Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

More Durable 650b Tubeless Urban Commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

More Durable 650b Tubeless Urban Commuter?

Old 11-20-19, 09:50 AM
  #1  
golftdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 195

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
More Durable 650b Tubeless Urban Commuter?

I would like a more durable 650b tire than the WTB Horizons which came with my Surly Midnight Special (which I have been running tubeless).
I am considering the Teravail Rampart, either the Light & Supple Tan, or the black Durable. I would prefer the ride and looks of the Light & Supple, but wonder if it makes more sense to get the Durable.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
golftdi is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 10:14 AM
  #2  
5teve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Gravelkings slick is pretty tough.
5teve is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 10:22 AM
  #3  
JaccoW
Tinkerer
 
JaccoW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,089

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
Schwalbe has a fairly big selection of 650B/27.5 tyres under Touring, Road and MTB. Filter on French > 650B and you'll find about 9 different models with different levels of leak protection.
JaccoW is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 10:44 AM
  #4  
golftdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 195

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
thanks for the suggestions
golftdi is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 01:06 PM
  #5  
davei1980
Senior Member
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 815

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
I have the 700x42C version of Panaracer Gravelking SK, I have been plugging them every chance I get - they make a 650x48B version as well. Here's a link. They're not the neatest looking tire on the planet but made in Japan, high quality. Let me know if you want, I'll upload pics. The 48mm wide version has 5 rows of treadblocks. My LBS owner calls them "Velcro" due to how well they stick to all surfaces.

My LBS hooked me up with mine for LESS than ANY internet retailer and no shipping so good place to start!


https://www.backcountry.com/panaracer-gravelking-sk-650b-tire-clincher?CMP_SKU=PAN000B&MER=0406&skid=PAN000B-BRO-S650BXS48MM&mr:trackingCode=7DA98681-D4C8-E811-8107-005056944E17&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pa&mr:ad=8823334146&mr:filter=4580634161245713&i v_=__iv_c_8823334146_w_pla-4580634161245713_g_3780426119_n_o_e__h__ii__j_4580634161245713_z_US_f_Online_o_PAN000B-BRO-S650BXS48MM_i_EN_s_Backcountry.com_q_panaracer%20gravel%20king%20sk%20650b_p_2_d_c_vi__&CMP_ID=PLA_B NmyDeviceIndicator=c001&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=480d4511-1b96-4a4b-a84c-62131024bd0c&msclkid=c0da49d58b1e17cb5b891400052d9b7b

Last edited by davei1980; 11-20-19 at 01:10 PM.
davei1980 is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 01:08 PM
  #6  
davei1980
Senior Member
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 815

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve View Post
Gravelkings slick is pretty tough.
+1 and the Gravelking SK is even tougher with a little more capability in the rough stuff.

I used to not care about that until I realized the shoulder of the road is often littered with gravel and other objects which make the properties of a gravel tire desirable because we all, you know, don't want to die.
davei1980 is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 01:14 PM
  #7  
davei1980
Senior Member
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 815

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
My unsolicited advice: overspend on tires - they're the only part of the bike that touches the road. Lots of good offerings suggested here and you can't go wrong with any but it will cost!
davei1980 is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 01:49 PM
  #8  
golftdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 195

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
My unsolicited advice: overspend on tires - they're the only part of the bike that touches the road. Lots of good offerings suggested here and you can't go wrong with any but it will cost!
I'm ok spending on tires; thanks.
golftdi is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 02:02 PM
  #9  
davei1980
Senior Member
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 815

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by golftdi View Post
I'm ok spending on tires; thanks.
Cool! you can't really go wrong then! And cheaper than gas (or diesel, in your case) in the long run!
davei1980 is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 03:07 PM
  #10  
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,302
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by golftdi View Post
I would like a more durable 650b tire than the WTB Horizons which came with my Surly Midnight Special (which I have been running tubeless).
I am considering the Teravail Rampart, either the Light & Supple Tan, or the black Durable. I would prefer the ride and looks of the Light & Supple, but wonder if it makes more sense to get the Durable.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
I run Teravail 700 x 42's in the light and supple version on my commuter right now, it's a great tire, plenty robust for my commuting needs. Seems like it would be a little more flat resistant than the Gravel King (slick) from Panaracer, which I also have on a singlespeed commuter in 700 x 38. I really like the Gravel Kings, too, fwiw. I run both tubeless and have had no flats, so I would say either would be a good choice.
well biked is offline  
Likes For well biked:
Old 11-20-19, 04:35 PM
  #11  
davei1980
Senior Member
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 815

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked View Post
I run Teravail 700 x 42's in the light and supple version on my commuter right now, it's a great tire, plenty robust for my commuting needs. Seems like it would be a little more flat resistant than the Gravel King (slick) from Panaracer, which I also have on a singlespeed commuter in 700 x 38. I really like the Gravel Kings, too, fwiw. I run both tubeless and have had no flats, so I would say either would be a good choice.
Do you have the lighter, slicker GK's or do you have the SK's which are a little more HD?

I ordered a 700x38 for my front tire but after seeing the rear 700x43 with 2 additional rows of treadblocks I was like "I WANT THAT" "I'LL MAKE IT FIT"

Fits just fine under the fenders. Not a ton of extra clearance but that's ok, not a mud bike.
davei1980 is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 05:03 PM
  #12  
golftdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 195

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
Cool! you can't really go wrong then! And cheaper than gas (or diesel, in your case) in the long run!
My TDIs are gone.
golftdi is offline  
Likes For golftdi:
Old 11-20-19, 05:09 PM
  #13  
golftdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 195

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Looks like the Gravel King SK tubeless doesn't come in 650b size.

I'll probasbly go with the Teravail.

Thanks to all the posters
golftdi is offline  
Likes For golftdi:
Old 11-20-19, 06:06 PM
  #14  
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,302
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
Do you have the lighter, slicker GK's or do you have the SK's which are a little more HD?
I have only run the slick Gravel Kings, not the SK's. Have sold a bunch of SK's to customers, though, including the new SK+'s which are a little heavier but have more puncture protection. The SKs and SK+'s are very good tires.... I've also ridden 700 x 32's in the slick Gravel King a lot, have worn out a couple of pair of those. Have only run these tires tubeless, have never had a flat with any of them. Knock on wood.
well biked is offline  
Likes For well biked:
Old 11-20-19, 06:08 PM
  #15  
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,302
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
To the OP, I think you will really like the Teravails.
well biked is offline  
Likes For well biked:
Old 11-20-19, 06:34 PM
  #16  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 10,083

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 164 Posts
I have a much different bike, but the WTB tires that came on mine were OEM-spec and very much NOT full tubeless, with no butyl layer, even though WTB do make a tubeless version. I set them up tubeless anyhow and over their lives they've tended to dry out the sealant pretty quickly, and it deposits in a layer on the carcass, so I've never seen a "booger" in them. I've worn out one of them and replaced it with a "real" tubeless tire that's holding air SO MUCH better. Other than that problem they've worked fine, no cuts or tears and the only flat I had was with dried-out sealant.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 11-20-19, 09:06 PM
  #17  
davei1980
Senior Member
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 815

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked View Post
I have only run the slick Gravel Kings, not the SK's. Have sold a bunch of SK's to customers, though, including the new SK+'s which are a little heavier but have more puncture protection. The SKs and SK+'s are very good tires.... I've also ridden 700 x 32's in the slick Gravel King a lot, have worn out a couple of pair of those. Have only run these tires tubeless, have never had a flat with any of them. Knock on wood.
Youíre doing the Lordís work.
davei1980 is offline  
Old 11-21-19, 10:44 AM
  #18  
5teve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by golftdi View Post
Looks like the Gravel King SK tubeless doesn't come in 650b size.

I'll probasbly go with the Teravail.

Thanks to all the posters
I've got a super low-mileage set of 650bX48 SK's hanging in my basement if you're interested. I tried them for a couple rides but find slicks suit my needs better. $55 shipped?

5teve is offline  
Old 11-21-19, 11:48 AM
  #19  
golftdi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 195

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks, 5teve, but I'm going with the Teras.
golftdi is offline  
Likes For golftdi:
Old 11-21-19, 12:06 PM
  #20  
5teve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by golftdi View Post
Thanks, 5teve, but I'm going with the Teras.
No worries, hope you like them!
5teve is offline  
Likes For 5teve:
Old 11-21-19, 12:39 PM
  #21  
davei1980
Senior Member
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 815

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve View Post
I've got a super low-mileage set of 650bX48 SK's hanging in my basement if you're interested. I tried them for a couple rides but find slicks suit my needs better. $55 shipped?

I am going to let my little brother know about these if that's ok - they still have the little nubs on them so I feel $55 is an awesome offer
davei1980 is offline  
Old 11-21-19, 01:16 PM
  #22  
5teve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
I am going to let my little brother know about these if that's ok - they still have the little nubs on them so I feel $55 is an awesome offer
Sure, they're just laying around at this point. I could always take more if the price seems stupid low. B-)
5teve is offline  
Old 11-21-19, 06:53 PM
  #23  
davei1980
Senior Member
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 815

Bikes: Ridley XBow all-purpose frankenbike

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve View Post
Sure, they're just laying around at this point. I could always take more if the price seems stupid low. B-)
I texted him. He's anti-650b/584/27.5 at the moment.

He also complains to me he can't find fenders to fit his 700x50C tires so wants to switch to 700x32C so.......

He's different.
davei1980 is offline  
Old 11-22-19, 01:31 PM
  #24  
5teve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
I texted him. He's anti-650b/584/27.5 at the moment.

He also complains to me he can't find fenders to fit his 700x50C tires so wants to switch to 700x32C so.......

He's different.
No problem, thanks for letting me know! Heh, I'm thinking that we 650b'ers are the ones that are "different."
5teve is offline  
Old 11-23-19, 02:13 PM
  #25  
ThermionicScott 
hungry
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 19,358

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
I texted him. He's anti-650b/584/27.5 at the moment.

He also complains to me he can't find fenders to fit his 700x50C tires so wants to switch to 700x32C so.......

He's different.
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.