Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

I need help with the reach on my new bike

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 08:09 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts

So I picked up my new Trek FX1 disc on Friday, I've been out on it every day since then and after the longest ride noticed my finger tips were tingling and my arms were basically straight out, so I think the reach is too far. The frame is a medium and the seat height seems OK, possibly a tad high, not sure if that is the problem because the leg position seems OK.
Any suggestions? Should the seat be moved forward or replace the stem with a shorter one?? It's the stock seat and stem and the handle bar has a slight rise and sweep to it and
I had Ergon GP2 grips installed

Thanks,

Lorne Miller
Old 06-07-20, 08:32 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Set the seat position and arrange the controls around it. So change the stem.
Old 06-08-20, 09:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Gloves too tight and fingers maybe swelling from not being used to the exercise?

More likely from my experience as it has happened to me is that I just don't hold the hoods correctly. If I let the heel of my hand rest on the bar or upper part of the hood I'll get numb hands after riding several hours. For me I try to only let the pad below my thumb rests on the hoods with most of my palm on the side. And a couple fingers gripping just snug enough give all the musculature around my grip, even support.

Bent elbows also help. So shortening your reach might also help. Get shorter stem or move seat forward a tad. Doesn't take much. I also find that lower bars in relation to the seat helps. But if you have long cranks you may not like being low enough for it too help as your thighs will be jostling your gut too much.

edit... crap, a flat bar bike. I don't know then. Disregard everything I said. I've always thought of flat bars as the worst of all worlds possible.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-08-20 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-08-20, 07:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We can't give any sensible advice without photos of you on the bike:
Sitting in your normal riding position, hands on hoods, cranks in line with seat tube.
Sitting hands on hoods, forearms horizontal, cranks horizontal.
Old 06-14-20, 05:13 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Hi everybody, the problem has been solved by three relatively simple solutions. 1) Bought a better fitting seat, MUCH better fitting! 2) readjusted the position of the grips...and 3) moved the seat forward about 10mm. Really amazing what difference this has made to the whole feel when riding the new bike.
Thanks for the suggestions.

cheers,

Lorne Miller