Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub overhaul vs. flush and lube

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-01-19, 07:40 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts

I have a Deore LX hub that's about 20 years old and the freehub is sticky. I'm comfortable removing the freehub and making a spline tool to disassemble it if it comes to that, but I wanted to ask for opinions on doing a full overhaul versus flushing it with solvent and lubricating with a heavy oil. I'd rather do less work, but how long would tenacious oil effectively lubricate the bearings? Won't solvent remain in the freehub and make it even less effective? If I overhaul, how likely is it that park grease won't eventually run and impede the pawls? Anyone have thoughts or experience?
Old 05-01-19, 07:54 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by eeuuugh
I have a Deore LX hub that's about 20 years old and the freehub is sticky.... I'd rather do less work, but how long would tenacious oil effectively lubricate the bearings?
I'm a do-less-work guy too. Whenever I am repacking the hub bearings, I remove the freehub body and lube it. For me, this means peeling back the rubber seal and dripping a little 30w oil into it. I spin it to distribute the oil and listen. When it begins to sound wet, I'm done.

BTW, what do you mean that the freehubs is "sticky"?

Less work, more riding.
Old 05-01-19, 08:39 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I'm a do-less-work guy too. Whenever I am repacking the hub bearings, I remove the freehub body and lube it. For me, this means peeling back the rubber seal and dripping a little 30w oil into it. I spin it to distribute the oil and listen. When it begins to sound wet, I'm done.
Ditto. You can also soak the freehub in Odorless Mineral Spirits after removing the rubber seal. Spin the hub around every few hours to loosen up the gunk. If you have access to an air compressor you can blow out the residual OMS to dry or just let it sit for a couple of days to dry. I've found that Shimano hubs like a lube roughly in the 90 weight viscosity such as Phil's Tenacious, Chain L chain lube, 90wt gear oil, etc. Anything heavier such as grease tends to slow the teeth from engaging and lighter tends to seep through the seals. I've done the complete disassembly/clean/re-assemble deal and is a PITA trying to count and put all the little ball bearings in place and not much better than the flush and lube method.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-01-19, 08:48 AM
eeuuugh

Originally Posted by BCDrums

Less work, more riding.
I got it from a friend, don't know how many miles on it but the rim it's laced to is very worn. It ratchets but there's a lot of resistance when turning the freehub by hand, my best guess is the grease in the freehub has turned to gunk.
Old 05-01-19, 08:50 AM
eeuuugh

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Ditto. You can also soak the freehub in Odorless Mineral Spirits after removing the rubber seal. Spin the hub around every few hours to loosen up the gunk. If you have access to an air compressor you can blow out the residual OMS to dry or just let it sit for a couple of days to dry. I've found that Shimano hubs like a lube roughly in the 90 weight viscosity such as Phil's Tenacious, Chain L chain lube, 90wt gear oil, etc. Anything heavier such as grease tends to slow the teeth from engaging and lighter tends to seep through the seals. I've done the complete disassembly/clean/re-assemble deal and is a PITA trying to count and put all the little ball bearings in place and not much better than the flush and lube method.
Thanks, I've got mineral spirits and access to an air compressor, was thinking that might be the best way to dissipate the solvent. I watched RJ the bike guy's videos on this and didn't like how he just wiped it dry and shook the solvent out.
Old 05-01-19, 09:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'd make the options a) remove flush and relube , or b) just replace ..

given, as you say, : "It's about 20 years old" ...

Freehub drivers separate from the hubshell (except for low/least cost bike's parts) ...

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-01-19 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 09:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got it from a friend, don't know how many miles on it but the rim it's laced to is very worn. It ratchets but there's a lot of resistance when turning the freehub by hand, my best guess is the grease in the freehub has turned to gunk.
might be time to get a new replacement wheel, general bike shop repair wheel ..
Old 05-01-19, 09:47 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
[QUOTE=BCDrums;20909114]I'm a do-less-work guy too. Whenever I am repacking the hub bearings, I remove the freehub body and lube it. For me, this means peeling back the rubber seal and dripping a little 30w oil into it. I spin it to distribute the oil and listen. When it begins to sound wet, I'm done.

Less work, more riding.

This to begin and see how you get on. Most likely all you need to do.
Old 05-01-19, 09:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
This! I've overhauled many freewheels and a number of freehub bodies back when. Even had (still do?) the Shimano tool for working on the FH body's threaded bearing ring. There's little to be gained by taking them apart compared to simple flush/soak. If you have access to compressed air then just use that to blow out solvent/OMS. Often these FH bodies have a "rubber" seal on their backside that can be pried out and reinstalled w/o a complete tear down.

I'll add that on the various freewheels and FH bodies I have greased I've never had an issue with pawl hang up. But I only applied grease to the ball pathways and coated all else with Phil oil or equivalent. Same as I do with SA AW hubs Andy.
Old 05-01-19, 11:01 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Years ago I bought the shimano freehub tool so I could add a heavier spring for the pawls. The reason for the heavier spring is that I have a Freehub Daddy and use it to pump grease through the freehub body every 5k miles. I never have freehub problems.
If I were going to service mine today I would flush and oil because the 'Daddy' is no longer available.
Old 05-01-19, 12:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
Morningstar and JA Stein both offered (still do?) grease injection tools for freewheels and FH Bodies. I've used both many times and sometimes they work less messily the other times. Always with Phil grease which is thinner then some and less prone to pawl stick. Not heard of the "Daddy" tool name though. Andy
Old 05-01-19, 12:28 PM
skoda2

Bikes: 74 Romic, 83 Basso, Lotto, 88 Condor, Prestige MTB, 12 Soma, Groove

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The name was Freehub Buddy
Old 05-01-19, 02:27 PM
eeuuugh

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'm going to flush it and lubricate it.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
might be time to get a new replacement wheel, general bike shop repair wheel ..
Tossing the rim and keeping the hub.
Old 05-01-19, 09:58 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
[QUOTE=Andrew R Stewart;20909561]Morningstar and JA Stein both offered (still do?).../QUOTE]
Andy, I don't think I have seen anything in a several years as my family could use a couple.
Old 05-02-19, 01:21 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by davidad
Years ago I bought the shimano freehub tool so I could add a heavier spring for the pawls. The reason for the heavier spring is that I have a Freehub Daddy and use it to pump grease through the freehub body every 5k miles. I never have freehub problems.
If I were going to service mine today I would flush and oil because the 'Daddy' is no longer available.
My mistake it's Buddy.
Old 05-02-19, 01:24 PM
davidad

[QUOTE=easyupbug;20910287]
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Morningstar and JA Stein both offered (still do?).../QUOTE]
Andy, I don't think I have seen anything in a several years as my family could use a couple.
https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...eehub-flusher/
Old 05-02-19, 08:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Unless someone has taken over the Morningstar brand, I'd assume that any of his tools are NLA.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-02-19, 08:37 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
Thanks, I've got mineral spirits and access to an air compressor, was thinking that might be the best way to dissipate the solvent. I watched RJ the bike guy's videos on this and didn't like how he just wiped it dry and shook the solvent out.
After the solvent, I like to spray brake cleaner inside. It drives out the solvent and naturally evaporates quickly. Then the air.