Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Barbed wire "boobytrap" on bike path.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-16, 08:58 PM
seymour1910

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Got this article as an alert on my phone today. This guy was on his MTB, but it looks like a cross bike or road bike could be used on this MUP. The article says the wire was at neck height. I don't know why it still shocks me how cruel people can be, but it does.

Barbed wire 'boobytrap' discovered at throat height by cyclist on footpath
Old 03-13-16, 10:18 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
OMG, that's really crazy. Only a totally sociopathic sicko could do that kind of thing. I hope they find the monster responsible and get them off the street.
Old 03-13-16, 10:37 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
. This guy was on his MTB.... says the wire was at neck height.
Barbed wire 'boobytrap' discovered at throat height by cyclist on footpath
I hate it when my experience makes me sound (read?) like an old skeptic. But somehow.... I wouldn't invest a great deal of trust with the guy who "found" the trap and posted it on-line for thousands of views.
Old 03-14-16, 05:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I hate it when my experience makes me sound (read?) like an old skeptic. But somehow.... I wouldn't invest a great deal of trust with the guy who "found" the trap and posted it on-line for thousands of views.
What experience do you have that leads you to not trust the guy who found it?

Sure, it could be the guy fabricating the story for attention, but that's barely less crazy than those who actually do boobytrap trails, like this guy: Jackson Dempsey: Psychiatrist pleads guilty to bobby-trapping mountain bike trails with ropes and nails | Daily Mail Online

There are lots of stories of people setting various booby traps on paths, roads, and trails, so I'm curious what kind of experience you have which suggests the story is a sham? Needless to say, I'd be relieved if it were, but I'm under no illusions regarding the malicious things people can do.
Old 03-14-16, 06:29 AM
CNC2204
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They did the same thing for snowmobiles back in the day.
Old 03-14-16, 07:29 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Things like this happen with some frequency on mountain bike trails. "Ecoterrorists" claim that mountain bikers are ruining the land and hurting the wildlife.
Old 03-14-16, 07:58 AM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CNC2204
They did the same thing for snowmobiles back in the day.

Wow, at those speeds (snowmobiles) you're talking about killing someone.
Old 03-14-16, 08:35 AM
CNC2204
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Wow, at those speeds (snowmobiles) you're talking about killing someone.
Decap ....

Local farmers did it where i grew up by Wisconsin.

There was another farmer that woulds shoot rock salt at you with a shotgun.
Old 03-14-16, 08:37 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Things like this happen with some frequency on mountain bike trails. "Ecoterrorists" claim that mountain bikers are ruining the land and hurting the wildlife.
The best thing for nature is to get people out there who love being outside and have a stake in protecting it. IMO that includes getting people into cycling.
Old 03-14-16, 09:12 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
True, but this isn't a mountain bike trail, its a "country lane" as the story describes and the pictures show. It's flat and running b/w two fields.
Old 03-14-16, 09:30 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I believe it can happen, but I also understand skepticism that it may be made up in this attention driven / viral age.

I myself have come across curious outcroppings of thumbtacks on some of our bike routes where there might be considered to be some tension between cars and cyclists, so I know that there are some proper arseholes out there.
Old 03-14-16, 09:31 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Just a month ago, some lady in British Columbia was sentenced for booby trapping a mountain bike trail. It's unfortunately not unheard of.
Old 03-14-16, 09:36 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Mike Vandeman.
Old 03-14-16, 09:54 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Last summer the police was investigating lots of glass half dug on the MTB path that's also used for hiking and horse riding on the south suburbs of Chicago. Suspisions pointed to a disgruntled horse rider but last I hear no arrests were made.
The local police was very involved and took the incidents seriously.

I don't know what goes in the mind of an individual to do such a thing. It's a shame.
Old 03-14-16, 09:59 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
The son of a friend of my father died that way. On a dirtbike, not a bicycle, but still.
Old 03-14-16, 10:02 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Mike Vandeman.
Wrong forum!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-14-16, 10:05 AM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3372 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Just a month ago, some lady in British Columbia was sentenced for booby trapping a mountain bike trail. It's unfortunately not unheard of.
65-Year-Old Canadian Woman Sentenced After Being Filmed Booby Trapping Mountain Bike Trails in British Columbia - Mpora
Old 03-14-16, 10:06 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I am familiar with that report. Unfortunately... as some people age... their minds don't function well. Her actions were very likely related to a form of dementia. She mostly dragged big sticks/small logs into the pathways very near her home. A crude action in response to her internally generated anger. That was sad.

And as was in the story:
North Vancouver provincial court Judge John Milne ruled that a sentence was needed to make anyone else in a similar state of mind “sit up and take notice”, with the three year probation and 150 hours of community service being eventually decided upon, though unfortunately those hours will not be spend sculpting berms.

Often times the courts will sentence (victims?) of dementia to "house arrest"... knowing full well that they won't ever serve any sentence whatsoever. When the brain dies... the body stops moving. She likely isn't capable of any "community service" and surly won't live three years.

Rarely... in any human endeavor does anyone exert real effort (like a well constructed booby-trap).... with no chance of reward. Where is the reward in setting up such a barbed-wire trap.... and then just walking away? I would never stop near a booby-trapped area... as the stopping and dismounting would likely be the exact behavior the guys (with baseball bats) that set up the trap want you to do.

Or... maybe someone desperately hoping for a few thousand new facebook friends, and/or YouTube hits... is just trying to get attention.

I don't know! It could be a real wacko that set-up the trap. Or a demented near-by home owner (with good motor skills?). Maybe a park ranger or local cop... hoping to get a bit of over-time out of a (risk-free) new community danger. Who knows.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 03-14-16 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-14-16, 10:14 AM
Inpd

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do They Want Riders of Completely or Just Off Walkable Trails

I read some of these articles and its interesting.

Do these activist want riders off:

i) All trails since they cause too much damage to the environment.
ii) Off some walkable trails since its a safety issue.

ii) I can understand as I've nearly cleaned up a few riders on my MUP.

i) I don't know. Is there some sort of study showing that riders cause a lot of damage.
Old 03-14-16, 10:25 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratzinger
The best thing for nature is to get people out there who love being outside and have a stake in protecting it...
I'm thinking there's a decent chance that whoever strung up that barb wire thought they were protecting nature.
Old 03-14-16, 10:36 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I would never stop near a booby-trapped area... as the stopping and dismounting would likely be the exact behavior the guys (with baseball bats) that set up the trap want you to do.
What's the other option? Bunny hop the barbed wire and hope the next poor schmuck to come along sees it and has mad bunny hopping skills too?
Old 03-14-16, 10:37 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I'm thinking there's a decent chance that whoever strung up that barb wire thought they were protecting nature.
Originally Posted by Inpd
Do these activist want riders off:

i) All trails since they cause too much damage to the environment.
Has nothing to do with protecting "nature." It's about protecting a man-made structure: a trail. A trail is a band of dead area with little or no plants growing out of it, in contrast to the life all around it. They're ugly and stand out like a sore thumb. But they're very useful to people (and also to big animals, a lot of them use trails too).

Wheels can cause erosion on trails, which already have problems with erosion because trails aren't natural. That's why a lot of MTB people do volunteer work to build and maintain trails.
Old 03-14-16, 10:48 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I frequently see deer, coyotes, foxes, racoons, muskrats, woodchucks, even a mother beaver and two kits, using the paved trail along the fox river......
Old 03-14-16, 10:54 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
When I was still in Miami, some d-bags threw a box full of thumbtacks all over the bikelanes on the most popular weekend riding route in the city, knowing full well that there would be a few hundred cyclists riding at dawn the next morning. I got one flat, but there were literally 30-40 people stopped on the side of the road changing tubes since a large shop ride hit the patch at the same time and virtually all of them ended up flatting. Some good Samaritans came back with big brooms and cleared the paths, but I don't think anyone ever figured out who threw the tacks down.
Old 03-14-16, 11:01 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Had a similar issue on a popular trail in Sacramento as well

Bicyclist Encounters Booby Trap on American River Bike Trail | FOX40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.