Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Shoe sole comparison: Easton EC70 Vs EC90, any recognizable difference in flex?

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 03-02-19, 08:57 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I'm using Lake CX331's and they're getting pretty tattered. Thinking of trying the Giro Factor Techlace, but damn, are they narrow! Considering whether going to the Trans Boa HV (wider forefoot) is a good decision, or if its EC70 sole would be noticeably more flexible than the EC90 on the Factor shoe.

Someone once told me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between cycling shoe sole materials, but that wasn't quite so. My Lakes are [MUCH] stiffer than my previous shoes. I'd like to stick with a stiff sole like I have now for best energy transfer, but am struggling with shoe width issues. Thinking maybe I should warm up the Factor Techlace uppers, stick shoe stretchers in them and customize. I normally customize my shoes, ski boots, everything. My Lake cycling shoes have been shaped heavily with a spot stretcher, and they fit my feet like they were custom made. Anyway, back to the original question, sorry.

Comparing the EC70 shoe sole flex with the flex of a shoe with the EC90 sole, would there be any noticeable difference in stiffness?

Possible answers include:
A) The EC90 sole is noticeably stiffer than EC70, the 70 is poorer at transferring energy.
B) There is no flex difference between the two.
C) It's Saturday night, and you're posting about carbon cycling sole flex comparisons...Have you ever kissed a girl?
D) Nerd factor 11, on display here, is rarely seen; it's like seeing a comet, the blood moon, or a Keanu Reeves movie with actual acting.

Last edited by Super D; 03-02-19 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-02-19, 10:22 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
First, it matters how much torque you produce.

Let’s say the 90’s are stiffer than the 70’s, if you aren’t strong enough to flex the 70’s, then having a stiffer sole won’t matter.

Also, the difference could be in weight savings, not stiffness. And the 90’s being so light that they are less stiff. Like the difference between cromoly and carbon saddle rails or handle bars.
Old 03-03-19, 12:17 AM
Super D

Originally Posted by carleton
First, it matters how much torque you produce.

Let’s say the 90’s are stiffer than the 70’s, if you aren’t strong enough to flex the 70’s, then having a stiffer sole won’t matter.

Also, the difference could be in weight savings, not stiffness. And the 90’s being so light that they are less stiff. Like the difference between cromoly and carbon saddle rails or handle bars.
I hear you, and there are other factors to consider as well, such length of the levers (feet/shoes/soles), angle of the levers under peak torque and where peak torque is applied in the pedal stroke, etc. However, as long as enough torque is applied to induce flex into the less rigid of the two soles (EC70 theoretically), then the EC90 would be advisable to maximize energy transfer (I believe). My question really then comes down to, how much torque is required to flex the EC70, right? It's too bad there isn't a sole stiffness guide, just as there is a sizing guide for shoes. But then we'd need to have some sort of torque measurement per individual, in order to find our place within the guide.

I can generate healthy watts, but if I'm efficient in power application through the pedal stroke, then I'm applying lower torque during each stroke than someone who is less efficient with their pedal stroke, and a stiffer sole may not be needed. In reality, I don't know how much torque I generate and how to match that to a shoe sole. What I do know is, when I swapped to stiffer drop bars and stem on my road bike, the change was substantial. Less flex converted to better energy transfer when sprinting. I think a stiff sole would benefit me similarly in a cycling shoe for track and road racing.

Interesting point you brought up with regard to weight. I'm curious about the real differences between these two soles.
Old 03-03-19, 02:04 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
I'm using Lake CX331's and they're getting pretty tattered. Thinking of trying the Giro Factor Techlace, but damn, are they narrow! Considering whether going to the Trans Boa HV (wider forefoot) is a good decision, or if its EC70 sole would be noticeably more flexible than the EC90 on the Factor shoe.

Someone once told me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between cycling shoe sole materials, but that wasn't quite so. My Lakes are [MUCH] stiffer than my previous shoes. I'd like to stick with a stiff sole like I have now for best energy transfer, but am struggling with shoe width issues. Thinking maybe I should warm up the Factor Techlace uppers, stick shoe stretchers in them and customize. I normally customize my shoes, ski boots, everything. My Lake cycling shoes have been shaped heavily with a spot stretcher, and they fit my feet like they were custom made. Anyway, back to the original question, sorry.

Comparing the EC70 shoe sole flex with the flex of a shoe with the EC90 sole, would there be any noticeable difference in stiffness?

Possible answers include:
A) The EC90 sole is noticeably stiffer than EC70, the 70 is poorer at transferring energy.
B) There is no flex difference between the two.
C) It's Saturday night, and you're posting about carbon cycling sole flex comparisons...Have you ever kissed a girl?
D) Nerd factor 11, on display here, is rarely seen; it's like seeing a comet, the blood moon, or a Keanu Reeves movie with actual acting.

You know Lake offers wide and extra wide, right?
Old 03-03-19, 09:04 AM
Super D

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
You know Lake offers wide and extra wide, right?
Yep, I actually tried the wide, and it was too wide everywhere (I have a narrowish heel), so I opted to just spot stretch the forefoot in the big toe head and the first and fifth met head areas. Came out great, so I figure I'll just do the same with whatever's next. Good not to have to over-crank the boa, straps, etc to keep the feet from moving around.
Old 03-07-19, 08:45 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my recent experience, you can get a pair of Bont Vaypor T track shoes https://www.bontcycling.com/products...r-t/index.html for close to the same money as the other cycling shoes and they are have a wider foot/toe pocket and are semi custom off the shelf. Stiff as hell and comfortable as well.
Old 03-07-19, 01:20 PM
carleton
Elitist

For what it's worth, I've owned (velcro) Bonts, several pairs of Giro Empire, 2 pair of top Fizik (can't recall the model names), and I was really impressed with the latest Specialized shoes.

I hear the lace ups are the jam...for sprinters. Hard to find, though.
Old 03-07-19, 06:41 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
For what it's worth, I've owned (velcro) Bonts, several pairs of Giro Empire, 2 pair of top Fizik (can't recall the model names), and I was really impressed with the latest Specialized shoes.

I hear the lace ups are the jam...for sprinters. Hard to find, though.
Which SPZ shoes? I'm with Sidi (never liked old models, too much move on upper part due weight saving priority) KAOS, very tight and practical on both closing systems - BOAS and nylon ratchet (love it) - and firm enough for track - but looking for some other options.
Old 03-07-19, 07:40 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
For what it's worth, I have two sets of Lakes (both wide fit, LOVE that option), one the lace up and one a boa model. The lace ups are far, far stiffer and more supportive in the upper and the laces allow for a much tighter fit. I don't think I would use a boa shoe for track sprinting. They feel like bathroom slippers in comparison, good for road recovery rides but nothing serious.
Old 03-08-19, 12:35 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Clythio
Which SPZ shoes? I'm with Sidi (never liked old models, too much move on upper part due weight saving priority) KAOS, very tight and practical on both closing systems - BOAS and nylon ratchet (love it) - and firm enough for track - but looking for some other options.
The Sub6.

Regular price $335USD now $200USD. Maybe they are discontinuing them?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=228483-133297
Old 08-19-19, 06:35 AM
tehninjo0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might be a bit late but to answer your original question I find no discernible difference in stiffness between EC70 and EC90 soles. My 5s power peaks out around the 1400W mark.
Old 08-26-19, 08:52 PM
Super D

I ended up getting the Giro Factor Techlace. So far, really like 'em. They seem stiff enough and it's easy to get a balanced fit with the boa top section, plus the lace/strap lower sections. I'd say they are the best shoes out-of-the-box I've had in recent years. I customized my Lakes extensively with a spot stretcher, but no customizations on these yet. I figured I'd break them in, then start customizing, but no hot spots, the heel gets locked in nicely, no issues to address.
Old 09-06-19, 07:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
I ended up getting the Giro Factor Techlace. So far, really like 'em. They seem stiff enough and it's easy to get a balanced fit with the boa top section, plus the lace/strap lower sections. I'd say they are the best shoes out-of-the-box I've had in recent years. I customized my Lakes extensively with a spot stretcher, but no customizations on these yet. I figured I'd break them in, then start customizing, but no hot spots, the heel gets locked in nicely, no issues to address.
I'm sorely tempted.. it's rare I can find my size in a shoe I actually desire.. and so discounted.. It must be model year blow-outs?

Giro Factor Techlace at Steep n Cheap