Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

are front racks actually practical on our bikes?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-17, 08:16 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

I'm looking at you guys on Steamrollers and trackish (not track, trackISH) frames. Are you actually able to carry much of anything in your baskets/racks before the bike behaves like doo-doo? On my Salsa Vaya I start to feel the weight after maybe 3-5 lbs. I cant imagine my Big Block would be much fun to ride under the same load.
Old 02-14-17, 08:51 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
You'd rather wear it on your back in a big stupid bag?
Old 02-14-17, 09:13 PM
Wspsux

Oh Scrod, you are an encyclopedia of threads past.
Old 02-15-17, 09:57 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's a lot easier to access your beer in a front basket. So there's that.

Old 02-15-17, 10:53 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My Cinelli Work has a rack and front bag and last night it was pretty loaded and no real issues. It still rode just fine. I wouldn't say overload your stuff on the front but some weight isn't so bad.
Old 02-15-17, 11:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I have never liked weight high in front and haven't used HB bags for 40 years but love the way my fix gear handles with Lowriders. I love that even large amounts of cargo weight down there barely affects how the bike handles when I come out of the saddle for hills, even very hard hills. I've weighed my panniers at 20 pounds each a few times.

If I ever have a basket on a bike it will be a pannier style basket on back on a geared bike. Now if you need access to beer, why not a 1950s style HB bottle cage?

Ben
Old 02-15-17, 07:43 PM
Wspsux

Originally Posted by veganbikes
My Cinelli Work has a rack and front bag and last night it was pretty loaded and no real issues. It still rode just fine. I wouldn't say overload your stuff on the front but some weight isn't so bad.
What do you usually carry? What rack/bag are you using? I'm considering an nitto M18 with zip ties and a basket.

Thanks
Old 02-15-17, 09:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux
What do you usually carry? What rack/bag are you using? I'm considering an nitto M18 with zip ties and a basket.

Thanks
I usually carry rain pants, jacket, tube and tools, a bar of some kind, iPod, Boombotix, work shirt, hat and on my way home I sometimes carry leftovers or a few small grocery items. It sometimes will vary as it is a new set up, I have only used it commuting but I plan some summer trips on some gravely paths and maybe some light camping or just hanging out for a while along the way with a hammock. I use a Nitto M12 with a Swift Industries Ozette Rando bag size M.

Here are some crappy pictures because I can't take good pictures with anything:
https://www.bikeforums.net/19319866-post154.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...l#post19319852
Old 02-15-17, 09:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
BITD (way back) I did a fair amount of light touring on my track bike. To be clear, in that era there weren't "street" fixies, except of home road bike conversions. So those of us riding rixed were mostly riding TRACK bikes with track geometries.

I never liked carrying any weight up front because I felt it added more polar inertia to the steering axis than I felt happy with. I'm not saying it's material, but it was for me. So, I carried my load as close to the saddle as possible, so the bike had similar seat of the pants handling properties as when bare.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-20-17, 04:01 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Never ran a front rack on the Kilo, but I do have one on the Tourist. The bike will handle a bit different, maybe even better (hard to explain). It'll track a bit different.

Personally, putting a rack (front or rear) on a skinny tire bike just looks odd to me. Just my opinion, though.
Old 02-21-17, 08:14 PM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
the velo orange porteur i have on the front of my paramount literally weighs as much as my bike.
Old 03-05-17, 05:50 PM
solidtyres

Bikes: YES

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Love the front basket on my fixed city bike, it's an old conversion , maybe with lower trail. But even when it's overloaded, it's an advantage to be able to see it and what's going on.
Old 03-05-17, 06:14 PM
pwebb

Bikes: Mash Work, Gunnar Crosshairs, Velo Orange Camargue

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a VO Passhunter Rack with a Wald 137 zipp-tied to it on my Mash Work Frame. I gosh damn love it too. With a six pack and stuff I prefer to keep my hands on the bars. But with lunch, tool rool and extra shirt for work it's great on my commutes and I'm getting comfortable with no hands riding. I can remove or install rack on bike in like 2 mins, literally involves loosening/tightening 3 nuts.

I did install the Wald 137 on my Samson NJS track bike when I first received it. It rode fine but the weight was noticeable even with a small load. I think if I had had the tools to shorten the legs that connect to the front axel, to lower the center of gravity it would have been less noticeable. I would highly recommend purchasing a Wald 137 and riding with it first to see if you appreciate the basket enough to further invest in a front rack and more expensive setup. Or if you have tools you can get a pretty nice setup with the Wald itself.

But to just to re-iterate: VO rack was originally bought for my Gunnar Crosshairs & a Swift bag + decauler? setup, which I loved & used extensively when i first got it. I rode that bike 80% of the time just because I loved the bag-decauler-rack setup. It helped lead me to get the Wald for the track bike in the first place, and if I'm being honest I currently have no clue when that setup will get used again because of how useful the Basket+Rack setup is on the Work frame.

TLR Front racks+baskets are sweet, even on track bikes
Old 03-05-17, 06:56 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hmm I am hoping to cop a Big Block soon and was thinking about throwing a front rack on there for a small duffle with EDC type stuff...nothing major