Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Is there a subjective component to Cat upgrades?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 10:00 AM
Pizza Man
Racing iS my Training

Bikes: 07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am currently a Cat 4, but have 29 upgrade points toward Cat 3. I only needed 20 to upgrade, and it's supposed to be a forced upgrade at 30 points (sandbagger rule).

I tried to pre-register for a race next week as a Cat 3, but the guy won't enter me because I'm still a Cat 4. I told him that I have the necessary points for the upgrade, but am doing one last race as a Cat 4 this weekend, and will request my upgrade to Cat 3 immediately following the race this Saturday. I can't enter Cat 4, because I'll be Cat 3 before the race.

It's like entering a 40+ race when you're 39 but will turn 40 before the race and the guy saying, "Sorry, I can't enter you in this race because you're not 40 yet." Yes, but I will be before the race.

Then I started thinking, maybe that race director knows something I don't know. Maybe, even though I have plenty of points for an upgrade, it will be denied for some reason.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever been denied an upgrade for any reason after they met the point requirements?
Old 04-14-06, 10:43 AM
goodall
draw line at carbon forks

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrades aren't instantaneous. You have to submit to your local upgrade person, and they'll check it and approve it when they get a chance. It can take up to a month, the the upgrade person is real busy. It kind of sucks.
Old 04-14-06, 10:57 AM
Pizza Man
Racing iS my Training

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goodall
Upgrades aren't instantaneous. You have to submit to your local upgrade person, and they'll check it and approve it when they get a chance. It can take up to a month, the the upgrade person is real busy. It kind of sucks.
I hope it doesn't take that long, I think our guy in this region is pretty quick. I got my Cat 5 to Cat 4 upgrade within a couple hours of my request, and that was on a Saturday night.

I would have sent it earlier, but thought that if the upgrade was approved immediately, then I wouldn't be allowed to race in the 4/5 race tomorrow.

I don't really care which race I'm, in, I just want to be sure I can race, and if I send my entry early enough, I should be allowed to race.
Old 04-14-06, 11:36 AM
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car

Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizza Man

It's like entering a 40+ race when you're 39 but will turn 40 before the race and the guy saying, "Sorry, I can't enter you in this race because you're not 40 yet." Yes, but I will be before the race.
I'll be the jerk to point out that that couldn't happen because the USCF recognizes your age as what you will turn this year. Like...although my real age is 24, the USCF recognized me as being 25 as of January 1st.
Old 04-14-06, 12:02 PM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about submitting your upgrade request to Casey K. right after the race on saturday, and tell him about the thing next week...that you were hoping to race as a 3 there? That might get him to move a bit faster on your upgrade situation.

I wish I had that problem!
Old 04-14-06, 12:31 PM
Pizza Man
Racing iS my Training

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
What about submitting your upgrade request to Casey K. right after the race on saturday, and tell him about the thing next week...that you were hoping to race as a 3 there? That might get him to move a bit faster on your upgrade situation.

I wish I had that problem!
That's the plan.
Casey was copied on my correspondence, with the RD, so he is aware of the situation.
He is usually quick to respond, so I don't anticipate there being a problem.

I just think it's silly that the RD wouldn't enter me, since they always check our licenses when we pick up our numbers. I didn't know that race directors bothered to verify racer's catagory as they entered them.

I was thinking of sending the request earlier, but if it was approved immediately, would I not be allowed to ride in the 4/5 race tomorrow?

Anyway, are you sill racing tomorrow?
Old 04-14-06, 12:52 PM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizza Man
That's the plan.
Casey was copied on my correspondence, with the RD, so he is aware of the situation.
He is usually quick to respond, so I don't anticipate there being a problem.

I just think it's silly that the RD wouldn't enter me, since they always check our licenses when we pick up our numbers. I didn't know that race directors bothered to verify racer's catagory as they entered them.

I was thinking of sending the request earlier, but if it was approved immediately, would I not be allowed to ride in the 4/5 race tomorrow?

Anyway, are you sill racing tomorrow?

I guess it is silly, but maybe they stick to these rules because it makes it less work for them. Not like it is much work to verify what someone says...but sometimes people go to great lengths to save every microsecond of work, like weight weenies trying to save grams.

Are you talking about Copperopolis?
I'm 50/50 on doing it. I raced last night at Infineon. It was the circuit race from you-know-where. A lot of fun, but even the 2's were complaining that it was a tough course. I recovered from this week's circuit race much better than last weeks, so I could stil potentially race tomorrow. however, if I do, it will probably be a hard training day and not one where I'd try for a placing.
Old 04-14-06, 12:54 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I understand 'points is points' once you get them you can upgrade.
Old 04-14-06, 01:06 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I was upgraded on the day of a race because I knew the promoter and he knew me and of my past racing experience and sucess. So I just filled out a quick resume and gave it to him the morning of the race and that was that. He gave me a little sticker to put on the license till I got a new one in the mail which did take about 6 weeks. So it probably depends on your rep. and promoters but I would try and ask them and have your resume.