Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1987 Nishiki Pueblo

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1987 Nishiki Pueblo

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 08:41 PM
Cyclist30923
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
1987 Nishiki Pueblo

I rescued this bike from my late father's garage when we were getting the house ready to sell. It started life out as a 15-speed mountain bike. I took it home and gave it a good cleaning. I then installed all new bearings in the wheels, rebuilt the loose ball bottom bracket, and replaced all the cables and rear brake pads. I also installed a new chain. After riding it for about 500 miles, the old freewheel failed miserably, and I had to ride home about 3 miles of uphill with a headwind. I soon discovered that a frozen freewheel turns a multi-speed bike into an instant fixed-gear!! I subsequently installed a new 6 speed Shimano freewheel, which was a drop in fit with the friction shifters. After riding it some more, I decided to convert it to a flat-bar roadbike, and installed more efficient road tires. I also just recently removed the two chainrings I was not using and the bike is now a 1 X 6 speed.

This bike has really been a fun project. I managed to put together a decent tool set as a result of it, including purchasing a bike workstand. I have ridden bikes a long time, but before this project, I would take them to the LBS when they needed repairs. Not anymore!!

This bike weighs considerably less than it did before after losing two chainrings, the kickstand, one of the shifters and other parts. It really flies, and is now offcially my favorite bike to ride. I'm so glad my brother did not throw it out in his haste to sell the house!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN5018.jpg (1.14 MB, 69 views)
DSCN5020.jpg (1.03 MB, 68 views)
DSCN5022.jpg (918.9 KB, 67 views)
DSCN5023.jpg (1.17 MB, 68 views)
DSCN5024.jpg (1.01 MB, 66 views)
Old 05-05-20, 10:29 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Good job. That bike really shines. Good pictures too.

Is that a 14-28 cog freewheel? Do you ever wish for more gears or a wider span of gears?
Old 05-07-20, 08:23 PM
Cyclist30923
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Good job. That bike really shines. Good pictures too.

Is that a 14-28 cog freewheel? Do you ever wish for more gears or a wider span of gears?
Thanks for the compliment! Yes it is a 14/28 6 speed. I have considered putting an 8 speed on it but would have to cold stretch the frame. I will likely go with a 7 speed, as it should only require a spacer to make more space for the smallest gear.