Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folding bike shops in Taipei

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Folding bike shops in Taipei

Old 09-03-18, 03:41 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Null

Null

Last edited by Kabuto; 11-02-18 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 02:18 AM
GTizzy

Bikes: Miyata 621 Touring, Dahon Smooth Hound (Demountable)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey!

The best folding bike shop in Taipei is Bikehome, with a wide selection of Birdy, Pacific Cycles, Tern, KHS, Strida, and others. Great staff. Ask for Murphy! https://goo.gl/maps/wszgaBLX11v

If you're looking for gravel / rohloff / pinion, and any bike part the world might have, check out Pineconeworks. (ask for Frank): https://goo.gl/maps/9Am2A8shLFS2

If you're looking for atmosphere and limited edition city bikes, check out Cycle Dummies Pitstop (ask for Yang): https://goo.gl/maps/WSvndTMUUEU2

For modern vintage-style bikes, check out Sense 30: https://goo.gl/maps/xaSkHbaHjXR2

if you're looking for a wide selection of urban bikes, there's a new entrant to the market called Velocity: https://goo.gl/maps/XCYX5thaGDR2

Finally, for real vintage French constructeur bikes, 650b randonneurs, and general weirdness, drop in at Bambino village: https://goo.gl/maps/kSutkZAqHWH2

I would pass on Jesler Bikes. They're an average shop, comparable to what you would likely find in US suburbs.

Last edited by GTizzy; 09-04-18 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 02:26 AM
GTizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikehome: Bikehome********** - Home

Pineconeworks: https://www.pineconeworks.com/

Cycle Dummies: tokyobike Taiwan

Sense 30: sense30

Velo City: https://www.facebook.com/velocity.tw/

Bambino Village: https://www.facebook.com/Bambinocycle/
Old 09-04-18, 02:29 AM
GTizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're feeling lucky and respectful, you can also reach out to Asahi C, who holds one of the world's leading vintage bike collections:

https://road.cc/content/news/146601-...le-collections

https://twitter.com/Asahi_Chang
Old 09-04-18, 03:41 AM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
I’m heading to Taipei on Thursday ....
If you are into Brompton modification, you can check out our office in Tamsui , if not , still try to come Tamsui... beautiful sunset and local food market. By MRT or riverside cyclelane.

Jesler bikes for Brompton, Birdy or other pacific cycles bikes.

BIKEhome has more variety of bikes and accessories.

If you are into older folding bikes, you can visit Pony's Classic Folding Bikes a private collector ... some of his collection (yes, 8 Mk1 bomptons among others ...)

Last edited by bike.gang.uk; 09-04-18 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 05:03 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Tamsui is a nice place. Great day trip on bike from Taipei. Who would have thunk Spain once had a fort there...
Old 09-14-18, 08:11 PM
mkatz

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not intending to hijack this thread, but, do you think it would be possible to rent Birdy for a couple of days in Taipei? I intend to spend a week or two vacationing there in February. (As I live in the US, I think it preferable to purchase a bike closer to home... rather than buy and try to ship.)
Old 09-17-18, 04:28 AM
bike.gang.uk

Originally Posted by mkatz
Not intending to hijack this thread, but, do you think it would be possible to rent Birdy for a couple of days in Taipei? I intend to spend a week or two vacationing there in February. (As I live in the US, I think it preferable to purchase a bike closer to home... rather than buy and try to ship.)
Are you a birdy owner? we have a birdy in our office ... you can use it if you come to Taiwan. Let us know week before your arrival.

Taiwan requires bike cover in most public transportation even for folding bike though.
Old 09-18-18, 10:03 PM
mkatz

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk
Are you a birdy owner? we have a birdy in our office ... you can use it if you come to Taiwan. Let us know week before your arrival.

Taiwan requires bike cover in most public transportation even for folding bike though.
That is a very generous offer! I'm not a Birdy owner. Part of my interest in borrowing/renting a birdy is to help me decide if I do want to buy one.

I anticipate being in Taipei sometime during the first half of February. How would you prefer that I contact you?
Old 09-19-18, 01:12 AM
bike.gang.uk

Originally Posted by mkatz

That is a very generous offer! I'm not a Birdy owner. Part of my interest in borrowing/renting a birdy is to help me decide if I do want to buy one.

I anticipate being in Taipei sometime during the first half of February. How would you prefer that I contact you?
Just PM ... Welcome to Taiwan!
Old 09-19-18, 03:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,543 Times in 3,756 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Testing one two... hmmm I'm sure I posted a reply to this thread a few days ago, but its nowhere to be found. Weird.
You did. But, your use of an Asian language character caused the anti-spam filter to flag your post for moderator review.. We have removed those characters and approved your post.
Old 09-19-18, 05:31 AM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Just posted "what about this" in Arabic and it's been automatically moderated.

Filter is strong with this one.
Old 09-19-18, 05:34 AM
keke

And Russian!

Old 09-19-18, 07:07 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,543 Times in 3,756 Posts
Yep. Too many spammers attempting to post in non-English. You guys rarely see it because of the diligence of the moderator staff and the implementation of things like the forum censor.
Old 09-19-18, 09:28 AM
keke

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Yep. Too many spammers attempting to post in non-English. You guys rarely see it because of the diligence of the moderator staff and the implementation of things like the forum censor.
Wow! Bravo mod team!
Old 03-08-19, 04:00 PM
sogood

Bikes: Bianchi, Ridley, GT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up my Tern X10 (great on sale price as the model is being phased out by X11) from Jestler’s owner in his original Yonghe store after arriving in Taipei. First time visit but what an interesting bike store! They have a great range of folders including Brompton, Birdy, Dahon, Tern and brands I have no good ideas on with varying wheel sizes, even a Moulton on display. On top, it carried a full range of road bike, many exotic and can clearly see owner’s passion in this industry. My buying experience was great too from initial contact to product verification and searches over the phone and Line IM. The owner was very upfront and informed me various technical details and spec variation that weren’t even listed on Tern’s official website eg. Alloy grade variation b/n the two paint schemes of the same X10 model. Weird by true. On pickup, had a great chat and the bike was well prepared, helped me take the bike all the way to the taxi on departure. Very pleased and happy to recommend to others. Oh, I was also provided with a bunch of foam/tubes/protectors for my packing needs. Will try to get a few rides in Taipei before packing it in a large regular suitcase for the trip home, no more airline bike handling fees!

PS. No affiliation with the store or staffs there and this transaction is my first ever contact with the store.
Old 03-08-19, 09:26 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by sogood
Oh, I was also provided with a bunch of foam/tubes/protectors for my packing needs. Will try to get a few rides in Taipei before packing it in a large regular suitcase for the trip home, no more airline bike handling fees!
Thanks for the info. If you do not mind, once opportunity arises please post a photo of the bike outside and inside of the suitcase and suitcase details.
Old 03-20-19, 02:35 AM
sogood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Thanks for the info. If you do not mind, once opportunity arises please post a photo of the bike outside and inside of the suitcase and suitcase details.
Per request.

The following photos show the packaging of my Tern Verge X10 in a large regular suitcase from a local market (approx US$50). Safely completed two sector long haul international flight.

In a so called 32” suitcase. Internal dimensions approx 171x50cm, 30cm deep (15cm in each half of the mid splitting suitcase. Tern Verge X10 frame, bar, saddle/seat tube in with room to spare. Chain removed with a Whippermann Connexions quicklink, SRAM X9 RD also removed from the hanger, wrapped in foam and stored b/n the rear triangle. Front fork and rear stay supported with plastic stays.

Layered up with high density foam and two 20” 406 wheels.

Last edited by sogood; 03-20-19 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 08:33 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Thanks, very neat! My packing (Dahon/Bike Friday) on many occasions has been far more of a mess
Old 03-20-19, 08:39 PM
sogood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Thanks, very neat! My packing (Dahon/Bike Friday) on many occasions has been far more of a mess
Thanks. But had to think hard and a bit of trial and error to get to it. Being first time, I think I can improve on it. The key for this first time was to know it can fit in this suitcase.