Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

eBike: Convert Nice Bike vs. Buying New for Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 08:53 PM
lmike6453

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently bought a Niner RLT Rival 3 Star (steel frame) just last year a "do it all" gravel bike that is good for pavement / commuting:
RLT 9 STEEL 3-STAR RIVAL

I love it but have noticed that my commute is of longer distance and like to optimize my time by getting there asap. I'll be moving closer to work still and the commute will be 6-8 miles one way depending on where I live (12-16 miles round trip), with hills.

Should I sell this bike and buy a dedicated eBike? Or convert it?

Needs:
- PA Street legal (max 28 mph and no throttle / only pedal assist).
- Flat roads for commuting, as well as weekend adventure gravel grinder.
- 30-100 mile range depending on assist level.
- Rear rack and fender capable.
- No suspension.
- Upright / comfortable riding position.

I was looking at the erad conversion but it looks like it uses a throttle. Not sure if the throttle part is optional to be street legal...
https://electricbikereview.com/e-rad...onversion-kit/

I'd probably go with something like a Specialized Vado or Trek Crossrip+ if I bought something new for the Bosch smoothness and reliability.
My current bike:

Old 08-11-18, 06:37 AM
Buddha2499

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I added a Dillinger e-kit to my bike for a while. It had a throttle, but also pedal assist. I never hooked up the throttle. I liked how the pedal assist had various levels. It could be set low enough so that it was just enough to make the bike feel like a light road bike, or high enough to cruise uphill at 15mph without having to pedal too hard. The Dillinger kit was good quality, I thought it was a good choice.

I only used it for it for about six months, then I just wanted my normal bike back. But it was really nice while I had it on. And at $600, was a lot cheaper than buying a new e-bike, and easy to convert back when I was done.
Old 08-11-18, 08:56 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Converting your nice bike is going to be more affordable, and you can get a better/bigger battery with it for less than buying a new bike too...
Old 08-11-18, 02:33 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
8 miles each way? I would invest in some an extra water bottle and cowboy up. 8 miles is easy unless there are some killer hills or something.
Old 08-11-18, 02:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have either hub motors or mid drive , conversions.. mid drive has hill climbing torque..
Old 08-12-18, 01:28 PM
lmike6453

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Converting your nice bike is going to be more affordable, and you can get a better/bigger battery with it for less than buying a new bike too...
This is relieving to hear. Do pedal assist conversion kits generally work without the throttle hooked up?

Originally Posted by starkmojo
8 miles each way? I would invest in some an extra water bottle and cowboy up. 8 miles is easy unless there are some killer hills or something.
Trying to optimize time to be able to commute more often while also not sweating as much. Need to carry some weight for work and hills are killer.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Have either hub motors or mid drive , conversions.. mid drive has hill climbing torque..
Definitely leaning toward mid drive over hub motors.
Old 08-12-18, 07:00 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by lmike6453
This is relieving to hear. Do pedal assist conversion kits generally work without the throttle hooked up?

Yes, they do, but, there is/are different types of "assist"...

Trying to optimize time to be able to commute more often while also not sweating as much. Need to carry some weight for work and hills are killer. an E-bike can make those hills a breeze…

YES, BUT,, if you still want, to ride a bicycle an assist with a "pressure sensor" is the way to go...

Definitely leaning toward mid drive over hub motors.
Mid drive's are great for hills, but, you do not really "need" them If you still really want to ride an E-Bike "as a bicycle"... IMO
Old 08-22-18, 08:34 PM
lmike6453

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bump
Old 08-22-18, 10:46 PM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I say buy a dedicated ebike and keep the regular bike as a backup. It's fun to change things around. N+1 and all that.
Old 08-23-18, 11:13 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I have a Haibike Urban Plus ($1600) and a Gravel Bike. The mid drive conversion kits are very fit specific and are designed for older bikes with the older threaded bottom bracket shells so it might be a tight fit. Your best bet is a hub drive conversion but I don't know of any that take the thru axles that your bike is designed around. Another recommendation to buy a dedicated bike with a warranty. For the price you will spend on a conversion with a 500 watt-hr battery, you can just buy this:

https://www.crazylennysebikes.com/product/st1-elite-20/
Old 08-24-18, 09:33 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I converted a touring bike to an ebike 3+ years ago. I love it, and it has served me well. However, with what is available today in ebikes, I would never consider a conversion for the purposes you state. In your case, I would go for the specialized vado - one of the upper end models. As opposed to a conversion, the frame is specifically built for an ebike. Yes, I love my conversion, but even the lower end vados are better ebikes than mine. Ebikes have come a long way in a short time. I'm excited to see where we are in 5-10 years when it's time to replace mine.
Old 08-24-18, 10:19 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't convert a nice bike, depending on budget either get an older mtn bike to convert or buy a purpose built e-bike which there seem to be a few makers selling some around the 1k mark.
Old 08-24-18, 03:42 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
As noted by others, your current bike is not a great conversion candidate.

If you want to convert something, an '80s or '90s MTB is a great choice.

Next step: steep hills or almost no hills. Hub motors do not function well below about half their maximum speed under heavy loads, so don't work well on steep grades. Mid drives are about $400- and up; and work well on grades because they take advantage of your bikes gears.
Old 08-27-18, 09:51 AM
rolandk

Bikes: 2017 Giant Quick-E, 2015 Trek Domane 4.0 Disc, 2014 Trek 7.2FX

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’d suggest a new, purpose built ebike, specially if you want a fast one. Hitting square edge bumps at 28mph is no joke and the bike needs to be properly engineered to withstand more than you think. I have a Giant Quick E and it’s a tank but will probably last forever. It has 4k hard miles but still rides like new.
Old 08-27-18, 06:16 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
I wouldn't convert a nice bike, depending on budget either get an older mtn bike to convert or buy a purpose built e-bike which there seem to be a few makers selling some around the 1k mark.
Why not? You can always un-convert it and put it back to stock... Then buy a type of bike you would like to use as an E-Bike... I converted my nice bike and never looked back.
Old 09-06-18, 07:36 AM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Met a guy at a supermarket and was bs'ing with him about his ebike. Can't remember the name but he mentioned it is the only one costco carries. If i remember correctly he dropped $1k out the door and still has the 2 year warranty. He only uses his truck for work but practically lives on the bike.
Here it is ... https://www.costco.com/Jetson-Adventure-Electric-Bike.product.100370011.html
Old 09-06-18, 08:30 PM
lmike6453

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm leaning toward selling my bike and getting a dedicated e-bike as the majority here have stated. Starting to think about how to go about selling my bike to get a good amount of what I spent on it back though.
Old 09-10-18, 06:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'm leaning toward selling my bike and getting a dedicated e-bike as the majority here have stated. Starting to think about how to go about selling my bike to get a good amount of what I spent on it back though.
It's always a time/money tradeoff. To get top price, you have to put in the time to describe it and take great pictures and put it on ebay. And you have to pack and ship it. Also, clean it before taking pictures. And if it doesn't sell at your asking price, either lower the price or wait longer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-10-18, 07:06 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I recently bought a Niner RLT Rival 3 Star (steel frame) just last year a "do it all" gravel bike that is good for pavement / commuting:
RLT 9 STEEL 3-STAR RIVAL

I love it but have noticed that my commute is of longer distance and like to optimize my time by getting there asap. I'll be moving closer to work still and the commute will be 6-8 miles one way depending on where I live (12-16 miles round trip), with hills.

Should I sell this bike and buy a dedicated eBike? Or convert it?

Needs:
- PA Street legal (max 28 mph and no throttle / only pedal assist).
- Flat roads for commuting, as well as weekend adventure gravel grinder.
- 30-100 mile range depending on assist level.
- Rear rack and fender capable.
- No suspension.
- Upright / comfortable riding position.

I was looking at the erad conversion but it looks like it uses a throttle. Not sure if the throttle part is optional to be street legal...
https://electricbikereview.com/e-rad...onversion-kit/

I'd probably go with something like a Specialized Vado or Trek Crossrip+ if I bought something new for the Bosch smoothness and reliability.
My current bike:
How about this?

https://www.geoo.com/
Old 09-10-18, 07:38 PM
350htrr

What you really NEED to decide on, is what "type of an E-Bike" you really "want"...
IMO anything with a throttle is a moped...
IMO anything with a crank rotational sensor can be used like a moped..
IMO about the "only" type of an E-Bike that "remains" a "bicycle" is the one where there is a pedal "pressure" sensor" for the "true" bicycle feel, and "true" bicycle ride...
IT, is about as simple as that... Now there WILL be others that say differently but, take my "hint" after riding an E-Bike for the last 6+ years I do have a bit of experience as to how thing work, or more IMPORTANTLY, how things do end up working in the "REAL" world for the average E-Bike rider that decides pedaling is an "option", but keeps on telling themselves, that "they are still riding a bicycle", because sometime they actually do pedal,, but use some assist, (sometimes in their minds), most of which (the assist) is done by how hard they press the throttle with their thumb, NOT how hard they press on the pedals with their feet...

EDIT; What I mean is if you WANT to be riding the E-assisted bike as a normal bicycle, you pretty well need to have the pressure sensor type, if you just want to ride with less pedaling get what ever...

Last edited by 350htrr; 09-11-18 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 02:46 PM
lmike6453

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for the replies - just listed it for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123373453139

Now it's time to decide on an eBike...test rode 3 today at Trek store and the most sensible one is the XM700+ @ $3000, while the Ferrari model Super Commuter +8s is $5200.
The Super Commuter +7 would be good @ $3700 but it only offers assist up through 20mph so I cancelled that one out.

XM700+: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...xm700/p/16641/
Super Commuter +8s: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...?colorCode=red

I'm kinda torn between these 2 mid drives to choose from that offer assist up through 28mph, and have been feeling turned away from the Specialized Vado after reading many bad posts about their customer support / service.

Thoughts / Suggestions?

Last edited by lmike6453; 09-16-18 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 10:02 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Good idea to sell. You really don’t want to put a hub motor on a carbon bike, and it woudn’t fit anyway. Might be able to put a mid drive on it, but that is a sweet bike – it would be a waste to add 20lbs in motor/battery to it.

I put a hub drive on some nice aluminum bikes, but you really need a steel fork (dropout) or strong track dropout. Plus you have to be comfortable futzing around with that crappy wiring the kits use, and debugging things when plug and play doesn’t work like it should.

I always liked the specialized turbo – its kind of what I designed my first bike after (4 years ago).
https://www.arkansascycling.com/prod...o-221478-1.htm $2500 is better than the original $7000 they wanted for it.
But at these price points, you should choose the bike shop that will support you. Treck and Specialized are pretty competitive with eachother, its your LBS that will make the difference to ya. I'm a sucker for the battery in frame look though. Some companies are getting pretty innovative with that type of design.
(Costco had one of these the other day that looked intriguing for a low end bike ($999) https://www.amazon.com/Jetson-Advent.../dp/B06VTTDYDD

That ERAD is a Bafang mid drive. Luna has them on sale now for $499 (BBSHD). I probably should not have told you that, lol.

I agree about ‘90’s mountain bikes. They have today’s modern “gravel bike” geometry with beefy brakes and tires. Perfect conversion candidate (well, I like mine!). You can get them in good condition for a couple hundred bucks.
Old 09-18-18, 10:14 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
This is an interesting bike that basically looks like it copied my bike from 4 years ago (still using it today). My bike has a small frame bag though (with an energy dense battery). Heck, I even put a brooks cambium and bar tape on my bike (These guys copied me!!!) . Both this bike and my old bike weigh about 13.7kg, but I'm very sure mine is a lot faster. I do love having a light weight ebike. I did eventually take the bull horn off and ended up with 32mm tires, although I would be happier with 40mm tires for urban street riding. Still, its super stealth (even with the frame bag) and surprises people with its speed.

https://justebikes.co.uk/products/cob...ric-road-bike/
Old 09-22-18, 07:54 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Old 09-24-18, 09:28 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS