Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Shimano rotors vs. Hope rotors

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-16, 03:48 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

First off, although I'm actually a roadie/gravel grinder, I figured I'd get better answers in this forum.

So, I'm getting stuff together to build a second wheelset and move the stock wheelset over to a backup set. I've pretty much decided on everything but going back and forth on the rotors. Right now I'm running Shimano RT99 IceTec rotors and have been happy with them but new hubs (Hope Pro 4's) only come in 6 bolt so need to get new rotors. I've been looking at the RT86 IceTec rotors since they come in 6 bolt and should still have pretty good heat management but they only come in 160mm and larger and I currently have 160mm front and 140mm rear.

I know there are adapters for increasing rotor size which isn't a problem but I'd have to redo the rear brake line to have enough slack for the adapters spot, not the end of the world but a little annoying. Hope Floating Rotors however come in 140mm and 160mm so no adapters needed, and also come in different spider colors too. After some research I've seen that some people feel the Hope floating don't control heat that well and are pretty noisy, possibly because of their design.

Do any of you guys have experience with Hope Floating Rotors and could say if they're really noisy or heat up a lot especially on long descents and start having fade?

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-10-16, 04:06 PM
pholuvr
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben I.
Do any of you guys have experience with Hope Floating Rotors and could say if they're really noisy or heat up a lot especially on long descents and start having fade?
Not noisy and never have had them fade. Even during long descents (3,300 ft) at DH resorts.
Old 11-10-16, 06:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I just use Shimano 160's on my Hope hubs. Who knows, someday you might find a downhill and be happy about it
Old 11-10-16, 07:03 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@pholuvr - glad to hear that, thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I just use Shimano 160's on my Hope hubs. Who knows, someday you might find a downhill and be happy about it
I have no problem with the Shimano rotors or going up to 160 in the rear but if I don't have to run new brake line and put an adapter on, then that's fine with me. Plus Hope rotors do have the colored spiders which is a nice touch but that's a minor point in my decision haha.