Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Riding masked

Old 04-20-20, 04:17 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Just so that it's not assumed there is a general consensus, this isn't true. The N95 has two advantages, neither of which renders other masks useless. They seal against your face better (you can emulate that with other masks) and they stop 95% of 1micrometer droplets (which isn't the primary transmission, if at all). Furthermore, even lesser masks stop some percentage of these particles; something less that 95% but definitely more than "little or none"

II think you'll agree though that the *best* protection against contracting COVID-19 is avoidance.
I suppose it depends on how you define the difference between "little or none" (I actually said "pretty small or zero") and "some percentage." From what I have seen home made masks are more about protecting others than yourself. There is new data all the time, though ... have you any to offer?

What did I say that led you to believe I don't believe it to be wise to avoid COVID-19?

Last edited by Biker395; 04-20-20 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 05:18 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I suppose it depends on how you define the difference between "little or none" (I actually said "pretty small or zero") and "some percentage." From what I have seen home made masks are more about protecting others than yourself. There is new data all the time, though ... have you any to offer?

What did I say that led you to believe I don't believe it to be wise to avoid COVID-19?
Frankly it's never been medical wisdom that masks (other than N95) don't help. Certain elements of the CDC put that out - briefly - because they wanted to avoid a run on masks. And even then, they didn't go that far. The line was couched in qualifiers. Because you're not wearing it right. Because other masks won't fit. Because unless you take other precautions it won't help. Because your mask won't stop aerosols (and never mind that COVID-19 isn't transmitted by aerosols, a tiny fraction (hypothetically possible) if at all. But all the qualifiers were lost and people simply believed, "Masks don't help unless you're infected". There's no "new data" to prove it; ALL the data supported that these masks do help, and has from the beginning.

It boomeranged on the CDC because as people realized that it wasn't true, they lost trust and started buying up masks and other PPE. If they'd been straight from the beginning it wouldn't have happened. The CDC has reversed itself and it's not just a sop to the uninformed masses.

And I said "I think you'll agree" because I think you'd agree with me BTW, not because I thought you disagreed.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 04-20-20, 05:47 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
The valve is only for ease of exhaling. Has nothing to do with the effectiveness (for you) and reduces the effectiveness for those you are try to not share your germs with. In fact, in critical medical settings, the valve N95s aren't allowed.

Of the Home Depot masks, the more expensive ones with the two yellow straps are the better by far. Not N95 but very effective in keeping larger stuff out because (if you are careful) they seal well. I used those masks daily in my years of fiberglass sailboat building (in dust, not vapor; there I used a charcoal filter respirator). I'm using those good Home Depot/3M ones these days, along with one of those women's all-purpose sleeves to compensate for the poor lower fit because of my beard. (The sleeves have a poor fit around the nose. Steamed glasses; just like the poor single strap dust masks.)

Ben
I think that valve would help with the fogging of my glasses. Without the valve a lot of the exhaling goes up to the glasses. I think most people are motivated by self preservation. So masks that protect the wearer make much more sense. Protecting others is just a side benefit. Even with the valve, if i cough, that would be caught. and my normal exhaling would not be filtered by the home-made masks anyway.

I also have one of the VOC masks (with removable dual-filters) that I used when painting a bike frame. But that almost looks like a WWI gas mask and makes breathing harder.

I know this is a bike forum.... but this is like telling everyone they should buy a car that is safe for other participants, but has almost no safety features that protect the occupants. And I rather play it safe for myself. just 2 weeks ago they said we should not use masks and only proper masks should be used by medical staff. Now they say home made mask should be worn, and medical staff should recycle PPE and also can wear bandanas. Why wouldn't the same authorities declare next week something contradictory again? I probably should have worn a mask many weeks ago, when the authorities said there is nothing to worry at all....
Old 04-20-20, 06:13 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 84 Posts

Arnold Schwarzenegger Wore a 'Terminator'-Inspired Face Mask While on a Bike Ride

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/arno...193500258.html
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 04-20-20, 06:18 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
Sorry for the rant, but whole government response that is based on wishful thinking, and not science, is annoying me.
I can appreciate your feelings, but you just have to sift through it a pay attention to more informed and scientific parts of the government.
I've never tried one, but I think breathing while cycling wearing an N-95 mask might be difficult.
Old 04-20-20, 06:25 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
I think wearing a mask on a bike is overkill. Around here there's plenty of free space to ride. Riding close to walkers or other cyclists occasionally is very low risk as the total time in close contact is minimal.

Wearing a proper N95 mask is uncomfortable for normal activities I think it would be unbearable for exercise - worse than riding a trainer indoors.
Happened to see a q&a segment with Sanjay Gupta, who I respect, and he was asked this very question about a mask while jogging. He doesn't believe it's necessary. He also mentioned that Dr. Fauci doesn't either and Fauci is what, eighty? Good enough for me.
Old 04-20-20, 06:58 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
It boomeranged on the CDC because as people realized that it wasn't true, they lost trust and started buying up masks and other PPE. If they'd been straight from the beginning it wouldn't have happened. The CDC has reversed itself and it's not just a sop to the uninformed masses.
It was a 'no win' situation for CDC and other health authorities. If they were a little more upfront about the benefit of wearing an N95 masks people would have bought them up like toilet paper and created even worse shortages for health care workers. If they were 'straight' from the beginning people still would have bought all they could.
Old 04-20-20, 07:30 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
I think that valve would help with the fogging of my glasses. Without the valve a lot of the exhaling goes up to the glasses. I think most people are motivated by self preservation. So masks that protect the wearer make much more sense. Protecting others is just a side benefit. Even with the valve, if i cough, that would be caught. and my normal exhaling would not be filtered by the home-made masks anyway.

I also have one of the VOC masks (with removable dual-filters) that I used when painting a bike frame. But that almost looks like a WWI gas mask and makes breathing harder.

I know this is a bike forum.... but this is like telling everyone they should buy a car that is safe for other participants, but has almost no safety features that protect the occupants. And I rather play it safe for myself. just 2 weeks ago they said we should not use masks and only proper masks should be used by medical staff. Now they say home made mask should be worn, and medical staff should recycle PPE and also can wear bandanas. Why wouldn't the same authorities declare next week something contradictory again? I probably should have worn a mask many weeks ago, when the authorities said there is nothing to worry at all....
A trick for getting non-valves masks to fog glasses less - tape over the area at the top over your nose. I wear glasses. I did this routinely building boats for years. New mask - stretch the rubber straps carefully, not stressing the ends, taped the top and bent the wire to fit my nose. Did this hundreds of times. Still do. (I suffer a little nostalgia walking through this crisis.)

Ben
Old 04-20-20, 10:03 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,103 Times in 712 Posts
A mask out here?

Wear that mask human or you cannot pass.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-21-20, 04:40 AM
streetartmadrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not use a mask to ride, but it will all depend on your region
Old 04-21-20, 06:04 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
It was a 'no win' situation for CDC and other health authorities. If they were a little more upfront about the benefit of wearing an N95 masks people would have bought them up like toilet paper and created even worse shortages for health care workers. If they were 'straight' from the beginning people still would have bought all they could.
I don't think you can expect a "win" in any scenario of a raging pandemic. But I submit that misleading people about medical issues during a health crisis is a loss. Misinformation infects people through no fault of their own, spreads and persists, and not only endangers people directly but ripples out in secondary effects.

Working from patio yesterday I overheard a snippet of conversation from the parking lot. A guy had walked up to a couple in the parking lot, or vice versa, and I heard him loudly proclaiming "I don't care, I'm not doing it. Come over for a beer any time. Anyone, we don't care about it." No masks, all clustered around someone's trunk. They all apparently considered themselves more informed than everyone else. Had they the knowledge to wear masks I doubt the conversation would have gone the same way, and not quite so proudly. Without conversations like this going on around the state, I doubt that our illustrious governor would be so keen on opening gyms and hair salons this week, and theaters the week after. Every deception has a price regardless of how you justify it at the time.
Old 04-21-20, 06:08 AM
MoAlpha

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 752 Posts
A trick for getting non-valves masks to fog glasses less - tape over the area at the top over your nose ...(I suffer a little nostalgia walking through this crisis.)

Ben
Learned to do that as a med student in the OR. No nostalgia.

I do not wear a mask on the bike.
Old 04-25-20, 04:56 PM
HerrKaLeun

A trick for getting non-valves masks to fog glasses less - tape over the area at the top over your nose. I wear glasses. I did this routinely building boats for years. New mask - stretch the rubber straps carefully, not stressing the ends, taped the top and bent the wire to fit my nose. Did this hundreds of times. Still do. (I suffer a little nostalgia walking through this crisis.)

Ben
Are you suggesting to tape over mask and my skin? If so, that sounds uncomfortable and a hassle to apply before the ride.
Old 04-25-20, 05:06 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 483 Posts
No, just the mask. (I'm assuming a good fit over your nose and cheeks. I see a lot of masks that flunk there.)
Old 04-25-20, 05:17 PM
HerrKaLeun

No, just the mask. (I'm assuming a good fit over your nose and cheeks. I see a lot of masks that flunk there.)
so basically tape horizontally with half of the tape attached tot he outside part, and then folded over and adhered to the inside part of the mask.?

Do you use duct tape, or something specific?
Old 04-25-20, 05:20 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
nothing to do with the fauci guy. Never even mentioned him nor stated what the fbi thinks of him. You're creating false stories.

Re-read my post about store employees in and around chicago. Jewel-osco, meijer, aldi, walmart, rarely will one see an employee wearing any face covering - manufactured or home made, same goes for gloves. That's right now! There is no policy in these regards.

Next, the argument of public requirements to wear mask: A percentage of the public are bad and this is now a good opportunity to take advantage of a likely hole in the game of security and unlawful means.

Next, the security industry doesn't want too much trade secrets brought into the news, for obvious reasons. But for those not up to speed and or naive, its a complicated, massive troubling situation - twofold in the u.s.- regarding the pushing the public wear mask.

Part ii is the unique 2nd amendment and related culture for this country. Its not about heated argument and abuse of it, but rather as whole and great majority whom respect it. But..... Desperate times are coming and the law would be foolish not to prepare for the what-if scenerio of substantial increase in crime or worse, civil unrest.

Unlike other countries and far more restricted gun measures to absolute zero tolerance, (take commie china as example), their centralized govt. Can easily control and suppress mass civil unrest.

To summarize, the latest tech and cam surveillance is less of a concern of facial recognition not functioning in china vs the us (use chicago as example).

Lastly, you mention 'usa foremost authorities'. Would you like me to site them and their opinions on the subject of mask wearing, only 2 to 3 weeks ago? Some real pro's we've got, more like hypocrites with a bunch of meaningless letters after their names.
? ?
Old 04-26-20, 02:15 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Nothing to do with the Fauci guy. Never even mentioned him nor stated what the FBI thinks of him. You're creating false stories.

Re-read my post about store employees in and around Chicago. Jewel-Osco, Meijer, Aldi, Walmart, rarely will one see an employee wearing any face covering - manufactured or home made, same goes for gloves. That's right now! There is no policy in these regards.

Next, the argument of public requirements to wear mask: A percentage of the public are bad and this is now a good opportunity to take advantage of a likely hole in the game of security and unlawful means.

Next, the security industry doesn't want too much trade secrets brought into the news, for obvious reasons. But for those not up to speed and or naive, its a complicated, massive troubling situation - twofold in the U.S.- regarding the pushing the public wear mask.

Part II is the unique 2nd Amendment and related culture for this country. Its not about heated argument and abuse of it, but rather as whole and great majority whom respect it. But..... desperate times ARE coming and the law would be foolish not to prepare for the what-if scenerio of substantial increase in crime or worse, civil unrest.

Unlike other countries and far more restricted gun measures to absolute zero tolerance, (take commie China as example), their centralized govt. can easily control and suppress mass civil unrest.

To summarize, the latest tech and cam surveillance is less of a concern of facial recognition not functioning in China vs the US (use Chicago as example).

Lastly, you mention 'USA foremost authorities'. Would you like me to site them and their opinions on the subject of mask wearing, only 2 to 3 weeks ago? Some real pro's we've got, more like hypocrites with a bunch of meaningless letters after their names.
Exactly, when the government is not saying things in good faith then it is suicide to give them control of your life. Everyone with basic science or medical background knows masks are the best thing you could do in this situation to slow the spread. N95+ masks would be best but even surgical masks or paper masks are far better than nothing especially when everyone else is wearing them.
Old 05-01-20, 02:40 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts
We're doing this all wrong.

Likes For SHBR:
Old 05-04-20, 10:49 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I can't wear a mask and sunglasses at the same time. The sunglasses gets foggy. So I bring masks with me and wear one when I can/need. I find it a bad idea to stuck the mask under my chin, because when I try to put it on with one hand while riding I could contaminate it.
Old 05-05-20, 07:00 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I want to wear a mask when I ride, but the homemade cloth mask I have now suffocates me once it gets damp after a few miles of heavy breathing. I have buffs for winter riding, but they are too loose-knit to filter out anything.
Old 05-10-20, 08:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 585 Posts
getting used to riding around ppl while I'm wearing a face covering, but do we have to cover 1/2 our face? someone should invent a string bikini of sorts for our faces that just covers our nose & mouth

almost like this but they've got them on upside down

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-16-20 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 06:51 AM
WalterVandervor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wear a N95 mask when going out. NIOSH certified masks can offer the utmost protection. They are tested for pandemic preparedness studies. These masks are also ideal for protection against diseases, like the NCOV 2019, which is one of the most feared diseases today. It can also protect against SARS and Avian flu.
Old 05-16-20, 07:01 AM
rumrunn6

me too but they don't provide enough air flow for huffing & puffy at max speed or up big hills
Old 05-16-20, 05:01 PM
rumrunn6

Veltop urban light
Old 05-20-20, 11:42 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 39 Posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.