Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Do you think I can go cycling 20 miles away?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Do you think I can go cycling 20 miles away?

Old 05-05-20, 10:38 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 134 Posts
I'm just not sure why you leapt to switzerland other than to provide it as some sort of model. Which would be the very sort of leap you're lamenting others doing.
Old 05-05-20, 10:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 585 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Interesting ... simply suggest that there is evidence to support the notion that children are not primary vectors to adults, and you get an angry response and nonsense strawman arguments no one put forth (that children are expendable ... an appeal to fear that I flatly reject and an implication I frankly resent). I chalk it up to fear. Fear is a valuable human emotion. It allows us to make quick decisions when necessary, and it is a great motivator. But data and facts should be used to moderate fear so that it does not stop us from making the best decisions to minimize harm.
you & I don't disagree, I was thinking of the ex NJ politician & his recent comments: “We sent our young men during World War Two over to Europe, out to the Pacific, knowing, knowing that many of them would not come home alive,” he said, adding: “And we decided to make that sacrifice because what we were standing up for was the American way of life. In the very same way now, we have to stand up for the American way of life.”

who specifically is he willing to let die? himself? his kids? his parents? so glad he is not in charge of anything, anymore
Old 05-05-20, 10:51 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
I'm just not sure why you leapt to switzerland other than to provide it as some sort of model. Which would be the very sort of leap you're lamenting others doing.
You are literally reading things that are not there. I tried to share interesting information ... I apparently failed.

I'm done. Enjoy your blind fear.

Old 05-05-20, 10:55 AM
rumrunn6

you guys are reading things into people's statements that are simply not there
you're right, it's a big soup of information & opinion where one leads into another from other threads, or real life. this is a crisis & we're mostly all stuck at home freaking out. I went out the other day to the bike shop, not realizing my pants were on inside out. not until I went looking for pockets!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-05-20, 10:55 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
you & I don't disagree, I was thinking of the ex NJ politician & his recent comments: “We sent our young men during World War Two over to Europe, out to the Pacific, knowing, knowing that many of them would not come home alive,” he said, adding: “And we decided to make that sacrifice because what we were standing up for was the American way of life. In the very same way now, we have to stand up for the American way of life.”

who specifically is he willing to let die? himself? his kids? his parents? so glad he is not in charge of anything, anymore
Peace, man. FWIW, I'm glad whoever said that isn't in charge of anything too.

Old 05-05-20, 10:56 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 83 Posts
Please tell me where I suggested that SoCal do the same thing or anything of the sort. Seriously, you guys are reading things into people's statements that are simply not there.

Here you go ... I'll repeat my statement for you.

"Interestingly, there is emerging evidence that while parents infect kids under 10, there are few recorded incidents of kids under 10 infecting their parents. It is one of the reasons some jurisdictions are considering allowing schools to reopen."
Lets pause and use critical thinking here for a brief moment

How does it make any sense that children can't spread the infection...... What is biologically different?

Is the reason kids aren't passing it to parents because the gross little things haven't been in school passing their cooties around to each other?

Recorded cases is not a reasonable measure in the US, it's like saying we didn't have a covid problem in March because less than 500 people had been tested. A lack of information is not the same thing as evidence or facts.
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 05-05-20, 11:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11383 Post(s)
Liked 3,020 Times in 1,681 Posts
Mission accomplished.
Old 05-05-20, 11:12 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

You are literally reading things that are not there. I tried to share interesting information ... I apparently failed.

I'm done. Enjoy your blind fear.
Blind fear? Talk about literally reading things that aren't there.

You might have tried to share interesting information, but instead you made a snarky retort as to what Switzerland was doing. The reality is whatever the situation is like in switzerland it's simply not the same here. We have demonstrated a consistent lack of concern and planning around the health and well being of front line workers. And that is generally not mentioned when people rev up the open the schools the children are safe routine.
Old 05-05-20, 11:17 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12035 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Anything else we non-white people should know?
Today is taco Tuesday. And Cinquo de Mayo.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-05-20, 11:20 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Toadmeister View Post
you just described a police state.

im not saying your wrong, but that’s the sad state of times we live in. Even more sad is we have a tracking device on us at all times.

”Papers pleaze”
​​​​​​Chinese authorities went door to door, pulling everyone with a fever out of their homes and sending them to quarantine camps.

You're saying it's a police state because police here arrest criminals and it's wise to carry ID in case there might be a criminal that looks like you.

Old 05-05-20, 11:32 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Mission accomplished.
famous last words
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-05-20, 11:56 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

The problem doesn't necessarily have to do with the kids

You see, Skinner isn't respecting social distance.

He's in constant contact with lunch lady Doris, who has comorbidity issues. She smokes, doesn't eat very well, and is a bit overweight. She has the beginnings of type 2 diabetes.

Grounds keeper Willie while in really good shape (the guy is ripped), drinks. And is just plain unlucky. He's a stressed out guy and that probably doesn't help.

So maybe Bart or Lisa or Millhouse pass it along. Or maybe it's Skinner. Or maybe Skinner gets it from Willie and then passes it to his mom.

In any case the more stuff that opens the more this will spread. Death rates are being revised upwards by the administration based on how much stuff will open up.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-05-20, 11:58 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
​​​​​​Chinese authorities went door to door, pulling everyone with a fever out of their homes and sending them to quarantine camps.

You're saying it's a police state because police here arrest criminals and it's wise to carry ID in case there might be a criminal that looks like you.

I refuse to voluntarily live where that’s the norm. I understand if I travel there that might be the case. Our rights are being eroded in this country and most will go along with it in the name of safety and security.
Old 05-05-20, 12:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast View Post
Is the reason kids aren't passing it to parents because the gross little things haven't been in school passing their cooties around to each other?
My family hasn't been sick at all with anything for six weeks. Before that my oldest was in kindergarten and the twin littles in daycare, and we were pretty much sick all the time. So you can guess my vote.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-05-20, 12:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Toadmeister View Post
I refuse to voluntarily live where that’s the norm. I understand if I travel there that might be the case. Our rights are being eroded in this country and most will go along with it in the name of safety and security.
There's a political subforum on BF for questions about how an individual's right to participate in society should intersect with other peoples' right not to be harmed. So I'm just here to say we're a long way off from being a police state, based on actual police states.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-05-20, 12:47 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 470 Posts
Interestingly, there is emerging evidence that while parents infect kids under 10, there are few recorded incidents of kids under 10 infecting their parents. It is one of the reasons some jurisdictions are considering allowing schools to reopen.

New Studies Add to Evidence that Children May Transmit the Virus

https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...e.abb8001.full
https://zoonosen.charite.de/fileadmi...atient-age.pdf
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 05-05-20, 01:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11383 Post(s)
Liked 3,020 Times in 1,681 Posts
So I'm just here to say we're a long way off from being a police state, based on actual police states.
IKR. That's why I hate the term "lockdown." What uninfected person in this country is truly legally not allowed to leave the house, much less being physically restrained from doing so, like, you know, when prison inmates are in lockdown? Be able to go to your favorite watering hole or Disneyland doesn't count. If you need to mischaracterize a situation to make an argument you don't have much of an argument. And I find it funny how so many "preppers" are complaining about not being able to get haircuts.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-05-20, 01:09 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast View Post
Lets pause and use critical thinking here for a brief moment

How does it make any sense that children can't spread the infection...... What is biologically different?

Recorded cases is not a reasonable measure in the US, it's like saying we didn't have a covid problem in March because less than 500 people had been tested. A lack of information is not the same thing as evidence or facts.
All good questions ... I wondered that myself. I'm not an epidemiologist. I have no idea why it is that children may not be a good vector to adults, or whether they in fact are or are not. Just this morning I read a study showing that COVID has mutated into a more transmissible form, leaving one to wonder if any data or policy in one country is applicable to another (I offer this despite the fact that there are those here who will jump down my throat for offering the information or post silly cartoons in response):

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...054v1.full.pdf

Let me repeat what I said above:

""Interestingly, there is emerging evidence that while parents infect kids under 10, there are few recorded incidents of kids under 10 infecting their parents. It is one of the reasons some jurisdictions are considering allowing schools to reopen."

Yes, I find it interesting and wonder if it is true and why. If other countries allow schools to reopen, I guess we will see how it works out for them.

Old 05-05-20, 02:53 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

That second link is interesting. They posit that perhaps the reason for less transmission from children to adults is that they are more likely to be asymptomatic, and thereby less likely to spread by coughing (or because they exhale less, by breathing). But children are children and they are not known for keeping their distance from people, so they advise caution and getting more data regarding viral loads before proceeding.

Thanks for the link!

Old 05-05-20, 04:20 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 247 Posts
That was communism in action.
Old 05-06-20, 02:50 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
I fully expected this, and it never happened.

Its unlikely that this happened at any massive scale, that's a lot of doors, the manpower doesn't exist for that to scale across the WHOLE country.

I'd hate to be a student in P.E. class right now.