Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

I hate bad people

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

I hate bad people

Old 03-13-19, 02:27 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I hate bad people

I hate bad people. I sold 1 of my 3 bikes in order to buy a recumbent, and found the one I wanted to get, a nice used one that sounds like it is in good condition. Went to Walmart. got a money order, mailed it to my bank, then spent another $18 to replace it because it never reached the bank. I just got an email from the Moneygram people that they won't replace it because it has been cashed. I'm just sad over the whole thing.
Most people I meet are honest and nice and positive, but the ones who aren't can really hurt.
Old 03-13-19, 02:32 PM
Bigbandito
Circus bear

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute 2.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's terrible! Can't the money order people tell who cashed it? Won't they investigate? From what you say it must have been a postal employee or a bank employee?
Old 03-13-19, 02:38 PM
Troul
:D

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
file a police report.

I recommend using a USPS money order if possible.
Old 03-13-19, 03:01 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Why are you buying a money order and sending it to your own bank? You could get one from them directly.
Old 03-13-19, 03:08 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain View Post
Why are you buying a money order and sending it to your own bank? You could get one from them directly.
Banks don't sell MO but I found that confusing as well. In any event, the whole point of the MO is so you can trace it. If it was cashed by someone other than who it was made out to then you get it refunded. Unless you left the payee blank?
Old 03-13-19, 04:23 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Banks don't sell MO but I found that confusing as well. In any event, the whole point of the MO is so you can trace it.
I've always been able to get MO and cashiers checks at my bank as well as notary services.
Old 03-13-19, 04:28 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Sorry to see that. I'd be wanting to track that person down.

Hopefully it all works out in the end.
Old 03-13-19, 04:35 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6558 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 122 Posts
Money orders are the same as cash. Once cashed, it’s gone and not recoverable. That includes USPS money orders.

Been there, lost my money, learned my lesson.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 03-13-19 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 04:36 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
I hate bad people. I sold 1 of my 3 bikes in order to buy a recumbent, and found the one I wanted to get, a nice used one that sounds like it is in good condition. Went to Walmart. got a money order, mailed it to my bank, then spent another $18 to replace it because it never reached the bank. I just got an email from the Moneygram people that they won't replace it because it has been cashed. I'm just sad over the whole thing.
Most people I meet are honest and nice and positive, but the ones who aren't can really hurt.
Sorry to hear, but this needs more clarification. Did you attempt to send the MO to the seller and he never gave you a bike?
I'm not sure what an MO is for unless you send money to someone far away?

If buying in person, cash. or if far away, pay pal. So far I mainly sell, so not sure if my strategy is that safe, though.
Old 03-13-19, 05:18 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

I sold a bike for cash. I no longer drive a car due to health and vision issues, so I bought a Walmart money order at the nearby WM, filled it out payable to my credit union, mailed it. It did not arrive tiomely so I paid for a replacement, Moneygram says no replacement forthcoming because someone cashed it two days ago (not my credit union).
Old 03-13-19, 05:49 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
I sold a bike for cash. I no longer drive a car due to health and vision issues, so I bought a Walmart money order at the nearby WM, filled it out payable to my credit union, mailed it. It did not arrive tiomely so I paid for a replacement, Moneygram says no replacement forthcoming because someone cashed it two days ago (not my credit union).
I am sorry. I still do not understand how this transaction is happening. Why go to Walmart to have a money order payable to your credit union? This part of the transaction simply doesn't compute
Old 03-13-19, 05:49 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 182 Posts
Sorry that you got scammed. Unfortunately it happens all the time. It doesn’t make it right; it is just the way things are.

If I understand it correctly, you sold a bike for cash. Then you used the cash to buy a MO so you could deposit the MO to your Credit Union account. The MO was stolen and cashed and now you are out the proceeds from the sale of your bike. Right?

The situation sucks. Too bad your CU does not have local branches for you to directly deposit the money with them.
Old 03-13-19, 05:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 5514 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 97 Posts
I'd probably spend a few days harassing (figuratively only) a lot of people to find out how that could have happened. The location where it was cashed should be available---so someone illegally cashed a money order made out ot abank (pretty sure the bnk did not take it to some other bank.) I'd also call the local Action news reporter or whatever ... and also post up a storm ont he credit union's web page and Facebook page.

At first people will probably blow you off thinking you will go away, but if a few hundred dollars was stolen By a Bank (a claim you can make) or by someone pretending to be the bank .... It seems you mailed a money order to your bank as a way to make a deposit? (Why not just ... make a deposit? Or why not make out a money order to Yourself?)

In any case ... if you mailed it to the bank and it was cashed, there should be some sort of paper trail. Decide how much you want to out into this ... but if you make enough of a fuss I bet things get fixed.
Old 03-13-19, 06:28 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
I am sorry. I still do not understand how this transaction is happening. Why go to Walmart to have a money order payable to your credit union? This part of the transaction simply doesn't compute
Well, I thought it was safer than mailing cash.

Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
there should be some sort of paper trail. Decide how much you want to out into this ... but if you make enough of a fuss I bet things get fixed.
Moneygram charges $17 for a copy ofthe cashed check, and so I will go back to WM to get that paid. I'm curious, just can't imagine how someone endorsed it with the name of a well known credit union and had to show ID to get it cashed.
Old 03-13-19, 09:09 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
Sounds like it was used as a money transfer?
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post

Sorry that you got scammed. Unfortunately it happens all the time. It doesn’t make it right; it is just the way things are.

If I understand it correctly, you sold a bike for cash. Then you used the cash to buy a MO so you could deposit the MO to your Credit Union account. The MO was stolen and cashed and now you are out the proceeds from the sale of your bike. Right?

The situation sucks. Too bad your CU does not have local branches for you to directly deposit the money with them.
What is local? Somewhere in the city? In the county? In any event, that's one limitation of CU. I maintain a separate re-loadable card just for questionable purposes where your money is protected.
Well, I thought it was safer than mailing cash.
It its; you have a way to trace it. Certainly don't just take their word for it. However, they should be able to track who cashed it. Provided you kept the receipt.

Moneygram charges $17 for a copy ofthe cashed check, and so I will go back to WM to get that paid. I'm curious, just can't imagine how someone endorsed it with the name of a well known credit union and had to show ID to get it cashed.
Neither can I. But you definitely need to find out who chased it and hold them responsible for your refund.
Old 03-13-19, 10:11 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 20 Posts
The solution is to open an account with a bank that has a physical branch within walking or biking distance of your home.
Old 03-13-19, 11:21 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
The solution is to open an account with a bank that has a physical branch within walking or biking distance of your home.
1980s flashback. 😨 Nobody does that anymore. Gotta go with the bank...ahem, financial institution with the most perks. Seldom is that the local bank. Besides, haven't walked into a bank in decades, but I still remember waiting in those horrific long lines. No thanks Jeff.
Old 03-13-19, 11:21 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 Scwinn GTX-3 Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
I've always been able to get MO and cashiers checks at my bank as well as notary services.

Right. Me too.
Old 03-13-19, 11:33 PM
General Geoff

1980s flashback. �� Nobody does that anymore. Gotta go with the bank...ahem, financial institution with the most perks. Seldom is that the local bank. Besides, haven't walked into a bank in decades, but I still remember waiting in those horrific long lines. No thanks Jeff.
Nothing stopping you from having multiple bank accounts. Use the local bank to deposit/withdraw cash, and simply transfer funds to and from your main account at your bank or credit union of choice, via online banking.

Cheaper than taking out money orders at Wally World.

FYI: you can deposit cash via ATM, avoiding those long lines inside. Then use your phone or a computer to simply transfer the funds from that bank account to your linked credit union account. Easy and typically no fees.

Last edited by General Geoff; 03-13-19 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 11:53 PM
KraneXL

Nothing stopping you from having multiple bank accounts. Use the local bank to deposit/withdraw cash, and simply transfer funds to and from your main account at your bank or credit union of choice, via online banking.

Cheaper than taking out money orders at Wally World.

FYI: you can deposit cash via ATM, avoiding those long lines inside. Then use your phone or a computer to simply transfer the funds from that bank account to your linked credit union account. Easy and typically no fees.
I'm pretty sure banks don't offer money orders, but even if they did I wouldn't be cheaper than other vendors. Besides, MO are a transaction away from your account.

And yes, I use all of those functions and methods now that we have the technology to support them. Nevertheless, none of those are instant so people still have to rely on the tellers.
Old 03-14-19, 12:02 AM
General Geoff

I'm pretty sure banks don't offer money orders, but even if they did I wouldn't be cheaper than other vendors. Besides, MO are a transaction away from your account.

And yes, I use all of those functions and methods now that we have the technology to support them. Nevertheless, none of those are instant so people still have to rely on the tellers.
In the OP's situation, a money order would have been completely unnecessary if she had a local bank account in which to deposit the cash, which could then have been securely transferred to her credit union via online bank transfer without risk of a money order being intercepted as it was.

My bank recognizes cash ATM deposits instantly, and all cash funds are immediately available for withdrawal or transfer.
Old 03-14-19, 04:34 AM
cb400bill

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 166 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Foo.
Old 03-14-19, 05:50 AM
blue192

Bikes: Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If you made the money order out to your credit union and have proof that the credit union did not cash it then file a police report. That is the legal definition of fraud.
Old 03-14-19, 06:05 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 302 Posts
In the OP's situation, a money order would have been completely unnecessary if she had a local bank account in which to deposit the cash, which could then have been securely transferred to her credit union via online bank transfer without risk of a money order being intercepted as it was.

My bank recognizes cash ATM deposits instantly, and all cash funds are immediately available for withdrawal or transfer.
So you could deposit, and then withdraw, the same $20 bill, in and out of the ATM all day long? I gotta start banking there.
Old 03-14-19, 06:29 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
With hindsight being what it is, I apologize that what I will suggest may sound snarky. I hate this happened to you.

Set up a PayPal or other online fund transfer system. I mention that one as it is quite popular. This way you can sell something without getting physical cash and make those transfers remotely without having to get out to a bank.
Any time I send something with any remote amount of value via USPS, I always ensure it and with money will typically register it as well. This provides you with tracking as well as verification of who got the package.
Just listening to what you say regarding this doesn't really add up, no offense. Without your leaving blank or writing "cash" on the payee line, it's nearly impossible to fake information on a modern money order original. I know that it is quite possible to fake the money order itself, as I have dealt with that but what are the chances that someone with that technology intercepted your particular letter? Even with organized operation of thieves within the parcel system, that would have been one lucky hit for them. Just the same, I would think it was someone who handled the letter or someone within the banking organization.
I would certainly go further into tracking who cashed it.

For future reference, don't use Western Union. As mentioned there abounds fake money orders under their brand due to them being so popular. I actually think you can use them to make transfers into a bank in the US, but that may depend on location as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.