Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Your 2015 Touring Plans? Brief tours, longer tours, all lengths, all destinations.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Your 2015 Touring Plans? Brief tours, longer tours, all lengths, all destinations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-15, 12:02 AM
grampa.sjb

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Surly Disc Trucker, Santa Cruz Blur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at first tour, riding down California's Central Coast, from Monterrey to Moro Bay. Going with a good friend, maybe sagged by wives.
Old 01-02-15, 01:00 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
this year's spring festival break is almost 7 weeks. need to get out of
china to avoid the transport crush (1.3 billion humans traveling all at
once!).

will be flying to bangkok for a 5-week tour. will cut across the ephalant
reserve, skirt cambodia, and then around to laos. will spend a few weeks
in the hinterlands, dirt roads and jungle trails, no cell phone or intertubes,
then on to vientiane. from there train back to bangkok and return flight.
Old 01-02-15, 06:08 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Thanks, got a little bit of homework still to to like where to park the car safely for 4 or 5 days. Also going to incorporate geocaching into the ride as there are 100's along these trails to find.
I live about 40 miles from the trailhead in Atlanta. If you take your bike on the marta train the ride goes down to about 10 miles. I don't have a place you could park right now but in a month I'm moving (about one mile) to a house where I'll have plenty of parking space. If that works for you then PM me and we can arrange something.
Old 01-02-15, 06:24 AM
philso
vintage tourer

Bikes: '72 bianchi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
...relocating ... buying one home, selling another, and dealing with 35 years of accumulated stuff ...
just going through the same. i really feel for you
Old 01-02-15, 06:40 AM
philso
vintage tourer

Bikes: '72 bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after 25 or so years here in japan, i'm planning to sell my property and move back to the states. depending on how things work out, i'm considering flying to the west coast and riding my old '72 bianchi to the east coast.
Old 01-02-15, 07:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by philso
after 25 or so years here in japan, i'm planning to sell my property and move back to the states. depending on how things work out, i'm considering flying to the west coast and riding my old '72 bianchi to the east coast.
Riding across the US can be a great ride. Do you know what general route you will be taking? Or is your destination still up in the air.
Old 01-02-15, 10:39 AM
reed523

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sons and I are planning to spend a month riding in Western Europe, roughly northern Italy to Holland (in a sort of lightening strike shaped route). This will be my first time touring Europe and their first tour period although they've both spent a lot of time over there. We are just about ready to purchase plane tickets. Can't wait
Old 01-02-15, 02:40 PM
Louis Le Tour

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
That's one of the better reasons to travel through Canada that I've read. It's a lovely country. We can leave the politics for a different forum and stick to touring plans.
It's not about politics, it's about one's ability to survive an animal attack.
Old 01-02-15, 04:34 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour
It's not about politics, it's about one's ability to survive an animal attack.
If you don't want to travel through Canada because you can't carry a weapon, that's cool.

But that's not really what the thread is about and firearms is a topic that will get even more disagreement than whether to use panniers or a bob trailer; why (some) racers don't wave back; or whether carbon or steel is better. We have lots of great things to disagree about that actually involve bicycles.
Old 01-02-15, 06:49 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by dellwilson
My 2013 Tour ended in NOLA, so I'm thinking to do the Natchez Trace, but starting out in NOLA.
That should be a great ride; I rode the Trace in November from North to South but stopped in Natchez. Some folks I met along the way continued on to Baton Rouge and NOLA, but crossed the river at Natchez to take the much less traveled road on the west side. I can state for sure the hiway on the east side, going south from Natchez is not bicycle friendly.
Old 01-02-15, 06:58 PM
dellwilson

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Some folks I met along the way continued on to Baton Rouge and NOLA, but crossed the river at Natchez to take the much less traveled road on the west side.
Highway 15 on the west side of the river?

I can state for sure the hiway on the east side, going south from Natchez is not bicycle friendly.
I guess this is referring to Highway 61 heading south from Natchez?
Old 01-02-15, 07:20 PM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I'm planning on riding The Pacific Coast route from San Francisco to Los Angeles as a charity ride to raise awareness for fire fighter cancer. I did it last year and it was an amazing experience riding with some amazing people. I just need to raise the funds!
Old 01-02-15, 07:58 PM
carfart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This spring I'm headed from the USA for Hamburg, Germany by ship and from there to whatever WWOOF farm will have me for a bit. I'll tour Europe's pedestrian and rural bike trails for as long as my visa allows. With any luck I'll find a good place to emigrate.
Old 01-02-15, 08:11 PM
Aerohip

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Taking June and July off from work. Touring Beautiful British Columbia! Starting in Banff and doing the Icefields to Jasper, through Northern BC to the Island to Victoria, across the lower Mainland. Cannot wait!
Old 01-02-15, 08:56 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by dellwilson
Highway 15 on the west side of the river?
I guess this is referring to Highway 61 heading south from Natchez?
Yes, the hiway on the west side is #15 going north until about 10-12 miles south of Vidalia (directly across the river from Natchez), where you need to continue on 131 to stay close to the river until you turn right (east) on 84 to go across the bridge to Natchez. I didn't go there, and people I spoke with said there was not much of anything on the west side of the river. I surmised this would make it more bicycle friendly than 61 south from Natchez, and so did two bicyclists I had met who took this route south. Another friend rode with me in a rental car down 61 south 2/3 of the way to Baton Rouge, and I let him out with his bike at some cross road he picked to continue cycling. He later reported the rest of the ride to BR and NOLA was highly industrial and not very fun.
Old 01-02-15, 09:48 PM
dellwilson

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Yes, the hiway on the west side is #15 going north until about 10-12 miles south of Vidalia (directly across the river from Natchez), where you need to continue on 131 to stay close to the river until you turn right (east) on 84 to go across the bridge to Natchez. I didn't go there, and people I spoke with said there was not much of anything on the west side of the river. I surmised this would make it more bicycle friendly than 61 south from Natchez, and so did two bicyclists I had met who took this route south. Another friend rode with me in a rental car down 61 south 2/3 of the way to Baton Rouge, and I let him out with his bike at some cross road he picked to continue cycling. He later reported the rest of the ride to BR and NOLA was highly industrial and not very fun.
thank you very much for the advice. I'll certainly follow it.
Old 01-03-15, 06:52 AM
2travelers

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 3.5,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put the finishing touches on plans for a six day CC tour in July from our house to make a loop in Wisconsin ~ Appleton to Manitowoc, Sheboygan, Plymouth, Chilton & back home to Appleton area. About 127 miles. Short 20 - 30 mile days for my wife and I.
Woke up this morning to snow so half the fun is in the planning...the trainer gets a little boring after awhile.
Old 01-03-15, 07:14 AM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
I'm still deciding on what my summer solo tour will be -- most likely at this point is a ride from Boston to Bar Harbor.

In March, I'll be going to the island of Lanzarote (one of the Canary Islands) for a friend's destination birthday party. I have a feeling I'll be renting a bike there for at least a few days.
Old 01-03-15, 08:50 AM
ScruffyChimp

Bikes: Fuji Sunfire 1995, modified for touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping this will be a big touring year for me. I'm currently in Asia, but in March I fly back to the UK to collect my touring gear and set off towards Istanbul.

James
Old 01-03-15, 08:05 PM
hartlean

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora; 2013 Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In mid-April I’m looking at another tour from Buffalo, NY to Wilmington, NC. I’ve been spending the winters in Buf to care for my mother (thru the lake effect snowstorms), but my real home is in Wilm.

The trickiest part for me might be getting getting enough time in the saddle for the ride when the snow is everywhere in NY. The weather the last few years has been really erratic, due, say the climate scientists, to global warming. But everything should be OK--if maybe a little painful--as long as I don’t get stuck somewhere on the “big ride” due to ice.

Then, in Oct or Nov, I hope to ride back to Buf for the winter. That trip is much easier because training thru the summer & fall is much more feasible. Especially since, while in Wilmington, to minimize my CO2 emissions, I bike commute almost daily.
Old 01-03-15, 08:32 PM
mobilemail

Bikes: You mean this week?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I have a whole list of overnight or short tour rides that I would like to do if I can make the time. They range from (mostly) overnight or 2-night trips, either camping or hotel, to week long adventures. They will likely be solo, but if you're in the area...
62016 to Beaver Dam state park (overnight camping)
62016 to St. Charles MO (hotel)
62016 multiday to Siloam Springs State Park (mixed camp/hotel, TBD)
National Road from IL-MO border to Terre Haute, end ride there
Route 66 from IL-MO border to Chicago, train back
And I wouldn't mind doing one of the rides across Indiana, like RAIN.
Ask me in a year how many of these I actually got to do. :-)
Old 01-03-15, 09:14 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I'd like to start touring this year. In order to train, I would like to start commuting to work three days a week and ride my normal rides three of the other four days of the week.

I'd like to do a couple of there and back tours to get my feet wet. There are two state parks, one 17 miles north of me and one about 20 miles south of me. So I'd like to do at least one of those with camping for the night. Then two actual tours I'd like to do are 1. a three day tour of me crossing south Florida from the west coast to the east coast during the week of Independence Day and 2. cycling from my house to my summer conference in Orlando during late July/early August. That should be a two day commute/tour. If my wife isn't going to meet me at my conference, then I'm not going to cycle commute there. I don't have the time to cycle home. My other concern about the conference trip are all the things I've heard about how unfriendly Orlando is to cycling.
Old 01-04-15, 01:20 PM
woodysroad

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Touring, '93 Diamondback Outlook, '94 Diamondback Outlook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning to follow the Mississippi River Trail from Itasca State Park in MN to Venice, LA starting June 9 and ending somewhere around July 15. I plan to take the MN, WI, IL, MO, AR, MS, LA route. In 2013 I chanced upon it in MS and followed it a couple of days, have wanted to pedal the entire trail since that time. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-04-15, 01:27 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by woodysroad
I am planning to follow the Mississippi River Trail from Itasca State Park in MN to Venice, LA starting June 9 and ending somewhere around July 15. I plan to take the MN, WI, IL, MO, AR, MS, LA route. In 2013 I chanced upon it in MS and followed it a couple of days, have wanted to pedal the entire trail since that time. I'm looking forward to it.
That sounds like a great trip. It's fun walking (or hopping) over the Mississippi river in Itasca State park.
Old 01-04-15, 01:32 PM
woodysroad

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Touring, '93 Diamondback Outlook, '94 Diamondback Outlook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode from Boardman to The Dalles, OR. It was ok for an interstate, had no problems. If you have never been on Historic 30 from Troutdale (Portland) to The Dalles, I would suggest riding it. That is a wonderful ride. In The Dalles you can pick up I-84 again. This was in reply to an earlier question about I-84 and a trip from Seattle to Miami. I forgot to include the first quote.

Last edited by woodysroad; 01-04-15 at 01:38 PM. Reason: forgot to cite earlier quote/question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.