Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

It is about time

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

It is about time

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 09:54 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is about time

Finally put my deposit down on a Trek Transport. I shall be officially joining the utility cycling ranks in a couple of weeks when it comes in.

I don't think I have ever been this excited about a bicycle before...
Old 03-23-12, 09:16 PM
salek

Bikes: 1984 Takara 490 Challenge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the chance and choice to get a Big Dummy or a Trek Transport. I chose the BD. My cycling buddy Treeman is a Trek man. I SERIOUSLY considered the Trek. I look forward to hearing your input about utility cycling. It is very different light or heavy. Tell us your stories.
Old 03-27-12, 08:15 PM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Bikes: Trek Transport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Underground
Finally put my deposit down on a Trek Transport. I shall be officially joining the utility cycling ranks in a couple of weeks when it comes in.

GLAD to hear it!!!!! I'll be looking forward to NOT being the only one that has one and posts here!!!!!
Old 03-28-12, 05:04 AM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few shots of my night lighting setup. I think that the blue on the front is a little on the bright side and I am going to try to tone them down a bit.....

Old 03-29-12, 05:35 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is an impressive light setup!

I got a call earlier today, my Transport is ready to be picked up at the shop. One of the guys there I know called to tell me. He said they were quite impressed with the bike overall. I wouldn't be surprised if they get another to keep on hand because they liked it so much.

Now I just have to wait to get it. Due to my work schedule I cannot pick it up until Sunday. Ok, I could get it earlier, but it would be torture to bring it home and not be able to ride it. At least Sunday I will be able to have my wife drive me down there, drop me off, and I can ride it back home.
Old 03-29-12, 07:45 PM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is an impressive light setup!

I got a call earlier today, my Transport is ready to be picked up at the shop. One of the guys there I know called to tell me. He said they were quite impressed with the bike overall. I wouldn't be surprised if they get another to keep on hand because they liked it so much.

Now I just have to wait to get it. Due to my work schedule I cannot pick it up until Sunday. Ok, I could get it earlier, but it would be torture to bring it home and not be able to ride it. At least Sunday I will be able to have my wife drive me down there, drop me off, and I can ride it back home.
Thanks for the compliment on the lights. I am currently re-working the front blue setup as it's a bit too bright and I really want the "glow" effect.

You'll really enjoy that first ride!!!!! I rode for about 7 miles home after I got mine. Was a GREAT ride.

And you WILL get a lot of people asking questions almost every time you stop someplace. I have spent a ton of extra time in Lowes talking to people about it. Yes, they allow me to bring the bike into the store.......I guess they figure I'll spend more that way....which I usually do.....LOL
Old 03-29-12, 09:20 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I may have to see if they would allow me to bring it in Home Depot. That would make things easier...
Old 03-29-12, 11:33 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BeastRider
A few shots of my night lighting setup. I think that the blue on the front is a little on the bright side and I am going to try to tone them down a bit.....

I agree that's really cool looking, but, don't the police become disgruntled when you use their lighting signature?
Old 03-30-12, 02:10 AM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I may have to see if they would allow me to bring it in Home Depot. That would make things easier...
The Home Depot here didn't have a problem with me bringing it in. Lowes is just a lot closer for me to go to.....
Old 03-30-12, 02:12 AM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
I agree that's really cool looking, but, don't the police become disgruntled when you use their lighting signature?
I haven't been stopped by any. I suppose that if they wanted to be real jerks about them they could. But the lights don't flash. Perhaps that's what makes a difference.......
Old 03-30-12, 03:17 AM
Underground
Ride On.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder how many people would actually pull over for a bicycle cop. I have not seen one down here in TX, so I'm not even sure people would know what to do if a bicycle was trying to pull them over. hahaha
Old 03-30-12, 04:55 AM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder how many people would actually pull over for a bicycle cop. I have not seen one down here in TX, so I'm not even sure people would know what to do if a bicycle was trying to pull them over. hahaha
Bike cops around here are, for the most part, used in crime areas as they can sneak up on the drug dealers easier. Hard to spot them until they are almost next to you!!!!
Old 03-30-12, 07:03 AM
ultrarider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you will be impressed. The shop I got mine at was impressed also. I have never liked a bike as much on the first ride as I have enjoyed this one. Be sure to let us know.

Old 03-31-12, 05:58 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Very cool! I was eyeballing those myself... maybe someday.
Old 03-31-12, 06:21 AM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Very cool! I was eyeballing those myself... maybe someday.
As I have posted many times on various boards and Facebook. I have never been happier with a bicycle purchase. This bike, although rather large and, sometimes, a bit bulky, serves all of my needs.

This is my everyday commuter, errand runner, and all around "fun" ride bike. I am always getting stopped and asked a TON of questions about it. Fortunately, I don't have any problems talking to people.......

It's a complete blast to ride. But, as with everything else, has some drawbacks. Examples would be....don't plan on doing any singletrack downhill runs......"curb-jumping" can be problematic.....and, until you get used to it, the turning radius is large.

All in all though, as I said, the BEST bike purchase I have ever made!!!!!
Old 03-31-12, 05:36 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It only makes sense it has a large turning radius! hahaha

I have heard stories about curb jumping, and I plan on avoiding it as much as I can. It is just nice to ride around on a bike knowing that if you decided to make a stop somewhere to get some items, you have more than enough room to carry them back home. This will be my every day bike. I talked to the LBS, they are going to install a fender on for me and BB7 rear brake (this one came with BB7's up front). I didn't want to get a nice and shiny new bike and have to put it on the stand to work on right after I got it. I just wanted to be able to pick it up and immediately enjoy it without thinking about "all I have to do to it" (ok, I have had a busy work week and I am just wanting to ride and relax on my days off this week).

This way it will be ready to go, and the only things I'll have to worry about is setting the bike up the way I want it. Hopefully it will be ready to go Sunday. Now it may be delayed a day so they can add the stuff on. I am going to call in the morning and check to see if they have an ETC (estimated time of completion, for those who don't know. ).
Old 03-31-12, 06:41 PM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This way it will be ready to go, and the only things I'll have to worry about is setting the bike up the way I want it. Hopefully it will be ready to go Sunday. Now it may be delayed a day so they can add the stuff on. I am going to call in the morning and check to see if they have an ETC (estimated time of completion, for those who don't know. ).
You'll have a great time riding. I added my own rear fenders and disc brakes. But then, as you can probably tell by the photos post, I love to tinker with stuff.

Glad you'll be riding soon!!!!! Be sure to share the photos!!!!!
Old 03-31-12, 07:39 PM
BeastRider
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I made a few changes to my night setup. I went for more "glow" than "glare" with this setup. Same amount of lights, just a different configuration......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0009-1.jpg (34.2 KB, 11 views)