Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Old 10-07-19, 09:31 AM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
I went out Friday afternoon to scout a bit of gravel riding. I parked at the SART parking lot near Green River/91 and proceeded up the hill to the course, across the railroad tracks, and then on gravel into the backside of Chino Hills State Park. I then rode East a bit towards Prado dam on a rough dirt road that parallels the golf course. All of the sudden I see SART signage, and a pristine 1 mile stretch of paved path. It was like new, with tons of signage about "slippery when wet", "pass with caution", etc. As I rode East, the paved portion ends about 1/4 mile from Prado Dam at the 71.

Makes me wonder why they put all the effort into paving this isolated stretch that's bounded on both ends by dirt? I guess someday (in the year 2050) this will be the connection that gets me from my home in Eastvale, across the Prado basin to the rest of the SART?

View from 71 looking West towards Green River

Dirt portion West of paved trail, heading towards Green River Golf Course.
Old 10-16-19, 02:14 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Today, when I was about 4 miles up from the beach I came across a coyote. Kind of scared me since he was standing on the riverbed edge and was only about 15 feet away. He looked really sick. I think I was more scared than he was. He just stood there and watched me ride by.
Old 10-16-19, 03:05 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Today, when I was about 4 miles up from the beach I came across a coyote. Kind of scared me since he was standing on the riverbed edge and was only about 15 feet away. He looked really sick. I think I was more scared than he was. He just stood there and watched me ride by.
I've seen several along the trails. One was trotting along the fence line of Yorba Reg. Park on the SART. Saw one on the SGRT standing alongside the path just north of Beverly. Trotted off into the riverbed as I got nearer. A few weeks ago my wife & I saw one standing next to the SGRT at the south corner of the Nature Center (near Katella). A family- husband, wife, small child & 2 dogs were walking south towards it just a hundred feet or so away so I warned them of it's presence. The husband said thanks- yeah I been watching him!
Month or so ago we rode Santiago Cyn Road & were coming back up Portola. At the Arco station just before Alton one was standing on the grass strip next to the sidewalk not a care in the world! We stopped at the rest area there & a few minutes later saw it trot south across Portola into the shopping center parking lot.
My wife was on an early morning ride over Gilbert hill between Rosecrans & Imperial in Fullerton & one ran across the road just in front of her.
Our Ring app is full of videos of them running through neighborhoods etc.
Those urban dogs are used to the environment & aren't spooked by people at all as opposed to the ones out in the wild.
Old 10-16-19, 09:00 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
I saw a coyote trotting along the San Diego creek trail in Irvine, between Valley Oak and Sand Canyon.
Old 10-16-19, 09:46 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
I see coyotes daily along the SART stretch in Eastvale. I usually run into a group of two young ones in the same spot all the time. They don’t bother anyone.

It gets even more interesting when the wild pigs come out of the riverbed to root around in the grassy park areas along the trail. They are way more aggressive than any coyote.
Old 10-17-19, 12:03 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
I see coyote on SART, GMR, and the foothills. Never been bothered by one.

Right now, the biggest threat for me on SART are other cyclists.
Old 10-17-19, 08:04 AM
Unapomer

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere View Post
I see coyote on SART, GMR, and the foothills. Never been bothered by one.

Right now, the biggest threat for me on SART are other cyclists.
The Dude said it all
Likes For Unapomer: