Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wind Block Base Layers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wind Block Base Layers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 10:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Wind Block Base Layers?

I'm looking for wind block base layers similar to the Under Armour Coldgear Thermo Wind Block long sleeve at the link below. It is no longer available.
Ideally it should have wind block all the way down the front of the arms as well as the front of the torso.

Suggestions warmly (pun) welcomed. Not looking for windproof/breathable garments or jackets and I already have plenty of gilets. Thanks.

-Tim-
Old 11-16-16, 10:46 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I have absolutely no idea why one would want such a thing. If wind is getting all the way to your skin, something is seriously wrong with your layering. Your base layer should be very porous to get rid of heat and moisture, conducting those things away from your skin. Ideally a sort of waffle-looking synthetic material. Craft base layers are by far the most popular around here. I have both LS and SS base garments from them.
Old 11-16-16, 11:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18407 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I have absolutely no idea why one would want such a thing. If wind is getting all the way to your skin, something is seriously wrong with your layering.
You took the words right out of my keyboard.

OP: Go Rapha or go home.
Old 11-16-16, 11:12 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I honestly cannot say I know much about this win block base layer but I have found a shell or jacket (breathable) to be all I need over 2-3 layers max. I did try windproof-front bibs once (still have them) but after a while I found myself sweating and becoming clammy. If it is insanely cold and windy, I stay home though I ride fat bikes in the snow. I still layer properly and use a shell.

That said, look at motorcycle stuff...I recall they used to have windblock base layers, and it kinda makes sense there though I'd still use a windproof jacket. Maybe that would not be enough in certain cases but I'm no cold-weather moto expert.
Old 11-16-16, 11:13 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone must like it. It's sold out.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 11-16-16, 11:13 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I have the short sleeve version of the Craft Wind Stopper baselayer: Baselayer - Men

The long sleeve version appears to not have blocking fabric all the way down the arms, though.

To the naysayers, I've done a lot of cold weather cycling and the baselayer mentioned above was one of my best purchases. My torso catches far more wind than any other body part and when my torso gets cold, everything else gets cold. I overheat easily wearing any 'breathable' windproof jackets which seem to never meet their promise. The Wind Stopper baselayer keeps my core warm and dry like nothing else can.
Old 11-16-16, 11:19 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm looking for wind block base layers similar to the Under Armour Coldgear Thermo Wind Block long sleeve at the link below. It is no longer available.Ideally it should have wind block all the way down the front of the arms as well as the front of the torso.

Suggestions warmly (pun) welcomed. Not looking for windproof/breathable garments or jackets and I already have plenty of gilets. Thanks.

-Tim-
That's interesting that you use these. I could see a wind block base layer might be useful if you have a porous jersey over it, to work in somewhat colder temperatures.

What other layers do you use with it? And what temperatures do you use these blocking base layers?

Like the other posters, I look for a wind resistant shell and very breathable base layers. But I do sometimes wear just a long sleeve jersey with two regular long sleeve base layers, which does reduce the wind that passes through, and still breathes very well.

And I've put a sheet of newspaper / wrapping paper under my jersey as a temporary wind vest. So that's a wind blocking base layer. It works great, but does get damp from sweat at times.
Old 11-16-16, 11:21 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have absolutely no idea why one would want such a thing. If wind is getting all the way to your skin, something is seriously wrong with your layering.
Exactly this. (Don't agree that it should be synthetic though.)
Old 11-16-16, 12:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

If wind is getting all the way to your skin, something is seriously wrong with your layering.
Wind is not getting all the way to my skin. Wind getting all the way to your skin are your words not mine. I never said anything about that.

I have plenty of high-end wind block jackets and gilets - Assos, Arc'teryx, etc. Morvelo Hemisphere and Thermoactive are my favorites. There is no problem with my layering system.

Originally Posted by rm -rf
And I've put a sheet of newspaper / wrapping paper under my jersey as a temporary wind vest. So that's a wind blocking base layer. It works great, but does get damp from sweat at times.
This. Exactly.

I'm susceptible to bronchitis and like to keep the cool air off my chest. I also perspire a lot. Sometimes a gilet does the trick but wind block on the outside leaves the garments under clammy. Other times I'll just put a piece of Saran Wrap over my chest under the base layer. Saran wrap works perfectly for me but sometimes leaves my arm pits or arms chilly. Hence my query re wind block on the arms.

Originally Posted by joejack951
I have the short sleeve version of the Craft Wind Stopper baselayer: Baselayer - Men

The long sleeve version appears to not have blocking fabric all the way down the arms, though.

To the naysayers, I've done a lot of cold weather cycling and the baselayer mentioned above was one of my best purchases. My torso catches far more wind than any other body part and when my torso gets cold, everything else gets cold. I overheat easily wearing any 'breathable' windproof jackets which seem to never meet their promise. The Wind Stopper baselayer keeps my core warm and dry like nothing else can.
Thank you for this post and for the link. Those garments look really nice. Seriously considering the Active Extreme 2.0 long sleeve.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-16-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 12:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,396 Times in 2,739 Posts
It's always fun to buy gear for a specific purpose, but I have to agree that a simple sheet of newspaper or a piece of Tyvek is just about ideal for an actual cycling windblock. Too much arm coverage can quickly become uncomfortably warm. As the day warms up, it's easy to snatch out the newspaper and stick it in your jersey pocket, don't even have to stop riding.
Old 11-16-16, 12:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I also perspire a lot. Sometimes a gilet does the trick but wind block on the outside leaves the garments under clammy.
My hunch is that you get clammy because your outer layer isn't breathing enough, so your sweat has nowhere to go and you stew in it. (Not always, just when conditions aren't favorable to you, probably during more intense rides.)

If that's the case, moving the barrier closer to your skin seems like it will make the problem worse.

Some people use a wind shirt immediately next to their skin when they sleep (camp). You could try something like that for a ride, use your smallest and tightest wind blocking jacket as a base layer, then add insulation over it. See how it works before you invest in more gear.
Old 11-16-16, 03:26 PM
dorkypants

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Have you tried merino wool? It's pricy, but (a) breathes, (b) stays warm even when damp or wet, (c) doesn't stink like synthetics [polypropylene, I'm looking at you] get stinky, (d) isn't scratchy like old-school wool.
Old 11-16-16, 03:32 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951

Are you using the baselayer windstopper in addition to an external windstopper layer? If not, why would you prefer the windstopper closest to your skin? This is an honest question as I too hate for my core to get cold, but I've never tried windstopper close to my skin.
Old 11-16-16, 03:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4793 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I"ve been using those recyclable wind blocks under my outermost jersey for deacdes. Theo ones the pros use. Newpaper. And yes, the pros are still using them. Just not the team leaders. But the lowly domestiques on smaller teams who crest the passes minutes after the leaders and get zero camera coverage still can be seen stuffing newspapers under their jerseys before the descent.

Ben
Old 11-16-16, 03:40 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Another good way to be certain that your core stays warm is to protect your hands, feet and head properly from the cold. If those three things begin to get cold, guess where the heat is redistributed from? Yup, your core.
Old 11-16-16, 04:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
My hunch is that you get clammy because your outer layer isn't breathing enough, so your sweat has nowhere to go and you stew in it. (Not always, just when conditions aren't favorable to you, probably during more intense rides.)

If that's the case, moving the barrier closer to your skin seems like it will make the problem worse.

Some people use a wind shirt immediately next to their skin when they sleep (camp). You could try something like that for a ride, use your smallest and tightest wind blocking jacket as a base layer, then add insulation over it. See how it works before you invest in more gear.
I appreciate this post and already use wind block next to the skin - newspaper, Saran Wrap, etc. It works fantastic for me and this is why I am ready to invest.

When the wind block is strategically placed, just the forward facing portions of the torso and perhaps arms, there is plenty of remaining surface area for evaporation. I'm not considering wind block for the entire upper body. That would be suicide for me.

Merlin has the Craft Extreme 2.0 long sleeve for $57.14 vs $130 direct from Craft. Still looking for a something with a little protection around the arm pits and perhaps the forearm. The Under Armour linked in the first post would be perfect and I found one at the UK Amazon site but it is $122 after shipping. Yikes!I found one here for $67.19 but never heard of this site and they only have red.

-Tim-
Old 11-16-16, 04:07 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Rode this morning wearing my *disposable* wind stopping stuff . . .
A folded up couple sheets of folded newspaper between my bare chest and long sleeve jersey.
Old 11-16-16, 04:14 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have absolutely no idea why one would want such a thing. If wind is getting all the way to your skin, something is seriously wrong with your layering. Your base layer should be very porous to get rid of heat and moisture, conducting those things away from your skin. Ideally a sort of waffle-looking synthetic material. Craft base layers are by far the most popular around here. I have both LS and SS base garments from them.
Think thermal underwear...
Old 11-16-16, 04:18 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I have absolutely no idea why one would want such a thing.
Stuff like this is why I find this forum less and less useful every single day.

Did the OP ask for alternatives to wind block base layers? No.
Did the OP ask whether a wind block base layer is effective? No.
Did the OP ask whether he should want a wind block base layer? No.

The OP asked very simply where he can find one similar to one that he likes, but sadly is no longer available.

It's not just the fact that people offer alternatives.... its the smug snarky tone they take in doing so. This happens again and again and again, and honestly I just grow wearing digging through this crap in every. single. thread.

BTW: Not picking on you personally... yours was just the first response on this particular thread.

NOW, NOT THAT ANYONE SHOULD HAVE TO JUSTIFY WHY THEY WANT A PARTICULAR THING, BUT I WILL TELL YOU WHY I PERSONALLY WANT WIND BLOCK BASE LAYERS: BECAUSE I WANT TO WEAR MY REGULAR / EVENT / TEAM JERSEY OVER IT AND NOT HAVE IT COVERED UP WITH WIND BLOCK LAYERS.
Old 11-16-16, 04:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by RShantz
Are you using the baselayer windstopper in addition to an external windstopper layer? If not, why would you prefer the windstopper closest to your skin? This is an honest question as I too hate for my core to get cold, but I've never tried windstopper close to my skin.
Thanks for the question. It does sound counter intuitive.

Right now I am wearing gilets and jackets with external wind block on the front. I sometimes need to pull down the zippers a little to regulate temperature and moisture but then the cold air hits my chest. I'm susceptible to bronchitis and need to keep the cold wind off my chest.

To be clear, I'm not looking for wind block around the whole torso. Just strategically placed on the chest. The front of the armpits and forearms would be a bonus. Such a garment would allow me to pull down the zipper on the outer layers without a blast of cold air on my chest. Saran Wrap, newspapers and garbage bags have all worked well in this regard so why not a base layer with wind block on the chest?

The Craft garment has the chest covered nicely.

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-16-16 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 04:40 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
That said, I have been on this same mission this fall. I borrowed one at HGF so I wouldn't have to wear a jacket over my team jersey. 42 at the start, 60 ish by the end. Worked like an absolute charm. Yes, I was slightly overwarm by the end and a little sweaty, but not boiling hot or drenched, and overwarm works better for me than underwarm, and just arm warmers would have left my core cold with the 20mph winds that day.

So when I got home, I set out to buy one. Talk about a frustrating endeavor.

I found that bike shops don't have much in stock and I got tired of going from shop to shop. Surprisingly, sporting goods stores had nothing! The Nike store had nothing! The addidas store had nothing!

I found some Nike dri-fit, both crew and quarter zip, that were reasonable on weight and semi-windblock (which is all I really need) at JCP and Kohls. Bought one, but the smallest they make is a S, and it's a loose fit S, which looks sloppy and ill fitting under a tight jersey sleeve.

I found some Nike-Pro dri-fit at Marshalls... S is SMALL. Compression fit small. Perfect. But they're slightly less thick, and I only found one orange one. I intend to stop at more Marshalls this weekend (I have some other errands to run that will get me near 3-4 stores) because I want to pick up 2-3 more.

I think the Craft sounds about perfect, but with as much variability in design, weight, and FIT, as I've encountered in this search, I'm not willing to buy online sight unseen.
Old 11-16-16, 04:45 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by nycphotography
BECAUSE I WANT TO WEAR MY REGULAR / EVENT / TEAM JERSEY OVER IT AND NOT HAVE IT COVERED UP WITH WIND BLOCK LAYERS.
I ain't gonna lie. This is huge!

HUGE!!!

I'm probably going to buy the Craft Extreme 2.0 windstopper from Merlin for $57. I need some Vittoria G+ tires anyway.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-16-16 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 04:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Stuff like this is why I find this forum less and less useful every single day.

Did the OP ask for alternatives to wind block base layers? No.
Did the OP ask whether a wind block base layer is effective? No.
Did the OP ask whether he should want a wind block base layer? No.

The OP asked very simply where he can find one similar to one that he likes, but sadly is no longer available.

It's not just the fact that people offer alternatives.... its the smug snarky tone they take in doing so. This happens again and again and again, and honestly I just grow wearing digging through this crap in every. single. thread.

BTW: Not picking on you personally... yours was just the first response on this particular thread.

NOW, NOT THAT ANYONE SHOULD HAVE TO JUSTIFY WHY THEY WANT A PARTICULAR THING, BUT I WILL TELL YOU WHY I PERSONALLY WANT WIND BLOCK BASE LAYERS: BECAUSE I WANT TO WEAR MY REGULAR / EVENT / TEAM JERSEY OVER IT AND NOT HAVE IT COVERED UP WITH WIND BLOCK LAYERS.
Yes, you are a very good example how some people make this forum less useful. Way to demonstrate! I appreciate it.
Old 11-16-16, 05:02 PM
shafter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Original Poster, please let me know what you come up with. I'm going to have to get some warm stuff soon.
Old 11-16-16, 05:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Yes, you are a very good example how some people make this forum less useful. Way to demonstrate! I appreciate it.
It's tough for the OP to have to sit through homilies by evangelists talking about everything except the question asked. "Off Topic" seems to be a thing everywhere except here.

I really hesitated before posting my question. It worked out this time though and I really appreciate the conversation here.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.