Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for tips for transporting laptop

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Looking for tips for transporting laptop

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 09:23 PM
enargins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
I don't mind paying more for coffee if its good. But even then I rarely go out since the hospital where I work has a decent kiosk and cafeteria. We also get 10% off as employees so not much incentive to eat out although a few places on Madison Ave do give the same discount (Subway is one) to try to compete a bit. But I didn't mean to sidetrack this into a why go to Starbucks discussion. If you like it then go for it. You have a home business so you have to support yourself. Ride on.
All of this is VERY interesting! I'm glad you get a 10% discount at places, and that the hospital where you work has a decent kiosk and cafeteria and that Starbucks is too much $$ for what it is to you, but that Le Pain Quowhatever is not too much $$ for what it is, etc. This has been very fascinating!
Old 09-18-18, 09:25 PM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MaddMatt05
The SSD thing is definitely worth looking into. It makes a laptop much more resilient. Personally, I have Timbuk2 panniers, and I just put my 15" laptop in a padded neoprene sleeve, then put that whole thing in the pannier. I don't care my laptop around frequently, but its been fine so far. I DO carry an iPad Pro every day for my 15 mile commute in a pannier though, and before the iPad Pro, a regular iPad. Its just anecdotal, but in a few years carrying them, they've been ok. (This includes a time the panniers slid off the back because I forgot to secure them properly.)
That's good to know. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-18-18, 09:31 PM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
That's why I started using DropBox in the first place.
I've used Dropbox for years, primarily to transfer files to and from clients. But I only have 20GB -- not enough for backing up significantly without paying for more.
However, yesterday I transferred a file to Google Drive, which I never use, because Dropbox had gotten a bad copy of the file and kept reloading the file from cache rather than creating a new version. While in Drive, I was told I have 117GB available! Son of a gun! Where did all that come from? Or is Google just really, really generous with their free storage?
Anyway, point is, now I'm considering using Drive for backups.

I have every MS Office that I've ever made. 1996-forward (Sophomore year of University ... I'm not sure that I can open them any longer.)
Ha! Me too -- though I don't have full Office for all versions. I have Access 2.0 (or 3.5" floppy disks!), from 1996, and then every version of Access and most versions of Office after that. I currently only have Office 2003 forward loaded on my machine, and will probably not even load that on my next machine.
Old 09-19-18, 12:28 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Looking at the far bottom right pic in that ^^^^^^ Ortlieb conversion doc, you could install it as a pannier, and carry a small child on the outside on the backpack straps. I wouldn't let Child Protective Services see it, however...

BiKase brand laptop convertible backpack pannier:

The straps tuck in behind that panel for pannier mode, and the hook tucks behind for backpack mode. You can clip one strap to the other side's ring, and tuck in the other strap, and effectively have a sling bag. There's no stiff panel, so it flops some when used as a pannier. That long vertical zipper is for the is for the laptop compartment. Holds a 15"-er easily, and a large-is lunch cooler and 44-oz water bottle in the main compartment. Coffee travel carafe in the side compartment.

My original Targus beater:

Guts from an old CyclePro pannier, including a stiff panel that all the hardware is bolted/riveted to. This one would probably hold a 17"-er, and other business goodies of course, but no space for a lunch. Shoulder strap on the d-rings. Yes, that's a section of innertube for the bottom hook; I like those for the combination of strength and elasticity.

I also have a Timbuk2 convertible laptop backpack pannier. Pannier hardware is on the side opposite the backpack straps (similar to the Ortlieb conversion above). Overflap flips one way to cover the backpack straps when in pannier mode, and flips the other way to cover the pannier hardwaree when in backpack mode. Good solid retention using a fairly stiff panel, and a big main compartment with a laptop sleeve built in. Nice and big and solid, but I can't recommend it. Overflap is also a flat compartment, but otherwise it's just the one big compartment, no pockets for little bitty things, no little pen straps built in, etc, like you see in business bags. And a bit unwieldy as a backpack; it looks like a black version of the big packs the moon astronauts wore.
Old 09-19-18, 12:30 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by enargins

Ha! Me too -- though I don't have full Office for all versions. I have Access 2.0 (or 3.5" floppy disks!), from 1996, and then every version of Access and most versions of Office after that. I currently only have Office 2003 forward loaded on my machine, and will probably not even load that on my next machine.
I actually mis-typed. I meant every MS office FILE that I have ever made. (I think it was around 20000 files or so).

Also, every email I have ever written from 2004 is in the same gmail account (84549 emails).
Old 09-19-18, 12:54 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I use a pair of Ortlieb Bike Shoppier panniers. My laptop goes into a neoprene sleeve first, though. The panniers are completely weatherproof, and work out quite well.
Old 09-19-18, 07:50 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Looking at the far bottom right pic in that ^^^^^^ Ortlieb conversion doc, you could install it as a pannier, and carry a small child on the outside on the backpack straps. I wouldn't let Child Protective Services see it, however...
That makes for a great visual. : )

Originally Posted by daoswald
I use a pair of Ortlieb Bike Shoppier panniers. My laptop goes into a neoprene sleeve first, though. The panniers are completely weatherproof, and work out quite well.
I have two of those and love them. I use them for camping and on days when rain is called for in the forecast. My laptop conversion bag will fit inside, when necessary.
Old 09-20-18, 04:51 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Some of Apples cloud storage is actually on Google servers.
Old 09-20-18, 09:07 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You need to show the laptop, and/or size/weight, and/or how it fits. I've got a messenger for my honking workstation. Because its flat its uncomfortable and slides off my back. It can literally pull you off course. Needless to say, I don't ride with it often.
Old 09-20-18, 10:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I'm considering using Drive for backups.
I hope you realize that Google Drive and Dropbox are not backup services. If your "live" copy of a file is in one of these places, when you delete or change it, the previous version is gone. You can use the service as backup if you have a procedure to copy from your live folder to the Dropbox or Drive folder.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-20-18, 10:42 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by noglider
I hope you realize that Google Drive and Dropbox are not backup services. If your "live" copy of a file is in one of these places, when you delete or change it, the previous version is gone. You can use the service as backup if you have a procedure to copy from your live folder to the Dropbox or Drive folder.
Dropbox has a packrat service that keeps all iterations saved. That's what I use.
Old 09-20-18, 12:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Dropbox has a packrat service that keeps all iterations saved. That's what I use.
That's a great name for that. Is it your name or theirs? And it only comes with the paid version, I believe.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-21-18, 10:03 AM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Thank you, yes, I know all that. As I said, I've been using Dropbox for years.
Old 09-26-18, 06:29 PM
Chester

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
When I was commuting with a laptop and other stuff, I'd have everything in a bare-bones messenger bag, with the laptop in a neoprene sleeve, and then I'd put the messenger bag into an Ortlieb rolltop pannier and mount that to a rear rack. To get it off my back and for the waterproofedness of the Ortlieb pannier, if it rained. Being in a sleeve, and an intermediate bag, made me unconcerned with bumps/shocks while riding with the laptop in a pannier.

But this was for a 5-6-mile (one-way) commute that I'd make, rain or shine. If you're talking about a shorter ride to a cafe that's also totally discretionary, then I'd just wear the laptop in a backpack or messenger bag.

If you really don't want to wear something on your body and the ride isn't especially rough, and you have your laptop in a thick sleeve and it's totally powered off, then I wouldn't worry about the danger of incidental road chatter.
Old 09-26-18, 06:35 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Discretionary? Where/when was that established?
Old 10-12-18, 09:38 AM
revivalist

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I only run Apple laptops due to the aluminium unibody chassis. All of my current machines have SSD except for my old iMac with an HDD (new iMac is SSD). Oldest unibody MacBook and BlackBook are HDD.

Since 2008, I've done about 2500 commutes and haven't had any problems with a backpack and/or laptop combo. I did just get a few dents in my rMBP 2012 due to being hit by a van, but it's otherwise OK.
I ride with a backpack as well. No issues.
Old 10-12-18, 03:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
one of these?

Old 10-12-18, 03:29 PM
KraneXL

I've always ridden with backpacks and messenger in the past but if I decide to return to commuting I never will again. The last time I tried it with my messenger it was a real hassle. I have a couple of books and a workstation laptop and it was a real chore keeping it cinched. Not only did it cut off my circulation making it very uncomfortable, but it kept displacing my course due to the weight imbalance.

I literally had to twist my torso the entire ride to keep it from pulling me out of the path and into traffic. I will get a pannier next time, and hopefully something with a quick release (there are some great expandable ones with rain covers but they're expensive).

When I worked the night shift at the hotel, I had with my Topeak trunk. I could remove both the trunk and the arm with a simple quick-release. But I had a designated out of the way corner in the garage to keep my bike with no fear of theft.
Old 10-13-18, 07:51 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I have a Knog messenger bag/pannier with a padded spot for a 15" computer. I've been using it for years and never had any problems with either a Lenovo or my current MBP. The biggest problem was that as a pannier it only attached at the top and wasn't secured at the bottom to the rack, so I've used a bungee cord to keep it stable. I just had a thread about looking for something new but upon inspection of a sample of panniers at REI decided that what I have is really what I want. It is by far the cheapest option I've seen too. Knog Franks Dog bag I don't think this listing includes the pannier conversion gear, just the bag.
Old 10-16-18, 06:41 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Old job: 3.5 miles=backpack with laptop sleeve.
New job: 7.5 miles=panniers.
I guess that's my line. Anyway this works really well - I use the industral-strength bubble wrap that the laptop shipped in.

Old 10-16-18, 07:22 AM
KraneXL

I stopped reading once I realized it was a Macbook.
Old 10-16-18, 07:41 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I stopped reading once I realized it was a Macbook.
Why they're better quality and excellent value per £,$,€.

I'll never go back to a non-Mac.
Old 10-16-18, 01:37 PM
KraneXL

It was a joke. ^^
Why they're better quality and excellent value per £,$,€.

I'll never go back to a non-Mac.
Like a lot of Japanese cars when compared to American. That used to be true.
Old 10-16-18, 01:38 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm looking for any ideas people might have about the best way to transport the laptop without damaging it.
Topeak MTX Office Bag:
bikeforums.net/commuting/572127-topeak-mtx-office-bag-rack-trunk.html
amazon.com/TOPEAK-63009812-MTX-Office-Bag/dp/B001T2XVYU

Old 10-17-18, 12:56 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by KraneXL
It was a joke. ^^Like a lot of Japanese cars when compared to American. That used to be true.
We'll I'm rolling on a rMBP that's about to hit 2500 charge cycles. Don't see that with an non-Apple machines.

Also, over here the price differences are quite small (this rMBP was only €800 when I bought it 5 years ago.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.