Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 01:10 PM
Sldrvr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Insurance

I was just wondering if others on here have purchased bike insurance? I recently purchased a carbon frame road bike and with all the accessories, the total bill is a few thousand out of pocket so a loss or total loss accident would be financially painful to replace. I also know of a person that collided with a pedestrian on a bike path and got sued over it but luckily their homeowners covered it. then that premium went up. I'm also not sure if they covered damage to the bike. Either way, I am just curious to know whether others use it or not and what their thoughts are...
Old 11-01-16, 01:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I looked into it and decided it was not worth the cost.
Old 11-01-16, 01:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd see if Your Renters or Homeowners Policy covers it..

Yea they are not a charity and a claim can result in a rate boost to claw back what they paid out.

I dont worry about it I spent My Money Up front on Locks.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-01-16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 02:04 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Sldrvr
I was just wondering if others on here have purchased bike insurance? I recently purchased a carbon frame road bike and with all the accessories, the total bill is a few thousand out of pocket so a loss or total loss accident would be financially painful to replace. I also know of a person that collided with a pedestrian on a bike path and got sued over it but luckily their homeowners covered it. then that premium went up. I'm also not sure if they covered damage to the bike. Either way, I am just curious to know whether others use it or not and what their thoughts are...
A home owner's/renters policy rider can usually be added to cover loss in the event of the bike being stolen. That's what we use for our tractor's etc. Liability for an accident while biking, for example, is also typically only covered under home owners or a special umbrella policy, not typically with a specialty underwriter for a bike. I've not insured any of my bikes, but carry theft/mortality insurance on a show horse which operates on a similar principle to bike insurance. If my animal were to get loose on the highway and cause an accident, it would be my farm owner's umbrella policy that kicked in, not my horse policy. I know for my horse insurance, there are in reality only a very few underwriters, despite there being multiple agents representing multiple insurance companies. Buyers of this insurance of course talk amongst themselves and go with really a couple of agents more so than any other, at least in my sphere of the horse world. Rates for our particular niche in the horse world are pretty set, typically 3.2% of declared value. What is important is knowing how difficult this particular company/underwriter is to deal with on claims. Do they pay out, or do they make it more trouble than it's worth to actually get reimbursed for your loss?

I briefly used a different agent/underwriter and had a major medical rider added to my policy. When I actually used the major medical, I was pleased with the service....until renewal, when they wanted to excluded paying for anything that involved X leg indefinitely....made the decision whether to renew the major medical coverage or not an easy decision, lol. So, if you have a particular insurer in mind, I'd probably do some sleuthing to find out how there are in paying out in the event of a wreck, for example.
Old 11-01-16, 02:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
IME - specialized insurance policies are a great deal ----- for the insurance company and agent.

Otherwise, because it's hard to estimate and spread risk evenly, and the cost of administration is high, the costs will be higher than otherwise. Also keep in mind that these policies generally attract higher risk buyers, since low risk buyers won't see them as worth it.

Adding a bike to an existing policy is generally a much better bargain. Or you can roll the dice, save what you would pay in premiums to a sinking fund, and if the force is with you, have the dough needed if something happens, plus some change.

That said, consider that I'm an insurance skeptic, and know that I can generally beat the odds, and reserve insurance for "unaffordable" losses, like homeowners and auto liability. I tell you this, so you can judge my post fairly.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-01-16, 05:58 PM
Sldrvr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for the input, i think I will try and see if my homeowners has any type of rider that can be added. The stuff that i found was between $150 and $200 per year depending on deductible.
Old 11-01-16, 07:01 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sldrvr
Thank you everyone for the input, i think I will try and see if my homeowners has any type of rider that can be added. The stuff that i found was between $150 and $200 per year depending on deductible.
Many quality insurance companies include bikes as part of your personal property overage (renter's or homeowner's) so no rider needed.

I had two bikes replaced under my homeowner's policy. Total payout was $14k+

You really should read your policy...
Old 11-01-16, 07:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Keep in mind that when we speak about insurance we are really talking about two different things.

There is coverage against loss of the bike and there is liability in case riding the bike causes injury to another person's property or body.

These are two different things.

-Tim-
Old 11-01-16, 07:44 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Keep in mind that when we speak about insurance we are really talking about two different things.

There is coverage against loss of the bike and there is liability in case riding the bike causes injury to another person's property or body.

These are two different things.
"Most homeowners policies provide a standard amount of liability coverage (usually $100,000) per occurrence"

Again, folks need to read their policy...
Old 11-01-16, 09:09 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by pholuvr
"Most homeowners policies provide a standard amount of liability coverage (usually $100,000) per occurrence"

Again, folks need to read their policy...
If you quote something, it is great to provide a source.

My renters insurance would have covered loss/damages to bikes, but certainly would NOT have covered any sort of incident I caused riding them, unless on the property I controlled. Liability did not extend off my property.
Old 11-01-16, 09:22 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

My renters insurance would have covered loss/damages to bikes, but certainly would NOT have covered any sort of incident I caused riding them, unless on the property I controlled. Liability did not extend off my property.
LMGTFY Plenty of different policies to read there. Basic insurance 101 stuff regarding liabilty coverage.

Again, read your policy. Every policy that I have had (which mirrors the policies reflected in the link above) includes liability insurance that is not limited to my property.
Old 11-01-16, 09:54 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

LMGTFY Plenty of different policies to read there. Basic insurance 101 stuff regarding liabilty coverage.

Again, read your policy. Every policy that I have had (which mirrors the policies reflected in the link above) includes liability insurance that is not limited to my property.
Old 11-02-16, 03:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by pholuvr

As you point out, he personal liability coverage may not be limited to property related events, but it's rarely, if ever blanket and has numerous specific exclusions, such as occupational liability (ie medical malpractice) and some sort of vehicle exemption, which is why you buy car insurance separately. The exact wording of the vehicle exclusion is critical because a bicycle is a vehicle, and unless they use words like motor vehicle, what you do on the bicycle is not covered.

On the bright side, most auto policies allow you to buy "other vehicle" coverage, which is designed to extend the protection with you when you rent or borrow a car. I don't know the specific language in all policies, but mine in NYS said "vehicle" and did extend both PIP and liability to the bicycle (but, not the collision and comp).

So, it's never a mistake to take the time and READ the entire policy, and if in doubt asking the agent for a rider or addendum clarifying the finer points.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-02-16, 06:41 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The Erie Insurance HE7 homeowners policy covers your bike. Race it or not, its covered.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg