Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Blue Book.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Blue Book.

Old 09-24-17, 06:37 AM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Prices on some of the bikes listed don't even cover the actual total price of the components alone!
Old 09-24-17, 09:18 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tape2012
I recently had my bike stolen, and that's exactly what they did. They have nothing else to go by to determine the value of a used bicycle.
I'd have gone to some local bike shops and gotten them to write up estimates on replacement valuation. Not a single one of my bikes is even listed in BBB, and one is only a year old, and most are worth more than the <$100 that they would be if they were on the site in accessories alone.

Last edited by jefnvk; 09-24-17 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added replacement to valuation
Old 09-24-17, 09:39 AM
elocs
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This reminds me of a time more than 30 years ago when I took a bunch of my vintage rock albums to sell at the record shop and they said they would give me a buck apiece for them. I told them I'd rather give them away to people I knew would want them.

I paid $800 for my Easy Racer EZ Sport back in 2001 and it still serves me well to this day but BBB shows it only being worth $150. Recently when it was in the shop for a couple of weeks I looked on CL for a backup for it and found a guy nearby who was selling one like mine, same year but different color. He is a collector of recumbents and this one had been sitting around for awhile.
He even brought the bike to my house for me to check it out since I don't have a car and we got to talking. The bike was actually in better shape than mine because it had not been ridden that much.
He had a sticker on it where it looked like he had tried to sell it at a yard sale so I offered him $150 for it and he said, "no, I'll take $130 for it". We talked more and it turned out we knew a lot of different people in common, even one of my best friends growing up. But he said he wanted to see the bike go to somebody he knew would appreciate it and use it. Two days later he even brought over a new Schwalbe front tire for it and a mirror as well.
So he had his bike priced near what BBB had said it was worth even if he didn't know it, but he had priced it on his own.
Old 09-24-17, 09:55 AM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'd have gone to some local bike shops and gotten them to write up estimates on replacement valuation. Not a single one of my bikes is even listed in BBB, and one is only a year old, and most are worth more than the <$100 that they would be if they were on the site in accessories alone.
If your insurance covers replacement cost, your best bet is to keep all your receipts for your bike and accessories. That will set the max figure that insurance will cover to replace. Fortunately I paid for that coverage so my insurance paid out the blue book value immediately and then reimbursed the rest once I replaced the bike. If I had not purchased that coverage, I would have gotten the blue book only.

Don't expect your adjuster to know anything about bikes or to care about accessories unless you have documentation and a thorough police report. Pictures help a lot too.
Old 09-24-17, 10:18 AM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Curious what you have it listed for?
entry crank, old generation mid-level drivetrain, generic brake calipers and cockpit- are you looking for $700?
I could see it selling for $450-550. Sure, it doesnt have many miles, but...
I was thinking $400, but maybe a little more than that if it's absolutely pristine. A Trek 1.5 was never a high end bike to begin with.
Old 09-24-17, 08:22 PM
SimcoeAce

Bikes: 2012 Wilier Triestina Imperiale, 2016 Cannondale Qiuick Speed 2, 1988 Rocky Mountain Fusion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eduDriS
Actually, it does mean something. (no disrespect) The reason bikes are sitting on eBay and CL is because the shoppers are seeing these unreal low "book values" and then turning to the sellers with a unrealistic lowball offer. Both parties get mad and no sale is made.
Not in this case. The bike was $4,000 new in 2012, listed at on EBay at $1,200 which was about $200 less than BBB value (plus free shipping). I'm not sure that I saw another bike listed at significantly less than the BBB value ... so I bought it. It was a bike that seemed to make sense for me anyway, but relative to other valuations in BBB, it seemed like a "good deal". However, it had no other takers at the "Buy It Now" price for a couple of weeks, so in what sense is it really a "good deal"? Either way, personally, I am very happy with my purchase.

I don't understand why low-balling bikes on BBB would help bike stores in any way - it might help them take in used bikes at a lower price, but at the same time it's going to make it harder for them to re-sell at a decent price.

I am also wondering if higher end bikes depreciate more substantially, for the reason that people looking to buy high performance bikes, especially for racing, are more likely to be looking for the "latest thing" rather than an older model.
Old 09-25-17, 04:16 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I use BBB just to get a guidance on the original MSRP. I like to know if that once was a $500 bike or a $5,000 bike. Other than that their values on used bikes are not very useful and neither realistic. They don't take into account components used or frame size or geographical area or rarity... They just seem to use a simple algorithm to calculate the depreciation.
At the end it always depends what someone is willing to pay for the bike. Everyone has different needs. I myself am a tall guy. And I am ok to pay more if I find a bike which fits exactly my personal needs.
Old 09-26-17, 09:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
If your insurance covers replacement cost, your best bet is to keep all your receipts for your bike and accessories. That will set the max figure that insurance will cover to replace. Fortunately I paid for that coverage so my insurance paid out the blue book value immediately and then reimbursed the rest once I replaced the bike. If I had not purchased that coverage, I would have gotten the blue book only.

Don't expect your adjuster to know anything about bikes or to care about accessories unless you have documentation and a thorough police report. Pictures help a lot too.
What insurance company do you use? I just want to know so I never consider switching to them. An insurance company using a totally baseless website to determine replacement value?!? wild.
Old 09-26-17, 10:25 AM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What insurance company do you use? I just want to know so I never consider switching to them. An insurance company using a totally baseless website to determine replacement value?!? wild.
So you really expect that your adjuster, who likely knows nothing about bikes, is going to do a lot of market research to determine the value of your bike? Not going to happen. A statement from your local bike shop estimating value won't carry much weight without data to back it up. Even if the shop had the data they are not going to give it to you.

As I said already, pay for replacement coverage, keep all your receipts, take pics, and fill out the police report thoroughly. Otherwise, it's probably cheaper to write off the bike.

Last edited by Tape2012; 09-26-17 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 10:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

So you really expect that your adjuster, who likely knows nothing about bikes, is going to do a lot of market research to determine the value of your bike? Not going to happen. A statement from your local bike shop estimating value won't carry much weight without data to back it up.

As I said already, pay for replacement coverage, keep all your receipts, take pics, and fill out the police report thoroughly. Otherwise, it's probably cheaper to write off the bike.
I don't expect all that you just listed. That is all just you're assuming based on my comment. What I do expect is for my insurance company to not just Google the bike and then believe a random website. That would be absurd
Old 09-26-17, 10:33 AM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't expect all that you just listed. That is all just you're assuming based on my comment. What I do expect is for my insurance company to not just Google the bike and then believe a random website. That would be absurd
My adjuster knew nothing about bikes but she knew about the BBB site. The only point of negotiation was exactly what year /model my bike was since I bought it used on CL. not sure what else you would expect your adjuster to do.
Old 09-26-17, 10:34 AM
jefnvk

A statement from your local bike shop estimating value won't carry much weight without data to back it up. Even if the shop had the data they are not going to give it to you.
Thing is, you just stated your insurance company took the value from a random website which doesn't use or offer any data to back up its valuations. How is that really any different, other than it coming from some unknown entity who made a website for bicycles that uses naming and styling similar to a respected site for car values?
Old 09-26-17, 11:15 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
IIRC, you once claimed their values were "wildly overvalued". How absurd is that If you are on the receiving end from the insurance company?
Old 09-26-17, 11:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by 02Giant
IIRC, you once claimed their values were "wildly overvalued". How absurd is that If you are on the receiving end from the insurance company?
Perhaps I made that comment with regard to a specific listing. I would say that my view now is the same as it has been, and that is the website is baseless. I have seen some listings that I think are overpriced, sure, but I would say most are undervalued. The website seems to seriously depreciate bikes even though I would not consider them that cheap. This is especially true for older model bicycles where I think the real world places a floor price and Bicycle Blue Book continues to devalue the price past the floor. Hopefully this year explanation clarifies any confusion and further clarifies my position.
Respectfully yours, M State Glfr
Old 09-26-17, 12:25 PM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Thing is, you just stated your insurance company took the value from a random website which doesn't use or offer any data to back up its valuations. How is that really any different, other than it coming from some unknown entity who made a website for bicycles that uses naming and styling similar to a respected site for car values?
Argue that with your insurance company and let us know how that turns out. You can complain all you want about how it doesn't make sense, I just related how it worked out in my situation. Your just attacking the messenger.
Old 09-26-17, 12:30 PM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bicycle blue book site claims that they have a database of thousands of bicycle transactions going back to 1993 and that all of the bicycles in the database have been professionally serviced.

To me that implies they are getting their data from bike shop transactions. But that is only a guess.
Old 09-26-17, 12:42 PM
jefnvk

Argue that with your insurance company and let us know how that turns out. You can complain all you want about how it doesn't make sense, I just related how it worked out in my situation. Your just attacking the messenger.
Last time I dealt with an adjuster (in relation to a car claim), I corrected some of the assumptions they had made about the vehicle, and argued some of their "comparable" valuations. In the end, I got about $500 more out of it than I would have had I just taken their numbers, and I really put no actual effort into getting even that out of them.

I'm glad to hear you got more at a later time, I just feel that corroborates my belief that they would have listened to something other than BBB, had you presented it.
Old 09-26-17, 02:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

So you really expect that your adjuster, who likely knows nothing about bikes, is going to do a lot of market research to determine the value of your bike? Not going to happen. A statement from your local bike shop estimating value won't carry much weight without data to back it up. Even if the shop had the data they are not going to give it to you.

Last time I had to work with an adjuster, it was on a car that was totaled. He was trying to pay out way less than what the car was worth in replacement value.
It was an older year but with incredibly low miles and the comps he pulled and shared were nothing at all like the car that was totaled. As a result, I pushed back with actual real information and examples of comparable vehicles(not same model, but same style vehicle with same general amenities and similar miles. I received thousands more as a result of not arguing, but showing why the comparables were wrong.

BBB doesnt even list comparables. It is useless as it doesnt take into account used pricing for bikes on the extreme ends(which are often seen as cheap because nobody wants them, but are often expensive because inventory is so scarce for those who want them). It doesnt take into account location. It doesnt take into account time of year.
All those things factor greatly in a bike's cost.
Lets not even begin to address the issue of if BBB is to be followed, what happens when a bike isnt listed at all?

I know how much it cost to build up each of my bikes. None are in the BBB database, i am positive. Whats funny is that all would cost more to replace than what BBB values many bikes that are newer and have higher level componentry.
Old 09-26-17, 04:14 PM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last time I had to work with an adjuster, it was on a car that was totaled. He was trying to pay out way less than what the car was worth in replacement value.
It was an older year but with incredibly low miles and the comps he pulled and shared were nothing at all like the car that was totaled. As a result, I pushed back with actual real information and examples of comparable vehicles(not same model, but same style vehicle with same general amenities and similar miles. I received thousands more as a result of not arguing, but showing why the comparables were wrong.

BBB doesnt even list comparables. It is useless as it doesnt take into account used pricing for bikes on the extreme ends(which are often seen as cheap because nobody wants them, but are often expensive because inventory is so scarce for those who want them). It doesnt take into account location. It doesnt take into account time of year.
All those things factor greatly in a bike's cost.
Lets not even begin to address the issue of if BBB is to be followed, what happens when a bike isnt listed at all?

I know how much it cost to build up each of my bikes. None are in the BBB database, i am positive. Whats funny is that all would cost more to replace than what BBB values many bikes that are newer and have higher level componentry.
You take a risk when building your own bikes, just like if you built your own car. You'll want to address that with your insurance beforehand and make sure you have the correct coverage, keep thorough documentation, good pics, and a thorough police report if the bike is destroyed or stolen.

I'm pretty sure that people with highly customized cars rarely get their money back when selling or from insurance unless you insure it for a given amount and pay the required premium.

You can argue that the BBB is useless, I'm just relating what happened in my case. Without the correct coverage I would have been screwed and wouldn't have bothered submitting a claim. But with the correct coverage, I was able to recover $1600 for a bike that I paid $450 on CL. Take it up with your insurance.
Old 01-11-18, 01:33 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Bike Blue Book, unlike Kelly Blue Book, is not based upon market values. Kelly Blue Book has MILLIONS of data points from used car sales, loan values, insured value. There is an industry which is built on the data (banks and insurance) and it is updated daily.

Bike Blue Book has ZERO data points and is basically a genius way of generating traffic to there store. As pointed out above it is just an overly simple formula that has no source of data. They buy low and sell high.

As a used bike market participant, I concur with the above observations that the values in the Bike Bluebook are not the value seen in the marketplace. Its strictly click bait. The owners of the sight could care less if the values are real or not. They want to appear as legitimate as possible to drive internet traffic to there store.

They buy bikes at these low prices and sell them for higher on Ebay. They are making the values up in order to increase there profit!

Last edited by zebede; 01-12-18 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-11-18, 03:33 PM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zebede
Bike Blue Book, unlike Kelly Blue Book, is not based upon market values. Kelly Blue Book has MILLIONS of data points from used car sales, loan values, insured value. There is an industry which is built on the data (banks and insurance) and it is updated daily.

Bike Blue Book has ZERO data points and is basically a genius way of generating clicks so they can make money from ads. As pointed out above it is just an overly simple formula that has no source of data.

As a used bike market participant, I concur with the above observations that the values in the Bike Bluebook are not the value seen in the marketplace. Its strictly click bait. The owners of the sight could care less if the values are real or not. They want to appear as legitimate as possible to keep the clickers coming back.

There is no mechanism for them to receive data from the marketplace, they are making the stuff up!
My understanding is that BBB has relationships with bike shops/stores who report their sales data. Do you have any evidence for your claims?

Also, the auto market is much larger, more fluid and easier to track so you would expect their data to be more accurate.

All I can tell you is that, in my experience, insurance companies use BBB data in making decisions on bike values. You might not agree, but they do.
Old 01-11-18, 04:04 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
My understanding is that BBB has relationships with bike shops/stores who report their sales data. Do you have any evidence for your claims?

Also, the auto market is much larger, more fluid and easier to track so you would expect their data to be more accurate.

All I can tell you is that, in my experience, insurance companies use BBB data in making decisions on bike values. You might not agree, but they do.
The difference to cars is that the LBS only sell a small fraction of the market and have no motivation to report all transactions, or be accurate about those. Just look at this forum how many people report about purchases or sales on CL/ebay or ask advice about CL for sales. I can't recall a single thread about someone asking about an LBS used bike sale.

For cars the government has 100% of the sales recorded (due to titles) and in states with sales tax there also is a huge motivation to enforce honest transaction prices.

Bicycles also have no odometer, while mileage on cars is an important part of the price.

I think the only thing in common between KBB and BBB is that two words match.
Old 01-11-18, 05:30 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The difference to cars is that the LBS only sell a small fraction of the market and have no motivation to report all transactions, or be accurate about those.
Not to mention, with the advent of no-haggle blue book trade in from BBB participating dealers, do they really have an incentive to make sure prices that are more often than not lower than market value are raised?

bicycle trade in program
Old 01-11-18, 07:46 PM
Tape2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
The difference to cars is that the LBS only sell a small fraction of the market and have no motivation to report all transactions, or be accurate about those. Just look at this forum how many people report about purchases or sales on CL/ebay or ask advice about CL for sales. I can't recall a single thread about someone asking about an LBS used bike sale.

For cars the government has 100% of the sales recorded (due to titles) and in states with sales tax there also is a huge motivation to enforce honest transaction prices.

Bicycles also have no odometer, while mileage on cars is an important part of the price.

I think the only thing in common between KBB and BBB is that two words match.
I don't disagree with you on those points. CL is not useful either because you only see what people are asking for their bikes, you have no idea what the final sales price was, other than to assume it was lower than asking. That alone likely explains much of the gap between what people see on CL and BBB.

My only two points were that I don't believe (unless you have evidence) that BBB just pulls numbers out of their arse and that insurance companies DO use BBB to help determine market value. Trust me, an insurance adjuster is not going to spend time cruising CL just because you don't like what BBB is saying.

You could take out a separate rider on your homeowners insurance to guarantee a predetermined payout but that costs money as well and I bet most people don't do it.
Old 01-11-18, 11:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

My only two points were that I don't believe (unless you have evidence) that BBB just pulls numbers out of their arse and that insurance companies DO use BBB to help determine market value. Trust me, an insurance adjuster is not going to spend time cruising CL just because you don't like what BBB is saying.
I would actually laugh if my insurance tried to use bbb. That site isnt some insurance database.
Its no different than if i were to log onto ebay and find the 5 most expensive bikes that are vaguely similar to the one im claiming.

Both have no reason to be in an insurance claim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.