Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Gearing up for Autumn/Winter in PNW

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 10:58 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts

Regarding articles of clothing, layers, shoes/boots, and other protective coverings... I’d like to hear from fellow Pacific Northwesterners on how you approach autumn, and winters for your commute.

I strarted riding a few years ago, but never quite dialed in a system that worked well. I mostly suffered through the colder, wetter seasons. Often too cold, or too hot, and sometimes wet after removing ineffective rain gear. Then last year I gave up, and simply bussed to work, and back through much of fall, and all of winter. I’d like to avoid that from happening again if possible.

Right now with fall approaching, and winter close behind, I’d like to bike in headlong. My work commute here in Eugene will span a four day work week with shifts beginning in the early afternoon, and ending near midnight. The distance being only 3.7 miles each way, but enough to be potentially problematic if not handled carefully.

So with enough time ahead to to prepare, I’m calling on you all who have found solutions that work for you. What’s your method? Any highly recommended specific pieces of clothing? Brands? What do you suggest for a ultimately cozy, and comfortable ride in to work as the weather gets tougher so that one can arrive on shift warm, dry, and in a good mood, while returning home the same way?

Last edited by deux jambes; 08-31-18 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 12:39 AM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My commute is ~6.2 miles each way within Portland. I started this past winter, with a New Years resolution, so my experience doesn't include Autumn but pretty well covers one PNW winter. Unless raining uncommonly hard, I found I was far more comfortable riding in breathable layers, and then drying off and changing clothes once I arrived. (Advice: take a change of clothes...)

Favorite clothing for winter commuting:
Smartwool longsleeve shirts (I have three or four, in different thicknesses.)
Craft "Storm" gloves (great for colder/wetter days. Cold fingers make me miserable.)
Bridgedale medium weight wool socks (I wear these year round. Unlike fingers, it's rare for cold/wet toes to really bother me.)
Sport Hill Nomad 2 running pants. (These layer nicely over my Brooks running tights if it's really cold.)
Performance Flow wind jacket in neon yellow ($20 from Nashbar, I should have bought several!)

My Showers Pass jacket got regular use too, and I like its reflective features, but I can't say it's favorite. The temperature had to be pretty cold, or I'd feel like I needed a shower when I arrived because it's just not as breathable as I wanted.

I don't know how many times I carried rain pants in my pannier, but I've only worn them literally a couple times.
Old 08-31-18, 10:58 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 96 Posts
I also have struggled recently to find gear that worked for me, but mostly because I have lost my tolerance for cold weather. I had been wearing the usual cycling gear (tights, wool jersey, Showers Pass jacket, gloves) but found that inadequate. Two years ago I added bar mitts and that helped a lot, but I still was too cold, at least at the start of a ride. And then I tried a cape. It has made a big difference! It allows me to layer up underneath so I can stay warm at the beginning of the ride but unzip as I warm up. The cape I chose is from Otto of London.
Old 08-31-18, 11:44 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Layering is key. Becoming comfortable with the idea you’re gonna get wet will be helpful too.

Choose layers of technical fabrics or wool appropriate for your tastes and budget. Finish with the best quality BREATHABLE outerwear you can afford. Adjust your layers and ventilation according to the weather at the time. You’ll probably want to be layered up more on the ride home than on the ride in, so you’ll need to pack some stuff in just for the ride home.

Drop any notion of staying perfectly dry. It’s not really possible. You’re either gonna get a little wet from the rain, or from your own sweat because you’re not ventilated enough. The idea is to try to find a comfortable spot somewhere in the middle.

Break out your wallet and shop for well ventilated rain gear from the major brands like Gore, Showers Pass, REI, etc. Under layers of wool, polypropylene or polyester will help with the perspiration on the inside. No cotton. No matter what the label promises, cotton doesn’t deliver. A cold, wet ride for me would require a polyester short sleeve t-shirt, a long sleeve polyester t-shirt over that. Then maybe a long sleeve wool shirt on next if cold enough. I have an REI cycling rain jacket over the top. Liner shorts on bottom, with poly thermal over that. Nylon or poly pants or knickers. Showers pass rain pants on top. These are extreme examples. Most of the time I’m wearing minimal layers to optimize ventilation.

I find gloves to be the trickiest. Anything good enough to keep the rain and cold from my fingers, traps sweat. I prefer thinner gloves that offer more tactile sensitivity but run a little colder than thicker, heavier gloves that might keep my fingers warm but feel like I’m wearing boxing gloves. I got a pair from REI that work pretty well; mostly warm, a little sweaty, but I can still feel what’s happening.

My feet get wet. I will use toe covers when it’s cold, but mostly I go without. I pack a pair of dry socks. I wear a poly skull cap on the coldest days. It’s warm yet breathable. My head gets wet when it rains. I find helmet covers to be very effective head saunas. A poly skull cap is kinda like a wetsuit; once soaked, the water warms from your body heat and helps insulate your head. It also seems to pull water out of my hair. I know it sounds odd, but my hair is drier under a soaked skull cap than when left exposed to the rain. And warmer too.

Safety glasses keep rain from peppering my eyes, and a genuine Buff covers the rest of my face and neck. I arrive mostly dry and not uncomfortably cold or hot. Everything hangs on hangers and is dry by the end of the day.

This works (well enough) for me, but I like threads like these to maybe pick up something from someone else. I’m always ready to learn.

Edited to add RainX. I put RainX on my glasses, which help tremendously to keep water off the lenses. Sounds fussy? Try it and you’ll be amazed.

-Kedosto

Last edited by Kedosto; 08-31-18 at 11:51 PM. Reason: RainX
Old 09-02-18, 11:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another thread is going in regional PNW section ..
Old 09-12-18, 08:49 PM
jetta_mike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone that worked outdoors for years I finally figured out that it's easier to stay warm, than it is dry, in our corner of the continent.

For pants i wear the MEC Adanac pants. Which are water resistant and layer with light weight wool long johns.

Up top I wear a light weight wool long sleeve, a polar fleece vest, and a water proof breathable jacket with a hood. On really cold days I wear the hood under my helmet.

​​​​ Hands I was using pogies but this year I want to try windproof gloves.

My feet aren't am issue so regular flat pedal shoes work fine.
Old 09-18-18, 10:10 AM
Jermi4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to commuter in the winters in Eugene! This will be my upcoming fourth All Season commute, took a break 2 years ago for the big ice storm, only missed one day!

I change at work into scrubs which is huge, hard to imagine how any work clothes could be worn during a rainy cold commute. My Philosophy is definitely to get wet, start cold, ride hard to stay warm. On top I wear a base layer spandex long sleeve, underneath a thin long sleeve Tech fabric. If the temperatures are in the mid 30s or below I just wear a thicker spandex long sleeve. If it's raining, I get wet... For bottoms I wear a pair of loose fitted fleece, no particular waterproofing, in colder weather I wear a pair of spandex shorts underneath this for a little bit of crotch wind protection. I wear a thin running hat underneath my helmet. One or two layers of thin running gloves down into the 40s, then add a skiing style glove with long gauntlets for colder weather or heavy rain.

I think that shoes and feet are the most important thing to keep dry, nothing is worse than putting on a wet pair of shoes before your next commute. My Gore-Tex brand waterproof over shoes were the most expensive part of my outfit, keep my shoes bone dry underneath regardless of how heavy it's raining or how much spray there is off my fenders. I've tried a variety of shoe covers and over shoes, I can't recommend the Gore-Tex ones highly enough.

If you are able to get a couple of hangers at work to hang your deer and let it dry it helps out a huge amount. Locker room is nice if available.

Don't forget good lighting! Watch out for the bums on the river trails!
Old 09-24-18, 10:00 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Tell us a little more about how you plan to commute. Flat pedals or clipless? For a commute less than 5 miles, I would just go with flat pedals as that will give you many more options for shoes, which is the second hardest thing to get right .

I have multiple pairs of gloves that I use depending on conditions. Some are for cold and dry, some are for cold and wet, some are mild and dry, some are for mild and wet. Your definitions of these will vary based on how adapted your hands are to cold weather.

It is much easier to dress for the winter than it is for the "shoulder seasons" of fall and spring. Once the temps drop below 65 and start to rain, you will face the problem of being "warm and wet" until the temps drop below about 45. 60 degrees is too cold to get wet without a jacket, but too warm to wear a jacket and be comfortable. You end up wet, but from sweat, not from rain. I go with just a light rain layer and try to not hammer on my ride, or I will sweat too much.

One thing that I would suggest is to keep a notebook of what clothing works and what doesn't based on the conditions they were used.
Old 09-25-18, 02:39 PM
canuckjgc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I commuted for years in Vancouver. Key is your attitude and mental approach and accepting you will be wet (and often cold because it's impossible to stay dry) but deciding to do it anyway and enjoy the ride. Personally I found the full waterproof jackets too much - way to clammy inside as even the best ones didn't breathe all that well. I went with Sportful Hot Pack which has a breathable layer of different material under the arms that worked pretty well. I found neoprene booties essential.
Old 09-25-18, 04:59 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Just give showers pass all your money. I love my showers pass jacket and rain pants. I wear them basically all winter in Portland. Underneath I wear various layers of wool shirts. A wool beanie under the helmet is another must have item. Gloves are the trickiest and unreasonably expensive. I currently use Pearl Izumi Barrier gloves on warmer days and showers pass gloves on colder days. I got both in clearance sales. Before then I just wore wool gloves with a liner underneath. I had two pairs. I would switch to the dry pair for the ride home. Feet can also be tricky. I use clipless pedals and for years used various booties which all wear out way too fast. Finally, two years ago I bought a pair of waterproof cycling shoes which I really like. That said it's hard to buy it all at once so, booties or an extra pair of dry socks can be an option.

Ultimately, it will depend what bothers you. Some people can't stand cold hands. I hated having wet shoes to put on more than cold hands. I think if it keeps you wanting to ride when it's dark, cold and wet it is money well spent.