Reload this Page >

Riding in a Pandemic

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Riding in a Pandemic

Old 06-08-20, 07:21 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
Well, it was nice while it lasted...Traffic around here is starting to really pick up; .
Seeing the same thing in Minnesota, the challenge is that the non-moto routes are still super busy too. At this point, I'd rather mix with the traffic on the roads because the MUP are too chaotic. (I can't believe I'm saying that )
Old 06-09-20, 01:36 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts
I can just imagine how chaotic it must be in some parts of Minneapolis.

Last edited by SHBR; 06-09-20 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-09-20, 05:35 AM
julius rensch

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Cyclists lives matter....

Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
Yes, Cyclists lives matter...think safe...be safe and most importantly, wish for everyone's safe journey through life in America.

sincerely, Julius in Ohio
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."
Old 06-09-20, 07:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

We are doing well, there's a lot of difficult conversations in our future and hard work. Time will tell if we can make improvements or just go back to the old ways after the dust settles.

Interesting COVID19 info: Minnesota asked demonstrators to get tested, we saw our biggest number of COVID19 tests and number of cases dropped. Are we seeing herd immunity? Were the demonstrators really good at safe distances, masks, hand washing ... ? Or something else going on?

I'm just happy to be back to only worrying about pandemic-world - two historically challenging events overlapping was wrecking me.
Old 06-09-20, 07:47 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

The sickness, isn't a problem (for healthy folks anyway) according to the W.H.O.

2020 has been a HELL of a year eh?

Last edited by BillyD; 06-10-20 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Trolling
Old 06-10-20, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3838 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
We are doing well, there's a lot of difficult conversations in our future and hard work. Time will tell if we can make improvements or just go back to the old ways after the dust settles.

Interesting COVID19 info: Minnesota asked demonstrators to get tested, we saw our biggest number of COVID19 tests and number of cases dropped. Are we seeing herd immunity? Were the demonstrators really good at safe distances, masks, hand washing ... ? Or something else going on?

I'm just happy to be back to only worrying about pandemic-world - two historically challenging events overlapping was wrecking me.

There is a lag time between the exposures and when you''d start seeing the cases. We probably couldn't expect any ramping up for another week or so. Also, indiscriminate testing of people without symptoms is going to result in a lot more negative tests than positive, so there probably isn't much connection with that testing and the number of presymptomatic cases developing.
Old 06-10-20, 10:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
There is a lag time between the exposures and when you''d start seeing the cases. We probably couldn't expect any ramping up for another week or so. Also, indiscriminate testing of people without symptoms is going to result in a lot more negative tests than positive, so there probably isn't much connection with that testing and the number of presymptomatic cases developing.
We've been 14 days since the first mass protests in Minneapolis, so the first wave should be showing up. It would be safe to assume that the demonstrators may have contracted COVID19 without symptoms and will infect another wave we'd see in the next week or two.

We have been testing only those with symptoms (or just one symptom) of COVID19; however, our testing capacity in MN is much higher than demand so leadership is opening testing up to anybody that may have been exposed to COVID19. We've seen 7-day new cases averages over 700 in late May, but now it's down to 414 7-day average and only 299 new cases yesterday.

I'm gonna be watching with great interest over the next week or two.
Old 06-10-20, 11:02 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

We've been 14 days since the first mass protests in Minneapolis, so the first wave should be showing up. It would be safe to assume that the demonstrators may have contracted COVID19 without symptoms and will infect another wave we'd see in the next week or two.

We have been testing only those with symptoms (or just one symptom) of COVID19; however, our testing capacity in MN is much higher than demand so leadership is opening testing up to anybody that may have been exposed to COVID19. We've seen 7-day new cases averages over 700 in late May, but now it's down to 414 7-day average and only 299 new cases yesterday.

I'm gonna be watching with great interest over the next week or two.
We can speculate on the exact timing all we want, but two weeks from exposure is about when you'd START seeing symptoms. If the exposure starts on the first day of protests and continues onto the next day and so on, we can expect the number of symptomatic cases to rise a little bit or more each day. But remember, the lag time in reporting is likely going to be onset of symptoms plus time before getting tested plus time for reported results, so two weeks is actually too soon to expect much of anything to get picked up yet.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-20, 11:32 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
We can speculate on the exact timing all we want, but two weeks from exposure is about when you'd START seeing symptoms. If the exposure starts on the first day of protests and continues onto the next day and so on, we can expect the number of symptomatic cases to rise a little bit or more each day. But remember, the lag time in reporting is likely going to be onset of symptoms plus time before getting tested plus time for reported results, so two weeks is actually too soon to expect much of anything to get picked up yet.
Nicholas Christakos said he thought about four weeks before you would see the effects.
Old 06-11-20, 11:54 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Riding a lot with the wife, we are both getting really bored with Shanghai, seems there isn't much of choice though.
Old 06-15-20, 06:50 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Gravel event (race) in a pandemic.

This past weekend was the Westside Dirty Benjamin - here are some of the changes for the ride:

-The timing for the event will run through the Strava app.
-The ride may be completed anytime Friday 6/12, Saturday 6/13, or Sunday 6/14
-If you are interested in riding in a group consider starting on the hour 7am, 8am, 9am etc. If you wish to avoid riding in a group consider starting between quarter after - quarter to the hour.
-No registration in required for this event.

We rode as a group of 3, Keeth rode to meet me near my house, and we rode to the start in Chaska to meet Keeth's teammate Joe. Joe finished his first gravel century, I got to 131 miles, and Keeth was over 145 miles.

There are a couple other small groups on the road, but never had an issue keeping a safe distance. I'm interested to see the results get posted in the next day or two. Here's an edit from my GoPro

Old 06-18-20, 07:50 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I continue to watch the numbers and scratch my head, we are now 20-22 days after the largest demonstrations (and worst rioting). Minnesota is tracking fewer new cases than Southern states that are opening up business; Minnesota continues to trend down in the number of new cases, while the Southern states are seeing increases. Also interesting is that the number of new COVID19 deaths per day remains flat with the states in my quick/random selection.

(yes, Minnesota has a smaller population than the Southern states in this comparison).

Source: https://public.tableau.com/profile/jonas.nart#!/
Old 06-18-20, 08:24 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

I continue to watch the numbers and scratch my head, we are now 20-22 days after the largest demonstrations (and worst rioting). Minnesota is tracking fewer new cases than Southern states that are opening up business; Minnesota continues to trend down in the number of new cases, while the Southern states are seeing increases. Also interesting is that the number of new COVID19 deaths per day remains flat with the states in my quick/random selection.

(yes, Minnesota has a smaller population than the Southern states in this comparison).

Source: https://public.tableau.com/profile/jonas.nart#!/
Interesting.
Most of the Minnesota "gatherings" were outdoors, this might be good evidence that the consequential "reopenings" may be indoor places.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-18-20, 08:36 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 70 Posts
Wisconsin has half the number of deaths as Minnesota, but their total populations are similar.
Old 06-23-20, 07:04 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

As posted above, I continue to check the stats a few times a week. And the massive demonstrations in Minneapolis last month are nearly 4 weeks ago, and we continue to see the new cases and new deaths from COVID19 going down. Not what I expected to see ... I'm happy to be wrong - and I've been finding my predictions wrong very often with this pandemic.

To the above post, WI is seeing a lower fatality rate, another thing that isn't obvious.

I'm honestly gonna love with this pandemic is over and the researchers start sharing information about what we did right, wrong, and WTF we you thinking.

Source - https://public.tableau.com/profile/jonas.nart#!/
Old 06-24-20, 07:23 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

This is interesting

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...he-coronavirus
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 06-26-20, 11:11 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Florida man is working hard not to be outdone. Only 1 day in the last 14 had fewer than 2,000 new cases (during lockdown it was closer to 500-750 per day). We've set 7 new record highs over those 14 days, including 5,463 for 6/23, 4,974 for 6/24 and 8,933 for 6/25. It's not increased testing, as the percentage of test results that are new positives has gone from around 5% during lockdown to 10% now. When they have to readjust the scale to fit the new case numbers on the display, that's not a good sign.
Old 06-26-20, 11:51 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Podagrower View Post
Florida man is working hard not to be outdone. Only 1 day in the last 14 had fewer than 2,000 new cases (during lockdown it was closer to 500-750 per day). We've set 7 new record highs over those 14 days, including 5,463 for 6/23, 4,974 for 6/24 and 8,933 for 6/25. It's not increased testing, as the percentage of test results that are new positives has gone from around 5% during lockdown to 10% now. When they have to readjust the scale to fit the new case numbers on the display, that's not a good sign.

I see FL and TX are locking down again ... that's gonna hurt businesses.
Old 06-29-20, 02:04 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Gravel event (race) in a pandemic.

This past weekend was the Westside Dirty Benjamin - here are some of the changes for the ride:

-The timing for the event will run through the Strava app.
-The ride may be completed anytime Friday 6/12, Saturday 6/13, or Sunday 6/14
-If you are interested in riding in a group consider starting on the hour 7am, 8am, 9am etc. If you wish to avoid riding in a group consider starting between quarter after - quarter to the hour.
-No registration in required for this event.

We rode as a group of 3, Keeth rode to meet me near my house, and we rode to the start in Chaska to meet Keeth's teammate Joe. Joe finished his first gravel century, I got to 131 miles, and Keeth was over 145 miles.

There are a couple other small groups on the road, but never had an issue keeping a safe distance. I'm interested to see the results get posted in the next day or two. Here's an edit from my GoPro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVf0J_88Ykw
Grandpa on the go! (you look the part)

Homestead road? (East Union hill was, and probably still is a favorite of mine)

I did the reverse decades ago, I rode from there into the city.

Tell me you stayed out of the horror show called Belle Plaine? (beautiful prairie, my ass)
Old 06-29-20, 11:28 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Grandpa on the go! (you look the part)

Homestead road? (East Union hill was, and probably still is a favorite of mine)

I did the reverse decades ago, I rode from there into the city.

Tell me you stayed out of the horror show called Belle Plaine? (beautiful prairie, my ass)
If my daughter has anything to say about it ... I'll never be a grandpa. But she was never gonna get married and she's just celebrated her second anniversary, so there's that.

Yes, we ride Homestead Rd (map below), it's a great section of road! One of the fun things the Westside Dirty Benjamin, they change the route most years. We've done the La Sueur route three times, but with some variations; and there are a number of routes on the extreme west side of the metro area going from Chaska up to Watertown and back. After 8 or 9 years riding this event, I don't think I've ever ridden the exact same route.

The 2020 route does have us cut through Belle Plaine, not too bad these days.

The 2020 route has some steep climbs, going up-and-down the river bluffs ... and riding home from Chaska, everything is up leaving Chaska!

Old 06-29-20, 07:07 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

If my daughter has anything to say about it ... I'll never be a grandpa. But she was never gonna get married and she's just celebrated her second anniversary, so there's that.

Yes, we ride Homestead Rd (map below), it's a great section of road! One of the fun things the Westside Dirty Benjamin, they change the route most years. We've done the La Sueur route three times, but with some variations; and there are a number of routes on the extreme west side of the metro area going from Chaska up to Watertown and back. After 8 or 9 years riding this event, I don't think I've ever ridden the exact same route.

The 2020 route does have us cut through Belle Plaine, not too bad these days.

The 2020 route has some steep climbs, going up-and-down the river bluffs ... and riding home from Chaska, everything is up leaving Chaska!

The stories those roads could tell.....

I was more fond of the paved roads, even though they are quite deadly, county road 40 has taken many lives.

My lovely parents would drive well into the triple digits on those roads back in the crazy 80's, how I survived, I'll never know.
Likes For SHBR:
Old 07-06-20, 06:38 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
In lieu of my club's traditional 4th of July picnic, I led my first group ride since March. I purposely chose one of my favorite unpaved trails, where I can typically ride 16 miles and see fewer than 5 people. It was a group ride of 1. But there were groups everywhere, passed 1 group on the way to the ride start, there was another group at the ride start, passed 2 groups on the trail, passed 5 or 6 single riders on the way home. Florida's new single day high for new cases is 11,443. I'm not sure what the point of "flattening the curve" was if we're just going to let it spread unchecked now.