Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First wheel build...first problem?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-31-20, 04:09 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts

Using Sheldon Brown's tutorial, I believe I 3-cross laced this front wheel correctly.
Then, I gradually ran the nipples in until the bottom of the nipple reached the bottom of the spoke threads.

Now, though, the trailing spokes on the left side (exiting inside the flange) are very tight, and the leading spokes (exiting outside the flange) are very, very loose.

Conversely, on the right side, the leading spokes (exiting outside the flange) are very tight, while the trailing spokes (exiting inside the flange) are very, very loose.

The wheel is pretty round, and true, but is off-center to the right about 1/4".

My guess is that I went wrong somewhere...so says Captain Obvious!
Old 05-31-20, 04:51 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Double-check that you have them ALL in the correct holes. It only takes two swapped to really mess things up. This is easier to do/ harder to notice when all the spoke holes are on the centre-line of the rim.
Old 05-31-20, 04:56 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Spoke lengths might be mixed up. Are the shorter spokes on DS?
Old 05-31-20, 05:16 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Spoke lengths might be mixed up. Are the shorter spokes on DS?
Front wheel, all spokes are the same, 299 mm.

I've started over, and switched to the jimlangley.net site for a different set of directions. Starting the opposite side in the exact correct spot is apparently a key step!

Last edited by 67tony; 05-31-20 at 07:23 PM.
Likes For 67tony:
Old 05-31-20, 05:19 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Post photos.
Old 05-31-20, 05:52 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
I'd loosen all of the spokes, and then work your way around the wheel to tighten them evenly. I usually try and get the nipples threaded most of the way down the threaded part of the spoke before I go at it with a spoke wrench (using my fingers or a screw driver for preliminary tightening).
Old 05-31-20, 06:09 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
I'd loosen all of the spokes, and then work your way around the wheel to tighten them evenly.
Yup, a bit at a time. I hook it all up, then start to snug up. I thread half way, all the way around, then go around again, tightening each nipple a bit more. Repeat this until spokes ate snug. Finger snug, if possible. If all looks good, then start to dish and true. Or...

Help us with some pictures. This is interesting.
Old 05-31-20, 06:14 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
need images, I bet there is an offset to the lacing.
Post an image and or CAREFULLY examine the wheel to another similar one.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-31-20, 06:45 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I can't imagine building a wheel for the first time without a nipple driver. It gets you real close to the best starting "tension" but at the start there is none. At this point though, I agree with above comments: back them all off. They could be a bit short so back them off so that each spoke has the same number of threads showing using only your fingers to turn the nipple. If some are still to tight, back them all of another couple of turns.
Old 05-31-20, 06:55 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
need images, I bet there is an offset to the lacing.
Post an image and or CAREFULLY examine the wheel to another similar one.
This would be my guess too (fwiw). Not sure what Sheldon's method is but the way I do it,the hub is pre-filled before lacing so it's easier to notice anything off early in the process.
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 05-31-20, 07:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Not sure what Sheldon's method is.
Here it is:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#lacing

That's been my recipe.
Old 05-31-20, 07:21 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Here it is:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#lacing

That's been my recipe.
Thanks for the link! That looks like a spoke as you go method. I learned the fill whole hub method back on 1985. I got my Schwinn factory mechanic training back then (Still have my card!). That's the only method I ever learned so I've stuck with it. If you've been using Sheldon, I might have to give it a try. (Do I suddenly need new wheels now? )
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 05-31-20, 07:28 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by 67tony
Front wheel, all spokes are the same, 299 mm.

I've started over, and switched to the jimlangley.net site for a different set of directions. Starting the opposite side in the exact correct spot is apparently a key step!
When I built my first wheel, I tried Sheldon's site and found it difficult to follow. Switched to Jim Langley same as you and got the job done.
Old 05-31-20, 07:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Just be happy you did not try the method shown in the first edition of Sloane’s book.
i looked at it, seemed odd.

learned at work, then returned to it - oh dear for the daring who tried. Reportedly fixed later editions.
Old 05-31-20, 07:40 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Yup, a bit at a time. I hook it all up, then start to snug up. I thread half way, all the way around, then go around again, tightening each nipple a bit more. Repeat this until spokes ate snug. Finger snug, if possible. If all looks good, then start to dish and true. Or...

Help us with some pictures. This is interesting.
+1 Even when I true wheels that are built older and even semi new stuff I tension a bit then then loosen make sure all spokes are free and lightly tighten all spokes then start . I have rebuilt built up about 100 wheel sets most free hand just a spoke wrench and the bike frame brakes using the upside down bike and got most decent wheels within 1mm or less side to side and 2mm or less round which is enough to ride nearly mice on almost any wheel set.
Old 05-31-20, 08:06 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I usually leave a couple threads showing for the first go round. That gives you more leeway to find out where you're at after the spokes are all in. Depends though. Without pictures we can't tell what your issue is.

A first wheel for everyone is going to be difficult.
Old 05-31-20, 09:13 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by 67tony
...Starting the opposite side in the exact correct spot is apparently a key step!
Yes! If the spokes on the two flanges are not laced with the correct relationship to each other you will get exactly the problem you described.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 05-31-20, 09:24 PM
67tony 

Thanks for the great replies.

I started all over, and built up a spoke at a time. But, again, half the spokes on each side are pretty tight, and half of them pretty loose (last two pics). Same as the first go-around, but not quite as bad. And, this is with all 32 nipples run in evenly, so that no threads currently show on the spokes.

I'm confident that the right side is done right, but the first spoke on the other side is where it gets a bit confusing. The jimlangley site describes a method for making the 17th spoke parallel to the 1st one, surrounding the valve hole, and I thought I was careful there.

Old 05-31-20, 09:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked 6,452 Times in 3,192 Posts
If I laced it correctly, threaded nipples just to where I can no longer see threads, and notice some spokes are loose, I just keep going. If I didn't lace it correctly, I always find the mistake before I'm done lacing.
Old 05-31-20, 09:44 PM
alfonsejr

Bikes: Hokitika Tandem; Cannondale, '87 ST400 & '88 ST1000; '84 Trek 460; Romic, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know enough to help you figure out what's wrong, but I'm pretty sure I had to tear down completely and start over at least
​three times on my first wheel. I tried following Sheldon, then Jobst Brandt, then used Zinn''s book. Hopefully yours will go faster, hang in there. I'm sure the experts will be along to help.
Likes For alfonsejr:
Old 05-31-20, 09:58 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I read The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt prior to my first wheel build years ago and I had no problems at all, it is very clear and well written. I still ride those wheels, among others I've built using his book.

In your previous thread, you mentioned using a "fork" as a trueing stand, is that what you are using or did you get a proper trueing stand? Do you have a dishing tool? Spoke tensioner? Spoke wrench?
Old 05-31-20, 11:14 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I don't see anything obviously wrong with your lacing pattern, but I can only see the flange on one side. It looks OK I think, but it isn't possible to definitely know that the two sides are aligned correctly.

It looks to me like your spokes are too long. Spokes often seem all wacky and uneven until you start to tension. By the time the nipples are snugged enough to cover all the threads, they should be getting pretty even, and the wheel should start feeling like a wheel.

IF you have carefully tightened all those spokes just enough to cover the threads, I think it's worth a shot to start to bring it up to tension. Maybe you'll get lucky. Go around, put one turn on each spoke, see how that is. Repeat. If the spoke are starting to stick out the back of the nipples and the wheel is too loose, there's no hope. You'll need to get shorter spokes. Take the wheel apart and start over.

Also, double check your spoke lengths. Are you certain they are all the same length?

Triple check your lacing and the left right alignment before you do any of this.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 06-01-20, 01:12 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think you've got your inside spokes in the wrong rim holes. Probably you didn't rotate the hub enough after placing the key spoke. Jobst Brandt's method has you lace all the inside spokes before rotating the hub, which I think makes this easier to judge.

The spokes you see here, one inside and one outside, should insect at equal lengths and they don't.

Old 06-01-20, 01:43 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
^^^^^ This. Even more noticeable at the outermost cross. Look at any third (outer) cross, follow the outer and inner spokes from that cross to the hub. The distance for the outside spoke is more than for the inside spoke.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-01-20, 03:36 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I read The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt prior to my first wheel build years ago and I had no problems at all, it is very clear and well written. I still ride those wheels, among others I've built using his book.

In your previous thread, you mentioned using a "fork" as a trueing stand, is that what you are using or did you get a proper trueing stand? Do you have a dishing tool? Spoke tensioner? Spoke wrench?
Stands are nice, but they're not necessary - and their advantages are mostly for speed of wheel production more than accuracy of build. A pair of clothes pegs on a bike frame are good enough. Anything to hold the rotating wheel and indicate the rim. I've built wheels with the axle held in a vice and an old spoke set in a wood block that I could move about on the bench.

p.s. which edition of The Book do you have - first one has a mathematical typo...only Allah is perfect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.