Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Welded 853 frame vs. Paramount OS for a Super Clyde?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 05:42 AM
FZ1Tom
creaky old bones

Bikes: Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They're both Schwinns - one is the Series 5 on CL (haven't heard back from seller, looking for someone to facilitate) and the other bike I'm thinking about is a '00 Peloton with some upgrades.

One is welded 853, the other is lugged Tange something (I forget which at the moment). Both seem like very nice bikes. Naturally I think either frame is gonna be plenty strong even at my size (325ish), but the wheels would definitely be a question mark.

Wheels and potential costs being roughly equal, which way would some of you folks go?

Tom
Old 08-01-10, 06:09 AM
TireLever-07

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That would be the "PDG"-Paramount Design Group,were made in japan or taiwan. Was the upper end between the Paramounts and lower road bikes.We have other Schwinn experts,try Scooper or Pastor Bob.I'd buy one. But you're a big guy,for any road bike. You might need something tougher than a typical 32 spoke wheel, road bike.
Old 08-01-10, 06:10 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Wheels are the only question mark. The 853 is a good tubing, the Tange OS on the Series 5 is just as good, probably about the same weight.

The components are a toss-up, I'd day the Series 5 components are probably RX100, good quality, older style shifting, but a good strong bb and crankset, FD/RD, and calipers. Your chances of breakdown in this area is lower with the solid older stuff.

Bear in mind I haven't a clue what the 2008 Peloton is running. I think I've seen it in catalogs, so it may be just fine. I simply don't know.

Here's the deal on wheels. Look for spoke count of 36 or above. I haven't a clue on the Peloton's wheels. The wheels on the Paramount may be fine, but you'd need to take them to a shop that can build and tension wheels. My recommendation is for a heavier guage spoke, stainless, and don't worry about butted or anything like that. Straight guage should do. Have them relace the wheels with a heavy duty, thicker spoke, and then the important part is to have them tensioned for your weight to the greatest extent possible. You should end up with some super-strong wheels that'll carry your weight.

A touring wheel is a better situation, with plenty of spokes and a solid box-section rim. Look around to see what's out there. I just picked up a set of 40-spoke touring wheels for a friend who runs 5'6 and 260. They were excellent, and he took them to a wheel builder who relaced, trued, and tensioned them. I swear I could mountain bike on those things....
Old 08-01-10, 06:28 AM
FZ1Tom
creaky old bones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I know I'm mighty big for a road bike, but I'm determined to get one and ride it come hell, high water or......pringled rims. The Peloton's a 2000. The Paramount's mostly Shimano 105 according to the listing. Either way, I'm definitely gonna try to get some extra wheels.

Tom
Old 08-01-10, 09:07 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fit is going to be the most important factor. The effects of a poor fit are magnified by your weight.
Old 08-06-10, 07:32 PM
FZ1Tom
creaky old bones

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up the Peloton yesterday. It's actually a 1999 model per Bikepedia - the '00 has white chainstays, the '99's are blue. It's changed hands a time or two, has the Ultegra 6500 crank/FD,Ultegra 6500 brifters, an older Dura-Ace RD (pre-7400 is all I know), Ritchey headset (which was OE on the 2000 but not the '99), Bontrager stem and seatpost, Specialized saddle. I let the seller keep the Rolf Velocity wheelsets (which, I'm certain, had fewer spokes than I had fingers and toes) and old Look pedals in exchange for a lower price. Frame looks good, has only a very few nicks and scratches. And the original AL fork was exchanged at some point for a CF fork.
It was a 9 speed (argh, I left the cassette on the guy's wheel), so I'm guessing the spacing's 130mm.

I'm actually thinking of changing it to a DT setup, but only if the brifters turn out to be fiddly or have issues. Is this all that hard to do since it does have cable stops on the DT?

And of course, I'm gonna need to get a wheelset and rear cassette. Seatpost and saddle, I dunno - have to ride it and see how it goes.

PM me for a good wheelset source unless you think my LBS can get one built for me, thanks! Updates to follow

Tom
Old 08-06-10, 08:22 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by FZ1Tom
Picked up the Peloton yesterday. It's actually a 1999 model per Bikepedia - the '00 has white chainstays, the '99's are blue. It's changed hands a time or two, has the Ultegra 6500 crank/FD,Ultegra 6500 brifters, an older Dura-Ace RD (pre-7400 is all I know), Ritchey headset (which was OE on the 2000 but not the '99), Bontrager stem and seatpost, Specialized saddle. I let the seller keep the Rolf Velocity wheelsets (which, I'm certain, had fewer spokes than I had fingers and toes) and old Look pedals in exchange for a lower price. Frame looks good, has only a very few nicks and scratches. And the original AL fork was exchanged at some point for a CF fork.
It was a 9 speed (argh, I left the cassette on the guy's wheel), so I'm guessing the spacing's 130mm.

I'm actually thinking of changing it to a DT setup, but only if the brifters turn out to be fiddly or have issues. Is this all that hard to do since it does have cable stops on the DT?

And of course, I'm gonna need to get a wheelset and rear cassette. Seatpost and saddle, I dunno - have to ride it and see how it goes.

PM me for a good wheelset source unless you think my LBS can get one built for me, thanks! Updates to follow

Tom
Really good chance your LBS would do fine building you a good wheelset, but unless you are pretty tight with them, you can save a bunch and get good wheels through some online sources (for new), or pick up some nice, used ones for even greater savings.
Old 08-06-10, 09:13 PM
brandon98

Bikes: Schwinns: Paramount (Waterford), Peloton (1986 and 1999), 1987 Super Sport. Offbrand bikes: Bianchi Intenso, Diamondback Interval TG (Ironman), Peugeot Triathlon, Masi CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I am no flyweight at 230 and I ride an 853 Peloton. Big boys should always ride LBS made wheels: you have recourse if you have problems My wheels are Veloce 32F Centaur 36R laced to Aerohead/Aerohead OC rims wrapped in Gatorskin 28s. Excellent wheelset that's held up solidly over 500 miles so far with nary a problem and I know they were built with care by the shop mistress.

Stay with the STI.

B
Old 08-07-10, 10:38 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I concur with him. Sounds like a good bike, and put some solid wheels under you, you'll be fine. I rode my Paramount OS-2 today with a guy on an 853 (Lemond Alps de Huez) and you could tell he had one solid frame...
Old 08-07-10, 03:23 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I realize that really big people ride these bikes but I doubt any of them were ever intended for anyone much over 180 pounds.