Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

The MEZZO Thread

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

The MEZZO Thread

Old 08-13-18, 09:55 AM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It's done but I think I got the most beaten up Mezzo in the whole wide world!

Right, pics following show that I have what I believe to be the most neglected folding bike in the world! (thank you ebay!)

It's an old one judging by the old front fork design with the older QR/catch and the fact that the trigger shifters are Shimano (I think newer D9s have SRAM attack)

It's going to the LBS for a thorough service. I don't know what I've let myself into....

Gear cable snapped.

Seatpost catches and won't go right down in folded position...

Old front fork, wheel seized tight and a struggle to roll to fold.

TBH, it was as described. A quick spin in the car park was fine, never thought i would ride a folder whose seatpost I didn't have at the absolute limit for my leg length...
It's a real rust bucket and not pretty.

Thoughts, kind people?

Where do I start?
Old 08-13-18, 10:36 AM
keke

BTW, why does my bike have 2 (TWO) triggers? The left one goes to 3 and the right, to 9 IIRC.

Other photos I've seen only have one.
Old 08-13-18, 10:49 AM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by keke
BTW, why does my bike have 2 (TWO) triggers? The left one goes to 3 and the right, to 9 IIRC.

Has someone tried to fit a double or triple front chainring with a changer? It is possible but not very useful IMHO.

Your Mezzo definitely has not been looked after so a check is imperative.

Old front fork, wheel seized tight and a struggle to roll to fold.
The front wheel needs to be removed from the forks to fold up better. If it is stuck, then some WD40 needs to be used!

Last edited by MezzoLew; 08-13-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 11:19 AM
keke

Thanks Lew.

I'm thinking if I enjoy the bike then I'll buy one in better nick.
Old 08-13-18, 06:26 PM
keke

And it says Shimano 8 speed, this is a 9 speed bike. Some owner, somewhere along the line has been on the vino!

I take it that I will HAVE to change the shifter?

TIA.
Old 08-14-18, 04:15 PM
keke

Very sad day...

Please bear with me guys, I'm posting on this thread because the original thread where I floated the idea of a Mezzo has gone south very quickly...

Took my bike to an experienced bike mechanic today. Turns out there is A LOT wrong with my bike and it will cost a pretty penny to put right.

The shifter-brake combo is not compatible with the rear mech (I suspected that when I looked at the bike closely). It seems someone has just thrown whatever parts they found on the bike. They've been running a 9 speed cassette with an 8 spd chain and 8 spd shifter (with integrated brake lever). The brakes are apparently not right for the bike either.

I have been told to either change everything to appropriate parts or somehow run it with the current shifter and change the cassette etc. Other option to cut costs is to keep it as is but LBS thinks it's a bad idea and says cannot imagine how the bike had ever been working well with the current setup.

Took it to another LBS who simply suggested I sell it!

Gutted as it'll cost more than I paid for the bike to put it right. I would like to have a Mezzo D9 rather than a Miuzzo e8 or summat.

I have no bike repair skills but considered yet another option - go to the "charity" LBS where I can rent a stand with tools and try to DIY under supervision. That way I could hopefully learn something and get the bike I thought I was getting....

Money spinning down the drain regardless of course. Thoughts?
Old 08-15-18, 09:06 AM
ethedona

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much did you pay for it?

Original SRAM Attack shifters-> 30 euro
Shimano flat bar caliper brake levers -> 15 euro
New 9 speed chain (may not be needed) -> 15 euro
Maybe new housings and cable if you don't want to reuse the ones on the bike -> 10 euro
Total -> 45-70 euro + your time

That's assuming that the rear derailer is still the original one.

If you like doing mechanic work, why not try to fix it yourself? You can learn all the skills required on youtube, and it doesn't really need more than some pliers, screwdriver, chain splitter (5 euro) and something to cut the housing (I use a hacksaw).

Or if you don't want to, I'm sure you can find someone that's interested on buying it, I myself have an alert on ebay for a Mezzo folder, in case I find a good deal on a beat up one like yours
Old 08-15-18, 11:31 AM
keke

Originally Posted by ethedona
How much did you pay for it?

Original SRAM Attack shifters-> 30 euro
Shimano flat bar caliper brake levers -> 15 euro
New 9 speed chain (may not be needed) -> 15 euro
Maybe new housings and cable if you don't want to reuse the ones on the bike -> 10 euro
Total -> 45-70 euro + your time

That's assuming that the rear derailer is still the original one.

If you like doing mechanic work, why not try to fix it yourself? You can learn all the skills required on youtube, and it doesn't really need more than some pliers, screwdriver, chain splitter (5 euro) and something to cut the housing (I use a hacksaw).

Or if you don't want to, I'm sure you can find someone that's interested on buying it, I myself have an alert on ebay for a Mezzo folder, in case I find a good deal on a beat up one like yours
Hallo! Thanks for this. Where did you find the original SRAM attack shifters for that price? Been looking online with no real luck.

New housings and cable are definitely needed IMHO but I'm clearly not a mech. Pondered the DIY bit but not so sure.

If you're serious about buying this off me, please do PM me....
Old 08-15-18, 06:04 PM
gringo_gus

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Return to mezzo fold

so I sold my Brompton SLX-2 owing to financials and thenas I posted elsewhere my down tube mini and my minivelo were stolen from my garage.
So I just got a Mezzo via eBay, waiting for it to arrive, a D-9 and really chuffed. I think for the quality of bike you get used Mezzos are really good vfm ( hope that isn’t famous last words).

So, some questions.

1.Can’t find anyone selling the original rack bag (not the bag for the whole bike) online, anyone know where one might be found ? Or,?has anyone luck with alternatives ?

2. What are the obvious things I need to attend to in giving it a bit of a service when it arrives ?

3. I will look back in the thread, but In case it hasn’t been asked has anyone any experience of packing in a hard suitcase eg for air travel.

thanks in anticipatltion.
Old 08-16-18, 09:25 AM
ethedona

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hallo! Thanks for this. Where did you find the original SRAM attack shifters for that price? Been looking online with no real luck.

New housings and cable are definitely needed IMHO but I'm clearly not a mech. Pondered the DIY bit but not so sure.

If you're serious about buying this off me, please do PM me....
I thought I saw one on ebay before, but can't find it now, I'd just get a 9 speed Shimano Deore shifter for 21 euro that would be as smooth as can be rather than the attack ones which are discontinued I believe.

Can't send PM's until I got 10 posts but I'll send you one when I can.
Old 09-05-18, 09:19 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
tell me what I am doing wrong can't get the front wheel to fold in....

my phone is being fixed but I hope to post some pics to follow soon.

in the mean time, is there any obvious mistake people make when folding the mezzo which stops them from getting the front wheel assembly to drop out of the front forks and tuck away ?

something to do with the tightness or not of the qr ?

i have looked online and am at a loss. The bike was folded when I got it....

all comments/suggestions welcome
Old 09-05-18, 09:31 AM
MezzoLew

Originally Posted by gringo_gus
my phone is being fixed but I hope to post some pics to follow soon.

in the mean time, is there any obvious mistake people make when folding the mezzo which stops them from getting the front wheel assembly to drop out of the front forks and tuck away ?

something to do with the tightness or not of the qr ?

i have looked online and am at a loss. The bike was folded when I got it....

sequence of actions to remove front wheel

all comments/suggestions welcome
There are a few things to remember.

Unfolding: If you try to get the front wheel to unclip from the folding position before extending the seat back to normal height, you will struggle to extend the seat afterwards.

Folding: Turn the front wheel into the frame and then make sure the pedals are horizontal with the pedal on the chain side pointing to the back of the frame. You then need to release the rear clamp to allow the rear wheel to rotate under the bike. Then you need to unclip the front wheel and swing it underneath the bike and into place. I do rotate the clamp a few turns before I pull the wheel nut away to give me more space to release the front wheel. Then drop the seat post and finally release the handlebar clip and rotate the handlebars down.

See videos here and observe closely.

This is the original front wheel clamp arrangement which was redesigned and so the one is shown in the image below.

sequence of actions to remove front wheel

Last edited by MezzoLew; 09-05-18 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-05-18, 10:18 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks for this. I really hope I am doing something obviously wrong that I can't see. But as things stand I am doing 1) and 2) as you suggest - the 'syringe' action as in the handbook, but I can't get any movement in the front wheel assembly.

Can you see anything obviously wrong in these pics, which is as far as I can get ? I am quite keen to be shown an idiot who has missed something...

Can you see anything obvs wrong in these pics ? I
Old 09-05-18, 10:50 AM
MezzoLew

Originally Posted by gringo_gus
thanks for this. I really hope I am doing something obviously wrong that I can't see. But as things stand I am doing 1) and 2) as you suggest - the 'syringe' action as in the handbook, but I can't get any movement in the front wheel assembly.

Can you see anything obviously wrong in these pics, which is as far as I can get ? I am quite keen to be shown an idiot who has missed something...

Can you see anything obvs wrong in these pics ? I
I undo the nut on the other side of the front wheel quick release clamp 3 turns or so to loosen it. But remember to tighten it again so the quick release is clamping properly when you re-assemble the bike.

You also need the pedal crank arms to be horizontal - not pointing to the ground!

Last edited by MezzoLew; 09-05-18 at 10:54 AM. Reason: made the statements clearer
Old 09-05-18, 10:56 AM
keke

Sorry, nothing to add except that's a sweet bike! Not a mark on it. I'm jealous!

Carry on...
Old 09-06-18, 08:42 AM
gringo_gus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know !!!! All the more reason to be fed up.

Any mezzo owners in/near Manchester ?

Maybe I will just take it for a ride to see if that loosen anything...
Old 09-14-18, 12:17 PM
keke

Originally Posted by bhkyte

I have added a suspension telescopic seatpost that can be shared between my mezzos. That was very cheap and may be good at reducing mezzos harsh ride.
Hallo! Could you please share which you went for and if it did any good? Thanks.
Old 09-14-18, 05:16 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
suspension seatpost

Hi I just added a basic model suspension seatpost.
it made the bike bearable off road.
I am currently not using the mezzo a lot tending to use my Birdies currently. Next summer I might play with commuting with my fast mezzo again but since heavysnow fall afew years ago the roads were I live are all potholed.
I also have a Birdie with the same mod but with a cane creek thudbuster which is great and offfers layback which might work well on the mezzo if I can swop the inner post.

​​​​​​​
Old 09-14-18, 05:33 PM
keke

Originally Posted by bhkyte
Hi I just added a basic model suspension seatpost.
it made the bike bearable off road.
I am currently not using the mezzo a lot tending to use my Birdies currently. Next summer I might play with commuting with my fast mezzo again but since heavysnow fall afew years ago the roads were I live are all potholed.
I also have a Birdie with the same mod but with a cane creek thudbuster which is great and offfers layback which might work well on the mezzo if I can swop the inner post.

Ah, cheers.

Looks like something i found on ebay. Wanted to be sure it was worth the expense. (Getting ahead of myself, have to get a bike first..)

I found a Suntour one on ebay/amazon, costs more than the type you've pictured on your Mezzo but was less than a thudbuster...
Old 09-17-18, 01:36 PM
keke

Yep!

what do we have here?

Keke's Mezzo, mark II....
Old 09-17-18, 01:52 PM
keke

Rear brake is very stiff and ineffectual. Will be taking it to the LBS for brake and gear service before I ride it.

Need new cables?

And here?

The RD and Cassette is mucky, can I clean it myself or leave to the LBS to "clean and lube the drivetrain"?

Muck, yuck!
Old 09-19-18, 05:37 AM
keke

DIY brake and gear cable change?

As an utter and complete noob, can I change the gear and brake cables myself? Given the Mezzo's complex fold, is it something I should leave to the experts, with the complicated cable runs and whatnot?

One of my LBS has a rent-a-stand scheme where they will be on hand to provide guidance...
Old 09-28-18, 10:18 AM
keke

The problem with eBay.....

RIght so my recently acquired Mezzo needs more work done. Had it serviced and gear & brake inner/outer changed as expected, pads replaced as down to metal!
Also just been told that my entire drive train is shot. New casette, chain, front chainring and new jockey wheels needed.

And this is a bike described as in "very good condition".

Oh well...
Old 09-28-18, 10:27 AM
keke

And oh, does the front chainring have to be the original Truvativ or will anything do? Not sure if it's 52T or 54T - if I have the option to choose, which should I go for?
Many thanks peeps.
Old 09-29-18, 07:11 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Anything with the right mounting holes should work. Roger

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.