Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Which bike is better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 12:41 AM
Petric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which bike is better?

I decide between two bikes, Specialized Treking bike Crosstrail Elite 2018 vs Giant Roam 0 disc L 2018. I do not know which one is better, so I hope you can help me?
Old 08-22-18, 01:05 AM
Petric

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which bike is better?

I decide between two bikes, Specialized Treking bike Crosstrail Elite 2018 vs Giant Roam 0 disc L 2018. I do not know which one is better, so I hope you can help me?
Old 08-22-18, 05:07 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,588 Times in 3,778 Posts
Duplicate threads merged.
Old 08-22-18, 11:59 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Petric
The Giant.
Old 08-22-18, 05:16 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Petric
The one that cost more.....simple
Old 08-23-18, 11:16 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never owned/tried a Giant but anything Trek is solid but you will pay more but it's worth it. I now own Trek Checkpoint ALR 5. That would be my recommendation.

Last edited by IvyGodivy; 08-23-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 11:58 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends what the meaning of is is, or what better is. I was comparing the Roam 3 to the roam 1 recently and there wasn't anything that was worth another 500-800$ to me. The Roam is maybe $300 more than the Elite in this case not sure as it doesn't look like the Roam 0 is sold in the US and specialized doesn't list prices on their site. I'm sure there is something on there that cost the company and you the extra money but is it necessary or will it do anything to noticeably effect your experience or the performance of the bike? I'm not convinced it does.
Old 08-23-18, 02:45 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
My third attempt to post a reply but forum rules limit how many posts in a 24 hour period.

It would have been nice if the OP had posted links to the two bikes.

Crosstrail Elite, £1,350 at Rutland Cycles.

Giant Roam 0, £764 at Rutland Cycles.

As a new forum member, I can't post the links.

The Elite is 76% more expensive. Even allowing for different pricing policies, it is in a completely different price bracket. This means in simple conventional terms that it is the better bike. It is a competitive market and 2 reputable manufacturers would not be that far out of step on prices for similar bikes.

However, "better" does not automatically mean either "better value" or "better for you".

You need to consider what your likely use will be: distance, speed, time in the saddle, frequency of rides, terrain, capabilities of the rest of the group, your own experience, skills and fitness.

A £700 bike is perfectly good enough for most leisure riders, and certainly good enough for an hour's leisurely ride on easy trails, alone or with the family. A £1,350 bike will be a whole lot better if you intend to ride vigorously and pushing your limits.

Do not be blinded by price. There are few Bad Bikes over about £600. There are good bikes and better bikes, and even better bikes.

Possibly the biggest part of the decision will be very personal: the feel. I bought my Pearson Touché fixed wheel online, unseen. It's a good bike, but it took me a long time to fall in love with it. On the other hand, I went to 5 towns/cities and sat on many bikes before choosing my Giant Anyroad 2x10 gravel bike. It was the only one at the time that suited what I was looking for. My wife always struggles to find a bike that suite her, but she impulsively sat on her Trek Lexa in a shop and we bought it straight away because it fitted her perfectly. Far better to have a good bike that suits you than a better bike that doesn't.

My suggestion is read the specs carefully and if there's nothing there to make you choose one or the other, buy the cheaper one. Then upgrade it (tyres, pedals and seat are a good start on any new bike) and when you've ridden it enough to identify a specific set of preferences, start looking for one that really suits you.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-18, 04:29 PM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mikefule
my third attempt to post a reply but forum rules limit how many posts in a 24 hour period.

It would have been nice if the op had posted links to the two bikes.

Crosstrail elite, £1,350 at rutland cycles.

Giant roam 0, £764 at rutland cycles.

As a new forum member, i can't post the links.

The elite is 76% more expensive. Even allowing for different pricing policies, it is in a completely different price bracket. This means in simple conventional terms that it is the better bike. It is a competitive market and 2 reputable manufacturers would not be that far out of step on prices for similar bikes.

However, "better" does not automatically mean either "better value" or "better for you".

You need to consider what your likely use will be: Distance, speed, time in the saddle, frequency of rides, terrain, capabilities of the rest of the group, your own experience, skills and fitness.

A £700 bike is perfectly good enough for most leisure riders, and certainly good enough for an hour's leisurely ride on easy trails, alone or with the family. A £1,350 bike will be a whole lot better if you intend to ride vigorously and pushing your limits.

Do not be blinded by price. There are few bad bikes over about £600. There are good bikes and better bikes, and even better bikes.

Possibly the biggest part of the decision will be very personal: The feel. I bought my pearson touché fixed wheel online, unseen. It's a good bike, but it took me a long time to fall in love with it. On the other hand, i went to 5 towns/cities and sat on many bikes before choosing my giant anyroad 2x10 gravel bike. It was the only one at the time that suited what i was looking for. My wife always struggles to find a bike that suite her, but she impulsively sat on her trek lexa in a shop and we bought it straight away because it fitted her perfectly. Far better to have a good bike that suits you than a better bike that doesn't.

My suggestion is read the specs carefully and if there's nothing there to make you choose one or the other, buy the cheaper one. Then upgrade it (tyres, pedals and seat are a good start on any new bike) and when you've ridden it enough to identify a specific set of preferences, start looking for one that really suits you.

Good luck.
qft.