Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Going tubeless

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Going tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 12:47 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by nbarbieri
The descriptions for the horizon's I find online are all folding bead and mention that they can be run tubeless. Mine might just be an OEM specific product for Marin.
Not just for Marlin. Raleigh also uses those OEM Horizons, on their Redux: https://www.raleighusa.com/redux-135724
Old 08-21-18, 12:52 PM
nbarbieri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Not just for Marlin. Raleigh also uses those OEM Horizons, on their Redux
Not surprised. There are probably a couple more out there as well.
Old 08-21-18, 03:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I think if you don’t have tubeless rims you’re probably just as well off putting Stan’s in your tubes instead.
Old 08-24-18, 06:19 AM
praivo

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I've been using a "ghetto" tubeless conversion (using a split 20" tube and Caffélatex) on my commuter with 26×1,75" Mitas Shields and old 21mm single-wall (!) rims for about a year and 1600 km. Everything worked surprisingly well, I was getting barely any leaks even without sealant, and didn't even need a compressor. With tubes, I used to get flats every <500 km, either from punctures or from ripping the valve stem off after the tube moved during braking. Without tubes, I just keep them inflated and add sealant every 4 to 6 months, that's all. I've never had a puncture that the sealant couldn't seal, even though I've ridden through/over a lot of crap including broken glass, and the valve hasn't moved.

Last weekend, I decided to convert my MTB (27.5×2" Schwalbe Hurricanes on 18mm Remerx MasterDiscs), this time with all the Caffélatex stuff (tape, valves, sealant). The Hurricanes were a bit looser than the Shields and wouldn't hold more than 10 psi without using a compressor and about 80 ml of sealant, but after I did manage to inflate them to 40 psi, getting them to seal completely only took a minute or two and they've now been holding 20 and 25 psi for about 100 km with no signs of any problems.*

Despite none of the tires and rims being tubeless-ready (and the tires having wire beads, not kevla), I haven't had any problems with the tires coming unseated or leaks/bleeding sealant though the sidewalls.*
Old 08-29-18, 10:40 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
With today's staple puncture through both sides of a tube I was missing my tubeless setup.
Old 09-25-18, 08:25 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Update on my setup. I got another flat on my rear Hutchinson Sector 28 tire two weeks ago. Something went through the patch that I had applied on the inside of the tire. I was able to plug the tire and was on my way in less than 10 minutes.

When I got home that night, I replace the rear tire with one of my new "armored" Goodyear Eagle tires. That lasted for two weeks until today. I got a large slice in the tire. I have no idea what did it. I did not see any glass or other things in the road. I tried to use three plugs to seal up the slice but it was no good. I ended up putting in a tube and riding home. I will put the second Goodyear Eagle on the rear when I get a chance. I can tell that there is a lot more roll resistance with the Goodyears vs. the Hutchinsons. My average speed went down .5-.8 mph and my legs are more tired every day that I ride.

I just ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tires. They are supposed to have both low roll resistance and high puncture resistance. I am only going to ride until daylight savings time kicks in. If I get another flat, then the Schwalbe tires go on. Otherwise, I may not get to them. If they fail, I am done with my tubeless experiment. Three sets of tires in a single season costing $400 is more than I am willing to pay every year for tires.
Old 09-26-18, 09:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
On my Krampus, last weekend I replaced my worn stock Knards with a pair of Bontrager Chupacabras I got off eBay lightly used. They were ghetto before, and I reused the same split tube to do ghetto again. It was pretty interesting that the old tires came out with the split tube sealed to it, had to rip it off. The new tires went on pretty easy, sealed up with just manually pulling the bead up to the rim and vigorous floor pumping. They held 40psi solid even before I deflated them to inject the sealant, and afterwards not one drop of sealant leaked out the bead or wept through the sidewall (latter is not surprising since the chupas are TR).

This was my easiest tubeless setup ever! So much easier than trying to seal a rim with tape. I'm ghetto 4 life! I don't care if there's flaps, or if the split tube weighs more than tape. Easiest to set up and most reliable long-term, that's a win-win for me.
Old 09-26-18, 08:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Yeah, but that’s for 3 in tires at volleyball pressure, not 25’s at 100 psi
Old 09-26-18, 09:08 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went tubeless 3 years ago on my new bike. I’ll never go back to tubes. Having said that it’s not for everyone. There is a little of learning curve on putting the tires on and off, also the way you find the hole and repair is different. The cost is higher to operate (at least a little). Tires more expensive and the sealant is more expensive than tubes, at least initially, cost average, I say it’s about the same. But the real advantage is on the comfortable ride that it gives. Also I haven’t had a flat in three years that I couldn’t plug, add air and be on the way in less than 5-10 min. That was until 3 days ago that I had something slash my tire while riding, instant flat and no repair. Put my narrow light weight foldable Maxis 28, that I carry as spare (for that same reason and I was considering ditching that extra tire, untill 3 days ago). I could carry a tire boot and tube, but I don’t have confidence on the compromise tire and tube. I find the tire selection is somewhat limited but you have a good pool to choose from. Like the Maxis, Schwalbe and the Hutchinson 28 (hardest to mount on and off).

I have never missed the train for a flat in three years. Went recently on self support 520 mile tour and no flats. Very happy with the ease of repair (no need to take tire wheel out of the bike). The quality ride is like riding on carpet, a most for harsh riding aluminum frames!

Tubeless tires require a little more maintenance than tube tires. Some tires don’t seal as good and I find myself inflating the tires every other day, compare to every 3 or 4 days with a tube. However, the Marathon seal very well and go for a whole week with no need for inflation. Every 2 to 3 months I need to take wheels off and add 1-1.5 oz of sealant. I carry 1oz bottle with sealant as a spare tube, just in case I get a big hole that takes a fair amount of sealant and/or a plug or two to seal, then I add the extra oz as a precaution. Was caught with a dry tire (long time ago) after several self healing holes and no adding sealant for long time. Even then, I was able to seal the hole with a plug and make it home (45 min ride and one stop to add air before adding sealant).

That’s my experience with tubeless, hope it can make someone’s mind if you are on the fence. One thing, I do have tubeless ready rims!

Double O
Old 09-27-18, 09:06 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Yeah, but that’s for 3 in tires at volleyball pressure, not 25’s at 100 psi
Yes, but it was trivial to get them up to 40, even though in the end I ride them between 10-15.

And I would never ride 25/100. My commuter (crosscheck) has 700x50 on the back and I think 700x42 on the front. When they ride too soft (I test them every day riding over the triangular steel rail for my work's retractable gate), I find they're at like 15-20, and I pump them up to 30 or 40. (And those tires are tubed, but I was thinking just this morning about going split-tube/ghetto tubeless with them next time I have to replace the tires)
Old 09-28-18, 04:09 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
I have a love/hate relationship with TL. When it works, it is great, when it doesn't, it sucks.
..snip..

My personal experience. I've only used regular Stans sealant. For tape I've used Gorilla tape (IMO sucked), Stans tape, and more recently a combination of the much cheaper Scotch 8898 and 898. The fact that Scotch tape is so cheap, retaping if needed and starting over is not expensive, just a PITA. Patching a tube on the side of the road is a PITA too though.
Follow up. My love hate relationship has not changed. It is more reinforced on both sides. I've had to redo the setup on my rear twice since I posted that above. I have 700x38C Hutchinson Overide on WTB i23 Freq race rims. I did once with Orange Seal Endurance instead of my normal Stans and just the Scotch 898 strapping tape, one loop in the middle, two on the outside and a topper in the middle. It worked for about a month but.. I got some leaking from the valve stem. This usually indicates the tape is leaking somewhere and into the spoke channel and then out the stem but after pulling the tire and looking, I don't think so in this case, I really do think it was just the seal around my stem, it was dry and had some deformity to it. Oh well, either way and not taking the risk I pulled all of the tape off anyway and this time went with Tyvek home wrap tape, 2 laps around. That stuff is STICKY. Easy to cut to width and apply and gets down in the center channel easily, you do not have to pull as hard as Stans or the Scotch 8898. I hope it doesn't leave a residue because that would suck. I put a tube in and filled up the tire, let it sit for a few hours and then went with the sealant. That step really pushed down on the tape. Also went with the velotube stems someone earlier suggested, nice stems and a great price. I got lazy this time and didn't spend a few hours (half-joking) picking all of the dried sealant boogers from the sidewall, it did seep on intial fill though because of that old sealant. Funny thing here. I did my front tire once with my old rims and once when I switched to new rims, never had a single problem. My back tire is on like it's 5th time. Holes, leaks, rim swap, and another hole. I did my MTB early this year to and haven't had a single issue on either tire. That is Stans tape and Stans sealant (probably dried out by now). Sometimes the process works flawless and lasts a long time, sometimes it works for a month or so, and sometimes if just doesn't work.

Lessons learned so far.
- I had initially either in this thread or another suggested using Gorilla tape to seal slits and holes in the tire on the inside. I had good luck with that in the past. I noticed this time on a patch I did the sealant munched up the tape and shriveled it up. I can't say that is a long term fix, it took me a while to clean up the remaining residue from the inside of the tire and this time applied a regular tube patch. I will no longer use or suggest Gorilla tape to repair large slits.
- On the fence with tapes still. I still like the Scotch 8898 but mine seems to not be as flexible as it was when i bought it a few months ago, must not have a long shelf life. It was too hard to get into the deep center of the WTB i23 rims. Read about the Tyvek and people having good luck so gave it a whirl. It comes in 48mm x 164ft roll for $13 at Home Depot and slit in half worked perfect for me. That's 328 feet so I won't run out for a long time.
- My Hutchinson Overides have a ton of small holes on the road touching tread area. When I fill up tubeless after being tubed, there are about 50 places with pin holes that leak until the sealant does it's thing, zero on the sidewalls.

Last edited by u235; 09-28-18 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-28-18, 05:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
- My Hutchinson Overides have a ton of small holes on the road touching tread area. When I fill up tubeless after being tubed, there are about 50 places with pin holes that leak until the sealant does it's thing, zero on the sidewalls.
This seems to be fairly normal. My Overides do it, my Maxxis ReFuse did it, pretty much every tire I've used does it to some degree. I call 'em weepers, they show me where I would have gotten a flat tire had I been on tubes.
Old 09-29-18, 05:45 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Love Hate

Ok FWIW. I run Schawbe Pro one on ENV 4.5's. Had close to 2k to my first flat (Love). Sidewall cut 12 miles from my car, 30 miles from home, learned quick, although I had a spare, no fricken way my 66 year old arthritic hands was going to remove that tire (Hate). Sealent actually started to hold, but only to about 40lbs. Enough for me to limp back to my car (Love). Took to LBS for new tire. They could not get it to seat and as they added sealant right off the bat they made a big mess. They finally gave up and added a tube, told me a lost cause (Hate). Didn't like that so I did research, bought an airshot and went for it myself. Ruined that new tire trying to get it off (learning curve Hate). Mounted another new tire went like a dream (Love). Fast forward a couple of weeks. Going over my bike the front tire right sidewall was showing the cords. Have no idea what happened but decided to replace WTF (Hate). OK, I thought, I got this down now. Got new tire but had a hard time mounting/ seating it have no idea why but took 4 attempts (hate). The ride, the ride the ride (love). SUMMARY. They are more work and sometimes they can be a PITA. Steep learning curve but, at least for me, at this point in time, I'll keep using them as the ride and conform are second to none.

TIPS, What I learned.(At least for my setup).
Unseating the tire. I use wooden shims and gentle pry between the bead and rim working the bead to the center. Once both beads are in the center tire comes off easy. Plastic tire irons too thick to work.
Mounting. Kool stop Tool! When half the tire is on, make sure that bead stays in center channel when going for second one. This was my problem the second time around.
Inflating. Seat tire BEFORE sealant! Remove valve core. SOAP Tire sides. I needed an airshot and feel you do need a quick blast of air. After seated add sealant, valve core, pump up to only 40 lbs spin tire etc gve sealent a chance to work at lower pressure. Pump to full pressure. Done. No mess.

I also put the tire in water to check leaks. Absolutly none. NOTE the original lbs mount showed slow air bubbles out of some spoke holes and valve stem. Is this why folks think tubeless need air more often as these leaks were very minor Normal?
Old 10-02-18, 09:26 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Today I grabbed my bike to ride home and immediately when I moved it I heard a sssssss from the front. Yipe! Up and away to get that sealant sloshing. It sealed up but was obviously a bit down. Didn't slow down to investigate the exact location but it will be the bead. I need to get a different set of tires. I'm tired of these weeping. They're OEM non-tubeless and aren't really up to it. Funny thing, on the first go-round with the TruckerCo it didn't weep, though it leaked at the bead due to a bad tape job, and wouldn't hold air for long. But since I put Stan's in on the second go it's staying sealed but it's leaking right through the sidewall and keeping itself pretty wet.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-02-18 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 09:28 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

My recent change from stock (non-TR) Knards to TR Chupacabras has eliminated leakage for me. Most decent MTB tires sold today are TR, so when you get new tires you should be in great shape. I'm a cheapskate though and try to buy lightly-used tires off fleabay, and we're still in a transition period where people converting to tubeless are selling off their non-TR tires, or companies/vendors clearing out non-TR stock. Like yours, the tread looks in great shape, they will do a great 1000mi for somebody that wants to run tubes or put up with weeping.