Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Shoe sole comparison: Easton EC70 Vs EC90, any recognizable difference in flex?

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Shoe sole comparison: Easton EC70 Vs EC90, any recognizable difference in flex?

Old 03-02-19, 08:57 PM
  #1  
Super D
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Super D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 181

Bikes: C'dale Road, Giant TT, DF Track, DB MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Shoe sole comparison: Easton EC70 Vs EC90, any recognizable difference in flex?

I'm using Lake CX331's and they're getting pretty tattered. Thinking of trying the Giro Factor Techlace, but damn, are they narrow! Considering whether going to the Trans Boa HV (wider forefoot) is a good decision, or if its EC70 sole would be noticeably more flexible than the EC90 on the Factor shoe.

Someone once told me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between cycling shoe sole materials, but that wasn't quite so. My Lakes are [MUCH] stiffer than my previous shoes. I'd like to stick with a stiff sole like I have now for best energy transfer, but am struggling with shoe width issues. Thinking maybe I should warm up the Factor Techlace uppers, stick shoe stretchers in them and customize. I normally customize my shoes, ski boots, everything. My Lake cycling shoes have been shaped heavily with a spot stretcher, and they fit my feet like they were custom made. Anyway, back to the original question, sorry.

Comparing the EC70 shoe sole flex with the flex of a shoe with the EC90 sole, would there be any noticeable difference in stiffness?

Possible answers include:
A) The EC90 sole is noticeably stiffer than EC70, the 70 is poorer at transferring energy.
B) There is no flex difference between the two.
C) It's Saturday night, and you're posting about carbon cycling sole flex comparisons...Have you ever kissed a girl?
D) Nerd factor 11, on display here, is rarely seen; it's like seeing a comet, the blood moon, or a Keanu Reeves movie with actual acting.

Last edited by Super D; 03-02-19 at 09:33 PM.
Super D is offline  
Old 03-02-19, 10:22 PM
  #2  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,708
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
First, it matters how much torque you produce.

Letís say the 90ís are stiffer than the 70ís, if you arenít strong enough to flex the 70ís, then having a stiffer sole wonít matter.

Also, the difference could be in weight savings, not stiffness. And the 90ís being so light that they are less stiff. Like the difference between cromoly and carbon saddle rails or handle bars.
carleton is offline  
Old 03-03-19, 12:17 AM
  #3  
Super D
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Super D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 181

Bikes: C'dale Road, Giant TT, DF Track, DB MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
First, it matters how much torque you produce.

Letís say the 90ís are stiffer than the 70ís, if you arenít strong enough to flex the 70ís, then having a stiffer sole wonít matter.

Also, the difference could be in weight savings, not stiffness. And the 90ís being so light that they are less stiff. Like the difference between cromoly and carbon saddle rails or handle bars.
I hear you, and there are other factors to consider as well, such length of the levers (feet/shoes/soles), angle of the levers under peak torque and where peak torque is applied in the pedal stroke, etc. However, as long as enough torque is applied to induce flex into the less rigid of the two soles (EC70 theoretically), then the EC90 would be advisable to maximize energy transfer (I believe). My question really then comes down to, how much torque is required to flex the EC70, right? It's too bad there isn't a sole stiffness guide, just as there is a sizing guide for shoes. But then we'd need to have some sort of torque measurement per individual, in order to find our place within the guide.

I can generate healthy watts, but if I'm efficient in power application through the pedal stroke, then I'm applying lower torque during each stroke than someone who is less efficient with their pedal stroke, and a stiffer sole may not be needed. In reality, I don't know how much torque I generate and how to match that to a shoe sole. What I do know is, when I swapped to stiffer drop bars and stem on my road bike, the change was substantial. Less flex converted to better energy transfer when sprinting. I think a stiff sole would benefit me similarly in a cycling shoe for track and road racing.

Interesting point you brought up with regard to weight. I'm curious about the real differences between these two soles.
Super D is offline  
Old 03-03-19, 02:04 AM
  #4  
Baby Puke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kanazawa
Posts: 1,549

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D View Post
I'm using Lake CX331's and they're getting pretty tattered. Thinking of trying the Giro Factor Techlace, but damn, are they narrow! Considering whether going to the Trans Boa HV (wider forefoot) is a good decision, or if its EC70 sole would be noticeably more flexible than the EC90 on the Factor shoe.

Someone once told me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between cycling shoe sole materials, but that wasn't quite so. My Lakes are [MUCH] stiffer than my previous shoes. I'd like to stick with a stiff sole like I have now for best energy transfer, but am struggling with shoe width issues. Thinking maybe I should warm up the Factor Techlace uppers, stick shoe stretchers in them and customize. I normally customize my shoes, ski boots, everything. My Lake cycling shoes have been shaped heavily with a spot stretcher, and they fit my feet like they were custom made. Anyway, back to the original question, sorry.

Comparing the EC70 shoe sole flex with the flex of a shoe with the EC90 sole, would there be any noticeable difference in stiffness?

Possible answers include:
A) The EC90 sole is noticeably stiffer than EC70, the 70 is poorer at transferring energy.
B) There is no flex difference between the two.
C) It's Saturday night, and you're posting about carbon cycling sole flex comparisons...Have you ever kissed a girl?
D) Nerd factor 11, on display here, is rarely seen; it's like seeing a comet, the blood moon, or a Keanu Reeves movie with actual acting.

You know Lake offers wide and extra wide, right?
Baby Puke is online now  
Old 03-03-19, 09:04 AM
  #5  
Super D
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Super D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 181

Bikes: C'dale Road, Giant TT, DF Track, DB MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
You know Lake offers wide and extra wide, right?
Yep, I actually tried the wide, and it was too wide everywhere (I have a narrowish heel), so I opted to just spot stretch the forefoot in the big toe head and the first and fifth met head areas. Came out great, so I figure I'll just do the same with whatever's next. Good not to have to over-crank the boa, straps, etc to keep the feet from moving around.
Super D is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 08:45 AM
  #6  
Divebrian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my recent experience, you can get a pair of Bont Vaypor T track shoes https://www.bontcycling.com/products...r-t/index.html for close to the same money as the other cycling shoes and they are have a wider foot/toe pocket and are semi custom off the shelf. Stiff as hell and comfortable as well.
Divebrian is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 01:20 PM
  #7  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,708
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
For what it's worth, I've owned (velcro) Bonts, several pairs of Giro Empire, 2 pair of top Fizik (can't recall the model names), and I was really impressed with the latest Specialized shoes.

I hear the lace ups are the jam...for sprinters. Hard to find, though.
carleton is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 06:41 PM
  #8  
Clythio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
For what it's worth, I've owned (velcro) Bonts, several pairs of Giro Empire, 2 pair of top Fizik (can't recall the model names), and I was really impressed with the latest Specialized shoes.

I hear the lace ups are the jam...for sprinters. Hard to find, though.
Which SPZ shoes? I'm with Sidi (never liked old models, too much move on upper part due weight saving priority) KAOS, very tight and practical on both closing systems - BOAS and nylon ratchet (love it) - and firm enough for track - but looking for some other options.
Clythio is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 07:40 PM
  #9  
Baby Puke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kanazawa
Posts: 1,549

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
For what it's worth, I have two sets of Lakes (both wide fit, LOVE that option), one the lace up and one a boa model. The lace ups are far, far stiffer and more supportive in the upper and the laces allow for a much tighter fit. I don't think I would use a boa shoe for track sprinting. They feel like bathroom slippers in comparison, good for road recovery rides but nothing serious.
Baby Puke is online now  
Old 03-08-19, 12:35 AM
  #10  
carleton
Elitist
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,708
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Clythio View Post
Which SPZ shoes? I'm with Sidi (never liked old models, too much move on upper part due weight saving priority) KAOS, very tight and practical on both closing systems - BOAS and nylon ratchet (love it) - and firm enough for track - but looking for some other options.
The Sub6.

Regular price $335USD now $200USD. Maybe they are discontinuing them?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=228483-133297
carleton is offline  
Old 08-19-19, 06:35 AM
  #11  
tehninjo0
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might be a bit late but to answer your original question I find no discernible difference in stiffness between EC70 and EC90 soles. My 5s power peaks out around the 1400W mark.
tehninjo0 is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 08:52 PM
  #12  
Super D
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Super D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 181

Bikes: C'dale Road, Giant TT, DF Track, DB MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ended up getting the Giro Factor Techlace. So far, really like 'em. They seem stiff enough and it's easy to get a balanced fit with the boa top section, plus the lace/strap lower sections. I'd say they are the best shoes out-of-the-box I've had in recent years. I customized my Lakes extensively with a spot stretcher, but no customizations on these yet. I figured I'd break them in, then start customizing, but no hot spots, the heel gets locked in nicely, no issues to address.
Super D is offline  
Old 09-06-19, 07:51 AM
  #13  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 5,090

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D View Post
I ended up getting the Giro Factor Techlace. So far, really like 'em. They seem stiff enough and it's easy to get a balanced fit with the boa top section, plus the lace/strap lower sections. I'd say they are the best shoes out-of-the-box I've had in recent years. I customized my Lakes extensively with a spot stretcher, but no customizations on these yet. I figured I'd break them in, then start customizing, but no hot spots, the heel gets locked in nicely, no issues to address.
I'm sorely tempted.. it's rare I can find my size in a shoe I actually desire.. and so discounted.. It must be model year blow-outs?

Giro Factor Techlace at Steep n Cheap
Sy Reene is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Robert A
Road Cycling
8
01-14-19 01:40 PM
sxevegan
Road Cycling
31
08-12-17 08:59 PM
lennyparis
Road Cycling
4
05-25-17 09:11 AM
clarry
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
19
08-05-13 03:32 PM
GarlandR
Road Cycling
8
01-07-11 03:46 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.