Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

650b tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 05:31 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
650b tyres?

I'm looking for low-priced ones - anyone know of a good deal?
Old 05-12-20, 05:37 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
The usual trade-offs apply. Do you need good puncture protection? Long tread life? Low rolling resistance?

I'm using Panaracer Pari Motos. They're very inexpensive and very supple, but they have poor puncture protection and very short tread life. If you're willing to give up some speed and comfort for better puncture protection, there's also a gravel version of the Pari Motos.

I'm told the more expensive René Herse tires are more than worth their cost, but I've been avoiding them because I don't need that kind of addiction.
Old 05-12-20, 05:51 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Col de Vies are basicly a 650b/38 Pasela, for better or worse.
Old 05-19-20, 07:52 AM
timdaw

Bikes: Herse, Singer, Barra, Pitard, Goeland, Ferrand etc..

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
I'm looking for low-priced ones - anyone know of a good deal?
Good luck with that! Because of the limited range, the prices seem to be very much on the high side.
Old 05-19-20, 02:19 PM
hankamania

Bikes: Peugeot PX10, Miyata 712, Surly LHT, Schwinn Peloton, Guerciotti Aelle, Schwinn SuperSport, Peugeot Orient Express, GT Avalanche, Motobecane Nemesis, Trek 330, no-name Chinese carbon bike, and a Soma Fog Cutter V2..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Michelin Wild Run'r goes for $20-$25US on ebay. My Mom has those on her '86 Miyata 912 and likes them a lot so far. No flats in a year and a half.
Old 05-19-20, 02:43 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by hankamania
Michelin Wild Run'r goes for $20-$25US on ebay. My Mom has those on her '86 Miyata 912 and likes them a lot so far. No flats in a year and a half.
how do they feel?
Old 05-19-20, 02:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by hankamania
that is truely budget man!
https://www.modernbike.com/michelin-wild-runr-tire-27.5-x-1.4-black
https://www.modernbike.com/michelin-....5-x-1.4-black
Old 05-19-20, 03:34 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
The "magic" of 650B, to the extent that there is any magic, lies in the cushion of wider tires, and to get good performance from the wide tires, they need to be very supple. You can get 650B Panaracer Paselas, but I'm pretty sure they would ride like a heavy (500g) version of the Pasela on 700c rims. If you're going to drink the kool aid, you need to mix it according to the directions. if you make a pitcher of kool aid but don't add sugar, it's kind of gross. When I was researching the Panaracer Pari Motos, the consensus seemed to be that they were basically a thinner version of the René Herse (then Compass) tires -- similar ride at half the cost, but they'd wear out twice as soon. I was willing to give that a go to dip my toe in the water. I wore out my first pair in about 500 miles (they developed a bulge in the tread). I got a very good price on another set, so I stuck with them. After that, we'll see.
Old 05-19-20, 03:36 PM
boatsinbottles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Col de Vies are basicly a 650b/38 Pasela, for better or worse.
Col de la Vies have a different tread that goes squirly. There is a legit 650B Pasela now. I think it's been out for a couple or three years now. Also the Soma B-Sides are also basically a 38mm 650B Pasela.

I have a pair of all black 1.75" (42mm) 650B Panaracers that came on a bike I bought used. I think they're T-Serves, with plenty of life. I'd let them go for, say, $45 shipped. I Also have some brand new all black folding bead Panaracer Pari Moto 38s that I'd sell for the same.
Old 05-19-20, 03:38 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
What style of riding do you need them for? I absolutely love my Deliums because of the aggressive tread and wear like a tank. But they're a very heavy tire. When I got my first set I thought they'd sent me motorcycle tires by mistake. But no more spin outs on climbs. Wheelies yes, spin outs no. I paid about $15./tire with free shipping on the bay.
I should add that I'm switching to Wardens this summer only because I picked up a pair brand new on the bay for $17. total w/free shipping. Couldn't pass them up and was shocked when I won the auction. Very aggressive tread pattern. Did I mention that I like aggressive tread?
Old 05-19-20, 08:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Panaracer Paselas have always seemed to be a decent value, a good blend of rideability, dependability, and cost.

Almost all of my bikes have Compass Rene Herse tires, but I do have a commuter that has Paselas. The difference in ride is very noticable. I've also had 1 flat on my regular commuter (Paselas) in 2 years, Maybe a half dozen or more on the Rene Herse tires.
Old 05-19-20, 10:05 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by gugie
Panaracer Paselas have always seemed to be a decent value, a good blend of rideability, dependability, and cost.

Almost all of my bikes have Compass Rene Herse tires, but I do have a commuter that has Paselas. The difference in ride is very noticable. I've also had 1 flat on my regular commuter (Paselas) in 2 years, Maybe a half dozen or more on the Rene Herse tires.
i am sure the rene herse tires rock.