Old 05-05-20, 10:14 AM
GeneO

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Do laws prohibiting murder and manslaughter violate our rights?You guys have a resident Constitutional Law professor here, who rides solo centuries daily, that could easily explain this stuff to you.

Here are some of the rights implicated, since you obviously have not taken a civics or constitutional law class in your entire life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_assembly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion

Is this supposed to be funny? Who ever said those laws were not still in effect? 1 point for snark.

Look, if you don't have a problem paying taxes to a govt that's shut down and not doing its job, you have that right. Some people are not bothered by things like this, I am very concerned seeing my tax money wasted.

And if you have the resources to ride this thing out in Mommy's basement. more power to ya! Many of us do not have sick leave or benefits that will get us through this, and many small businesses will be forced to shut down. If you think this is funny, entertaining, and a good opportunity to score political points, I don't know what to say, maybe get your own late night political show.
I empathize being out of work and needing to agree we need to get the economy back and don't like to see the wasting of tax money. I wanted to understand how orders have suspended the Bill of Rights as you said, that's all.

Freedom of association is not being violated. You can join any group you want.
Freedom of assembly is limited to assembly for first amendment purposes and can be limited by local laws. For instance, it is not lawful to assemble in a building exceeding it's capacity as it is unsafe (like the social distancing and large group restrictions that have been put into place for safety).
I do not see how due process and Freedom of Religion come into play here. Nobody is being denied their right to practice the religion of their choice.

My snarkly comment was entirely meant to point out there are also laws as well as freedoms.

Last edited by GeneO; 05-05-20 at 10:33 AM.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 05-05-20, 02:19 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Do laws prohibiting murder and manslaughter violate our rights?You guys have a resident Constitutional Law professor here, who rides solo centuries daily, that could easily explain this stuff to you.

Here are some of the rights implicated, since you obviously have not taken a civics or constitutional law class in your entire life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_assembly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion

Is this supposed to be funny? Who ever said those laws were not still in effect? 1 point for snark.

Look, if you don't have a problem paying taxes to a govt that's shut down and not doing its job, you have that right. Some people are not bothered by things like this, I am very concerned seeing my tax money wasted.

And if you have the resources to ride this thing out in Mommy's basement. more power to ya! Many of us do not have sick leave or benefits that will get us through this, and many small businesses will be forced to shut down. If you think this is funny, entertaining, and a good opportunity to score political points, I don't know what to say, maybe get your own late night political show.
Well, since you're personally calling me out (no I don't claim to ride daily centuries although I was riding two a week last summer, not really practical right now), I'll just say that there's a whole bunch of constitutional law about the state being able to take measures that might otherwise be unconstitutional when the state has a compelling interest. The classic example that the courts have always given in this regard is the prevention of mass contagion. Yes, I know people are suffering, and there's nothing funny about that. But what is funny is your use of insults and overheated political rhetoric then acting like you're somehow being bullied and everyone else is making this political.

Meantime, the models are now predicting about twice as many deaths as they were about a week ago because of all of the loosening up of restrictions that's going on in various states. By June 1, it's predicted that we're going to have 3000 deaths a day. That's a lot worse than what's going on right now, and I'm not apologizing for seeing that as something that should be prevented if possible.

And just for the record, I rode a solo century last Saturday.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-05-20 at 02:27 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-05-20, 02:49 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8653 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 691 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I'd absolutely report that, and if they're doing it to "save" their business, they're idiots. More than likely they will lose their business permits as a result and there won't be an option to come back.

Biker395 's outdoor table situation is a close call, but since they're doing it out in the open, I wouldn't feel a need to report it, figuring that the public health officials have really made that determination that it's okay already.
Seems to me that should be quite workable... provided the tables/chairs are sanitized between patrons... A wipe with a strong bleach solution should do just fine... Or alcohol. Outdoors... so many feet apart.

My son and I who have not seen each other since this started, did a similar thing... sat outside, in camper chairs we each brought, had take out and a beer... while sitting 8 feet apart... (marked by parking space stripes) was nice to just talk and laugh together, and still maintain a safe environment.

Since we were outside, we avoided the issues of dirty door knobs, tables, menus etc. The food was perhaps the biggest issue, but it was supposedly "contactless" as it was delivered. I know at some point, someone put the food into the containers... so the containers (pizza box) itself was the biggest issue. The beers were wiped down with 90% alcohol before being opened.

And again, the whole positive social aspect was damn nice.

Last edited by genec; 05-05-20 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For genec:
Old 05-05-20, 03:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11396 Post(s)
Liked 3,037 Times in 1,691 Posts
Classic straw man argument. Literally no one said that.
Does that mean I donít have to incriminate myself at my upcoming trial? 😀
Old 05-05-20, 06:16 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Does that mean I donít have to incriminate myself at my upcoming trial? 😀
Trial?
Old 05-06-20, 02:14 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Old 05-06-20, 06:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11396 Post(s)
Liked 3,037 Times in 1,691 Posts
Trial?
Time trial, silly.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-06-20, 06:43 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Time trial, silly.
So I can exercise my right to counsel during a time trial? I need a lawyer fast enough to draft on.
Likes For livedarklions: