Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Trek 720 Custom, made with Reynolds butted 531

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 08:51 AM
VanRAH

Bikes: Colin Laing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Trek 720 Custom, made with Reynolds butted 531 frame tubes and fork. Dark Cherry red, approximately 2500 miles. I was a Bike Nash Bar certified installer back in the 80’s & 90’s. A customer - friend would come & ask me to build a bike; we would order a frame after carefully measuring customer to builder’s requests. This bike has a 22-1/2”(57.2?) Seat tube, 21-3/4”(57.8?) Top tube CL to CL & 41-1/2”(105.4?) Wheel Base. I built about 20 customs over 20+ years. This was one of the last that I built around 1990 (?). He was a longtime friend but we built it too late in life & it never got ridden very much. He passed away recently & his wife has asked me to sell this & two other bikes. This is a beautiful machine. But dirty with 20 years of basement dust & cob webs. Clean it up & ride the Ferrari of the past! Call 608 752-5925 NO Tex, Ask for Bob Jr.
I've been told I need to list a price. $950.00 OBO.
Call & make me an offer & I'll relay it to her. You may get pleasantly surprised or a no thank you?

Last edited by VanRAH; 04-08-19 at 08:53 AM. Reason: because keep pushing the wrong button-key!
Old 04-18-19, 12:40 PM
bwillard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike!! I'm awfully tempted!
Old 04-18-19, 03:55 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. This is a beautiful bike and I hope it finds a good home. I've had a few of these pass through my hands and they are fine riding bikes.
Old 04-19-19, 08:46 AM
VanRAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good Morning Bwillard, Bikemig & all; Thank you for the kind words. This is a beautiful bike for sure, ya a bit (OK a lot) dusty with spider homes included. I'm sure with some soap & water it would clean up very nicely. I would bet that it has hardly any scratches? It just wasn't used! And even tho I built it years ago I'll assure you that every bearing in every set (race) is Exactly the same size! If you missed it earlier during the time (74-89?) span that I built bikes I was working at Parker Pen as the ball grinder - finisher. So I had equipment to measure every ball down to 20 millionth of an inch, that's no bull sh-t. I prided myself in building the smoothest bikes possible. Thanks for lookin', Bob Jr.
Old 04-20-19, 05:19 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I'm a huge Trek 720 fan- and I know you didn't ask for any advice, and you do mention you're selling it for someone...

But the asking price is top dollar- While the paint and the frame look to be in excellent shape- You might wish to detail what's all on this bike- it looks like you've got really nice stuff on the bike- but all I can really see is M735 derailleurs, and what look to be black M734 cantilevers.

You worked at Parker?

I'm also a huge fan of the old Big Red pens. I've got 2- one that used to be my Grandfather's and one I picked up because I didn't want to lose my Grandfather's pen.

Best of luck with the sale and my condolences for your friend and his family.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-22-19, 07:54 PM
VanRAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good Evening Golden Boy & all; My Dad's side 3 generations of US Post Office including me for a bit. I quit & went to Parker, Big mistake? My mother's side of the family including my mother (just during the war, II), uncles, great aunts & me for 9 yrs+. As I came out in the first round of buy outs as the two brothers that inherited it bailed, 1983. Went back to Engineering & mechanical design. At Parker I worked 8 straight hours, in & out. Ya fit lunch & breaks in when ya could. I lived 15-20 minutes by bike from work so I had a bunch of free time. That really kept the cost of going to work down to a minimum. Less gas, less miles (car held value longer), less tires, less brakes & I worked 3rd shift. So my car only seen sun on week ends. The paint is still pretty good 40 years later (subjective)? But I'm not telling anyone here anything new! Anyway I primarily made the balls, + or - 20 millionths. My personal goal was + or - 5 millionths. I sold most of the old pens I had to build my last Hot rod engine (2004). But have a few mid value yet to sell, are ya interested? We have a lot of collectors in this area so they don't have the value that they have in like New York or LA? I noted that you have quite a bike collection & that you're only about 55-60 miles away. Consider coming over & make an offer. She wants them gone, no fixed price. I just posted what I thought the build price was as I'm not sure what they are worth. All offers will be seriously considered. Thanks for the interest, Ole' Bob.

Last edited by VanRAH; 05-01-19 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added word car
Old 05-01-19, 01:00 PM
VanRAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Greetings Guys; I have a more definitive price as the post-thread required a price I originally posted the approximate build price. After my brief time here including PM's & speaking with my deceased friends wife we have arrived at an asking price of $500. But she wants these gone & is open to any offer. Thank you for your interest, Ole' Bob.
Ps: P# Six 0 eight 752-5925 "vanrah@att.net"
Old 05-01-19, 04:57 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
Are those tubulars or clinchers? I ask because of the 520. Too small for me but I have a friend who might be interested (really I'm interested in her acquiring a touring bike).
Old 05-01-19, 08:22 PM
9volt 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'll take the 720. Possibly the others. Thanks Bob.
Old 05-02-19, 02:16 PM
VanRAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pending sale??

Greetings Guys; Ya can never tell the future as this plays out more unusual than usual? Anyway I've spent the last few hours (OK most of the day) sorting out the order of the offers, who responded first. It wasn't easy for my ole' brain, I use pen & paper! So far none of the four are sold, yet! I had 9 replies including Craig's List, got confused with order & right away 3 were out? Two offers were very good, but I'm still waiting for Mr 9Volt as he is planing to come by next week. So the bikes are on hold until he sees them. As he was first to respond. I will NOT tell anyone of you guys what the others offered. If any one of ya want to change your offer please PM me. I will be PMing you guys over the next few days lettings you know your order #. I had hoped to get with the owner for some feed back this week end, but have been informed I'm on next Thursdays priority list, lawyers first! I want to Thank All of You that responded, one or two of ya are going to end up with some neat bikes. Later, Ole' Bob.
Ps: Your order # is important, because if two offers are the same, "Your order #" gets you the bike! And guess what.
Old 05-06-19, 11:31 AM
VanRAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Greetings Everyone; Thank You to Mr 9 Volt, he purchased all three. And Thank You to all who responded & the forum. For helping me find someone that would treat these fine machines with respect, use them for some enjoyment. And if well cared for be passed on to another generation. This past week with Saturday being the pinnacle it will be a memory till the brain gets to hard too function. Take care Ole' Bob.