Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Modern lights on vintage bikes.....

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-09-20, 09:19 AM
interceptor
not revenge...punishment

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

Like the way vintage headlamps look on older bikes. Not that bright for night riding and I know that they come with led's.....but
newer lights are REALLY bright but I like the look of the older lights. Anyone have newer lights on their vintage bike?
I have a '70 Raleigh Sports and would like to know what you think or suggestions and some pics would be nice!
Old 02-09-20, 09:37 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
For the rear, there's this:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...retrofit-bulb/

However, if you're actually using your bike after dark, I'd just go with modern lighting, perhaps some thing easily removed for daytime. In the dark, no one can see what style the light is.

I like the Cygolite offerings:
https://cygolite.com/product/dice-hl-150-usb/
https://cygolite.com/product/dart-210-usb/
https://cygolite.com/product/hotrod-combo/

Last edited by John Nolan; 02-09-20 at 09:44 AM.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 02-09-20, 10:23 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
I just use some Light and Motion rechargeable lights with Planet Bike rear lights.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-09-20, 10:37 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I used a CygoLite Rover II but the high beam function has died and the light is long out of production. I liked the CygoLite Cross-fire beams as they lit up the entire two lane road which made it easy to see critters, like skunks, on the side of the road. Now I use a Magic Shine knockoff (external battery pack) and it had great range but the beam is a bit too narrow for my needs/wants. I'm thinking about getting an identical light and mounting both on the bike.

Sorry but I don't have an image of it.

Oops! I just found this image I took earlier today of my dropbar MIELE MTB with a ten 80 liter totes I bought this morning. The MagicShine knockoff light can be seen on the right of the image.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 02-09-20 at 10:53 AM. Reason: found an image of the light
Old 02-09-20, 11:37 AM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I’m a fan of modern lights on my vintage bikes. The Gemini Duo is a very bright LED headlight with three brightness settings and an external 2-cell battery pack in the front bag.

Eventually, I’d like to replace this with a SON Edelux II headlight powered by a SONDelux Wide Body generator hub.

The Cygolite Hotshot is an affordable rechargeable taillight that makes you visible to motorists. The Spanninga Pixeo is just plain cool and adds to my visibility on the road. It comes down to safety first over authenticity for me.

Gemini Duo front headlight, Cygolite Hotshot taillight mounted to seatpost and Spanninga Pixeo fender mounted taillight

Gemini Duo mounted to front fender

Gemini Duo headlight

Spanninga Pixeo and Cygolite Hotshot taillights

Last edited by Saguaro; 02-09-20 at 11:49 AM.
Likes For Saguaro:
Old 02-09-20, 12:34 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
With my Voyageur, I have a Light and Motion modern headlight attached to a Nitto rack with their optional light mount. I keep the battery in the acorn bag.

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-09-20 at 12:37 PM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-09-20, 06:12 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
southpawboston, who runs Velo Lumino does exactly what you describe - vintage housings for modern lights, among other things.
Old 02-09-20, 06:18 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Don't forget you can power good modern LED lights from a "bottle" generator that rubs on the tire, so you don't have to build a new front wheel. I just put one on my '50s Follis, with an IQ-X headlight, awesome lighting. I found one of those rubber caps that go over the drive wheel on the generator, which makes them a good bit quieter, and also makes the generator spin slower due to the cap being a larger diameter. The slower spin means less drag, and the IQ-X doesn't need all the output the generator is capable of, so it is fully bright even at slow riding speed. I think an even larger rubber cap might be worth trying -- maybe I'll try making one.

On another bike, I have a '50s Sturmey DynoHub (the only true Dynohub, since it is a trademark), powering an IQ Cyo. Plenty of light! The old DynoHubs are famous for putting out a pathetic amount of light, with the original incandescent bulbs, but the new LEDs are just that much better. New life for old Dynohubs. (They still weigh a ton though!)

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 02-09-20, 10:12 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
On my '51 Raleigh Lentos Tourist, I'm running a modern LED lamp with "retro" styling:

IMG_0111.JPG
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-09-20, 10:19 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Linus makes some classic looking lights, I haven't tried any of them myself however. I assume that they're LED, so probably "bright enough" to be seen.

https://www.linusbike.com/collection...ssories-lights
Old 02-09-20, 11:03 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
The B&M CYO lights provide plenty of light with the Dynohubs, as mentioned above. I have two Raleigh Sports bikes with Dynohubs and CYO and a 1988 Myata 1000 with a Shimano generator hub and a B&M IQ XS. They aren't retro looking, but they're not very big and I'd rather have the light than the looks.

Here's a blurry picture of a CYO on a 54 Sports:
Old 02-10-20, 08:17 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I have a Cygolite that I use from bike to bike when I ride.
Old 02-10-20, 09:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
LED bulbs that screw into old lights don't work very well in my experience because the illumination pattern is different from filament bulbs. The reflector isn't designed for them. It would be nice to use vintage lights on vintage bikes, but the newer lights are so much practicaler that I can't resist them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-10-20, 09:57 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nolan
For the rear, there's this:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...retrofit-bulb/

However, if you're actually using your bike after dark, I'd just go with modern lighting, perhaps some thing easily removed for daytime. In the dark, no one can see what style the light is.

I like the Cygolite offerings:
https://cygolite.com/product/dice-hl-150-usb/
https://cygolite.com/product/dart-210-usb/
https://cygolite.com/product/hotrod-combo/
Use them. Also, Planet bike for the rear, I like the "skippy" modes on the planet bike taillights. When I am driving, they are the easiest to spot and least ignored.
Old 02-10-20, 12:06 PM
drpaddle
Rolling Vintage Only

Bikes: About two dozen road, mountain, and tandem from 1940s to 1981.

Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts
Vintage style lights

For a recent tour, I used a Miller front light and a Union tail light, both with LED bulb upgrades. They looked appropriate on the 1970 Mondia. I powered them with a Shimano dynohub. I built 650b wheels anyway, so installing the hub was no extra effort. Were I to do this again, I would install a capacitor circuit to smooth out the flashing at low speed caused by AC power going to diode bulbs. The Union tail light was not adequately secured, and the bracket fatigued and broke while banging along a gnarly singletrack in Idaho.
As to bottle generators, I had too many rattle loose BITD to ever trust them. While I never crashed from that, I saw some nasty wrecked bikes with collapsed forks or stays come into the shop I worked at.

Old 02-10-20, 01:54 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
Velo Lumino - Bicycle Taillights, SP Dynamo Hubs, Integrated stem switches, Electronics
This is from a fellow BF member southpawboston
They look and work great.
Old 02-10-20, 02:16 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by drpaddle
For a recent tour, I used a Miller front light and a Union tail light, both with LED bulb upgrades. They looked appropriate on the 1970 Mondia. I powered them with a Shimano dynohub. I built 650b wheels anyway, so installing the hub was no extra effort. Were I to do this again, I would install a capacitor circuit to smooth out the flashing at low speed caused by AC power going to diode bulbs. The Union tail light was not adequately secured, and the bracket fatigued and broke while banging along a gnarly singletrack in Idaho.
As to bottle generators, I had too many rattle loose BITD to ever trust them. While I never crashed from that, I saw some nasty wrecked bikes with collapsed forks or stays come into the shop I worked at.

That's a great looking set up!

Are you satisfied with the light you are getting? It seems to me that how well an LED bulb works in a vintage housing would depend on the particular housing/reflector/lens and the bulb chosen. I suspect that any way you go is going to beat out a vintage light bulb pretty easily.

Vintage lights were mostly terrible. The point was primarily to be seen. The light was just enough to be able to avoid large potholes, black cats, or going over a cliff.
Old 02-10-20, 02:39 PM
drpaddle
Rolling Vintage Only

Bikes: About two dozen road, mountain, and tandem from 1940s to 1981.

Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts
The lighting from a modern unit with a shaped beam and antiflicker circuit would certainly be better than my retro upgrade effort. But, mine looks retro-cool and the modern ones do not. And, isn't that way more important on a vintage bike? My LED upgrade does put out more light than an incandescent bulb.
Old 02-11-20, 08:18 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Most modern lights can be a pretty good fit, especially if they are silver:

B+M IQ-XS

B+M IQ-X

Modded into a vintage light:

B+M Cyo Premium

Or simply modified to look more retro. A simple polish usually does a pretty good trick:

B+M Eyc - by LoursBlanc
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 02-11-20, 09:20 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I vote for new tech lights. After over 100 years, we finally have lights that are fully functional and yet light in weight and compact.

You cannot really see the lights I use (that's a good thing, they are so compact) but they are both installed on this bike.

The Cygolite front is bright enough to navigate by in total darkness.

The Dinotte rear is also bright enough there is no way to not be seen. It is bright enough to navigate with if were it to be brought up front.

If you really want a bright headlight, buy Dinotte rather than Cygolite. Cygolite is fantastically good but Dinotte is just that much better.

Be sure they are QD and take them with you or they will be stolen.

]

Last edited by Bad Lag; 02-12-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-11-20, 09:56 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Most modern lights can be a pretty good fit, especially if they are silver:

B+M IQ-XS

B+M IQ-X

Modded into a vintage light:

B+M Cyo Premium

Or simply modified to look more retro. A simple polish usually does a pretty good trick:

B+M Eyc - by LoursBlanc
Those are some great examples! Thanks.

FYI, there is a dedicated sub-forum for lighting in general here: https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/, though this thread is a nice look at the issue from a vintage perspective. I am in the market for a vintage-acceptable-looking dyno headlight. The B&M units are fab but pricey. What are some mid-priced options that are bright and focused enough for night riding?
Old 02-11-20, 10:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by jeirvine

FYI, there is a dedicated sub-forum for lighting in general here: https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/, though this thread is a nice look at the issue from a vintage perspective. I am in the market for a vintage-acceptable-looking dyno headlight. The B&M units are fab but pricey. What are some mid-priced options that are bright and focused enough for night riding?
Once you buy a B&M light, you realize you have not overpaid. It gives you a lot of peace of mind, because it won't be stolen, and it always lights up when you roll.

I put a B&M Eyc on my spouse's bike. It's tiny. Even this picture doesn't show how tiny it is.

I bought this light and a few other lights from xxcycle.com which is a French website. They seem to have every model and sub-model. I carefully choose the models that don't have a light sensor, because they reduce their outputs when there is daylight. I want full output.

Peter White warns us not to mount a bottle dynamo behind a stay or fork blade to prevent the worst kind of mishap. I suppose that's sensible, but I haven't always been able to do that. I check the installation frequently.

Here is the whole album on the dynamo and light I installed on my spouse's bike. I later installed a rear rack and a taillight.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 02-12-20, 05:56 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine

Yeah I know of that subforum. I posted a question about a taillight there but didn't get any responses so far.

As for B+M, they are pretty expensive in the US. PeterWhite sells the IQ-X for $163 (~€150) whereas many German retailers sell them for around €80 (~$85)like Bike24.com, Rosebikes.com or Bike-components.de.
Even with shipping that's still easily $30-60 cheaper. Sure, you might be spending more money if anything goes wrong with it but in general these are pretty durable lights.

Midrange options are the B+M Cyo T Premium at €50 or the B+M Eyc at €33.
Old 02-12-20, 07:37 AM
Bibi001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No bad
Old 02-12-20, 02:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Midrange options are the B+M Cyo T Premium at €50 or the B+M Eyc at €33.
I'm in the US, and that web site seems to adjust its prices according to that. The Cyo T costs 42€, and the Eyc costs only 28€. I say grab one of those. I've heard the Cyo T is great, and my spouse has the Eyc on her bike. The Eyc is excellent. I don't know why there aren't more like it, because it's small and super powerful.

Likes For noglider: