Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Newbie on a trike!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Newbie on a trike!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 01:34 PM
3wheelgranny

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Tricycle with electric upgrade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Newbie on a trike!

I'm 55, out of shape, and work as a nanny to 2 (soon to be 3) kids younger than my grandchildren. Until I had a second child (1981) I went EVERYWHERE on my 5-speed bike, but since then, not really. I just bought a 26" Schwinn Meridian single speed tricycle and have an e-bike kit on order from CleanRepublic.com, and I'm hoping to make my one-mile trip to work both fun and healthful. But wow! My first pedal around the block was tough - I hadn't anticipated the stability issue of our high-crowned side streets. I'm going to search the forums for help, and I hope y'all are friendly to the older and slower among us!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bzb trike cropped.jpg (62.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-09-15, 01:46 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
welcome to the forums... oh, and you are not really one of the "older" folks on here. Check out the trike section and the over 50 section of the forums. Many of us here were actually a lot older than you when we started riding... have fun.
Old 10-09-15, 01:54 PM
3wheelgranny

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks! Excellent!
Old 10-09-15, 02:04 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums from a 70 year old. What part of Atlanta? Are you near VA-Highland/Piedmont Park? If so stop by Intown Bicycles for any help you need. Mike (the owner) is in his early 60 and can be a great resource.
--> Intown Bicycles

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-09-15, 02:35 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought similar trikes for both of my in-laws and have a couple of other cargo trikes. You have to unlearn some things that you naturally do when on a bike, and learn some other new things. Steering is very different and can feel strange when you aren't leaning the bike to steer. As far as keeping stable, if you lean your upper body to the inside of a turn, or opposite the direction that the road tilts if uneven, it can help you gain a sense of stability. If you are turning into an incline (e.g., a driveway), swing wide similar to getting into a parking space so you can take the incline head on. Keep your speed low until you get comfortable. As you gain confidence, you can ratchet up your speed.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 10-09-15, 04:10 PM
3wheelgranny

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Welcome to Bike Forums from a 70 year old. What part of Atlanta? Are you near VA-Highland/Piedmont Park? If so stop by Intown Bicycles for any help you need. Mike (the owner) is in his early 60 and can be a great resource.
--> Intown Bicycles
I'm in Grant Park - not too far! Thank you!
Old 10-09-15, 04:14 PM
3wheelgranny

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you, Cyclosaurus! I definitely need to practice. Motorizing the bike (front wheel drive) will also help some, I'm sure. I wish I could put it in my SUV to drive somewhere low-traffic and level for practice, but I'd need a stepvan, c'est la vie!