Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Topeak MTX Office Bag Rack Trunk

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-09, 03:23 PM
divtag

Bikes: '09 Salsa El Mariachi, '08 Surly Cross Check, '06 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was brought up in a couple of laptop threads, but I haven't read/heard of anybody who has actually used one.

https://www.rei.com/product/784652

Anybody have any experience? Could I attach panniers in addition to this? I actually have the rack for it, so that wouldn't be a deciding factor. I have been debating between panniers until this popped up in a couple of threads.
Old 08-09-09, 07:53 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
I have the topeak super tourist DX tubular rack and use it regularly with their MTX trunk bag. I have no problem attaching full panniers on those days when I use them (fold up the baby zip out panniers, put my real panniers on with the trunk bag. But note on my version of the Topeak rack, the top pannier hook bar is a little lower than the shelf. If your rack is NOT that kind, and they make several models, you might have more of a nuisance where either you have to mount the panniers first and then slide on the computer bag, or maybe even there's some clearance issues with sliding on the computer bag.
See https://www.topeak.com/products/Racks...tDXTubularRack and compare to some of their others.

As far as that computer bag, I looked at it in the store and wasn't particularly impressed with the padding. I'm still a bit of a nervous nellie that worries about jarring my laptop around with shock transmitted through the rack, even though hard drives are getting better. On the infrequent times I need to carry one, I put it in a sleeve and carry it (alone) in a messenger bag so my love handles add extra cushioning. Or put it into a pannier with a towel or some clothing between it and the rack. I put all the peripherals and crap into the (other) pannier.

This bag didn't look any worse than a non-computer specific bag for its padding, but not much better. And given the two REI reviewers comments about the design squishing the laptop closed from that road noise and weight, I'm not taking it for a test drive.
Old 08-09-09, 09:38 PM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems to me that anyone that uses a laptop frequently knows that you can't really put much weight on the screen portion while transporting it or it will scratch. The placement of the machine in relationship to the rest of the cargo is pretty obvious...

When I transport my laptop via bike I always put the felt liner that came with the laptop inside it before closing the lid. There is a reason they pack the computer with it.

Im pretty happy with my topeak MTX trunk and rack. They are of good quality and easy to use. I don't have that particular trunk and carry my computer in a messenger bag.
Old 08-09-09, 11:31 PM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm, I'd rather hang a laptop in a pannier rather than sit it on the rack.
Old 08-10-09, 07:41 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by stevage
Hmm, I'd rather hang a laptop in a pannier rather than sit it on the rack.
That was my thought, too, although I really can't justify it. If a pannier is solidly attached, I don't see how it's better or worse than sitting the laptop on top of the rack. I don't regularly travel with a laptop, but when I do I opt for wearing it in a satchel or a backpack, because I figure I provide some shock absorption that the rack/bike will not.

And to echo what slcbob said, your rack has to have the 2nd, lower set of rails to use any wide trunk with panniers. I have the standard MTX trunk bag, and I have tried to use it with panniers of a higher capacity than the zip down panniers built into the trunk bag, but it doesn't work. The bag is too wide and interferes with the panniers. That laptop bag looks considerably wider than bags, so I expect you'd have the same problem.
Old 03-10-16, 11:47 AM
shanewlewis

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divtag
This was brought up in a couple of laptop threads, but I haven't read/heard of anybody who has actually used one.

https://www.rei.com/product/784652

Anybody have any experience? Could I attach panniers in addition to this? I actually have the rack for it, so that wouldn't be a deciding factor. I have been debating between panniers until this popped up in a couple of threads.
Sorry to have resurrected this thread from 7 years ago, but in case anyone is still interested in this and found this thread on Google, like I did, I'd like to offer my two cents. This Office Bag from Topeak is excellent. It comfortably holds a 1.5" binder, 15" laptop, and other school/office supplies, and fits securely on my MTX QuickTrack rack and BeamRack. Unfortunately, it seems as though this product is no longer being manufactured, and is largely unavailable except for the link you provided at a ridiculous markup. I'd better make sure to take good care of mine, because unless they bring this back or update it with a new model, I'll have to go back to using a backpack again. Or get normal panniers, because the Explorer EXP (or whatever it's called) trunk bag with expandable panniers, while spacious and convenient, is not easy to carry around and access in class or at the office.

Last edited by shanewlewis; 03-12-16 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spell-check.
Old 03-11-16, 06:52 AM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
What Ortlieb suggests is to use a "Notebook Sleeve" and storing it, vertically, inside one pannier. It is always better to carry the laptop/tablet vertically so the rattling can be absorbed by the screen frame, and with the battery (which is usually the heaviest part) facing down in order to aid stability.

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/produkt-d...eeve&artnr=nop
Old 03-12-16, 10:37 AM
shanewlewis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curbowman
What Ortlieb suggests is to use a "Notebook Sleeve" and storing it, vertically, inside one pannier. It is always better to carry the laptop/tablet vertically so the rattling can be absorbed by the screen frame, and with the battery (which is usually the heaviest part) facing down in order to aid stability.

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/produkt-d...eeve&artnr=nop
This is exactly what I do when I do put my laptop in my pannier. The biggest reason I don't like using them is the type of panniers I have: they're attached to the trunk bag. It's convenient for carrying things, but not ergonomic or practical for taking into class three times a day.

Someday, I'll get a couple of nice panniers. I just feel like I'm currently committed to this Topeak Quick Track system. If I had been a more experienced rider before purchasing the rack, I might have gone with something different. I still like the system, though! No need for bungees or velcro straps to hold my trunk bag to the rack, and as long as this Office Bag holds up it's perfect for me.
Attached Images
Old 03-13-16, 08:22 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by shanewlewis
This is exactly what I do when I do put my laptop in my pannier. The biggest reason I don't like using them is the type of panniers I have: they're attached to the trunk bag. It's convenient for carrying things, but not ergonomic or practical for taking into class three times a day.

Someday, I'll get a couple of nice panniers. I just feel like I'm currently committed to this Topeak Quick Track system. If I had been a more experienced rider before purchasing the rack, I might have gone with something different. I still like the system, though! No need for bungees or velcro straps to hold my trunk bag to the rack, and as long as this Office Bag holds up it's perfect for me.
Shane, I'm confused. It sounds like you think panniers won't work with Quick Track. Au contraire. They work great, at least on all the permutations I've played with.

I've got some fairly basic Jandd bags with just hooks, and some Ortliebs with the more involved latch. No problem. If I use my little Topeak trunk bag with the pannier pockets, I just need to fold them up. The bag will still go on and come off, with or without the panniers mounted.

That office bag of yours might need to come off so you can attach the panniers, but then I bet you can slide it right back on as long as you aren't using a tall pannier that goes up above its top hooks.
Old 03-13-16, 08:25 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

P.S. this is a nice laptop sleeve. Aerostich Padded Laptop Computer Sleeve - Laptop Bags & Briefcases - More Packing Options - Bags :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
Old 03-13-16, 08:27 PM
shanewlewis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Shane, I'm confused. It sounds like you think panniers won't work with Quick Track. Au contraire. They work great, at least on all the permutations I've played with.

I've got some fairly basic Jandd bags with just hooks, and some Ortliebs with the more involved latch. No problem. If I use my little Topeak trunk bag with the pannier pockets, I just need to fold them up. The bag will still go on and come off, with or without the panniers mounted.

That office bag of yours might need to come off so you can attach the panniers, but then I bet you can slide it right back on as long as you aren't using a tall pannier that goes up above its top hooks.
No, I assumed that you can use traditional panniers with the rack, but if it turned out to be more convenient to do that, then I could've saved money by getting a normal rack and not buying the special trunk bag and all that. That's all I meant. Probably not too big a deal either way, haha.
Old 03-13-16, 08:50 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

OK. I understand.

Once I get a few arrows in my quiver, I always start to favor some and think I wasted money on others. Then it evolves over time.
Old 10-16-18, 01:39 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts