Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Klein - cracked derailleur hanger - warranty? repair?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 08:51 AM
tigerdog

Bikes: Klein Reve X 2006, 1997 Klein Mantra Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a '98 Klein Mantra comp MTB; the derailleur hanger is bent, stripped and cracked at the bottom. Rest of the dropout, though, is straight. LBS said it could not be repaired because of the crack but offered to sell me a New Old Stock Mantra frame.

Before dropping that kind of change, does anyone have a thought to whether I could either a) straighten the hanger and use a derailleur saver insert or b) cut off the old hanger and file/mill/shape the end for a replaceable hanger? If b) can anyone suggest a suitable hanger (big selection here)?

At one time, Klein frames were guaranteed for life. Does Trek still honor this?

Advice desperately sought.
Old 11-26-11, 09:29 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tigerdog
At one time, Klein frames were guaranteed for life. Does Trek still honor this?
Have you tried contacting your local Trek dealer / Trek in WI about this? they will be able to give a better answer than any forum.
Old 11-26-11, 10:02 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 615 Posts
Picture of the damage ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-26-11, 10:07 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Trek does warranty their (and their captive brands) frames for life for the original purchaser but i don't know if this will cover "accidental" damage. I agree with jimc101 that contacting Trek is the first thing to do.

I don't think there is any safe way to modify the dropout to use a replacable hanger so straightening the damaged hanger and using an insert is your best approach if you want to salvage the frame.
Old 11-26-11, 10:50 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5797 Post(s)
Liked 2,615 Times in 1,452 Posts
I doubt that it's a warranty issue, as crash damage and things like stripped threads fall into the users responsibilities. However they may have a low cost repair or replacement option to offer you. So start there.

The stripping issue is easy to fix. Likewise, if it's only slightly bent, it can be straightened, but this is a matter of degree and also depends on how much and how often it's been done before.

The crack is more complex, but depending on location and extent might be repairable.

In most major cities is a shop whose mechanic is known for his ability to do impossible repairs. Ask around locally and see the right guy for advice on your options.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-26-11, 11:09 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
If the rest of the dropout is solid the frame could probably be sold to someone (like me, hint hint) who would like to use it for single speed use.

I'd like to see pictures too.
Old 11-26-11, 11:14 AM
tigerdog

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm headed to friendly local Trek shoppe today but because their warranty excludes damage due to abuse/neglect, I'm sure they'll say a bent / cracked hanger has been abused and leave me hanging but hoping against hope someone here has had a positive experience from which I can learn and/or take heart. Really, though, I'm looking for repair options.
Old 11-26-11, 01:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Depending on the dropout, you may be able to saw off the damaged hanger and use a claw to mount a derailleur:

Old 11-26-11, 05:08 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Depending on the dropout, you may be able to saw off the damaged hanger and use a claw to mount a derailleur:

I'm not familiar with that exact frame but I bet it has vertical dropouts and a claw adapter won't work. Or, like some of the Kleins had, rear entry dropouts which are equally unsuitable.
Old 11-26-11, 08:44 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm not familiar with that exact frame but I bet it has vertical dropouts and a claw adapter won't work. Or, like some of the Kleins had, rear entry dropouts which are equally unsuitable.
As long as there is some flat surface around the axle on the outside of the dropout then a claw hanger can likely be used... not properly, but still used.

Another option would be to saw off the old hanger and have someone weld a new hanger on. On any other part of the bike I would not reccomend welding an alumnimu frame but this is not a bike deal on a derailleur hanger.
Old 11-28-11, 05:36 PM
tigerdog

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Photo of cracked hanger and possible solution

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Picture of the damage ?
Here's a photo of the dropout / hanger. The crack is at about the 10 o'clock position.
You are correct - rear facing dropouts. But I'm hoping the removable hanger might do the trick. Sure seems to me the dropout could be cut off and with a little bit of dremel shaping, drilling and tapping one hole, a Wheels Manufacturing Dropout-40 hanger would bolt right up.

Thoughts? Please discuss.

Last edited by tigerdog; 11-28-11 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-28-11, 05:56 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 762 Posts
can't see the photos?
Old 11-28-11, 06:00 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Can'r see the pics....are you posting them up from a host site correctly?

Chombi
Old 11-28-11, 06:55 PM
tigerdog

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
can't see the photos?
Originally Posted by Chombi
Can'r see the pics....are you posting them up from a host site correctly?
URLs updated. Try refreshing and hopefully you'll see them.
Old 11-28-11, 07:03 PM
HillRider

From the picture the dropout hanger doesn't seem to be too bad. If you can align it reasonably well, I'd try a dropout saver threaded insert first. They are reasonably cheap and should work.
Old 11-28-11, 07:07 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 2,059 Posts
Try the Trek dealer. My buddy recently had a similiar problem on a '02 LeMond. Trek gave him a new frame. Not the same model or year but an upgrade Ti/carbon. He did have his original receipt and went to 2 dealers until he found one who was much more helpful.
Old 11-28-11, 08:45 PM
tigerdog

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From the picture the dropout hanger doesn't seem to be too bad. If you can align it reasonably well, I'd try a dropout saver threaded insert first. They are reasonably cheap and should work.
My concern was the crack. The hanger was easily realigned; I clamped the dropout with a very large c-clamp and torqued it until the clamp's threaded rod aligned nicely to a 24" socket wrench extension laid across the dropouts themselves. My concern is the crack: how much stress is the hanger under during shifting? Will the crack's added flex allow the dropout saver to wiggle around too much? I don't want to eat another derailleur or damage the wheel.
Old 11-28-11, 08:55 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Looks like another crack around 3:00 - 3:30.

If you could find a donor frame somehow, you could do a partial dropout transplant. I did one on an old Cannondale with a broken hanger.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 11-28-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-28-11, 09:12 PM
tigerdog

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll strip the rest of the paint off the hanger when I get back home from a business trip later this week. If it's cracked or just cracking at 3:00, then I'll have to cut it off and try to retrofit the hanger-40. Time to practice my Dremel skilz.
Old 11-28-11, 09:34 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by tigerdog
My concern was the crack. The hanger was easily realigned; I clamped the dropout with a very large c-clamp and torqued it until the clamp's threaded rod aligned nicely to a 24" socket wrench extension laid across the dropouts themselves. My concern is the crack: how much stress is the hanger under during shifting? Will the crack's added flex allow the dropout saver to wiggle around too much? I don't want to eat another derailleur or damage the wheel.
The hanger sees very little stress unless you smack it against something hard. Shifting normally puts very little load on it. Also, most of the hanger savers I've seen have a significant flange on the inner side which would act like a reenforcing washer and should stabilize the crack. Some super glue forced into the crack would also help.
Old 11-28-11, 11:16 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
The hanger sees very little stress unless you smack it against something hard. Shifting normally puts very little load on it. Also, most of the hanger savers I've seen have a significant flange on the inner side which would act like a reenforcing washer and should stabilize the crack. Some super glue forced into the crack would also help.
As long as you dont shift under load.
Old 11-29-11, 12:18 AM
tigerdog

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
and sincevthis bikevis ridden by my teen age son, this never happens...
Old 11-29-11, 08:36 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
Even so, a rear derailleur is shifting the "slack" side of the chain so the side loads on it aren't that high.
Old 11-29-11, 12:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 762 Posts
I understand that aluminum tubes can't be repaired, but isn't the dropout/hanger a fairly substantial piece of forged metal (as opposed to a thin, heat treated tube). And, if so, couldn't a skilled welder fix those cracks, or cut it off and transplant a new piece - and then it could be filed/shaped and re-drilled and tapped as necessary? Or would that be impossible to do without damaging the structure of that part of the frame?

Just wondering.
Old 11-29-11, 02:43 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Camilo
I understand that aluminum tubes can't be repaired, but isn't the dropout/hanger a fairly substantial piece of forged metal (as opposed to a thin, heat treated tube). And, if so, couldn't a skilled welder fix those cracks, or cut it off and transplant a new piece - and then it could be filed/shaped and re-drilled and tapped as necessary? Or would that be impossible to do without damaging the structure of that part of the frame?

Just wondering.
If it was mine, I would TIG weld the crack. See post #18
However, not everyone has welder access.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.