Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Museums you have visited or know of?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bicycle Museums you have visited or know of?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20, 10:04 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
What a great idea for a thread.

I have not been to it, but Bicycle Heaven looks like quite a unique shop/museum in Pittsburgh:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...nsylvania.html
Bicycle Heaven is a wonderful place to spend many hours. Room after room of old bikes.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 01-10-20, 10:27 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
The Bicycle Museum of America in New Bremen, Ohio:
THE BICYCLE MUSEUM OF AMERICA
I've been there a couple times - it's small-ish, but you can spend a couple hours there.

Likes For alexihnen:
Old 01-10-20, 11:47 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 217 Posts
The Museum of Working Bikes in Fanno, Italy. Not bikes that are operational but bikes used by tradespeople, like barbers, knife sharpeners, even a traveling movie show
Old 01-10-20, 12:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
PDX

Velocult was pretty much the pinnacle but alas is gone. RIP They had a somewhat rotating display and always some very cool, rare, amazing bikes of all types.

River City main store on MLK has been mentioned, is awesome and the best we have as of now, Dave has a fantastic collection that should be seen if you have a chance.

West End Bikes has several cool bikes to see including a Merz tandem, the owner will often be happy to show you some of his gems in the basement too.

Sellwood Cycle is a good bet for at least a few cool bikes anytime, they are consignments so you could take one home as well.
They had a Strawberry that we discussed at length here for the mongoloid headtube that sold and have an over the top sculpted, polished lug Vanilla as well as a very nice Hufnagel, also with polished lugs. None of which you do you see often. They also have a Fat chance for sale.
Old 01-10-20, 06:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I visited the National Cycle Museum in Lincoln, England in the 1980s and had a great time there. I see on this web page that they closed in the 90s but the stuff is on display in Llandrindon Wells in Wales.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-10-20, 09:03 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Saw this when I was in PDX in 2013

https://youtu.be/5Mi1P4gMc74

yes, I was able to see that show there too. One day per week at the time- museum entry was free. I lucked out. So, I bought the book that went with it. Was in town for a steam locomotive excursion. My son’s favorite steam locomotive is based in Portland.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-10-20, 09:08 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by merziac
PDX

Velocult was pretty much the pinnacle but alas is gone. RIP They had a somewhat rotating display and always some very cool, rare, amazing bikes of all types.

River City main store on MLK has been mentioned, is awesome and the best we have as of now, Dave has a fantastic collection that should be seen if you have a chance.

West End Bikes has several cool bikes to see including a Merz tandem, the owner will often be happy to show you some of his gems in the basement too.

Sellwood Cycle is a good bet for at least a few cool bikes anytime, they are consignments so you could take one home as well.
They had a Strawberry that we discussed at length here for the mongoloid headtube that sold and have an over the top sculpted, polished lug Vanilla as well as a very nice Hufnagel, also with polished lugs. None of which you do you see often. They also have a Fat chance for sale.
just checking- Velocult was going to do an online only merch thing... the site exists just now when I checked, but no offerings. Tough.
Old 01-10-20, 09:27 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
In the SW Michigan town of Three Oaks is a small but interesting bicycle museum. Many in the Chicagoland area would know Three Oaks as the site of the Apple Cider Century. https://www.facebook.com/deweycannontradingcompany/

Museum and general store.
There is a bicycle I made in about 1979 in this museum. Originally it was supposed to be an example of a "modern" bicycle but now it's a classic. It is the lightest steel frame I ever made. The whole bicycle weighs 15 1/2 pounds using only parts made in 1979 or before. Somewhere in my basement is a pair of Zues ti hubs from the same era to reduce weight of the normal Campy Record hubs. I never built them up into wheels. I just missed on getting a ti chain that Campy USA sold for only a very short time.

The bicycle museum in New Bremen is the remnants of the Schwinn museum in Chicago when it went bankrupt. I believe Crown fork lifts are made in that small town and that company wanted a museum of some kind and bid out everyone else at the bankruptcy auction.

I may be the only person on this forum that has visited the bicycle museum at the XB3 company in Kharkov, Ukraine. It was very nicely done. When I 1st visited the factory in 2000 it had a sign outside saying they had been in business 75 years. I'm not sure the company is still in business.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-10-20, 09:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
just checking- Velocult was going to do an online only merch thing... the site exists just now when I checked, but no offerings. Tough.
You might be able to find something out through Sky's instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/velocult/

He also is on ebay, steelbikelover
Old 01-10-20, 10:55 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
From a 2018 visit to the New Bremen Ohio Bicycle Museum. I stopped in this fall again, and a lot of exhibits have changed; a bunch of bikes I hadn't seen before.
The cafe right down the street is nice, and extremely inexpensive.

This collection is mostly American made bikes. There's an interesting mix of contemporary bikes, too ; Carbon, titanium, handmade steel, for racing, mountain, etc.
The 1870-1900 bikes are the most interesting, I think. There wasn't a standard bike geometry, materials, and components, so all these small manufacturers went to extremes on their designs. But a few of these 120 year old bikes wouldn't look too out of place out on the road now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from a high wheel seated trike with twist grip steering.
The brass bands are from the foot pedal power, instead of chains. Does twisting the grip slacken the band, to steer in that direction? It's essentially "fixed gear", but could both bands be loosened to coast downhill? But the only brakes are the foot pedal drive.

Who needs chains! But there better not be any frame flex or the gears are going to slip.

With it's contemporaries.

A vintage photo of this 5-rider race bike. Nice paint too!

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-10-20 at 11:17 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 01-10-20, 11:02 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Lane Automotive Museum in Nashville, TN, is obviously a car museum but has a rather nice bicycle wing. I'm guessing 2000 to 2500 square feet for the bike part. (warning: that was 4 years ago, I presuming still in place)
I was there about 2 years ago. Fascinating oddball collection of vehicles. Where else would you find an amphibious Corvair pickup?

Here's the bicycle collection: https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/collection/bicycles

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-11-20, 04:28 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
There is a bicycle I made in about 1979 in this museum. Originally it was supposed to be an example of a "modern" bicycle but now it's a classic. It is the lightest steel frame I ever made. The whole bicycle weighs 15 1/2 pounds using only parts made in 1979 or before.
That'd be this bike.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-11-20, 07:33 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I may be the only person on this forum that has visited the bicycle museum at the XB3 company in Kharkov, Ukraine. It was very nicely done. When I 1st visited the factory in 2000 it had a sign outside saying they had been in business 75 years. I'm not sure the company is still in business.
"Those Ukraine bikes really knock me out" I love their head badge. ..any photos from your visit?
Old 01-11-20, 08:23 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 160 Posts
The Pierce-Arrow company started out as a manufacturer of bicycles. The Pierce Arrow Museum in Buffalo has both autos and early bicycles:
Home ? Pierce Arrow Museum

Likes For Schreck83:
Old 01-11-20, 08:33 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
There is a small bike exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

Not worth a special visit, but if you do visit the museum, make sure you see it.

https://www.msichicago.org/explore/w...f-the-bicycle/
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 01-11-20, 08:48 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
There is a small bike exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

Not worth a special visit, but if you do visit the museum, make sure you see it.

https://www.msichicago.org/explore/w...f-the-bicycle/
Was just about to post this, myself. I like the bike exhibit, but the whole place is great and worth a visit.
Old 01-11-20, 08:53 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
Was just about to post this, myself. I like the bike exhibit, but the whole place is great and worth a visit.
Definitely recommend as a whole. We go at least once a year. Never gets old.
Old 01-11-20, 09:20 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Follow-up to my previous post, the museum in Edinburgh. I remember now that it was difficult to get good pics, but here's what I have.

I could not get all seven in the shot, with the people and height of the display.

Believe this was the Dunlop display:

Not the best pics, but it's what I got.
Old 01-11-20, 10:11 AM
repechage

[QUOTE=Schreck83;21279550]The Pierce-Arrow company started out as a manufacturer of bicycles. The Pierce Arrow Museum in Buffalo has both autos and early bicycles:
Home ? Pierce Arrow Museum

QUOTE]
Note the leaf spring front fork, and what is probably a shock absorber in the monostay of the upper seat stay assemblies.
that design would show up again in the early rear suspension mtb era.
love that fork crown too, very stately.
Old 01-11-20, 10:18 AM
repechage

There definitely is a need for discrete wheel stands to hold up bicycles.
have to think about that
Old 01-11-20, 12:22 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Appreciate all the replies and pics.

Some good stops for everyone's traveling sidetrips.
Old 01-11-20, 03:09 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
I have been to The museum in New Bremen Ohio. They have way more stuff than they have room to display, so the exhibits change up frequently. Some day, I hope to go back.
Have been to the Wright Brothers shop at Greenfield Village,and also, their shop in Dayton. The brothers moved their operation around from place to place, so there is more than one shop that can lay claim to the title..
Not a museum, but the late Mike Barry's collection at his shop in Toronto is certainly museum worthy. His son, Mike Junior is carrying on the tradition at Mariposa Bicycles. I've been there a couple of times, and he has lots of cool stuff.
He often rents period correct bikes for movie shoots. This bike is in his collection.
Old 01-13-20, 12:20 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Here's one in Davis, California: https://usbhof.org/

Another in Fairfax, California: https://mmbhof.org/
I came into this thread specifically to mention the Fairfax museum. It’s a nice little spot with very friendly staff. They were happy to put on some videos for the kids while I checked out all the exhibits. And as a bonus, the likes of Gary Fisher and Joe Breeze might just be there when you stop by; Tom Ritchey was giving a personal tour to a couple of foreign students as I was looking around.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 01-13-20, 12:21 PM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Another vote for Bicycle Heaven in Pittsburgh. I can't tell if it was originally intended to be a museum, or was just someone's funky collection that got out of hand. Either way, its a fun visit.
Old 01-13-20, 12:40 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
  • The Bicycle Culture Center in Tokyo has an interesting collection (or did, last time I was there).
  • Cycle Smithy in Chicago is a working shop (that's been around since roughly 1980) but it has an astounding collection of old bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.