Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

L’Intrepidia 2019

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

L’Intrepidia 2019

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 12:22 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
L’Intrepidia 2019

I recently returned from ridding L’Intrepidia for the second time. It is the only ride of its type that I have done more than once and I was not disappointed!

There are a lot of things that I like about this ride, the fact being that it is truly a community event is right at the top of the list. OnFriday, there was a talk in the town theater with Moreno Argentin, Maurizio Fonderiest, and Tatiana Guderzo. Getting to see World Champions would be a good show, but the best part of the evening was the kids from the local school singing a song about L’Intredepia. It was written by their music teacher, who accompanied them on the accordion. On Saturday, the town had displays of crafts and musicians in the streets. Plus there was a Gastroride to local farms that was open to anyone one on any type of bike. And of course, the usual swap meet. A surprising item for sale there this year was that hard to find Italian item, Newbaums handlebar tape.

Sunday was the ride. I have started a few rides of this type in the dark, on my own. This one is a mass start from the central piazza. After everyone in the the sang the Italian National Anthem, we rolled town the hill, through tobacco fields covered by a thick fog. It was really cold, but the organizers had hot drinks waiting as we pulled out of the fog for the first climb. At the second rest stop, Francesco Moser passed me. It is mostly likely that he was held up talking to fans and posing for photos, but I am clinging to the belief that my incredible pace that put me ahead of him. If only I could have kept it up.

I did the long route again this year. At the Cagnano rest stop, the time stamp table last year was manned by a guy dressed as a bishop. This year he was in a knight’s armor. He remembered me from last year which speaks to the personal scale of this event.

The next day, as we were headed to the car, bike and luggage in tow, we passed some of the organizers. They stopped us and asked us how the ride went and for feedback. Feedback? For 25 euros, I was entertained for a weekend, got to ride with World Champions, had more food than i could eat, had enough wine that I had to put myself on a one glass per rest stop limit, rode some really challenging roads, and got to immerse myself in the things that i love about cycling for a while. I will be back.

Some photos follow.

No, the gruppo did not come home with me.

Just hanging out an a World Champ walks by. The others are behind me.

Start was at a civilized hour.

If only there was food

The best rest stop of the ride
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 11-10-19, 02:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,209 Posts
More pics please!
Old 11-10-19, 03:03 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Looks wonderful! Thanks for the report!
Old 11-10-19, 07:45 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

I have a few more, but for whatever reason, when I try to upload, my device is telling me I have no photos. I can see them, and can work with them, but when I try to upload here, it won’t work. I will try tomorrow
Old 11-11-19, 09:20 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

The Gastroride. Bikes and riders of all sorts.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 11-11-19, 09:30 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Three things from this photo. A well marked course but it does have some bits that your skills. The other thing is the bikes used. While all of the bikes fit the 1987 standard, there are a lot of bikes that are simply solid bikes, not works of art.

This is the 8th time they have run this ride. There are now official route markers .
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 11-11-19, 09:34 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Oh my those tables of food!
Old 11-11-19, 12:07 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Oh that looks wonderful! Thanks for posting, @Mr. Spadoni
Old 11-11-19, 05:00 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
At the second rest stop, Francesco Moser passed me. It is mostly likely that that my incredible pace that put me ahead of him. If only I could have kept it up.
Well duh. Of course. That is exactly what happened.