Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Convince me why I need a Colnago Master

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 07:35 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts

I am looking at a few with wild paint, crimped Gilco tubing, probably early 90's but I don't really know. Some are Master Olympic, Master Light. I don't know the difference. They have horizontal drop outs. The itch needs to be scratched. Tell me why I should have one, or not. BTW I have a Tommasini Tecno Extra with Columbus Genius tubing. I love it, well maybe the unicrown fork not so much. Rode it 72 miles today. Maybe the ride characteristics would overlap a lot. I dunno but the paint on the Master.....This one is not that wild but close.
Old 05-23-18, 07:46 PM
derosafreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi There!

I have a Tommasini Super Prestige, DeRosa Sammontana, both Columbus SLX and a Colnago Master Olympic Décor Gilco

They all ride nice...but I think from riding them all, my preference is the Colnago..
Old 05-23-18, 07:49 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,797 Posts
Originally Posted by derosafreak
They all ride nice...but I think from riding them all, my preference is the Colnago..
Why?
Old 05-23-18, 07:53 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
You just do. There is no explanation.
Old 05-23-18, 07:56 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
I was going to say just because, then I saw the straight fork
Old 05-23-18, 08:02 PM
derosafreak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
I was going to say just because, then I saw the straight fork
Because of the décor paint and the straight fork not. It is just the feel of the Colnago.
Old 05-23-18, 08:05 PM
derosafreak

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tmh657
I am looking at a few with wild paint, crimped Gilco tubing, probably early 90's but I don't really know. Some are Master Olympic, Master Light. I don't know the difference. They have horizontal drop outs. The itch needs to be scratched. Tell me why I should have one, or not. BTW I have a Tommasini Tecno Extra with Columbus Genius tubing. I love it, well maybe the unicrown fork not so much. Rode it 72 miles today. Maybe the ride characteristics would overlap a lot. I dunno but the paint on the Master.....This one is not that wild but close.
Look at my thread for the pictures of my Master Olympic...some pictures for you to ponder.
Old 05-23-18, 08:25 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3100 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,797 Posts
I was hoping for some firsthand Colnago riding knowledge. NVRMND.
Old 05-23-18, 08:49 PM
tmh657

Originally Posted by cb400bill
I was hoping for some firsthand Colnago riding knowledge. NVRMND.
As was I... Ride comparison please derosafreak.
Old 05-23-18, 08:56 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 242 Posts

Because they are pretty.
Old 05-23-18, 11:28 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 2,553 Times in 1,067 Posts
For the same reason the TV commercial told Fat Freddy to drink Tree Frog Beer: "You'll feel great and have lots of girlfriends."

(Any other Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers fans out there?)
Old 05-24-18, 12:31 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 124 Posts
The Colnago Masters are very well sorted out for the average rider (years and years of frame building experience). For a roughly average proportioned rider, I reckon you can slip in your favourite seatpost, handlebar shape and stem, crank length, etc, and find a Colnago factory built frame to suit you. You will be getting a bike that fits you with quite neutral handling, stiff at the bottom bracket, predictable cornering, confidence going up and down gradients, flat road performance; in fact a competent allrounder and all day bike.

Can you get these ride qualities from other frame manufacturers? You bet you can. But there's just something intangible about a Colnago beneath you though.

Do you need a Colnago? Yes, of course you do.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 05-24-18 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 07:13 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts

You don’t “need” a Colnago Master. Once you get one, however, you will know why they are such great bikes to own and ride.

They are not the lightest steel bikes, but they are lively on the road and steady during descents.

They are not full of “modern” features but the Masters are cool looking and always attract an appreciative crowd. (I love looking down on the top tube and seeing that little painted rider.)

There are other steel bikes with a strong racing heritage, but the Masters have strong Italian DNA.

I own three Colnagos, including a Master, and one Bottecchia: two CF and two steel. I enjoy riding all four of them.

So no, you don’t need a Master, but if you are considering other equally priced steel bikes I would give strong consideration to a Master.

Ride safely!

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 05-24-18 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 07:24 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
IIRC the Master Olympic was only sold for a limited time, 1 or two years. I don't know the difference either. Someone with more in depth knowledge will tune in, I hope. Been wanting one for a number of years. I have a 1983 Superissimo that is a unique ride. Hard to pin it down. It is the last bike I would let go. If I had a Master, it would be difficult to decide which to keep!
Old 05-24-18, 07:55 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,813 Posts
They are pretty, but are they pretty enough to overcome the straight fork? That's for you to decide.
Old 05-24-18, 08:35 AM
tmh657

Originally Posted by himespau
They are pretty, but are they pretty enough to overcome the straight fork? That's for you to decide.
Are we just talking about the aesthetic of the straight fork? And what is the difference between Master and Master Light? I am lookin at a Master Olympic with Master Light on the top tube. Is it just a few dozen grams in weight or something else? Not that it really matters.
Old 05-24-18, 09:07 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
IIRC the Master Olympic was only sold for a limited time, 1 or two years. I don't know the difference either. Someone with more in depth knowledge will tune in, I hope. Been wanting one for a number of years. I have a 1983 Superissimo that is a unique ride. Hard to pin it down. It is the last bike I would let go. If I had a Master, it would be difficult to decide which to keep!
keep both.
Old 05-24-18, 09:10 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 412 Posts
It totally escapes me why some find the straight fork an issue. I have Frans Maassen's '93 &/or '94 Wordperfect Master Team bike, a 58cm w/ Columbus GIlco Design Profilo S4. A daily rider in a rotation with CIOCC SLX, Tommasini EL, Tommasini Diamonte MS, Pinarello Asolo Dolmen, Vitus 979 and two customs, one Tange Prestige Superlight and another EL. All with 25mm tires other than the 23mm needed for the Air fork on the Tecno and as eja said the Master ride is second to none other than when climbing the lighter frames are nice; It really shines when things go South, sudden pot hole or curb, loose dog, vehicle madness, etc.
Old 05-24-18, 09:34 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
When I got mine I was captivated by the design and paint, but after I rode it I fell in love. I can't say that it's ride characteristics are superior to my other top tier bikes, but it's unique, well behaved and very comfortable yet nimble when I need it to be. Took me a little time to warm to the straight fork but I like it, and it absorbs road shock as well as a traditional bend. When it's not being ridden it hangs on the wall - after all art is art.

Old 05-24-18, 10:04 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Yup, those are the important questions.

Is it an art object, or is it athletic equipment? I'm fine with either one. In my opinion, as an art object, it's pretty tacky. It looks to me like a combination of excellent craftsmanship and poor taste. Not that I want to disparage it-- if you like it, you like it. If you have to have it, you have to have it. I can't talk you into it, or out of it. I ride with a couple guys who have bikes like that --recent Colnagos, that is; I don't know one from another-- and they are very proud of them. I don't get it, but I don't tell them my problems.
Old 05-24-18, 10:38 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by rhm
Yup, those are the important questions.

Is it an art object, or is it athletic equipment? I'm fine with either one. In my opinion, as an art object, it's pretty tacky. It looks to me like a combination of excellent craftsmanship and poor taste. Not that I want to disparage it-- if you like it, you like it. If you have to have it, you have to have it. I can't talk you into it, or out of it. I ride with a couple guys who have bikes like that --recent Colnagos, that is; I don't know one from another-- and they are very proud of them. I don't get it, but I don't tell them my problems.

Tacky is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I would prefer if fewer people rode Colnagos.

That would make me a member of a far more exclusive “club.”
Old 05-24-18, 10:41 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by easyupbug
It totally escapes me why some find the straight fork an issue. I have Frans Maassen's '93 &/or '94 Wordperfect Master Team bike, a 58cm w/ Columbus GIlco Design Profilo S4. A daily rider in a rotation with CIOCC SLX, Tommasini EL, Tommasini Diamonte MS, Pinarello Asolo Dolmen, Vitus 979 and two customs, one Tange Prestige Superlight and another EL. All with 25mm tires other than the 23mm needed for the Air fork on the Tecno and as eja said the Master ride is second to none other than when climbing the lighter frames are nice; It really shines when things go South, sudden pot hole or curb, loose dog, vehicle madness, etc.
My Bottecchia has the traditional curbed fork.

I find the straight forks used by Colnago (and now copied by many) to be far more responsive...so I agree with you 100%.
Old 05-24-18, 10:43 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
When I got mine I was captivated by the design and paint, but after I rode it I fell in love. I can't say that it's ride characteristics are superior to my other top tier bikes, but it's unique, well behaved and very comfortable yet nimble when I need it to be. Took me a little time to warm to the straight fork but I like it, and it absorbs road shock as well as a traditional bend. When it's not being ridden it hangs on the wall - after all art is art.

I am envious of your choice of gruppo. Looks far more old school than mine.
Old 05-24-18, 11:54 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
For the same reason the TV commercial told Fat Freddy to drink Tree Frog Beer: "You'll feel great and have lots of girlfriends."

(Any other Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers fans out there?)
wow a reference from my youth. I thought they were so funny when I was 12. I wonder if I still would!
Old 05-24-18, 11:55 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

I am envious of your choice of gruppo. Looks far more old school than mine.
Thanks! It came with 8sp Chorus and as close as I could figure the bike is a 92/93 - rear wheel was bent so I upgraded it and the brifters to 9sp and retro-ed the brakes to C Record deltas because I had them laying around and this bike seemed to call out for them. Much like myself it's a bit of a mutt - but I like the combination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.