Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Big chain vs bike shop

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Big chain vs bike shop

Old 11-04-16, 06:35 PM
Tcon123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big chain vs bike shop

I'm sure there are countless threads on this.

I've seen some YouTube videos lately and there seems to be a trend on this topic. Walmart and Canadian tire bikes are good... For the money. The problem is assembly. The assemblers are paid by the bike and it shows.

I would like to spend 600-800 on a good road bike. Not a racer. Something whose primary purpose is pavement but that can hit the trails a few times a year. I feel like a $650 Canadian tire bike with a $100 set up is better than an $800 bare bones Trek bike.

Am I wrong? Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
Old 11-04-16, 06:39 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tcon123
Walmart and Canadian tire bikes are good... For the money.
No.

Next question...
Old 11-04-16, 06:43 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts

Am I wrong?
Yes.
Old 11-04-16, 06:45 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
They are good for the money if:

-you can find one that fits
-you can do your own wrenching

I couldn't when I was in your position 8 years ago and opted for a discounted NOS (New Old Stock) bike from the LBS.

Also, you might take a look at 'hybrids'. You can probably find something that fits your needs at a little cheaper price that what a roadie could be had for (new).
Old 11-04-16, 06:58 PM
jsdavis

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Agree with the new old stock bikes. New models come out every year and often only the color changes. This time of year the 2017 models are coming in so bike shops want to get rid of the 2016s and you might find a good deal there. I don't know what bikes Canadian Tire has, but I doubt they sell with that yearly model.

Put it this way - I was able to pick up a US$1000 bike for $750 because it was the prior year's model a while back. The difference was the new model was white and the old model was gray.
Old 11-04-16, 07:01 PM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen some YouTube videos lately and there seems to be a trend on this topic. Walmart and Canadian tire bikes are good... For the money. The problem is assembly. The assemblers are paid by the bike and it shows.

I would like to spend 600-800 on a good road bike. Not a racer. Something whose primary purpose is pavement but that can hit the trails a few times a year. I feel like a $650 Canadian tire bike with a $100 set up is better than an $800 bare bones Trek bike.

You need to do your home work so you'll be able to recognise what constitute value for the money so you'll be able to recognise a good deal when you see one.

First of all, don't confuse big brand names with "better" than lesser brand names but do recognise when there's a good deal on a brand name bike, major brand or lesser brand, because it will be better than a good deal on a BSO from a big chain store.

So, keep shopping around LBS's, until you spot the bike you want, at the price point you want and chances are it will be far superior to the big chain store bike re components, and really, that's what you need to get familiar with, not brand names. EG, a big brand name bike may have far better components than BSO from a big chain store, and be on sale for close to the big chain bike or at times even less. Buy a brand name with the best components you can get, for the most you want to spend, and stay away from big chain store bikes.

If you've got 650.00 and more to spend, don't get anything from a big chain store with that money. Look for new old stock at local LBS's and you'll be miles ahead.
Old 11-04-16, 07:07 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gweedo1
If you've got 650.00 and more to spend, don't get anything from a big chain store with that money. Look for new old stock at local LBS's and you'll be miles ahead.
Better yet, do some research and buy a used superior bike to get an even better deal.

Because: depreciation.
Old 11-04-16, 07:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
I didn't think Walmart had any $800 bikes

If you're interested in a $200 to $300 bike... then Walmart might be an option. Not necessarily a forever bike, but hopefully you can ride it a few blocks.

At least here in the USA, the next step might be the mid-level sporting goods stores like Dick's Sporting Goods. They'll have some decent bikes. Nothing spectacular, but they'll be ok. I was disappointed that their support was minimal. Basic chains and etc, but nothing more.

Next step up might be REI. They're probably comparable to many of the lower end LBS stores, and usually have an in-store maintenance shop. I wouldn't have any qualms about shopping there. They're updating their product lineup for 2017, and it may also bring some good 2016 sales.

Then your LBS shops. Not all are the same.

I'd worry first about what type of bike you wish to buy. A Cyclocross or Hybrid would be high on my list. Then use that to help guide your decision of where to shop. You may find some stores don't carry the inventory that you're interested in.

Don't forget the used market, especially for the hybrids and old MTBs. But the best deals come with bikes needing work.
Old 11-04-16, 07:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Save Up to 60% Off TRP Hydraulic Disc Brake Road Bikes - Motobecane Turino Disc

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...brake-bike.htm
Old 11-04-16, 08:03 PM
Gymschu

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.3 Hybrid, 2013 Schwinn Searcher

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never seen a decent road bike at Wal-Mart. On the other hand, I have purchased hybrids there in the $230 range and they lasted 10 years with medium duty use. Totally agree with buying a quality USED bike........there are so many out there.
Old 11-04-16, 09:09 PM
Maxacceleration
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Its always has been, and always will be, a department store bike is junk. But some people don't know any better.
There are some good bikes at REI - I believe they have their own design dept.
Mail order bikes can be ok, as many have an actual store front shop, so they know bikes.
But do yourself a favor, and go to your own local neighborhood bicycle store and get a bike with a little more (probably a lot more) quality.
You will like bikes more... And you will thank me later.
Old 11-04-16, 10:15 PM
Tcon123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for your views.

I'm in Canada so we don't have REI. We have mountain equipment co-op. I think they are similar. They have their own brand which is in the 2-3 grand range.

Maybe Wal Mart is a poor example. Canadian tire sells some $600 stuff but they are made by CCM.
Old 11-04-16, 10:22 PM
decentdrummer91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy a bike from Walmart. Heavy frame, cheap components. You're better off getting an entry level road bike like Fuji sportif 2.5
Old 11-04-16, 10:36 PM
Maxacceleration
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I'm in Canada so we don't have REI. We have mountain equipment co-op. I think they are similar. They have their own brand which is in the 2-3 grand range.

Maybe Wal Mart is a poor example. Canadian tire sells some $600 stuff but they are made by CCM.
Do you not have a local bicycle shop that carries *real* bicycles? There is no justification for a dept store bike if you really want to ride.
If its something you want to take on vacation once a year, well, maybe a dept store bike is for you.
No offense meant to you Tco.
Old 11-04-16, 11:24 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
If you really want to ride, you would be wise to avoid Target, Wal-Mart and the likes. Get a quality bike assembled by a qualified mechanic at a brick and mortar bike shop. They will get you fitted on the proper bike in your price range, and most shops offer some support, be it a free tune up or minor maintenance for a year. If this is not an option, then finding a quality used bike online would be next. You want something from the big name brands, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Norco eh, etc.
Old 11-05-16, 09:31 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Can you get Jamis bikes there? Coda Sport and the next model up (Coda) are excellent bikes for the money. Very good cromoly frames and decent parts - well worth upgrading as you become a better rider.

Jamis Street, City, Hybrid, Jamis City Bikes, Jamis Urban, Dual Sport dealer in Toronto
Old 11-05-16, 12:01 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
supporting your local bike shop is a good idea, so they'll still be there when you need them.

REI bike shops are good, and their staff are all well-trained. If you have something similar, that would be a good bet.
Also agree with the Jamis bikes from a good shop.
While you're shopping around for bikes, find a shop you like just as much.
Old 11-05-16, 08:40 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
In general, they're not good. Don't take my word for it, though. Do a little research on what's good and what isn't when it comes to components, then take a close look at Walmart's offerings. You'll find that they're generally heavy and built with low-end parts. The bikes won't necessarily fall apart, but you may be stuck dealing with excess weight, poor braking, and drivetrains that won't stay in adjustment. They're built to a price point, and the cost-cutting doesn't stop at the lack of trained assemblers.

I would like to spend 600-800 on a good road bike. Not a racer. Something whose primary purpose is pavement but that can hit the trails a few times a year.
What's typically referred to as a "road bike" isn't something you'd take on the trails at all. New "road bikes" tend to have little frame and fork clearance for the wider tires you'd want to be running off-pavement. A few decades ago, it was more common for road bikes to have more tire clearance, but nowadays, road-ish bikes with tire clearance tend to carry niche labels/purposes like gravel bikes or cyclocross bikes.

If you don't want or need drop bars (curved handlebar) typically found on road bikes, hybrids often sell at a lower price point. They typically have more clearance for fatter tires. Select a wide tire with a pavement-friendly tread pattern (in other words, not knobbies) and you'll have your pavement bike that can also do a little trail riding.

Someone above mentioned previous model year bikes or closeouts. Timing's actually pretty good to look for those kinds of deals. November isn't exactly peak season for selling new bikes, so shops may be willing to mark down inventory just to get it out the door. Turn depreciating inventory into cash and floor space for next year's bikes.
Old 11-05-16, 09:20 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

Both Walmart and Candian Tire are selling one size fits all bikes. That may, or may not be your size. I took a quick look at the CCM men's hybrid. Only available in an 18" frame, with no details available on what exact components are on the bike. Undoubtedly, if it had even Shimano Altus derailleurs, it would spell that out, so I'm guessing it is something lesser. At the price point you're shopping at, there are a ton of good quality bikes available at your local bike shop. I do a lot of gravel riding/trails on a stock Trek fx 7.2, which is well below your budget. It works fine on pavement too. I have nearly as much fun on it, as my specialty gravel bike.
Old 11-05-16, 09:54 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

I'm in South-Central Ontario, Canada. For the money you're looking to spend I'd be inclined to go to a bike shop. I've seen people go to a Canadian Tire store on a Friday because the bike they bought just a few days ago needed a minor adjustment and the guy at the CT store said it'd take a week or so to do. Part of buying at a bicycle shop is the better service. You get a least one free adjustment of gears and brakes after a 30 days settling in period. Will you get that at Canadian Tire? Who will work on your bike at a Canadian Tire store? I saw a setup in an aisle at one store where a guy was doing quick adjustments on a bike and all he was using was an adjustable wrench and locking pliers like Vice-Grips. How well and who assembled your bike are other considerations. Are you able to do your own assembly and/or adjustments? if so then online might be an even better choice. I like a good bicycle shop that I've established a good rapport with. When I lived in Toronto Ontario i dealt almost exclusively with Pedler bicycles on Avenue Road and Dupont streets. They gave me fantastic service and over time I got many good deals from them because I was such a frequent and loyal customer.

In short, with Canadian tire there are too many negative variables that can affect the quality of and hence the enjoyment of a new bicycle. A good bike shop especially if you go there during their off-hours can give you utterly fantastic personalized service and continuing good to great service ling after you've bought your bike.

Cheers
Old 11-06-16, 07:04 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I would like to spend 600-800 on a good road bike. Not a racer. Something whose primary purpose is pavement but that can hit the trails a few times a year.
There's your real problem. You have only the most basic concept of what kind of bike that you want, you probably don't even know what questions to ask, and, even if you did know the questions, you still can't get that kind of advice at a big box store.

"Where and how you picture yourself riding your new bicycle" is the big question. What kind of "trails" are you visualizing? The days of 2 or 3 basic styles of bikes are gone. Today there is a huge graduated range of bicycle styles. While you could probably get by on sever different styles and be happy, it would be nice to know what you are giving up by choosing the bike that you pick. An average or better bike store person will know your local area and will be able to guide you to the style bike that will serve you best.

"Size" is another huge issue. Bikes, just like shoes, come in sizes. Would you buy the wrong size shoes just because they gave the best "bang for buck"? Of course not. Again, an average or better bike shop person will be able to guide you to the right size bike and will be able to adjust it to fit your body and intended use.
Old 11-06-16, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
GMC Denali is the best bike.
Old 11-06-16, 12:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
"Where and how you picture yourself riding your new bicycle" is the big question. What kind of "trails" are you visualizing?
This.

You need to figure how many miles you plan on riding on the road, versus trails, and what kind of "trails"? ninety percent road or fifty percent, or (like most people who get a nice road bike) 99 percent road? Packed earth, loose gravel, MTB trails?

Lots of great bikes out there to fit pretty much any style of riding, but if you get the wrong bike based on misperception or insufficient consideration, you will waste a ton of money and lose a chance to really enjoy cycling.
Old 11-06-16, 10:08 PM
Tcon123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are right. I don't know what questions to ask.

Here in Montreal, we don't really have trails. We have some great ones within an hour of driving. This bike would be well over 90 percent on gravel. We have a place called Mount Royal. It is hardly a trail. Its paths are made of small stones so it isn't very rocky.
Old 11-06-16, 10:23 PM
Tcon123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a store here selling the FX 7.2 for $510. Is that good? The Trek FX have so many models. Goes all the way to $2599.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.