Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone using latex tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 03:07 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

These are like 3-4X more expensive the the plane old tubes but was wondering if its worth it or not. How much lighter are these and can you repair them the normal way if you have a puncture? Is going tubeless a better option if you are trying to save some rotational weight?
Old 10-25-16, 03:12 PM
elquesifilma

Bikes: Fuji / TREK /Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the first time i heard about them was a french dude in our ride bragging about his new tubes, and 10 minutes later had a flat.. haha, kinda funny, I think they are too expensive.
Old 10-25-16, 03:27 PM
rickpaulos

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
The big hassle is latex tubes lose air so fast you have to inflate them nearly every day. I suppose there are riders that think that is okay but what a pain. Maybe for racing where you would check the pressure anyhow but not for commuting and certainly not for long distance touring. When I was racing, almost every tubular tire had latex tubes. It was nice to get some Panaracers with butyl tubes on the training wheels so you didn't have to pump up the tires for every training ride.

I don't remember the brand but one company used to sell "paperweight" or "paperlight" inner tubes for clincher tires. Butyl but made with a thinner layer to cut weight. All tubes are not the same. Some brands use thinner material than others. Or you could run a thinner tube and let the air pressure stretch it thinner inside the tire.

Other rotational weigh reducing techniques:
aluminum spoke nipples
lighter rims
lighter tires
thinner spokes
smaller wheels
skinnier tires
skinnier rims

IMO the only use for tubless is pro mtb racing where a flat will cost you the race and maybe your career.
Old 10-25-16, 03:39 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Latex tubes are more about rolling resistance reduction than weight reduction.
Old 10-25-16, 04:48 PM
Maxacceleration
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
My kid raced with Michelin latex tubes & Michelin Pro 2/3/4 service course tires. Great setup & never a flat.
His training wheelset used butyl tubes and same Michelin Pro tires. Never a problem there either.
The best clincher tires & latex tubes get you as close to tubulars as possible - the ultimate race tire (my kid also had a set of sewup wheels).
We/I are in the habit of checking our tire pressure every ride. Its what you do for the best ride ...and dialed in air pressure. YMMV
For touring & recreational riding there is no need for latex tubes IMO. He's done racing now and no more latex tubes lately for us.
Old 10-25-16, 06:45 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Latex and Vittoria Open Corsa CXIII's,great combination. I see people riding with 110-120psi and with this setup I can run 75f 85r and it's a smooth fast ride and I don't flat much. Seemed like higher pressures were prone to flating more. I do check pressure every ride but I do that with standard tubes as well. Not a real inconvenience. They are more money but I find it worth while for my needs.
Old 10-25-16, 06:49 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
IMO the only use for tubless is pro mtb racing where a flat will cost you the race and maybe your career.
This strange comment makes it sound like you don't have much real mountain biking experience.

Tubeless advantages:

- You can run much lower pressure, increasing traction and reducing rolling resistance.
- Pointy things, especially Goat Heads. Not an issue with tubeless. Buzz kill when running tubes.
- a little bit lighter
Old 10-25-16, 07:25 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Latex tubes really don't do much for you unless you are riding really high quality tires and/or the "open tubular" type tires. In those cases then the biggest advantage is road feel followed by puncture resistance in my opinion. I said resistance not puncture proof. Latex will stretch around rocks and road debris better than butyl but within reason. Hit a golf ball size rock at 20 mph the tire will be your lesser worry. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? For me yes. I love the road feel and the sound they give the tires.
Old 10-25-16, 07:47 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
These are like 3-4X more expensive the the plane old tubes but was wondering if its worth it or not. How much lighter are these and can you repair them the normal way if you have a puncture? Is going tubeless a better option if you are trying to save some rotational weight?
Latex tubes are not lighter. The advantage of latex is that it's more puncture resistant and is more supple. If you combine a latex tube with a high quality Open Tubular, the ride quality is as good as a tubular. Even better than a cheap tubular.

The down side: More expensive, must be inflated before each ride and easier to damage when installing. I always use talc when installing them.

Since many sealants are latex based, they also work with latex tubes. I use Vittoria PitStop with good results.
Old 10-25-16, 07:50 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
I always use talc when installing them.
Always amused when I read this canards.

Talcum Powder for Tubes and Tires by Jobst Brandt
Old 10-25-16, 09:24 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I did not realize that latex tubes were more puncture resistant. That's good to know. I do check air pressure before every ride.
Old 10-26-16, 05:22 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
These are like 3-4X more expensive the the plane old tubes
When I ordered some last year they were just a couple bucks more expensive, not really a big deal IMO. Watch the sales at places like ribble. Also I have since bought lightweight butyl tubes that were just as light as latex, so weight isn't necessarily an advantage.

I check and top off my tires pretty much every ride so don't see a big difference there either, but I suppose the daily commuter that doesn't want to have to do that early in the morning in a rush to leave for work would be a negative. And larger / lower pressure commuter setup probably does often go for a much longer time between top offs than skinnier road tires. Probably wouldn't want to use em for touring either.
Old 10-26-16, 05:46 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
On my mtb i have the michelin protek max since some month , i need to admin they works good but not for too long.
I used for a while and the pression remain perfect (i belive also the tube self fixed some puncture) , when i press the head of the valve a bit of lattex came out and that make me feels the tube as working. After some month the lattex never came up anymore and the tube is loosing pressure , so that was not worthed at all.
I mean you can use in a race to prevent punctures but they are really heavy compared to normal tubes. I'm thinking to replace with a normal tube soon becouse since the lattex become dry and the tube is not effective as in the beggining. Also the valve head is a bit bended and i belive thats the main reason to the preassure leak.

That tube cost me 10€ (11$) and the try was worth, but i'll not came back and use that product again.
Old 10-26-16, 07:39 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
With the above-mentioned pros and cons in mind, I race on latex and everyday train on butyl. There is a detectable road feel difference with latex tubes and good tires. However, I train on tires made for puncture resistance and durability and butyl tubes are fine for that. Plus, patching butyl tubes is more straight forward because commercially available high-quality patches are for butyl not latex.
Old 10-26-16, 08:28 AM
cloozoe

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I ride latex. Upside: lower rolling resistance, more comfortable, better puncture resistance. Downside: pump them up before every ride. If you can live with the latter, it's a no-brainer to me. As to expense, I can usually find them on sale for about $10 apiece, vs $5-$6 for a decent butyl. I get about 4 flats a year, so even if I don't repair them (although I do) the additional expense would be about $20 annually. I'm not made of money, but I can live with that.
Old 10-26-16, 10:41 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cloozoe
I can usually find them on sale for about $10 apiece, vs $5-$6 for a decent butyl. I get about 4 flats a year, so even if I don't repair them (although I do) the additional expense would be about $20 annually. I'm not made of money, but I can live with that.
Just a quick check showed Michillen and Vittoria latex tubes for $8.15 at Ribble and I have seen them cheaper.
Old 10-26-16, 10:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Any thoughts on butyl vs latex relative ability to not pinch flat. Above it's been posted that latex are more puncture resistant, but I think it's also been said that they're a little more prone to flats.. or maybe not.. but that they are more susceptible to damage (how?) during installation. Kinda difficult to get a definitive read on this thread's sentiment.

One other question, as I haven't seen or handled a latex tube: do they generally take less space or more than a lighter weight butyl tube in a saddle bag/pocket?
Old 10-26-16, 11:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Anyone using lamb skin "tubes?"
Old 10-26-16, 11:20 AM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've used latex tubes for a few years now and find they offer better flat protection over normal tubes, roll smoother, and are lighter. For me, the cost was worth it on my "fast" bike. Downsides are they cost more (but really, you can find them for $7-$8 if you watch sales and buy in bulk), installing them is a bit more finicky, and you have to pump them up daily - but seriously, you should be checking your air before every ride anyway.

That said, I have since switched to tubeless and prefer that to tubes.

Old 10-26-16, 03:30 PM
rickpaulos

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

One other question, as I haven't seen or handled a latex tube: do they generally take less space or more than a lighter weight butyl tube in a saddle bag/pocket?
yes and no. The bulk varies with brand for all tubes. The latex tubes will unspring easier than butyl given a chance which makes stuffing them back in the bag annoying.

I just tossed a bunch of latex surgical gloves that were sitting on my basement work bench for a couple of years. They were still in the factory waxed paper covered with talc and they were rotted beyond any use. Yet I often reinstall butyl inner tubes from 1960's Schwinns with no issues.
Old 10-26-16, 03:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Anyone using lamb skin "tubes?"
No. That's what committed relationships are for.
Old 10-26-16, 03:41 PM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just to throw out a data point:

I've been running latex tubes with CGP4KS2's for about 10K miles without a flat. Same tubes, in the second set of tires. Besides, they'll save you nearly 2W! .

And, they feeeeel nice.
Old 10-26-16, 03:42 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've just gotten back to riding with latex tubed tubulars with a new set of Challenge tires that were a great price on EBay. Excellent ride, lightweight, and so far very puncture-resistant. Yeah, they go flat in about 2 days....
Old 10-26-16, 03:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Latex tubes are not recommended for use in our clincher wheels. Latex is very inconsistent in comparison to butyl, and doesn't hold up as well in all of our internal testing.

https://enve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar...lincher-Wheels
Old 10-26-16, 04:14 PM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Latex tubes are not recommended for use in our clincher wheels. Latex is very inconsistent in comparison to butyl, and doesn't hold up as well in all of our internal testing.

https://enve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar...lincher-Wheels
Weird, I never had any issues with latex in my enves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.