Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keeping feet warm?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Keeping feet warm?

Old 11-14-19, 11:43 AM
Ridingtolive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giving up on clipless for winter - help on good boots

Hi, I have tried lots and I believe my diabetes may contribute to my feet being cold. What I have decided to do is just go with flat pedals (those ones with the little spikes in them) and just get some good winter boots. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good boot that is not too ride invasive. Winter riding for me is not about speed, but just being able to ride in the winter. I just want to get miles in and keep my feet warm, Moosemitts have done the trick for my hands now I need to tackle the feet.

I have used hiking boots with the flat pedals but they are only good for about 5 miles in Michigan winter riding temp ~27 degrees F. Would like to do something that would get me 20 miles - to around ~20F.

Any suggestions would be great.
Old 11-14-19, 12:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2759 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
I was reminded today of how much of a challenge keeping feet warm is when the temps fall - and I even felt my feet getting cold at 60 degrees F today.

I have put my feet in plastic bags before (like sock linings) inside my shoes to keep the wind from getting through, but the plastic doesn't let my feet breathe.
That can be a problem with just about any shoe that is meant to be water and wind proof. Plastic makes the problem worse but anything that protects your feet from wind will be sweaty.

Another problem area is the soul of my shoes. I use SPD cleats/pedals and the open air, for one, plus the temperature transmission through the cleat, secondly, make the bottoms of my feet hard to to keep warm.
Try aluminum furnace tape. Just about any hardware store should have it. Put it under the insole and it will block the cold from the slots as well as reflect back a little bit of heat. Insulate insole can help as well but they may make summer shoes too tight.

The neoprene shoe "covers" that zip over shoes up to lower legs seem interesting, but they leave the bottoms open for the cleat to attach to the pedal so they do nothing for the bottom insulation - from the open air and conduction from the cleat/pedal. So maybe on the "keeping wind out" front they work well and allow better ventilation/breathabilty than the bag method?
Yep. Shoe covers can get sweaty as well. You eventually learn to deal with it.

Just for the heck of it I have been looking at some "boots" that have SPD cleats. One example is this pair:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/northwave-himalaya-shoe-mens?skidn=NTW003R-BK-S40&ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW4ncyBNb3VudGFpbiBCaWtlIFNob2VzOjE6NDpjY0NhdDEwMDM0MA==

They seem like decent boots for the price, considering they have cleat mounts.
You may want to look a little further. The velcro closures like on those shoes can be hard to seal and the velcro wears out quickly. That also seems like a steep price for that shoe. There are better prices out there for even that shoe. Take a look at 45NRTH Ragnoroks as well. They aren't quite as warm as some other boots but how cold do you want to ride? I have Lake MX145 that work very well down to about 30°F but aren't super hot when the temperature gets to 55°F or so. I also have a set of Lake MZ303 which are great below 30°F but get hot any warmer than that.

Final tip: Buy the shoes a size larger (or 2) than regular shoes. You want room for extra socks and/or thicker insoles.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
Old 11-15-19, 12:02 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I've been relying on electric heaters since about 2012. Without them my maximum time outside in the winter is 45 minutes to an hour. It is difficult for me to recommend a specific product at the moment. There are numerous heating methods being used. For older types such as the Hotronics heater I started with, the heating element is concentrated in a small spot. Newer products use inexpensive flexible carbon fiber as the heating element which allows a larger area to be heated. The availability of carbon heated gloves seems to have exploded this season with everybody selling them, but it doesn't look like that is the case with heated insoles yet. What I'm using now is semi-DIY from a discontinued product.

This one on Amazon might be decent for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermrup-Elec.../dp/B07K9ZCG78

Pros:
  • trim to fit portion (unheated) is all at the rear.
  • large heating area.
  • 7.4v 2500 mah batteries (more voltage generally means more heat, many products are 5v)
  • multiple power settings
Cons:
  • battery pack attachment system looks a bit hokey
  • heat appears to be concentrated in the middle of foot, outside of foot might get cold, ideally there would be full width coverage around toe area.
  • might be on the thick side
Another pro would be the battery packs themselves which could be used for a DIY heat project since the controller is built-in. You could get some cheap heat pads from ebay or aliexpress and plug them straight into the battery pack for a custom solution that puts all the heat at the front of the boot. My current setup uses heat pads similar to THESE taped to the front of my insoles, but those specific ones don't have the correct connector. The battery pack for the Amazon insoles is probably a 3.5 x 1.35 dc barrel connector.
Old 11-18-19, 09:46 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thin pair of wool socks, waterproof wool socks and winter boots by Baffin. Keeps me warm when it's well below zero. My feet will sweat no matter the temp so the wool helps keep me warm anyway. The waterproof wool locks in the heat my feet are putting off. For the hands I pick from the ice fishing gloves. Different styles and warmth levels plus all are wind/waterproof. Can be difficult to dry unless you get removable inserts.
Old 11-19-19, 07:59 AM
H.Franco
Professional

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly you can use waterproof wool socks thats really work
Old 11-20-19, 11:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Quoted: 5848 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 253 Posts
A big factor in what works is how long your ride is. I used to have a 70-minute ride, and nothing I tried worked on the worst days. I didn't try everything possible, and I might have found a solution if I had stayed at that job. Right now, my commute is 35 minutes, and my feet don't get very cold in that time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-19, 06:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 73 Posts
Keeping feet warm?
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
A big factor in what works is how long your ride is. I used to have a 70-minute ride, and nothing I tried worked on the worst days. I didn't try everything possible, and I might have found a solution if I had stayed at that job.

Right now, my commute is 35 minutes, and my feet don't get very cold in that time.
I have frequently posted, in this case about fogging eyeglasses, but relevant to other gear winter:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:...

That’s why I suggest
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
…that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance.
I’m not trying to be contrarian about any methods used, but I am zealous because fogging [as well as freezing] is a difficult and dangerous challenge to winter riding, and would keep me off the bike for about 3 to 4 months during the year.
Originally Posted by TuckamoreDew View Post
[of Edmonton, AB] I agree with this.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-20-19 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-22-19, 05:48 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Aerotech's web site has quite a few different types of shoe covers. https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/cycl...oe-covers.html
Old 11-22-19, 06:39 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 157 Posts
I was reminded today of how much of a challenge keeping feet warm is when the temps fall - and I even felt my feet getting cold at 60 degrees F today.

I have put my feet in plastic bags before (like sock linings) inside my shoes to keep the wind from getting through, but the plastic doesn't let my feet breathe.

Feet don't really need to breath. But keeping socks dry is critical to maintaining insulating value (unless you are wearing neoprene socks). I push the critical temperature for my regular cycling shoes by 1) using a pair a size larger and 2) using plastic bags both inside and outside my socks. My feet go into produce bags. Then my usual insulating socks. Produce bags and a thin pair of socks over. Liner socks stay dry and work far better.

For below freezing, the 45 North boots work very well and are very good riding. Sadly they do not come in the LOOK 3-bolt pattern so I can only use they with my least used bike/cleats/shoes. I live in Portland, OR which rarely gets "cold" so the Fasterkatt boots (down to 25F) work well for me.

Bah! Posted this a month ago. Sorry.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-22-19 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 02:02 PM
dougiet

Bikes: 2017 Farly 9.6

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Costco Merino Wool Blend Socks

Cold Weather rides are better with Costco Merino wool blend socks. $14.00 for 2 pairs. They are big enough to slide two pairs on each of my 13-inch 'snowshoes' [feet]!
Old 12-03-19, 02:46 PM
roadsnakes

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Toe warmers
WOOL Socks
Plastics bags
Shake and heat packets
If that doesn`t work, add one more layer of plastic.
If that doesn`t work, Stay Home.