Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Cycling with Medical Conditions?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 07:57 PM
SunDog70

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.3; 1992 Schwinn Hurricane MTB; 2018 Trek Domane AL 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm always curious to know if others ride with/despite various medical conditions, and if you feel it interferes in any way with your riding. Plus I need to reach 10 posts so I can post pics of my bikes.

I have some odd ones myself. Thyroid/auto-immune disorder is one. Which does NOT help when I get into a low energy rut and then don't exercise for months. I also have peripheral neuropathy (I'm not diabetic, but likely from being pre-diabetic for several years untreated - nobody told me the neuropathy can happen in that situation but my neurologist insists it can; wish I'd known that years ago) which has numbed my feet and hands, but so far it does not interfere with me riding. Though I'm really afraid to use clipless as I'd be worried I could not move fast enough or have the right amount of sensitivity to unlock in time.

I also have some bizarre "allergy" issues in that I'm allergic to - exercise! For real. One thing that can happen is called cholinergic urticaria, where I can break out in hives after exercise. Doesn't always happen, and improves the better shape I'm in. It fades within an hour. But worse is exercise-induced anaphylaxis. If you have not heard of it you can Google it if curious but it looks pretty gross. My eyes can swell up, sometimes severely, even the white parts. I do carry an EpiPen as one or two times I felt a little in my mouth/throat, but I've gone about 10 years with it and other than looking like the elephant man and not being able to see very well when it happens, that's been the worst. It can be inconvenient if it happens in the middle of nowhere and I have to ride back with my eyes all swelled up, and can take hours or sometimes even a day or two to subside. So far it hasn't been too bad this spring, and I've actually had some rides where I was really exerting myself and it didn't happen. Maybe at 48 I've outgrown it!

In any case for me it's mainly weird stuff but nothing that prevents me from or makes riding difficult. I admire people who do have such situations and ride anyway.
Old 05-10-18, 08:02 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I get some weird issues with my feet on the medicine I take, but it is actually easier to deal with it on a bike than it is walking.
Old 05-11-18, 05:23 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have the exercise allergy thing too. A daily Zyrtec usually keeps it at bay. I have some mild asthma, and I tend to get sinus infections/bronchitis a lot. I don’t have to carry an inhaler anymore thankfully. I have hypoglycemia that ranges from mild to “why did I fall asleep on the kitchen floor?” Thankfully it’s mostly mild but I do carry glucose tablets.

Im also too clumsy to ride a bike, not that it’s stopped me. In the last few years I’ve dealt with a broken tailbone, a broken hand, dislocated fingers, sprains and strains, endless random bruises ect. Not all from the bike. The broken hand still makes riding uncomfortable. I just kind of try to keep going. The tailbone actually got better with frequent riding.

I had weight loss surgery 4 years ago. Some people think that’s the easy way out, and it is a very difficult process that leads to easier weight loss. But it’s absolutely not easy to keep the weight off. Cycling has given me a lifestyle that’s motivated me to keep it off. I have to work out pretty intensely and watch my diet but I want to be faster and stronger so I do it. I give pep talks to people going through the process and I explain that my body has fought me every step of the way, and it’s not been easy but I still do it. I say “I’m literally allergic to exercise, and yes that’s a real thing,” that always gets a big laugh.
Old 05-11-18, 06:22 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I feel for you SunDog. I started riding again this Spring to rehab after cancer last year. Most of the side-effects of chemo messed with my lungs, (plural effusion, pneumonia, blood clots, etc,) so my biggest issue riding is to suck in enough air. It's getting better everyday, though, and after being in a wheelchair 7 months ago, I rode 18 miles yesterday.

I do wear a colostomy bag, that at times makes if hard to reach the drops. Reversal surgery coming up in a few weeks that will change that. Hopefully recovery will go quickly and I can get back out there. I can't imagine dealing with those allergies, but waking up on the kitchen floor seems oddly familiar.
Old 05-11-18, 06:56 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I used to exercise a daily and when my back went out I could barely sit up. I got clinically depressed and stopped completely. I took 8 years before I'd workout again. It still hurt even when I sedentary so I figured I wouldn't let it keep me down.
Old 05-11-18, 07:08 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SJM205
I feel for you SunDog. I started riding again this Spring to rehab after cancer last year. Most of the side-effects of chemo messed with my lungs, (plural effusion, pneumonia, blood clots, etc,) so my biggest issue riding is to suck in enough air. It's getting better everyday, though, and after being in a wheelchair 7 months ago, I rode 18 miles yesterday.

I do wear a colostomy bag, that at times makes if hard to reach the drops. Reversal surgery coming up in a few weeks that will change that. Hopefully recovery will go quickly and I can get back out there. I can't imagine dealing with those allergies, but waking up on the kitchen floor seems oddly familiar.
Thats impressive. Go you! Hopefully the waking up on the kitchen floor days are over for both of us. And good luck on your surgery.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I used to exercise a daily and when my back went out I could barely sit up. I got clinically depressed and stopped completely. I took 8 years before I'd workout again. It still hurt even when I sedentary so I figured I wouldn't let it keep me down.
When I broke my hand I was so angry at myself and I got depressed. I actually did it on the test drive when I was ordering my new bike, and when the bike came in I got so annoyed looking at it even though I couldn’t even sit in it. I gained 20lbs in just a couple of months. But I put in a lot of hard work on conditioning, endurance, and strength training at the gym over the winter and I’m getting back to where I was.
Old 05-11-18, 09:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Old injuries with legs, so there's a limit on intensity in most any leg-oriented physical activity. Can't "bring it" like I once could, mostly based on that issue (the injuries). And so, I cycle (and do a few other exercises) anyway, but with markedly reduced intensity in the ones that require the damaged zones on the legs. It is what it is.

Non-pounding type exercise works best, generally, for avoiding the muscle limits there: swimming, rowing, cycling, and general strength (gym) training.
Old 05-12-18, 09:17 PM
knitguy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is hardly a clyde specific question (for better or worse) but I don't know if I would say that I ride with medical conditions so much as I'm off the back of knee surgery number four. I've had four tibial tubercle osteotomies and two MPFL replacements (one per knee). The first two TTOs were done well but a lot of research was published shortly after they were done on how best to do them on patients with similar anatomical issues similar to mine. Cycling has been a part of my rehab for all four surgeries. It was also the tip off that I needed surgery to begin with because someone in their early 20s should not have knee pain when riding their bike.

I also have severe and chronic (treatment resistant) depression which is in no way shape or form helped by cycling or any other form of exercise. It's honestly made a acutely worse when i'm on long rides because of how few other things are going on around me. That isn't to say I don't enjoy riding my bike, but doing something that I enjoy doesn't mean that my depression goes away or gets better.

In addition to biking I swim and am doing a lot of PT with the aim of being able to run. I am also hopefully going to get back into rock climbing this year.
Old 05-12-18, 10:33 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Diabetes. Just have to watch out for low blood sugars. Really pretty easy now with continuous blood glucose monitoring that gives a blood sugar reading every 5 minutes on my phone (which is mounted on my bike.)
Old 05-13-18, 12:22 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SJM205

My mom is just getting over colon cancer. It is horrible what you have to go through. Hope you get better soon!
Old 05-13-18, 05:36 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was diagnosed 3 years ago with type 2. Doc said take meds or change the eating habits. Though I have never really eaten much fast foods and junk foods other than ice cream, I did start eating a more balance intake. Dropped 50 pounds without "TRYING" to lose weight, dropped the A1C and totally avoided meds.

Best choice I could have made. No meds to drop my levels, no worries about dropping too low on rides. I eat nutrition bars and drink one bottle of sports drink on a 45 mile ride no worries. After a ride, decent lunch, check the blood after an hour or so and will be anywhere from 90 to 105 on the glucose meter.

I'll tell ya, my parents said take the meds and I'll do better (certified couch potatoes). I don't think so, they are always complaining about lows. I changed eating habits, don't take meds, and don't feel any kind of a set back on the bike. Good choice I think at age 55.
Old 05-14-18, 09:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
I am a relatively cautious descender and also take it slower on bumpy roads because I am on blood thinners due to having a mechanical heart valve. The 5 or 10 extra mph ain't worth the potential consequences of a high speed fall. A few years ago I actually hit 39 mph descending in Montana riding a loaded touring bike. That was fast for me. Usually keep it at 32 mph or below. Combination of a stable ride with 37c tires, straight road section with good sights lines and smooth pavement convinced me to open it up more than usual.
Old 05-15-18, 10:01 AM
SunDog70

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.3; 1992 Schwinn Hurricane MTB; 2018 Trek Domane AL 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow everyone thanks for sharing. It is amazing to see what people deal with and still ride. My issues are trivial and more nuisance than anything else, though I'm astounded to find another exercised-induced allergy sufferer since it is pretty rare! I had also been wondering if anyone has peripheral neuropathy and is still successful using clipless. Maybe my concerns about that are more mental than anything else.
Old 05-18-18, 12:47 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have a few medical conditions that have impacted my cycling
1) Diabetes - I need to have food with me in the event of low blood sugars and need to be aware of problems
2) knee issues - I have had knee surgery in the past for knee damage and bone spurs from arthritis. Seems that I may have bone spurs in the other knee, I will need to get this checked after my next tour.
3) Back problems caused atrophied leg muscles on my right leg. I lost a lot of speed in the past 10 years due to this.
Old 05-20-18, 07:06 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
A form of Narcolepsy. Fortunately, it is an irresistible need to sleep, and not the "lights out" seizure variety.

Before medication was available, I would pull over if I started yawning, then sit down and wait it it out. Because I am excercising, it hits in the form of a very very short nap, like 15 seconds, or a few "touch and goes" and I am fine.

Now if I am in the sort of Sleep Debt that could trigger an episode I tend to get a migraine instead, and a good nap makes it go away.
Old 05-20-18, 07:30 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Does diabetes, six coronary stents and asthma count as medical conditions?

Riding a bike has quite possibly saved my life.

My A1c is down to 6.5, my cholesterol is at 95, my weight is down (technically I have not been a Clyde for years, but I’ve made good friends here so I still hang around) and my heart beats strong and steady.

Cycling, the ultimate lifesaver (unless you get squished like a bug while out riding).
Old 05-20-18, 07:45 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
Diabetes. Just have to watch out for low blood sugars. Really pretty easy now with continuous blood glucose monitoring that gives a blood sugar reading every 5 minutes on my phone (which is mounted on my bike.)
The CGM is a life-saver. I get real-time readings so that I see the direct correlation between food intake/exercise/stress and BG levels. Seeing that correlation has caused my A1c to drop dramatically.

out on the road I get low BG alerts and, in case I should ignore the warning, my wife gets an alert on her cell phone and calls me right away to check on me.

i can ignore the CGM but no way I can ignore her.
Old 05-21-18, 02:11 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I have Hypothyroidism, but I take 188mcg of Synthroid daily so that one is cancelled out.
I have Obstructive OSA, but I wear my CPAP daily and that one is cancelled out.

Other than those two I have bilateral Chondromalacia that only causes problems if I run a lot or if I play a lot of basketball so I no longer run (yippee) and I only shoot baskets I don't actually "play" (boo) pickup anymore.

I have some recurring back problems in my lower back but I assume most people over 45 get that too, so I'm trying Yoga and stretching to mitigate those issues. Trying to stay ahead of this stuff, and not give myself any excuses.
Old 05-21-18, 03:25 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Parkinson's for 15 years; riding a bike is much easier than walking for me. However, I must be careful to stay properly medicated. I once "used up" my medication while riding less than 30 miles and could barely stay upright.