Old 05-17-20, 02:21 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 135 Posts
Things you'll never do again (probably)

Eat something that hit a surface in a public space (no more five second rule)
Go to a movie theater
Shake hands
Hugging a non immediate family member or best friend type

Old 05-17-20, 02:44 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
eat in crowded restaurant
public transportation - bus/subway/train/rail
fly commercial
shake hands for casual greetings (be looking to wash hands very soon afterwards)
tour groups
concerts

JAG
Old 05-17-20, 03:53 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 103 Posts
Take a cruise. Not that I would anyway, we've been hearing about norovirus outbreaks and sick ships for years.

Eat at a buffet or salad bar, probably. I used to sneak home a pocket ziplock bag full of fudge from Golden Corral. It'll be a very long time before I'm there again.

Fly. I already gave that up for climate, but now it's not just dangerous in the long run, it's dangerous in the here and now.

Work out in a public gym. Maybe we'll arrange something, I don't know. Maybe we'll have more and smaller gyms with limited membership, at four or ten times the membership fee to keep down the number of members. Maybe you and your five friends buying exercise gear together. Maybe have people work out in pairs, with one person spotting *and* responsible for honoring/enforcing Covid restrictions. (But what about that big gust of air from a big bench push, right up in the spotter's face?)

Last edited by rseeker; 05-17-20 at 11:05 PM.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 05-17-20, 03:56 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 198 Posts
Never?

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-17-20, 04:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11527 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 731 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Never?
Right.

This has put a spotlight on a number of potential health issues. But, we will eventually get past this, whether it is in 2020, or 2021, or perhaps even 2022.

We could see longterm changes in things like hand shaking.
Old 05-17-20, 04:20 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 18031 Post(s)
Liked 1,685 Times in 1,233 Posts
...the gym thing is kind of a downer for us. I used to enjoy doing a light workout with weights, a swim in the pool, and then a steam, (especially in the winter.) That's gone for the foreseeable future, and whenever they reopen the corporate offices, I'll be cancelling our membership. We had pretty much stopped eating out at restaurants anyway, but I miss stopping at the bakery on my rides as one possible turnaround stop. I don't anticipate doing any local short tours by bike either.

In fact, I suppose the glories of local scenic travel in California will need to go away for a while.
Old 05-17-20, 04:28 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 258 Posts
Never?
Maybe not never, but be prepared for some social engineering which will result in lifestyle modification for the next 100 years..
Old 05-17-20, 04:40 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 12 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
I cancelled my gym membership after getting charged for month they were closed.
Got workout equipment at home so can do minimal strenght training.
Just going to miss hot tubs and sauna which really help me recover after long rides.
Oh well, not worth the risk. Need to get another hot tub at the house!

Also enjoyed hot tubs at Hotels on trips but dont think that is a safe choice either.
Old 05-17-20, 04:44 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 135 Posts
Our NYC apartment is in Queens and is way too small for any sort of workout set up other than yoga. I'd love to say never to a gym again, but the only viable way I can work out when we're down there is to go to a gym.
Old 05-17-20, 04:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 586 Posts
making out w random women

I shud be cutting down on that anyway
Old 05-17-20, 07:05 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
Our NYC apartment is in Queens and is way too small for any sort of workout set up other than yoga. I'd love to say never to a gym again, but the only viable way I can work out when we're down there is to go to a gym.
Check out some exercise bands w/handles. They'll help. I just ordered a set.
Old 05-17-20, 11:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12050 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 1,899 Posts
Inject bleach.
Old 05-17-20, 11:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

I will definitely be going back to the gym when it becomes safe to. I'll have to wait and see how this unfolds to know what that's going to mean. But strength training is very healthy.

Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Check out some exercise bands w/handles. They'll help. I just ordered a set.
​​​​​​Better than nothing. Very hard to go beyond the basics though, like adding weight consistently for overload. Stand an inch closer or further away from the door anchor and how much resistance you get changes. This was a good start but became frustrating after a while. Still better than nothing, which is what a lot of us are doing through this.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-17-20, 11:33 PM
tds101 
Wake up!!!

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I will definitely be going back to the gym when it becomes safe to. I'll have to wait and see how this unfolds to know what that's going to mean. But strength training is very healthy.

​​​​​​Better than nothing. Very hard to go beyond the basics though, like adding weight consistently for overload. Stand an inch closer or further away from the door anchor and how much resistance you get changes. This was a good start but became frustrating after a while. Still better than nothing, which is what a lot of us are doing through this.
Once I recover a bit more I'll finally join a gym. These exercise bands are a start. I find I'm unable to work out all that much. My breathing is still knackered unfortunately.
Old 05-18-20, 01:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3623 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 766 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a fairly large apartment that I can still afford, on a less crowded side of town near mostly rural areas where I can ride and encounter few, if any, people. I miss some of my friends but I'm comfortable on my own -- well, me and three cats. I can go weeks without seeing anyone and be fine. I'm a sociable hermit. I just don't go out much even in the best of times.

I never really socialized much with my neighbors anyway. They're mostly older and disabled. Old folks really aren't much fun to be around. At 62, I'm rapidly approaching that phase, so I kinda understand why they're always so grumpy and gossipy. I'm surprised none of them has developed COVID-19 yet, but it's still early here. The two months of semi-isolation may have slowed the spread but it'll be bad during the second wave this winter. I'm still the only one in the building who routinely wears a mask indoors and takes reasonable precautions. They think that because the governor said it's okay for limited resumption of businesses the whole pandemic is over. Same mistakes made in every previous epidemic and pandemic. We never learn.

Cruise ships were always off my list of things I'd ever want to do. Did my time in the Navy. A "cruise ship" has always seemed like paying to be a guinea pig in a cosmetically enhanced disease breeding lab. Not to mention the fact that the only people I know personally who actually think cruises are the bee's knees are people like my ex-wives and ex-in-laws. My idea of a pleasant getaway doesn't include being stuck in a bucket with them.

I'll do a lot less eating out. I'm a good cook so no big deal. I might get a pizza once in awhile -- those things are so danged hot it'll kill most microbes that may settle during the brief exposure between oven and pizza box. But after seeing how quickly other fast food joints and restaurants have abandoned precautions such as face masks, I doubt I'll order another burger for the next year.

I'll be a lot pickier about group rides, if I ever do another group ride at all. I'm acquainted with most of the folks I've ridden with the past few years but we aren't close friends. Before the pandemic I never realized how many of them are utter knuckle heads and conspiracy cultists. TBH, I won't miss them. I don't expect everyone to share my views, but there are limits to everything. I won't enjoy a group ride knowing the guy next to me actually believes COVID-19 was a Jewish conspiracy, or thinks my Texas-born friend who happens to be of Vietnamese ancestry is somehow genetically responsible for the "Wuhan virus." This pandemic has been an eye-opener about some folks who seemed sane before this mess.

I don't go to gyms anyway, no big loss. I just need to add a pull-up bar at home to do whatever I did at the physical therapy clinic anyway. They had some basic weight machines but I don't need those.

Another thing I'll try not to do again -- take for granted my few close friends. I do miss their company. But we stay in touch by phone and texts.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-18-20, 05:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3719 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Another thing I'll try not to do again -- take for granted my few close friends. I do miss their company. But we stay in touch by phone and texts.

it was interesting which one I called & which one called me. they weren't the same ppl
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-18-20, 07:10 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3826 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'll be going back to the gym, I'll be flying commercial, I'll do pretty much whatever I was doing before, except I think handshaking is likely permanently dead. I think the better question is what activities are routinely going to involve wearing masks.

I do think that this might be the end for most movie theaters, however.
Old 05-18-20, 07:17 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 99 Posts
Depends on the success with a vaccine. Right now I'm not planning on flying or attending concerts any time soon. Of course, there won't be any concerts any time soon. That's an activity I'll consider next year if they return and depending on what the situation looks like at the time. There's nothing I can think of that I'll never do again. Or at least the I know I'll never do again.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-18-20, 08:42 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 198 Posts
At the risk of inciting ire for mentioning COVID in the same statement as influenza, the future I see for both is similar. I'm hopeful a vaccine is developed, and I believe that over time, we'll get some level of herd immunity that will, along with a vaccine, be effective enough to keep COVID under reasonable control, and still allow people to live their lives pretty much as they had before. I see future management following the same course as the flu as well ... new vaccines developed to attempt effectiveness (with varying success) against expected new strains (hopefully, more get those vaccinations than currently get flu vaccinations).

I like to think that there will be leassons learned from COVID in terms of managing infectious diseases ... better means of contact tracing (some of the cellphone based solutions look promising), better means of testing to permit mass testing with quick results, in-place teams to monitor disease development and make recommendations, anti-viral ventilation/illumination systems and the like. I'm also thinking that treatments will improve to the point where the CFR/IFR is a fraction of what it they are now.

It could be that COVID provides a dress rehearsal for a more deadly pathogen on the horizon. As bad as it is, it could be much worse.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-18-20, 09:00 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
I won't say never, but it is going to be a really long time before I feel comfortable flying. I've hated flying for a long time since I always feel so cramped (5'11") in the seats. I'd much rather drive, even to see my friends in Virginia, which is an 11 hour drive. Bonus is I can easily take my bike and all my gear if I drive.

Haven't been in a movie theater in years. I can count the number of concerts I've been to in my lifetime on one hand. I really hate crowds, always have.

Not so sure about restaurants. Will depend on which one and how much space they provide. For now, carryout is just fine. My last road trip was just as the shutdowns were starting so I avoided all restaurants - I was in the land of the Waffle House. That made me sad to have to pass on their breakfast offerings.

I do miss my fitness center. Mine has plenty of space and at the time I go, there aren't a lot of people there. For now, outdoor activity is fine, but come the dark and cold winter mornings, it will become a major issue to get outside before work. I also miss the weight machines like leg press and lat pulldown. I also miss the variety of hand weights. My 5 lb and 8 lb dumbbells aren't doing the job - I borrowed them from my lab at work. Not feeling the desire to invest in workout equipment for what I hope is just a few more months away from the fitness center.

Not sure when we will be back on campus. I'm having some anxiety about meeting with random students in my very small and poorly ventilated office. So far the video options are working out okay for doing advising. I am having much more anxiety about doing cardiopulmonary exercise testing in our lab with the students when we do return to campus. I've raised this issue with administration as they are looking at all aspects of bringing students back to campus.
Likes For GadgetGirlIL:
Old 05-18-20, 11:22 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 130 Posts
Whether there is ever a vaccine for Covid or not, I will never gamble on a fart again.
Old 05-18-20, 12:05 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Very hard thread to digest.
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 05-18-20, 12:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I'll be going back to the gym, I'll be flying commercial, I'll do pretty much whatever I was doing before, except I think handshaking is likely permanently dead. I think the better question is what activities are routinely going to involve wearing masks.

I do think that this might be the end for most movie theaters, however.
I hope you're right but I doubt it this time.

Old 05-18-20, 12:42 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3826 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I hope you're right but I doubt it this time.

Pretty sure both of those guys are dead now. Coincidence?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-18-20, 02:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 474 Posts
I like to think that there will be leassons learned from COVID in terms of managing infectious diseases ... better means of contact tracing (some of the cellphone based solutions look promising), better means of testing to permit mass testing with quick results, in-place teams to monitor disease development and make recommendations, anti-viral ventilation/illumination systems and the like. I'm also thinking that treatments will improve to the point where the CFR/IFR is a fraction of what it they are now.

It could be that COVID provides a dress rehearsal for a more deadly pathogen on the horizon. As bad as it is, it could be much worse.
I'm pretty concerned/pessimistic about what people are taking away from this experience. People in areas that didn't see crowded hospitals from the disease will be reluctant to play along with the next quarantine, especially those that lost their jobs this time. And now that 80,000 deaths (or losing less than 1% of the population, depending on whose Facebook rant you read) have been normalized, it's going to take something a lot more deadly for people to take it seriously...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.