Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Klein Quantum Cable Replacement Tricks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 03:55 PM
nikku 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Hey all,
Just acquired this pristine Klein Quantum II last week and received it today. It looks mint, save a couple minor rock chips on the non drive side stays, and was clearly taken care of. Just as clear, however, is the fact that it has not been ridden or tuned in a while and needs new shifter cables as it will not shift (they look like they are on the verge of breaking to be honest). I'm going to be putting new bar tape on, so might as well put new brake cables while I'm at it.
I've changed plenty of cables, but never have I changed cables on a bike with internal routing. Do any of you have any pointers or tips you'd like to share before I get started?? I googled it and the best tip I've seen so far is to buy some inner cable housing then run that over the old cable, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these bikes in particular. I'd like to get this right the first time and definitely do not want to have to resort to buying a magnetic tool to fish out loose cables...

Photo as purchased, save the front wheel which I borrowed from another bike (tire on the wheel it came with needs replacing, didn't have a spare).

Last edited by nikku; 05-21-20 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-21-20, 04:08 PM
nikku 

I just realized this should have probably been posted in another forum...not exactly vintage, maybe classic...although 1996 was 24 years ago (where does time go??)
Mods, feel free to move or close if not apropos to this forum!
Old 05-21-20, 04:24 PM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
I have only done a few and they all had a tube that ran all the way through. Push the cable in, it comes out the other hole.

Last edited by MrK.; 05-22-20 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling fail
Old 05-21-20, 04:55 PM
nikku 

Originally Posted by MrK.
I have only done a few and the all had a tube that ran all the way through. Push yhe cable in, it comes out the other hole.
wait, really? Well this might not take nearly as long as I thought. Thanks!