Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Fast Talk podcast, ep. 81: The cyclocross episode with Coach Holicky, Katie Compton,

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Fast Talk podcast, ep. 81: The cyclocross episode with Coach Holicky, Katie Compton,

Old 08-18-19, 12:15 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

Good timing from velonews
https://www.velonews.com/2019/08/training/fast-talk-podcast-ep-81-the-cyclocross-episode-with-coach-holicky-katie-compton-ellen-noble-and-maxx-chance_499418

Especially important is that it's not all fitness. Half a second lost every turn multiplied by x number of turns and y number of laps means you could easily lose a race with a higher threshold or sprint ability than the racer in front of you. The importance of the first lap and making the right group is also important because even if you fade and eventually get dropped from that group you can only drift back so far due to bottlenecks within a cluster of riders
Likes For redlude97:
Old 08-27-19, 08:42 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
^It's a good one you guys
Old 09-09-19, 09:13 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Thanks. That was fun.

Not sure what the takeaways were (in spite of the last 5 minutes).

I guess mine would be
  • - Don’t burn all your matches on the first lap (this is a big one, actually) Pace yourself
  • - The interval training, I do at the track is a good fit for cross – as I am constantly pushing my heart rate than convincing myself to get it back under control before the next big hurdle
  • - Pre-ride: go fast on the technical parts, slow on the aerobic parts (uphills).
  • - Get used to riding very low pressure if you have been riding higher pressures through the summer.
  • - Being in the front pack early on the first lap can be critical – but don’t go so hard you have nothing left for the rest of the race.
Old 09-09-19, 09:55 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Thanks. That was fun.

Not sure what the takeaways were (in spite of the last 5 minutes).

I guess mine would be
  • - Don’t burn all your matches on the first lap (this is a big one, actually) Pace yourself
  • - The interval training, I do at the track is a good fit for cross – as I am constantly pushing my heart rate than convincing myself to get it back under control before the next big hurdle
  • - Pre-ride: go fast on the technical parts, slow on the aerobic parts (uphills).
  • - Get used to riding very low pressure if you have been riding higher pressures through the summer.
  • - Being in the front pack early on the first lap can be critical – but don’t go so hard you have nothing left for the rest of the race.
This turned put to be critical for me this week at our first week. Since it was the first race they did callous randomly by bib number and I was unlicku enough to get called up last in a group of 40. So about 4 rows back. Ended up about 20th place out the gate by taking the linger outside line for the first corner but never made up enough places and ended up 13th. Never had a chance at the podium but 8-12 I had comparable or faster lap times after the first lap, so if I made the selection I vould have maybe hung out for a top 10. Hopefully a 1st or second row call up at the next race will give me a chance at the holeshot
Old 09-09-19, 03:15 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
This turned put to be critical for me this week at our first week. Since it was the first race they did callous randomly by bib number and I was unlicku enough to get called up last in a group of 40. So about 4 rows back...
Ugh, that is nasty. Around here, they tend to line you up based on your registration date. Incentive to pay early! ;-)