Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to help me understand road bike geometry?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anyone want to help me understand road bike geometry?

Old 11-20-19, 11:06 AM
base2 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow View Post
Thanks for the response.

Anyway, I bought the frame. It's at my LBS now. Hopefully it lives up to the marketing hype!
Old 11-20-19, 11:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Quoted: 5847 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 253 Posts
I just looked up the Zig Zag. It looks great. $1,300 isn't bad at all. My wife has an All City Macho Man. It's so great that I'm envious.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-19, 11:42 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 15686 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 265 Posts
I give up. I'm just going to buy it because it's a pretty color and hope the marketing department isn't full of crap.
...all things considered, you can do a lot worse than buying a bike that's a pretty color.

Old 11-20-19, 11:50 AM
showlow

Bikes: 2 Surlys, Lemond Zurich

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...all things considered, you can do a lot worse than buying a bike that's a pretty color.

Oh yeah. Definitely. I could buy a stupid TV or something. I think bikes are always worth it.
Old 11-20-19, 02:35 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 156 Posts
I give up. I'm just going to buy it because it's a pretty color and hope the marketing department isn't full of crap.
Don't give up! Document the bike you have - especially the fit points. BB to HB tops. BB to seat. This is what works for you (if it does). With that, you can set up potential bikes to have similar fit. Then ride them!
Old 11-20-19, 06:29 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts
Showlow, you will like the Zig Zag. I am a big fan of shallower than 73 degree seat tube angles, and prefer how it puts me behind the BB. This does slightly affect handling and you will find that it has a positive affect on stability, which is good on rougher than smooth surfaces or loose surfaces such as gravel roads.

I believe you made a solid choice.
Old 11-24-19, 06:41 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 53 Posts
You're going to like the bike. Probably. As best as could be known w/o a long, long test ride.

72.5 is not particularly shallow and not shallow at all for a bike to be used w/ bigger tires on rougher surfaces. The (slightly) shallow head angle, the (slightly) long fork rake, the long top tube combine to make a longish wheelbase. You don't design a frame to a target wheelbase. Steering trail is about same as what you are used to and that is usually the strongest determinant in handling. Frame is intended for up to 35mm tires and that means it has to be longer than a pure road bike. Wow. That frame is very well spec'd. Is Anna Schwinn still designing? Somebody smart designed that frame.
Old 12-04-19, 09:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3444 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 304 Posts
Anyway, I bought the frame. It's at my LBS now. Hopefully it lives up to the marketing hype!
wow this has been a mess of a thread. Since you bought the frame, I'll refrain from discussing geometry, comparisons, and how differences relate.

Just wanted to mention that the lack of helpful discussion to your question(s) was quite noticable.
also- post some pics of the frame/bike!