Old 05-06-20, 02:27 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
You can keep 12 feet away while shopping? Where is this store? I want to go to there.
Well not in Costco...

The grocery where I shop has even implemented one-way traffic in the aisles. I can imagine it's more difficult the the densely populated northeastern metro areas.
Old 05-06-20, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,481 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLizard View Post
Well not in Costco...

The grocery where I shop has even implemented one-way traffic in the aisles. I can imagine it's more difficult the the densely populated northeastern metro areas.

My area has too many "rebels" who think they're making some sort of statement by going the wrong way down the aisles. I'm gloved and masked in there, and it's not virtue signalling. Some people just seem to feel a need to impose their jerkdom on others.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-06-20, 09:21 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 29 Posts
For a crew that argues over chain lube , this should be a no brainer, not that that was a rare condition even before Zika.

WE ARE GONNA ALL NEED MASKS UNTIL THIS IS OVER, ONES THAT WORK
. THIS IS FOR THEM not you! but it gets back to make you safer,too..
There IS data to support this:
https://www.wired.com/story/are-runn...ding-covid-19/
for a start, but there are many that strongly suggest it helps.

ALSO
wearing it all the time keeps your hands off a contaminated mask and your face, and reminds you that YOUR hands may be contaminated
It reduces viral load on exposure, even at low levels. it helps some avoid a very real tragedy. Reducing load reduces disease.
Until the studies on antibody testing gets done you need to opt on the side of safety. you are not smarter than the disease.

THINK: "WHAT IF IT'S ME WHO IS THE SPREADER?" "WHAT IF IT'S MY ASYMPTOMATIC FRIEND?"
Do you really want to be the one who suffocates your buddy's grandparents?

Some real selfishness gets passed around here
Do your part

Last edited by bikebikebike; 05-06-20 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 10:00 PM
1964GTO

Bikes: 1972 Peugeot, 2012 Giant Sedona, 2020 Trek FX-2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

I'm liking a mask for the cold mornings, but summer is almost here.
Old 05-06-20, 10:30 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 810 Posts
The fabric masks aren't just pointless-- they're worse, as they are ripe for cross-contamination. Watch a random person wearing a mask. They will unconsciously (or consciously) touch it a few times a minute-- were they sure to touch nothing else before? No door handles, no items on shelves, no POS keypads? It's potentially contaminated from the first touch.

But I wear one so I can get into the store, because this state won't let you into a store without one. It's pointless. But we're forced to do pointless things every day. The only reason I'll wear one on a bike is if it's cold. And it's not. So no mask.
Old 05-06-20, 11:40 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
The fabric masks aren't just pointless-- they're worse, as they are ripe for cross-contamination. Watch a random person wearing a mask. They will unconsciously (or consciously) touch it a few times a minute-- were they sure to touch nothing else before? No door handles, no items on shelves, no POS keypads? It's potentially contaminated from the first touch.

But I wear one so I can get into the store, because this state won't let you into a store without one. It's pointless. But we're forced to do pointless things every day. The only reason I'll wear one on a bike is if it's cold. And it's not. So no mask.
The purpose of the mask is to minimize viral shedding if you’re infected and asymptomatic. It doesn’t really matter if you touch the mask; it will still limit the spread of virus droplets. It’s a courtesy to others.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 05-07-20, 07:00 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Originally Posted by bikebikebike View Post
For a crew that argues over chain lube , this should be a no brainer, not that that was a rare condition even before Zika.

WE ARE GONNA ALL NEED MASKS UNTIL THIS IS OVER, ONES THAT WORK
. THIS IS FOR THEM not you! but it gets back to make you safer,too..
There IS data to support this:
https://www.wired.com/story/are-runn...ding-covid-19/
for a start, but there are many that strongly suggest it helps.

ALSO
wearing it all the time keeps your hands off a contaminated mask and your face, and reminds you that YOUR hands may be contaminated
It reduces viral load on exposure, even at low levels. it helps some avoid a very real tragedy. Reducing load reduces disease.
Until the studies on antibody testing gets done you need to opt on the side of safety. you are not smarter than the disease.

THINK: "WHAT IF IT'S ME WHO IS THE SPREADER?" "WHAT IF IT'S MY ASYMPTOMATIC FRIEND?"
Do you really want to be the one who suffocates your buddy's grandparents?

Some real selfishness gets passed around here
Do your part

I don't know what point you're making with the Wired story because it says anything but that this is a no-brainer.

The kind of riding I do poses as close to zero risk to anyone else as possible unless they deliberately decide to approach me (see my thread on the imperialist group riders). Generally, I am very successful at not getting within 15 feet of anyone, and even at that distance, it's only for a second or two. Masks, heavy breathing and glasses are a far more dangerous combination to me and others as it's quite likely to cloud my vision and/or displace my eyewear while riding. I'm also not sure of the cardiovascular effects of impeding airflow and at 59, that's an experiment I'm not willing to try.

I agree that if I had to ride in heavy foot and bike traffic that a mask would be appropriate, but I'd also be riding there at much slower speeds.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-20, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
The purpose of the mask is to minimize viral shedding if you’re infected and asymptomatic. It doesn’t really matter if you touch the mask; it will still limit the spread of virus droplets. It’s a courtesy to others.

Anything that reduces the amount of virus in the air in a highly populated closed setting is a good idea. It's about protecting the store's staff as much as anything. Just from a selfish perspective, wear your mask in the store if you want it to stay open.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-20, 07:40 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 174 Posts

Buy several, wash them, perceived problem solved.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 05-07-20, 07:58 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
Buy several, wash them, perceived problem solved.
You are aware of how contamination occurs, correct? An infected by asymptomatic person breathing moist air into a fabric mask for hours will inevitably touch that mask-- and now the virions are potentially on their hands. So long as they don't touch anything else, that doesn't matter. But they are going to touch something, and then they're going to move viral load from their body to another surface. Coronavirus particles range from 0.06-0.14 microns. Anything short of a HEPA filter isn't stopping it.
Old 05-07-20, 08:34 AM
bobwysiwyg

You are aware of how contamination occurs, correct?
Yes.
Old 05-07-20, 01:49 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
You are aware of how contamination occurs, correct? An infected by asymptomatic person breathing moist air into a fabric mask for hours will inevitably touch that mask-- and now the virions are potentially on their hands. So long as they don't touch anything else, that doesn't matter. But they are going to touch something, and then they're going to move viral load from their body to another surface. Coronavirus particles range from 0.06-0.14 microns. Anything short of a HEPA filter isn't stopping it.
Sounds like you think you know more than the experts.
Old 05-07-20, 02:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

On the efficacy of facemasks, regarding whether or not masks stop viral transmission from infected persons, "One study, published April 6 in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, found that they did not. That study, led by South Korean researchers, involved asking four patients with COVID-19 to cough into a petri dish 7.8 inches (20 centimeters) away. The patients coughed without masks, while wearing a disposable surgical mask and again wearing a 100% cotton mask. Neither mask meaningfully decreased the viral load coughed onto the petri dishes... One thing everyone does agree on is that, whatever containment provided by non-fitted masks do provide, homemade fabric masks are the least effective."
Old 05-08-20, 04:09 AM
bobwysiwyg

On the efficacy of facemasks, regarding whether or not masks stop viral transmission from infected persons, "One study, published April 6 in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, found that they did not. That study, led by South Korean researchers, involved asking four patients with COVID-19 to cough into a petri dish 7.8 inches (20 centimeters) away. The patients coughed without masks, while wearing a disposable surgical mask and again wearing a 100% cotton mask. Neither mask meaningfully decreased the viral load coughed onto the petri dishes... One thing everyone does agree on is that, whatever containment provided by non-fitted masks do provide, homemade fabric masks are the least effective."
7.8" are you serious? I don't consider that social distance under any circumstance save for a loved one.
Old 05-08-20, 01:54 PM
brewerkz 

Bikes: 2010 Schwinn Madison, 1988 Colnago Super, 1946 Higgins Ultralite.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
'If I am outside, and I walk past someone, remember it is “dose and time” needed for infection. You would have to be in their airstream for 5+ minutes for a chance of infection. While joggers may be releasing more virus due to deep breathing, remember the exposure time is also less due to their speed."Erin S. Bromage, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor of Biology at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. Dr. Bromage graduated from the School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences James Cook University, Australia where his research focused on the epidemiology of, and immunity to, infectious disease in animals. His Post-Doctoral training was at the College of William and Mary, Virginia Institute of Marine Science in the Comparative Immunology Laboratory of late Dr. Stephen Kaattari.

Dr. Bromage’s research focuses on the evolution of the immune system, the immunological mechanisms responsible for protection from infectious disease, and the design and use of vaccines to control infectious disease in animals. He also focuses on designing diagnostic tools to detect biological and chemical threats in the environment in real-time.

Dr. Bromage joined the Faculty of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in 2007 where he teaches courses in Immunology and Infectious disease, including a course this semester on the Ecology of Infectious Disease which focused on the emerging SARS-CoV2 outbreak in China.
Old 05-09-20, 05:14 PM
switchblade 327

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
mask

I live in rural Pa, farm country. I don't care what Wolf says, I will not be wearing a mask to cycle.
Old 05-09-20, 05:21 PM
bobwysiwyg

There is a proper way to put on and remove a mask intended to avoid this.

Old 05-11-20, 10:49 AM
peterraymond

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
masks

There are some studies floating around that I haven't seen personally that most transmission occurs when people are together in an enclosed space for some period of time. I think that implies that it takes some level of virus to infect you. I think it also implies that it's the aerosols, since the larger drops fall. Or maybe it means that the transmission happens because people touch multiple contaminated surfaces and then touch their face. Or maybe...

In NYC they are doing a lot to stop transmission. Based on some models they should have zero new cases, but they don't. Really, we still have a lot we don't understand, but the countries where people just assume that everyone wears masks all the time have done better than we have. I also heard on some show last night that the states and countries where restrictions are relaxing are starting to move back towards exponential growth. If we want things to get better, even ignoring starting to open things up, we need to be doing more.

We went for a walk in a state park nearby yesterday. It seemed like either people have gotten tired of exercising, or just that it was mother's day, but it was a nice day and crowds were still down. So were masks. Quite a few bike riders and very few masks. Lots of fishing along the banks, but very few masks there too. It was slightly stressful. It seemed we were responsible for crafting a path through all these unprotected people.

The very first walk I went on in the same park after social distancing became a thing was pretty different. We almost all were moving off the path as someone came towards us and we were exchanging friendly - we're all in this together - greetings. That was when I realized that staying away from other people isn't a rejection, it's a friendly considerate act. No matter our personal opinions, it's inconsiderate to act in ways that make other people uncomfortable. You may think it's safe, but none of us really know. And, so what if the chances are low? Anything you do to make things better, makes things better. Even if it's only psychological. And then, we can be safer than we need to be, so why not?

I'll admit though I am not 100% off the charts in this direction. After all I've said, while I have probably stopped riding on the paths, I do still ride on quiet country roads with no walkers and few bikes and I do it without a mask. On our walk we also covered and uncovered as we came near people. Statistically we probably also touched our faces too. And I forgot to wash my hands first thing when I got home as well. It's hard in ways.
Old 05-13-20, 10:53 AM
peterraymond

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A couple quick things.

First, some pro mask propaganda:
https://masks4all.co/

And this from an email I just got. They recommend and will sell you one:
At Bicycle Colorado, we are encouraging all bicyclists to wear a mask whenever they go out for a ride to protect themselves, their fellow bicyclists and everyone else they may interact with when out for a spin. We want all bicyclists to do their part to flatten the curve, even while recreating. That’s why we have partnered with our friends at Primal Wear to create Bicycle Colorado face masks! We announced the masks on social media last week and our first order sold out within hours. We heard from a lot of you that you still wanted a chance to get one, so we’ve decided to place another order—tomorrow at noon.

Pre-order yours now at our online store before we place tomorrow’s order! Proceeds go toward supporting our work to make bicycling more convenient, more safe and more accessible in Colorado.
Likes For peterraymond:
Old 05-13-20, 12:44 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Of course they recommend you one-- they sell them. I just put in about 90 minutes, and at no time during the ride did I come within even 30 feet of another person. They keep telling us we're "wearing the masks for others." No others, no need for a mask.
Old 05-13-20, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Of course they recommend you one-- they sell them. I just put in about 90 minutes, and at no time during the ride did I come within even 30 feet of another person. They keep telling us we're "wearing the masks for others." No others, no need for a mask.

I'm with you on this. I rode a century last Sunday that didn't get me within 20 feet of another human being I can imagine riding situations where it might make sense to wear a mask, but it just isn't the kind of riding I do. I usually ride where people ain't, and now I'm just being a little more careful to do so consistently.
Old 05-14-20, 06:08 AM
IsleRide 

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1979 Trek 710, 1997 Scott Mohaka, 2005 Rivendell Rambouillet, 2019 Rivendell Appaloosa

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
The town to the north of me, which has been a big part of my cycling destinations, has officially mandated masks for any outdoor activity including parks and MUPs. Last week I tied a bandana around my neck just to be prepared but I had no intention of riding with it in place.

I'll be riding today and will likely avoid the local MUP entirely and stick to the roads. It's now become the safer (and saner) place to ride.
Old 05-14-20, 07:49 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 131 Posts
masked

masks aren't much but they are better than no masks ... masks should be mandated ... ameriKa has given away 3 TRILION + dollars & shut down ... a mask is an acknowledgement of community citizenship and participation in the common cause of TRYING to temper this outbreak ... meanwhile in wackworld every self styled gun monkey & doomer keeps itching to be free & maskless > the same great unwashed crowd that used to say EVERYONE needed to wear an America flag pin to PROVE they believed in ameriKa
Old 05-18-20, 06:27 PM
peterraymond

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
masks

I think Bicycle Colorado is looking out for all of us and trying to maintain the reputation of bicyclists when they recommend masks. They do seem like a reputable non-profit and lobby for legislation to help all cyclists. As far as offering the masks, of course it's part of their fundraising and Primal is at least in part doing it to help their image, but I can't be too cynical in this case.

And yes, I'm riding out on the roads away from people so I feel OK not wearing a mask. And, like some club rides, I obey traffic lights and only "observe" stop signs. But I have quit riding on MUPs because there are just to many people. We were doing some social rides with electric bike riding spouses at 12 mph on flat bike paths. For those I wore a mask.
Old 05-20-20, 11:34 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
I can't see this continuing, at least outdoors when the weather gets hot. (35C+)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.