Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Non disc brakes for commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Non disc brakes for commuting?

Old 09-20-18, 11:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
... and the real maintenance free brake, is drum bake hubs.. but they are not trendy.. or Light..
Old 09-20-18, 03:52 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I was recently caught in a rain on my road bike with no fenders and rim brakes. I run Koolstop Salmon and they stopped just fine despite all the water and nasty grit (by the end they were dripping with black stuff and making a nasty grinding noise from all the sand/dirt caught in them). I still prefer disk brakes for outings like that. Try changing your pads first, it's the cheapest thing to try.
Old 09-20-18, 04:19 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Been commuting through all kinds of weather for years and cantons or dual pivots always stop me. Deep snow is the hardest on the brakes but then you have the issue of,traction as well.
Old 09-20-18, 04:34 PM
guidosan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well I don’t have any experience with the magura HS 33s so I can’t make any comments on those. But if it were me, I would give adjusting the canti’s one more time. Have had canti brakes for a long time and my current commuter has them. For me, cantilever brakes had a love/hate relationship. When set-up correctly I really loved how well they worked in all types of conditions. But initially I had a horrible time setting them up correctly. Between the height of the yoke to the pad adjustment from the rim, I struggled to get them dialed in. It just took practice and now no issue. So depending on how much time you want to invest and play around with the set-up you may want to try again or abandon the canti’s and try something new. If you go with the V-brakes, be careful as the pull ration my not work with your current brake levers. You may need to get a travel agent to adjust the cable pull.