Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your Beater Bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 08:46 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts

The lowly beater bike doesn't get its due. Sure it's not the fastest, prettiest, most comfortable or even the most reliable ride in the stable. But who do you reach for when skies are gray? When you want to lock up your bike on the street (gasp!) and not have to install a security camera to watch it while you get a cup of joe? When you just want to get from point A to point B without any pomp or circumstance? You know who…

Herein we want to see your beater bikes from the cream of the crop to the bottom of the barrel. Furthermore, I myself am also interested in learning more about what exactly folks consider a beater to be because 1) I'm in need of one and 2) I already have pre-traumatic stress about the possibility of ruining a "classic" bike by using it as beater.

So, show us what you ride when you're having more than one. Err, or something like that…

(Disclaimer: I don't think this is an exact double of an existing C&V thread, but if it is, well… maybe it's a good opportunity to post those old pics again?)
Old 11-15-13, 09:11 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My mid seventies Pug AO8... figure I will throw some cross tyres on her for winter and save the handbuilt wheels.

Old 11-15-13, 09:20 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
That's your BEATER BIKE! That's way too nice! Of course your other bikes are gorgeous, so maybe this is the beater.
Here is mine, you can park this anywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P2161266.jpg (102.8 KB, 1241 views)
Old 11-15-13, 09:31 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Switched a few items out on my Miyata since this pic.

New saddle, a beat up Regal.

A Dirt Drop stem.

...and Rustoleum silver sprayed racks front and rear.

I also just picked up Maxxis Larsen tt tires from CL of all places.

This pic will give you the basic idea.

Bring on the snow.

Old 11-15-13, 09:43 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thats the current beater. Though when the ice is down I intend to ride this...

With studded tires. She isn't a beater but still my favorite
Attached Images
IMG443.jpg (98.4 KB, 1153 views)
IMG432.jpg (98.5 KB, 1140 views)
Old 11-15-13, 09:43 PM
boattail71
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=jethin;16250767]The lowly beater bike doesn't get its due. Sure it's not the fastest, prettiest, most comfortable or even the most reliable ride in the stable. But who do you reach for when skies are gray? When you want to lock up your bike on the street (gasp!) and not have to install a security camera to watch it while you get a cup of joe? When you just want to get from point A to point B without any pomp or circumstance? You know who…
QUOTE]

Good prompt, jet. Beaters, which one do I start with? This is my dog. My first beater I bought for $8 the summer before college as my campus commuter/bar bike. It now has more miles on it than some of my road bikes over the decades - more rides without question. Many overhauls, parts and accessory changes over the years - shown now as my "truck." Lock it? It's not worth anything but I'd be sick if gone. And it's a 60's Roadmaster! - the thing rides real nice even when loaded.

After sparring with a coworker one day he fired back "ya, but you ride a bike with a basket!" Touche!

What do you have jet?
Attached Images
Roadmaster.jpg (97.6 KB, 1180 views)
Old 11-15-13, 09:45 PM
boattail71
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where do you get those panniers? Love it!
Old 11-15-13, 09:57 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by Vefer
That's your BEATER BIKE! That's way too nice! Of course your other bikes are gorgeous, so maybe this is the beater.
One heck of an ice fishing bicycle you have there.
Old 11-15-13, 10:07 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I'd say that "beater bikes" are functional machines that the owner can use without being particularly upset if the bike is damaged, abused beyond repair, or stolen. I've got three at the moment:

1. My everyday commuter for the past three years, a mystery Peugeot (or Gitane? Motobecane?) that I bought as a powdercoated frame, I use STI levers on inverted North Road bars. I love the geometry, but not the frame - good thing, because this bikes days are numbered - the threading on the headset is stripped in such a way that the headset can't be opened for service (it's French anyways), the poorly done powdercoating has cracked and there's some rust, and it has quite a few peculiarities I've had to learn to live with. When it's done, I will find another frame with similar geometry and build another commuter just like this one.

2. This Giant Prodigy, a cheap mountain bike that's on the heavy side. This was the bike I saved for the worst days of snow, ice, and slush the past few years (but more often I went out skating on the bike above - icy hills CAN be ridden on 700x23 slicks, even if it's not a great idea. Right now it's set up as a cruiser with the bars turned back up the way they were meant to be, soon I'm going to give it to a guy I know who wants a beater of his own or sell it for cheap because I have...

3. This past Autumn I built this '83 Stumpy to be my new ice bike option, it's a lot faster for me, and more fun to ride than the Giant ever was when it's nice out. No snow here yet, so I'm not sure how it's going to handle on ice
Old 11-15-13, 10:08 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
This is a zero-cost beater consisting of a 92 Specialized Hardrock Cruz that's been put on a diet, and converted to a dropbar (sub)urban gorilla.
It rides quite well, made from Tange Cr-Mb MTB tubing, and has horizontal dropouts. I did some dirt and gravel trail riding and trips on tarmac. It will be replaced after discovering it's a tad small for gravel grinding. It may stay a bit longer as a single speed grocery getter.

For a traditional road bike, it'll have to be my 88 Benotto Triathlon presently shouldering that duty.

Last edited by WNG; 11-15-13 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 10:25 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
They are cat litter pails, Tidy Cat! 35lbs size. add a couple of hooks on the sides, as small bungee cord at the bottom and they will hook onto almost any rack. Oh yeah, They REALLY are 100% waterproof, the lids snap on like Tupperware, never ever leak. perfect for the farmers market, shopping runs, I've put almost everything in there.
Attached Images
P2161267.jpg (101.9 KB, 1111 views)
P2161265.jpg (102.2 KB, 1121 views)
Old 11-15-13, 10:29 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Here's my early 80's BCA mountain bike. The paint is chipped in a lot of places, so it's not the prettiest bike. I threw some moustache bars and stem shifters on it which a lot of people don't like, but work great. Add some crappy plastic pedals, and you have a functional machine that most won't give a second look.
Old 11-16-13, 12:25 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
My 1977 Motobecane Mirage would be really the closest thing to a beater that I've got that's actually a finished bike. Converted from 27" to 700c, and outfitted with leftover bits from a couple of other projects.

This photo doesn't really do justice to just how beat up the paint job really is...

Attached Images
IMG_0748.jpg (100.2 KB, 1106 views)
Old 11-16-13, 01:02 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
The AO8 is even lowlier than a UO8, although it does have a very nice ride and it is less than 28 pounds as a fixed gear with fenders and rack. If I build a custom integrated rack for it then it might move up the order a little.

I just bought a nearly mint BRC Ricochet hybrid (late eighties) that I plan to beat up this winter when we get those wetter and warmer days or when I don't really need studded tyres... it cost about as much as a night out on the town and is actually a pretty decent bike that rides well and handles really well.

Old 11-16-13, 03:27 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
I'd say that "beater bikes" are functional machines that the owner can use without being particularly upset if the bike is damaged, abused beyond repair, or stolen.
I share that philosophy; also with "beater cars".

Here are my two beaters. I bought the Miyata 312 (now technically a 318) specifically to ship to Switzerland for my stay here, as I was loath to tear down one of my existing bikes for shipment. Both are in excellent mechanical condition, but not at all eye-catching, and equipped with low-to-middle rung Shimano and other Japanese kit, nothing to write home about. The Univega is a Viva Touring.

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
it cost about as much as a night out on the town...
Ahem, that phrase is quite pregnant...
Old 11-16-13, 04:14 AM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I'd steal that bike.
Old 11-16-13, 05:46 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Columbus Max with Campy 9 speed but picked up for a 'song'. Nice to ride in any weather.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 06-10-18 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 05:56 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Columbus Max with Campy 9 speed but picked up for a 'song'. Nice to ride in any weather.

Very nice!

I keep looking for a bargain priced Max framed bike.

No surprise to me that I haven't found one.
Old 11-16-13, 07:12 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Hi Gomango,

I was very lucky with this one. MAX is nice stuff. It's got a few dents but looks good from a distance. I must admit that I lock it up if I leave it for any length of time - perhaps that eliminates it from this thread.

I can understand why you want one so I hope you come across a good one at the right price.
Old 11-16-13, 07:30 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I can't help but believe that some people define "beater" differently than I do. My beater, a badly dented once stolen and miserably mismatced group Specialized, that is fast, agile and pretty darn comfortable to ride. I would not like loosing the bike to a thief, but "c'est la vie", if it happens. I would, however, feel bad about loosing the pedal set fitted to the Junker II. I still have the Junker II and it is still the workhorse in my dwindling stable...

For those who are interested, this old Peugeot Super Sport, quickly converted to a Poor Man's Single Speed was my bad weather bicycle for years. Pump up the tires and a bit of ProLink on the drive chain was, pretty much, total annual maintenance for the bicycle. It never let me down, attrackted almost no attention and was OK to ride for short, around town errand running hops...

Old 11-16-13, 07:55 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by jethin
But who do you reach for when skies are gray? ...
(Disclaimer: I don't think this is an exact double of an existing C&V thread, but if it is, well… maybe it's a good opportunity to post those old pics again?)
There ain't no subject that isn't already doubled or tripled or quadrupled or pentupled here in BF!

I'm with 65er. When skies are gray I reach for this, an upgraded early 70's UO-8:
Old 11-16-13, 08:21 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I can't help but believe that some people define "beater" differently than I do. My beater, a badly dented once stolen and miserably mismatced group Specialized, that is fast, agile and pretty darn comfortable to ride. I would not like loosing the bike to a thief, but "c'est la vie", if it happens. I would, however, feel bad about loosing the pedal set fitted to the Junker II. I still have the Junker II and it is still the workhorse in my dwindling stable...

For those who are interested, this old Peugeot Super Sport, quickly converted to a Poor Man's Single Speed was my bad weather bicycle for years. Pump up the tires and a bit of ProLink on the drive chain was, pretty much, total annual maintenance for the bicycle. It never let me down, attrackted almost no attention and was OK to ride for short, around town errand running hops...
Cool bike; actually lots and lots of cool bikes on this thread. My last real beater bike looked like a beater (an old beat up peugeot uo-8) and got ripped off. I like the high zoot and the low zoot beaters. A lot obviously depends on where you live and your uses for it. To be a beater=a utility bike and we all define this differently. I'm excited about a "new" beater I'm in the process of building up and which I'll get to commute on this winter. Now there is even have a thread on which I can post some pics when it is done, .

I keep my eye out on CL for bikes that might make a good beater. It's fun keeping a project beater or two sitting around. You never know when you might just need to build one up.

Last edited by bikemig; 11-16-13 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 11:14 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 160 Posts
Some really interesting bikes and good ideas in this thread! I dig those inventive bucket panniers, and am surprised to see so many mustache-style bars (I've never tried 'em, maybe I'm missing out on something?)

Originally Posted by boattail71
What do you have jet?
Thanks for asking boattail, and neat old Roadmaster and dog! I agree with lasauge that beaters are first and foremost functional machines, be they handsome or plain jane. I didn't want this thread to turn into "show us your crappiest bikes", which is one reason I didn't post my last beater here, because I'm pretty sure it will take home the "Beatest Beater" trophy. Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce what I used to call "The World's Most Dangerous Bike."

I found this orphan abandoned and wandering the streets so I adopted it and made it my neighborhoodie. I'm not proud of the fact that I rode and neglected it for years, eventually not even bothering to fix its front brake cable or pedal after they broke. But somehow it always got me where I needed to go and was always waiting patiently behind for me, even if I'd only locked it with some loose twine.

What was the end for TWMDB? I'm ashamed to admit it was a simple flat tire. I said goodbye to my old flat-footed friend and left it out with the recycling. Low and behold it had vanished by day break the next morning! Who knows, maybe it's still out there creakily coasting around somewhere.

Last edited by jethin; 01-10-21 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 12:44 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
Here's mine -- 1970 Peugeot UO-8, which I bought for my new bride as a leftover bare frame when I was working my way through grad school at Bikecology, a Peugeot/Nishiki dealership. I originally built it up for her with a TA Professional crankset, upright UO-18 bars, and Schwinn stem shifters. I customized the gearing for her to use in the hills of west Los Angeles: 52-42 / 16-18-21-24-32, with a SunTour VGT rear derailleur. When she lost interest in road biking and had me build her a mountain bike, I converted the Peugeot into my commuter/beater, with drop bars, barcons, half-step gearing, and my trusty old cylindrical Bellwether handlebar bag. I kept the handy Pletscher mousetrap, which I still think is the best rear rack ever developed. Forty years later -- same wife, same bike.

I am showing a lot of seatpost because it is a 21" / 53.5cm C-T frame, and my ideal size is 55. However, that top tube is long, so it all works out pretty well. I often have to explain the 45-42 / 13-26 12-speed half-step gearing system to people not well versed in the classics. I am also happy to have found a modern Blackburn pump which mounts nicely on the Peugeot's pump pegs. The only thing I am missing is a water bottle, but son #1 gave me a (bright yellow -- thank you !) Camelback for Fathers' Day a couple of years ago.
Attached Images
Optimized-2009-06-13.jpg (97.4 KB, 559 views)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 11-16-13 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-16-13, 01:54 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
This is a 1988 Schiwnn Prelude that I got at a garage sale for $20. It came with no set (it had a seat tube), no handlebars/brake levers, no pedals, rotted tires. I changed out the stem (original was a 26mm clamp) for a cheap NB version (25.4 mm clamp), and got th rest of the parts from my stash of bike stuff. Rides great. It now sports another brake cable, a rear rack, and I removed the DT shifters for a thumbie on the riser bars (yes, I saved the DT shifters).

I also have a 1977 Schwinn LeTour, but spent a few $$$ on it so I don't think of it as a 'beater bike.'
Attached Images
IMG_0466C.jpg (93.3 KB, 1099 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.