Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Do you think I can go cycling 20 miles away?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 05-03-20, 10:11 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Iím in the Bay Area. Governor said we can go cycling. But I donít know the guidelines when it comes to distance from home. I would like to do some riding in Half Moon Bay but itís not within 5 miles of my home. Does anyone know the official rule?
Old 05-03-20, 10:22 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 264 Posts
Just park don't park at the beach or trailhead area & you'll be fine.
Old 05-03-20, 10:32 PM
katsup

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter & Vintage Mountain Bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 136 Posts
Note that the popular cycling areas are getting flooded with riders. I don't have any personal experience riding in Half Moon Bay, but if it's known for cycling, expect 5x more bicyclists since that is how it's been around here.
Likes For katsup:
Old 05-04-20, 08:34 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 83 Posts
You'll almost certainly be stopped by the authorities and once they check your license and find out where you are from they will impound your bike and give you a $1000 fine

Not worth it imo!

/s for crying out loud, it's not a police state no matter how much Fox news you watch
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 05-04-20, 08:49 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 41 Posts
Just ride and don't worry about it.
Old 05-04-20, 09:06 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970 View Post
Just ride and don't worry about it.
Agreed and donít let the government infringe on your freedoms.

And don't let the fear-mongering media outlets determine your thoughts.

Last edited by Toadmeister; 05-04-20 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-04-20, 09:08 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Iím in the Bay Area. Governor said we can go cycling. But I donít know the guidelines when it comes to distance from home. I would like to do some riding in Half Moon Bay but itís not within 5 miles of my home. Does anyone know the official rule?
Tacoenthusiast sarcasm is correct. No one is going to stop you while you ride and check your papers. But I would also suggest not going to places where everyone else is riding. Go explore somewhere that others may have bypassed. I call it ďcoronasploringĒ.

Iíve ridden in places where Iíve never ridden before over the last 6 weeks. Or Iíve gone to places where I havenít ridden in 20 years which happen to be places where most people donít go in my city. Iíve done several mountain bike rides within the boundaries of Denver and realized how challenging they are. They arenít steep but they are twisty, rooty, close and require lots of skill.

Expand your horizons and donít follow the herd.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 05-04-20, 09:17 AM
bargo68

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 1979 Miyata Gran Touring, 1983 Miyata Ridge Runner, 1997 Serotta Atlanta

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 82 Posts
I've been commuting via bike 25 miles away from home 3 times a week and it's been fine. I'm in the bay area, BTW. One thing, like others have mentioned, the public bike paths and MUPs have seen a dramatic increase in traffic so plan your route wisely.
Stay healthy!
Old 05-04-20, 09:51 AM
Barry2 
LRųP=HR

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 96 Cannondale F700CAD3, 2011 Cervelo R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast View Post
You'll almost certainly be stopped by the authorities and once they check your license
Why would you carry a "driving" license while out on your bike.
Some form of ID, OK, they can use my phone or credit card if I am unable to answer.

All the best

Barry
Old 05-04-20, 09:53 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
Some form of ID, OK, they can use my phone or credit card if I am unable to answer.

All the best

Barry
Tacoenthusiest was being sarcastic. Go back and re-read it in your best Nazi accent and laugh.

"Papers pleeze!"
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 05-04-20, 10:30 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 113 Posts
I'm in southern California and haven't had any issues with riding more than 5 miles from home. Took a 30 mile RT out-and-back ride on Saturday, a 25 mile RT ride on Sunday. One area of Saturday's route was a little crowded for a few miles (near the beach), and Sunday was an early morning road ride on PCH (a 'beat-the-traffic' dawn ride), but no unexpected issues with crowds or traffic congestion, or LEOs stopping me to check ID.
Old 05-04-20, 11:40 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 281 Posts
In the bay area only san mateo county has a five mile from home restriction (may have changed to 10) and it applies no matter what county you live in

as Half Moon Bay is part of San Mateo you cannot legally go to it to ride.

I am not sure about how much checking and ticketing is being done, but there is some (santa cruz county was ticketing surfers at one point at $1000 a pop and also 7 guys who drove 50 miles from the east bay to santa cruz to get "essential beverages" from a 7-11 each got a $1000 ticket

specifically this is what is states as of today (all this changes rapidly)San Mateo County’s order differs from the orders in other counties by restricting outdoor recreation to within 10 miles of a person’s residence. This restriction applies not only to San Mateo County residents but also to residents of other counties who wish to travel to San Mateo County for outdoor recreation.

Residents of other counties are not prohibited from entering San Mateo County for other activities allowed by the order, but this provision, which is consistent with the State order, does prohibit those living more than 10 miles from San Mateo County from traveling to San Mateo County for recreation.

In addition in San Mateo County, beach parking lots and adjacent parking areas must remain closed to the public for beach access, and local authorities are encouraged to close or prohibit parking in areas adjacent to beaches as necessary to prevent crowds that cannot feasibly comply with the requirements of the order.
Old 05-04-20, 11:48 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: Parlee,BMC,Specialized and Trek

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
^ 7 guys was more likely a ticket for 7 guys not social distancing.. 7 guys dont live together unless it's somekind of frat or halfway house.
Old 05-04-20, 01:19 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
^ 7 guys was more likely a ticket for 7 guys not social distancing.. 7 guys dont live together unless it's somekind of frat or halfway house.
You don't know hard-core surfing fanatics, do you?

Not sure about NorCal, but there have been a few $1000 citations issued to individual surfers here in SoCal. I can recall 4 instances reported in the news since the first beach closures (coastal cities) went into effect in late-March.

The beaches are closed here in SoCal right now, and you will get ticketed for trespassing; they had a 'grace-period' for educational purposes and just warning people over the weekend. Luckly bicycle riding on streets and MUPs has not been restricted, at least here in Orange County.
Old 05-04-20, 01:24 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: Parlee,BMC,Specialized and Trek

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post

Not sure about NorCal, but there have been a few $1000 citations issued to individual surfers here in SoCal. I can recall 4 instances reported in the news since the first beach closures (coastal cities) went into effect in late-March.

The beaches are closed here in SoCal right now, and you will get ticketed for trespassing; they had a 'grace-period' for educational purposes and just warning people over the weekend. Luckly bicycle riding on streets and MUPs has not been restricted, at least here in Orange County.
I grew up in Socal.. so actually I do and was one. Everyday before HS.. sometimes first period I'm still dripping. HPL !
Old 05-04-20, 01:27 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Coronasploring, my new favorite hobby.
Old 05-04-20, 01:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11383 Post(s)
Liked 3,020 Times in 1,681 Posts
You people are fascinating.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-04-20, 05:23 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
Originally Posted by skidder View Post

the 7 dudes were not surfers 2 cars and then to 7/11 and hung in parking lot..... but there have also been surfers cited......

this was in mid april, I assume it will slowly ease a bit

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coro...order/2271785/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/...ers-get-salty/
Old 05-04-20, 05:34 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
the 7 dudes were not surfers 2 cars and then to 7/11 and hung in parking lot..... but there have also been surfers cited......

this was in mid april, I assume it will slowly ease a bit

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coro...order/2271785/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/...ers-get-salty/
People from Santa Cruz have been looking for any way to discourage "valleys" from coming over since way before covid19. This has nothing to do with a virus and everything to do with a group of punk kids.
Old 05-04-20, 05:45 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast View Post
People from Santa Cruz have been looking for any way to discourage "valleys" from coming over since way before covid19. This has nothing to do with a virus and everything to do with a group of punk kids.
truth there..... I still pretty much stick to cowell's as I am an eternal kook....it did help when I started many years ago that the guy teaching me was a local, who did the decals for almost every shaper there.
Old 05-04-20, 05:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 361 Posts
Everyone else wants to go to San Francisco, and the guy in San Francisco wants to leave
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-04-20, 06:19 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post

All the best

Barry
You should always carry an official, state or federal issued ID with you. If the authorities are looking for some one in particular and you match the description it will be easier to prove who you are with the identification most requested. Especially if you are not white. And if you're not white, you already knew that.
Old 05-04-20, 06:24 PM
Barry2 
LRųP=HR

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 96 Cannondale F700CAD3, 2011 Cervelo R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
You should always carry an official, state or federal issued ID with you. If the authorities are looking for some one in particular and you match the description it will be easier to prove who you are with the identification most requested. Especially if you are not white. And if you're not white, you already knew that.
Because the day glow yellow lycra wearing bank robber made his escape on a Cervelo R3 just like mine.
8-)

I was framed

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-04-20, 06:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11383 Post(s)
Liked 3,020 Times in 1,681 Posts
You Especially if you are not white. And if you're not white, you already knew that.
Anything else we non-white people should know?
Old 05-04-20, 06:49 PM
Toadmeister

you just described a police state.

im not saying your wrong, but that’s the sad state of times we live in. Even more sad is we have a tracking device on us at all times.

”Papers pleaze”

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.